Your ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GUIDE to Disney World at Christmas Time! UPDATE x2 10/21

I love your dorm room! So glad you lucked out and didn't get a roommate! I love all your posters and Disney stuff everywhere. It is seriously too perfect. I can imagine anyone who visits you is instantly happy because your room is so perfect.

Your update...OMG. What complete and utter perfection. I'm so glad your family got that memory. The cruise sounds so perfect! I wish I could see Fantasy in the Sky! Maybe one day! You are too adorable with those balloons too!

Your update made me so happy and literally brought tears to my eyes! What a perfect NYE!

WOW those fireworks are amazing! I can't believe how much they cost..it doesn't really surprise me when I think about it, but I just can't imagine spending that much on fireworks everyday!
Your dorm room is so cute! Thats awesome you didn't get a roommate. Glad you get to go to Disney in October! Thats exciting! I love the Halloween Party...we are going to the party next Friday!

YOU are a trickster. How did I not know you were going to Disney so soon? But really.

You already know I love your room. And what my theory is about your future starring roles. You're just in denial about it but whatever.

I actually watched the podcast or whatever they call it of the NYE fireworks (I know it's unAmerican but I really really hate going out on NYE. I always feel like I'm going to be killed) and even I was in awe... I can't even imagine seeing it in person from the lagoon. Amaaaazing.

I just really want to go to Disney for NYE now! I want to ride TSM at 3 am!

Fantastic updates! Your family has such amazing memories together.
I really do love all the facts that you gathered from the cruise! Very interesting stuff. The tennis shoes in the trees and Walt never riding Dumbo in public! That is just so important to know for us Disney junkies!
You get some really great family photos. Does your family have Disney photos up all over your house?
I really need you to give me all of your TSM tips. And getting to ride at two in the morning after all the fun stuff you did that day. That is just perfection.

OMG Love the fireworks update and the mickey head photo thing. I may have to borrow that idea for my bedroom!

What fantastic family memories you made on this trip! :yay: A perfect NYE for sure. We took our boys to River Country when they were young. We have cute video of them trying out rope swings, etc. We never made it over to Discovery Island but we could see quite a bit going by in the boat - I remember seeing the shoes. Love all your trip reports - thanks for sharing!

That looks so amazing! I'm totally jealous!

What day are you arriving for Columbus Day weekend? We are leaving that Saturday (Oct. 6) to come home but if you are going to be there a couple days before, I am going to look for you!

Thanks!

We are arriving on the night of the 4th and then staying until the 8th. Maybe we'll see you there!

such amazing updates!!!!!
hope school is going well!
xo

Thank you so much!

I love your dorm room! So glad you lucked out and didn't get a roommate! I love all your posters and Disney stuff everywhere. It is seriously too perfect. I can imagine anyone who visits you is instantly happy because your room is so perfect.

Your update...OMG. What complete and utter perfection. I'm so glad your family got that memory. The cruise sounds so perfect! I wish I could see Fantasy in the Sky! Maybe one day! You are too adorable with those balloons too!

Your update made me so happy and literally brought tears to my eyes! What a perfect NYE!

Thank you! I know, I'm so happy! It's great to have a quiet place to go back to so I can get some homework accomplished. :laughing: Thank you so much! I love it too! And LOL somebody literally said yesterday "I just walk in here and I instantly become happy." :rotfl: So funny.

It seriously was. I had SUCH an amazing time, and we did make wonderful memories for sure! It really was perfect. I hope you get to one day! And aww thank you!

Aww that's adorable! Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

WOW those fireworks are amazing! I can't believe how much they cost..it doesn't really surprise me when I think about it, but I just can't imagine spending that much on fireworks everyday!
Your dorm room is so cute! Thats awesome you didn't get a roommate. Glad you get to go to Disney in October! Thats exciting! I love the Halloween Party...we are going to the party next Friday!

They were! I know, it's absolutely INSANE. But if Disney has the money to spend, by all means please spend it! They make everything perfect!

Thank you so much! And yes, it's a wonderful thing!

I am glad too! I can't even wait! :yay: And ahh have an AMAZING time! I just bought my halloween party tickets tonight! I AM SO EXCITED!!!

YOU are a trickster. How did I not know you were going to Disney so soon? But really.

You already know I love your room. And what my theory is about your future starring roles. You're just in denial about it but whatever.

I actually watched the podcast or whatever they call it of the NYE fireworks (I know it's unAmerican but I really really hate going out on NYE. I always feel like I'm going to be killed) and even I was in awe... I can't even imagine seeing it in person from the lagoon. Amaaaazing.

I just really want to go to Disney for NYE now! I want to ride TSM at 3 am!

Hahaha I didn't publicize it very much, that's probably why. :laughing:

Thank you again! And you're too sweet lol. I hope I'll get cast someday!

I don't blame you... there have been many years where I have stayed in on New Year's Ever! I'm glad you watched the podcast though! It was absolutely INCREDIBLE!

Fantastic updates! Your family has such amazing memories together.
I really do love all the facts that you gathered from the cruise! Very interesting stuff. The tennis shoes in the trees and Walt never riding Dumbo in public! That is just so important to know for us Disney junkies!
You get some really great family photos. Does your family have Disney photos up all over your house?
I really need you to give me all of your TSM tips. And getting to ride at two in the morning after all the fun stuff you did that day. That is just perfection.

Thank you! We really do - I am so thankful!
I know, I was so intrigued by everything! It was awesome!
Thanks! We don't have a ton on display, but there are lots of them in my room!
Haha my biggest tip is just going on it over and over again! It's a matter of getting familiar with the game. And YES that was amazing.

OMG Love the fireworks update and the mickey head photo thing. I may have to borrow that idea for my bedroom!

Thank you! Haha that would be really cute!

What fantastic family memories you made on this trip! :yay: A perfect NYE for sure. We took our boys to River Country when they were young. We have cute video of them trying out rope swings, etc. We never made it over to Discovery Island but we could see quite a bit going by in the boat - I remember seeing the shoes. Love all your trip reports - thanks for sharing!

We really did! It was beyond perfect! :goodvibes Aww that's adorable! It's great that you have video from there! I wish we did. We have a little bit from Discovery Island but not enough for me to really get the layout. And aww thanks! Thank YOU for reading!

No wonder you stopped by MK earlier in the night to take in the atmosphere - so you could go on the most awesome New Year's Eve fireworks cruise ever! That looks like a fantastic experience with your family. :cloud9: (and I love that you got to keep the dessert tray - I could really use one of those red velvet slices right about now :rotfl:)

As fun as it is being in the parks on those days, the crowds are just insane. We had a lot of fun spending New Year's Eve in Epcot (the show is so, so cool, and every World Showcase pavilion is like one big party), but we equally loved watching the MK New Year's fireworks from our balcony at Poly or CR. Now more than ever, I'm missing WDW at Christmastime/New Year (thanks to your report :thumbsup2).

And I love all the trivia. My mom told me I used to love visiting Discovery Island, but I don't remember stepping foot on it. I just remember all the old WDW planning videos that mentioned it. :laughing:

Hi Jess, love your New Year's postings, you have me so excited to spend New Year's there now! I booked my kids in for the pirates league that day and then the pirates and pals fireworks cruise. I also have a BOG ressie for Christmas day! I have to figure out how I can convince my husband to try to get new ressies for Kona and 1900 Park Fare though since I've had to drop both of those! :)

I am all caught up!

What a wonderful New Years Eve! That just got me so excited just by reading it!! Wow, I would love to do a fireworks cruise one day! How magical that it was on New Years Eve! :goodvibes Just perfect!!! <3

Good luck in your second year! Sorry you didn't get cast, but that's only because you're being saved for a way better experience doing something else! ;) I just started my second year too, and I already am sooooo busy!! Plus, I don't have any Internet access in my apartment, so it's really frustrating not being able to go on the Dis! LOL! I make due with the time I have on campus, though! :)

Ahhh!! You have another trip planned I'm so jealous!!

NYE looked absolutely amazing. Again, I'm totally jealous.

By the way, "Africa" is one of my favorite (non-Disney) songs ever! It is the number 1 played song in my iTunes!

No wonder you stopped by MK earlier in the night to take in the atmosphere - so you could go on the most awesome New Year's Eve fireworks cruise ever! That looks like a fantastic experience with your family. :cloud9: (and I love that you got to keep the dessert tray - I could really use one of those red velvet slices right about now :rotfl:)

As fun as it is being in the parks on those days, the crowds are just insane. We had a lot of fun spending New Year's Eve in Epcot (the show is so, so cool, and every World Showcase pavilion is like one big party), but we equally loved watching the MK New Year's fireworks from our balcony at Poly or CR. Now more than ever, I'm missing WDW at Christmastime/New Year (thanks to your report :thumbsup2).

And I love all the trivia. My mom told me I used to love visiting Discovery Island, but I don't remember stepping foot on it. I just remember all the old WDW planning videos that mentioned it. :laughing:

Exactly! :thumbsup2 It was beyond wonderful! And ahhh I want one of those red velvet cakes TOO. They were so so soooo good.

I agree. It definitely is an experience like no other! I need to get back there so I can see the Epcot NYE fireworks! I heard they're unbelievable. But yes, that sounds lovely and relaxing! I wouldn't mind doing that at all! And ahh trust me, I am missing it too!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Aww that's adorable haha. Gotta love those old planning videos! :laughing:

Hi Jess, love your New Year's postings, you have me so excited to spend New Year's there now! I booked my kids in for the pirates league that day and then the pirates and pals fireworks cruise. I also have a BOG ressie for Christmas day! I have to figure out how I can convince my husband to try to get new ressies for Kona and 1900 Park Fare though since I've had to drop both of those! :)

Thank you so much! Ahh I hope you have a wonderful time! That sounds like an AWESOME day! I bet you guys are really looking forward to it! I hope you can get those 2 reservations because those are 2 of my favorite restaurants! Have a magical trip!

I am all caught up!

What a wonderful New Years Eve! That just got me so excited just by reading it!! Wow, I would love to do a fireworks cruise one day! How magical that it was on New Years Eve! :goodvibes Just perfect!!! <3

Good luck in your second year! Sorry you didn't get cast, but that's only because you're being saved for a way better experience doing something else! ;) I just started my second year too, and I already am sooooo busy!! Plus, I don't have any Internet access in my apartment, so it's really frustrating not being able to go on the Dis! LOL! I make due with the time I have on campus, though! :)

Woohoo!

Thank you! I absolutely loved it! I hope you get to do a cruise - it was so heavenly :cloud9:

Thank you so much! Aww thank you :hug: It's probably a good thing - my schoolwork load is going to be through the roof! I completely know how you're feeling! Ooh that stinks about the internet access! I'm sorry about that!

Ahhh!! You have another trip planned I'm so jealous!!

NYE looked absolutely amazing. Again, I'm totally jealous.

By the way, "Africa" is one of my favorite (non-Disney) songs ever! It is the number 1 played song in my iTunes!

I'm SO happy. It's the only thing getting me through this first month of school!

It really was!

Bahaha I LOVE that song! I could see why!

I spent this week reading your entire TR and I must say it's the best I've ever read! I love how thorough you are! It made me almost feel like I was there with you. Thanks so much for all of the time and effort you put into it... it was well worth it! :worship:

I spent this week reading your entire TR and I must say it's the best I've ever read! I love how thorough you are! It made me almost feel like I was there with you. Thanks so much for all of the time and effort you put into it... it was well worth it! :worship:

Aww thank you so much! :goodvibes That really means a lot to me! It was a lot of hard work but I'm so glad that it was worth documenting every little bit! You're so welcome - thank you for reading it all!

Chapter 95: Le Cellier and Pick A Pearl
January 1st, 2012

We all slept in this morning. I actually think I woke up at 9:30, which is kind of early for me at home. But in Disney we all know that’s sleeping in! I don't think I got out of bed until 10 am. Mom didn’t get up until 10 either and that is unheard of for her! I’m turning my family into a crazy bunch.

I posted on twitter:
It's my last day ): wahh. I hope its a good one! Time to make the best of it!

I also retweeted:
RT @DisneyParks: This Day in #DisneyHistory : Elias Disney and Flora Call (Walt’s parents) marry in Akron, FL in 1888. #DisneyFYI

How precious.

We got up and I re-straightened my hair and got ready. It was finally nice and warm out again, so I got to wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt that day. I was really excited about that.

Mom got up and got ready as well, and then we headed over to Epcot! We took the monorails, I tried to catch up a little bit on my notebook, and then before we knew it we were there!

I posted on twitter:
"back to work." - my mother as we walk into Epcot. LOL <3

I entered Epcot, and I’m not kidding you, the crowds DISAPPEARED. It was unbelievable. There was absolutely nobody there. Disney goes from overflowing to a ghost town overnight. It’s insanity.

dsc02173n.jpg

I tweeted:
THE CROWDS ARE GONE.

Some of the Christmas decorations have disappeared and it's making me very sad ):

Christmas Tip #53: If you can't handle the crowds at Christmas time, a very good week to go to Disney is the first week of January. Starting January 1st, the parks are EMPTY.

I personally would LOVE to take a trip where I am there for New Years Eve, and then stay for another week during the early January off season. HELLO perfection. Have the biggest party of the year and then totally chill out for the rest. Sounds amazing, doesn’t it? I better do that while I’m in college because my breaks would work out wonderfully.

We headed straight for Canada for our 11:55 am ADR at Le Cellier. What a great lunch for our last full day! We were still extremely full from the night before, but I could not pass up that ADR. I needed my Le Cellier meal. I love it there SO MUCH!

dsc02183c.jpg

dsc02193zt.jpg

dsc02203vt.jpg

Jon and Dad ended up going to ESPN zone again so it was just me and Mom!

We checked in and were seated within a few minutes. Our waiter’s name was Colin. He was very nice. He had actually heard of the town in Canada where my Grandma lives, which is pretty cool because she lives in an obscure place. He was down on a one-year international program, which provides the CM’s with visas for America. It’s funny because I live so close to Canada, I forget that it’s a "foreign" country. That program is a really great opportunity for him!

I posted on twitter:
My breakfast is going to consist of cheddar cheese soup, pretzel bread, a filet, mashed potatoes, and a chocolate moose #startthedayoffright

We ordered Cheddar Cheese soup to begin! That dang pretzel bread and cheddar cheese soup combo is ridiculously good. Like… AHH I can’t even take it. The cheddar cheese soup by itself is good... but it feels like it’s missing something. The pretzel bread makes it edible heaven. WOW, I think I ate a whole entire stick of pretzel bread and then some. I just never stop with my food.

dsc02233ht.jpg

dsc02243t.jpg

Then for our entrees, I ordered the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon with a substitute of mashed potatoes. I’m telling you, you are not missing out on the risotto if you sub for the mashed potatoes. If you’re like me and are a little skeptical of the risotto, just go for the potatoes. Because they are WAY better than regular old mashed potatoes you can get at any Disney buffet. They are absolutely unbelievable. I just can’t even describe how good they are. That really is the way to go, in my opinion. I think I would tolerate the risotto, but the mashed potatoes are just FANTASTIC.

dsc02273f.jpg

I scraped up every last bit off that plate. WOW it was so delicious! The meat was a little more rare than I usually eat, but I actually didn’t mind it at all. It was just perfection on a plate. I think I actually enjoyed it even more this time than last time. SO GREAT!

Mom ordered the Salmon Burger. She said it was good, but she was SO full because she filled up on that pretzel bread and soup. She ended up only eating the salmon part, and the bread and other sides went pretty much untouched. We were nearing the end, folks, we were finally slowing down and hitting a MAJOR food wall.

dsc02313h.jpg

I posted on twitter:
We ate a meal at Ohana and Le Cellier within 17 hours of each other and we never recovered :P

We finished up our entrees, and then I had to get one of my most favorite desserts in all of Disney – the chocolate moose! Mousse is so much better when it’s in moose form. I mean seriously. It lives up to the name. It tasted absolutely perfect. It was cold and the cookie crumbs on the outside... AHH. Phenomenal. It is divine.

dsc02323cn.jpg

Overview of Le Cellier:
Waiter: Colin
Service: Very good. He was on the quieter side but very nice. He chatted with us for a little bit near the end and he was efficient throughout the meal. 4.5/5
Atmosphere: We were seated in this two person table where there was one booth and one chair. We were extremely close to the other two-person tables that were near us. It was pretty dark in there and the air conditioning was cold. But I mean, that doesn’t break the experience. It was fine, it’s just little things. 3.5/5
Food: Absolutely one of the best meals in the world. Ahhh I really, really, really love it. It just all tastes so good. The flavors of each individual piece of food are so unique and great. They are all items that are truly particular to the restaurant so they’re very special. 5/5

We were brought our check and paid for our lunch, and then we were on our way! The air conditioning was a little cold in there so I was glad to get out into the nice warm sun.

dsc02333v.jpg

dsc02343h.jpg

We started walking thorough the World Showcase. Here's another crowd picture:

dsc02353wh.jpg

DEAD.

A Hidden Mickey in Morocco!

dsc02363l.jpg

I had a fun destination in mind. We had to do something we had never done before – Pick A Pearl in Japan! I swear, if it wasn’t for the DIS, I would have no idea about that place. It really is a hidden gem. I don’t know how people go to Disney without tips from the DIS. It basically saves my life.

We went into Mitsukoshi and found Pick-A-Pearl. There was a big crowd around the table. All of the cast members there have EXTREMELY high energy and they are all super, super cute. Oh my God. I LOVED them. Even the girl at the register was really friendly! I loved that place already.

So first what you do is wait in line at the register. We ordered two pearls. They are $15 each. We got our receipt and our number, which was 6.

They were on number four when we started waiting, which wasn’t too bad. Number four had about 5 oysters going though, so it took a while.

The lady in front of us, who was #5, ended up picking out a SILVER pearl! Oh my God it was beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. They said that only about 5-10% of the people pick out silver pearls, so she was very lucky. The CM was super excited about it.

It was finally our turn and our Pick-a-Pearl CM had us come up to the center. I picked out one oyster and my mom picked out the other. We picked them out of the right side tank.

dsc02413ua.jpg

The CM who was doing this was absolutely fantastic.. Oh my Gosh I LOVED him. He just made me laugh, he was so precious. He started off with our oysters and cut them open with a knife. He got mine first.

He counted down… 3, 2, 1… and opened up the oyster and found my pearl! He showed it to me and got ALL excited “VERY NICE CHOICE! SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COLOR!” He got so incredibly excited for every single person. He probably sees hundreds of pearls a day, and he really makes you feel special and like you accomplished something great. His energy never died down!

I posted on twitter:
The CM's at pick a pearl in Japan are probably the cutest things I've ever seen

dsc02453b.jpg

My Mom was next! She picked out another oyster with a white spot on it. He opened up hers and she got a pearl that had a little bit of a more goldish/copper tint to it than mine. Mine was definitely more white.

He wiped off both of the pearls and then it was time to measure! Both Mother and I got “LUCKY NUMBER 7!” aka 7 mm pearls. I think that’s the perfect size. I guess that 6.5 is the average size. It seemed like almost everybody ahead of us got 7’s as well.

dsc02463q.jpg

It’s a big ol’ celebration! He told us next “I WILL PLAY DRUMS FOR YOU!” and he played us both a little song on the drums. Then everyone claps. It’s adorable.

dsc02483dt.jpg

The CM put the pearls in the salt to “take off the oyster skin” and then he put it in a little zip lock bag. We all bowed and thanked him. That experience was absolutely awesome.

dsc02503k.jpg

But we weren’t done yet! I had ordered Cinderella's Carriage necklaces off of ebay (which you can find for only like $7 – it’s a steal, people) and I brought those and our pearls over to the lady at the register. She put them right in our necklaces and we were all set! It was perfect!

dsc02513eu.jpg

dsc02543y.jpg

I really would recommend this experience. If you buy the necklace off of ebay, you can end up getting a beautiful piece of jewlery for roughly $22-$25 dollars. It’s such a great thing. And it’s so much fun! It is a whole celebration. I absolutely loved it – I was smiling the entire time I was there!

We took a bunch of pictures so we could show off our new necklaces:

dsc02563qj.jpg

dsc02603x.jpg

dsc02613e.jpg

Christmas Tip #54: If you're looking for a fun experience, do Pick-A-Pearl at Mitsukoshi in the Japan Pavilion. The pearls cost $15 each, and they are a great thing to take home! You can either buy jewelry there, or if you search "pick-a-pearl Cinderella carriage necklace" on ebay, you can order a very affordable necklace ahead of time to bring to the park.

dsc02633bdn.jpg

Continued in Next Post

I just ordered 2 of those Cinderella pearl cage necklaces...one for myself, and one for my DD so we can do this in Dec.

Cant wait for our ADR at Le Cellier. We have a lunch ADR on Christmas Day :cool1:

That's awesome that the crowds are gone. I would think it would take a few days after new years to die down.

I love pick a pearl! I did it the last time I was there and my oyster had 2 silver-blue pearls so I had them made into earrings. I absolutely love them. I think I will buy a Cinderella coach necklace for my next trip because they turned out SO pretty! I love the fact hat you and your mom have matching necklaces!

I just ordered 2 of those Cinderella pearl cage necklaces...one for myself, and one for my DD so we can do this in Dec.

Cant wait for our ADR at Le Cellier. We have a lunch ADR on Christmas Day :cool1:

Awesome!! You guys are gonna love them :)

Oh my goodness that is SO lucky! I hope you enjoy your meal! I am really craving that cheddar cheese soup right about now!

That's awesome that the crowds are gone. I would think it would take a few days after new years to die down.

I love pick a pearl! I did it the last time I was there and my oyster had 2 silver-blue pearls so I had them made into earrings. I absolutely love them. I think I will buy a Cinderella coach necklace for my next trip because they turned out SO pretty! I love the fact hat you and your mom have matching necklaces!

I know... but it literally was like night and day! I couldn't believe it.

I do too! Wow, those sound beautiful! I feel like I would really like that color! You should definitely get the necklace for next time :) And aww thanks!

Ok, seriously?! WHERE DID ALL THE PEOPLE GO????

Drooling over your cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread right now.

I LOVE doing pick a pearl and the CMs there are just awesome.

It is so much better to get the Cinderella’s carriage on ebay because they are $45 at Epcot, which is just RIDICULOUS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter