• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

‘Designer’ babies with made-to-order defects?

cardaway said:
I tried to be clear that I'm talking about serious birth defects, not simple issues with standard corrections like 20/20 vision.

It's likely that at least some of the research being done to cure birth defects will result in gene therapy. If people feel that we shouldn't go that route, should those scientists stop right now and put the time and money towards something else? I'm no expert, but I have to believe that is the only way we can get rid of some of the worst birth defects.
I wasn't refering to you.

I am all for gene therapy. No reason to not try to fix a problem of a person already here, but I would not intentionally bring a child into this world with that defect.

Sandy V. said:
I read an article a while back about a lesbian couple who were deaf. Their first child (conceived through artificial insemination with a sperm donor who was also deaf) suffered profound hearing loss from birth, which is what the couple wanted.

The article focused on their attempts to have a second child and to "genetically engineer" this one to also be deaf. They did NOT want a child that could hear, in large part because they were part of a very distinct deaf community and they wanted their children to be part of it as well. They succeeded - the second child was also born deaf. :confused3

• Most children of deaf couples are actually born hearing. (90%)
  • Those hearing children are considered part of the Deaf community although not one the same level as those born deaf.
  • Most people who are deaf were not born deaf but became deaf later adventiously.
  • Most deafness is not genetic even those born deaf.
  • Less than 5% of deaf people are genetically deaf and can pass it to their children.
  • 90% of deaf children are born into hearing families.
  • Deaf children of deaf adults have an advantage over those born into hearing families because the have language from the start from their parents
While I understand deaf parents wanting deaf children I don't know one that would seek to genetically manuever baby's genes to achieve this. I am sure their are some but the numbers are not high.

There was a report on NPR yesterday. Many couples who are prone to genetic defect are using this technology along with IVF. They only select the embryos that are healthy for implantation.

I can't remember what the condition was, but it was very painful for the children and always fatal. I can understand why people would want to use this technology for this reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter