Your Thanksgiving Gravy-quick update page 5

WorldWacky

DIS Veteran
This may seem like an odd question, but what type of gravy do you serve/is served at your Thanksgiving celebration. I ask because for the past 15 years, I've gone to Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws' houses. First my MIL's and now since her passing, my SIL's house. Brown(beef), store bought gravy is what we have. I hated it! It covered up the taste of the turkey, but truth be told, the turkey needed the moisture so I would use it. I'm not knocking it for being store bought, just that turkey gravy is available at the store as well. About 6 years ago, I offered to make the gravy from the pan drippings. Now we have both on the table. SIL's family sticks with the brown gravy (save for one niece), my family goes for the homemade turkey gravy. So out of curiosity...what's on your table?

We are definitely in the pan gravy camp. Most times we even make a quick stock with wing tips etc. Totally turkey ftw!

home made turkey gravy when we have turkey......not having one this year

Homemade in the pan gravy every time. My favorite gravy is ham gravy but I make gravy using the drippings from whatever meat we have.

Gravy made from the pan drippings and turkey broth (which I make from some extra turkey pieces).

McCormick's turkey gravy packet. Perfect gravy every time. I can't make good pan dripping gravy, I just don't have the skill.

Homemade from the pan drippings mixed with the broth from the neck and giblets being boiled. And WITH the giblets chopped up in it.

Homemade in the pan gravy every time. My favorite gravy is ham gravy but I make gravy using the drippings from whatever meat we have.

Ham gravy is my favorite also. MMMmmm. I have to tell you though, we had a ham dinner at my sister in law's house one year (forget what holiday it was) and she emptied a can of fruit cocktail into a saucepan and heated it up and called it gravy. I was like :crazy2:

Sometimes we use the store bought gravy and sometimes we make the pan gravy. Depends on how the day is going. LOL

Homemade gravy. Gravy is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. The people we spend Thanksgiving don't think gravy is a big deal, so they let me make it. They have complimented me on how good it is though. I also boil the neck and giblets for stock, but we don't like giblets cut up in the gravy.

Last edited:
Our Thanksgiving spread has evolved due to diets of those attending the dinner.
DD is vegetarian so there will be a ToFurkey.
Future DDIL is allergic to Turkey so there will be a ham
Our biggest issue is finding a turkey SMALL enough. Pre-ordered a brined 7-10 pounder from Whole Foods this year, and even THAT is too big.

Jarred turkey gravy. Heinz or another national brand. Not canned, not powdered, and NEVER from the pan drippings.

Homemade turkey gravy, always. I start a stock with the neck, giblets, carrots, celery and onions first thing in the morning and top off with broth as the day goes by. Use some for my stuffing then get it going again for the gravy. Mix with the pan drippings, chopped giblets and meat from the neck and man, it is amazing. (If I do say so myself, lol)

Homemade pan gravy made with homemade turkey stock (no parts are in the gravy). I consider my gravy a food group it so good.

Stock also goes in the stuffing.

I make my broth the day before and ready the turkey for the oven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter