Your BEST WDW theme park secret! Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would appreciate being emailed the list also

rtaber @ richlandresources . com

thank you!

I Very Much Appreciate Dcanoli and all her hard work!! :thumbsup2

But....

is this thread EVER gonna go back to its original intent?
It's a Secrets of WDW Theme park thread!

Not an e-mail thread.

Not a learn how to post/subscribe thread.

I feel for all you posting your email addresses on a public board.
You'll learn the hard way I guess :confused3

Ok - vent over. To avoid being a thread waster as well - I found something I'd like to share...
I hope its not already been posted... but I searched and didn't see it...

Every time you see a character at Disney World, a backup is in close proximity. Those costumes weigh about 40 pounds, and there is no air conditioning built in. The maximum time you are allowed to be in costume during summer is 20 minutes, except for parades. So after 20 minutes, a character goes behind the scenes, then reappears. But it's a different cast member!

princess:

Yeah, Y'all should probably just PM your email addys to Dcannoli. They clutter the thread and you never know who is going to get their mitts on them in a public forum....y'know what I mean? :thumbsup2

While waiting in line at HS the last time I looked up some good secrets for Tower of Terror (my favorite ride):

~On the directory in The Hollywood Tower Hotel lobby, some of the letters that have fallen off spell "evil Tower U R doomed".

~The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror was struck by lightning during construction.

~The luggage in the lobby is a complete set made from genuine alligator skin.

~There is a dummy room near the top of the hotel. At night you can see a light in the window where there looks like there is a room. It's really just a light but no real room. (you can see this one while waiting in line for rockin rollercoaster)

~(the worst one) september 1998 Around 9:00am A car malfunctioned sending 20 people crashing down when they weren't supposed to. They were all taken to hospital. An emergency stopping procedure was the only thing that saved their lives. (i've heard this from multiple sites) http://www.themeparkinsider.com/parks/accident.cfm?Attraction=72

thanks to http://www.towerofterror.org/secrets.html

Rock N Roller Coaster Secrets:

~The "chicken exit" is for those who want to experience everything except the actual ride. It can be found having exited the "recording studios" walk along by the side of the fencing to where the first CM allows you to get into boarding area. Behind the CM is a door which takes you through to the shop at the end of the ride.

~When Rock 'n' Roller Coaster had its first birthday, Disney World celebrated it by building a Stratocaster in the parking lot made out of Corvettes.
rnrcorvettess.jpg

~While waiting to tour Studio C, you will hear PA calls for various people. These individuals being called are the imagineers of the attraction.

~The gum on the concrete in the alley on the queue and in the parking garage is fake and was placed there by the imagineers.

~There is space next to Rock'n Roller coaster for another music attraction. (what could they build next?)

thanks to http://www.rocknrollercoaster.com/secrets.html

While waiting in line at HS the last time I looked up some good secrets for Tower of Terror (my favorite ride):

~On the directory in The Hollywood Tower Hotel lobby, some of the letters that have fallen off spell "evil Tower U R doomed".

Last time I looked for this, the letters weren't there :confused3 -- of course it couldn't happen during my solo trip! Had to be when I was "showing off" some of my Disney trivia to friends!!! That'll teach me!

It was the same group, by the way, who were with me when the key was NOT under the mat at Muppets 3D in DHS! :lmao: They stopped listening to me about then :rotfl:

Last time I looked for this, the letters weren't there :confused3 -- of course it couldn't happen during my solo trip! Had to be when I was "showing off" some of my Disney trivia to friends!!! That'll teach me!

It was the same group, by the way, who were with me when the key was NOT under the mat at Muppets 3D in DHS! :lmao: They stopped listening to me about then :rotfl:

It is true--the letters are gone. Not sure if I ever took it out of the original thread document, but yes, that story is true.

Apparently, the Imagineers made a sweep of the ride and put everything back to the way they had originally set it up.

The letters, again apparently, were put that way by Cast Members and not the Imagineers. Word was, that maybe the Imagineers got a little miffed and felt their toes had been stepped on, so the took the letters out and put the directory back to the way "they" made it when the ride opened.

Who knows...maybe it will be like the plates in the HM. Maybe the CMs will put the letters back one day!!!

Also, thank you for the pat on the back, but the above posters are right.

If you post your e-mail address on here, I cannot keep track of who I have sent the document of our thread to. Please either PM or e-mail me personally.

Thanks.

Hi there! I'm new here. I was poking around the site in preparation for my trip to Disney World next month. It's very informative and will likely be a big help in getting my visit planned. Anyway, I was looking at the Best Kept Secrets Section on the main site and I noticed something that wasn't mentioned. I realize that this thread has become very long and the page based on it hasn't been updated in a while. I couldn't find anything about this factoid by searching the forums, but forgive me if it's already been mentioned.

Right in front of the Hall of Fame Tent is a statue of a waterfowl looking character holding up ears of corn. The poem on the base on the statue explains that the figure is "Cornelius Coot," the founder of Mickey's Toontown Fair. Who is this guy? After all, if it's Mickey's Toontown Fair, wouldn't it make more sense to have a statue of the Mouse, or at least one of his ancestors?

Cornelius Coot is a character from Carl Barks's Duck comics. In addition to chronicling Donald's adventures for the comics and creating Uncle Scrooge McDuck, Barks also established that the Ducks' hometown of Duckburg was founded by one Cornelius Coot, who also happened to be Donald's great-great-grandfather. The statue in Mickey's Toontown Fair is pretty much straight out of the comics and may be the only direct tribute to the Good Duck Artist in the Disney Parks (aside from the Barks prints you can find for sale in the various art stores). It was a wonderful surprise the first time my husband and I saw it and we love seeing it whenever we go back to the park.

Hi there! I'm new here. I was poking around the site in preparation for my trip to Disney World next month. It's very informative and will likely be a big help in getting my visit planned. Anyway, I was looking at the Best Kept Secrets Section on the main site and I noticed something that wasn't mentioned. I realize that this thread has become very long and the page based on it hasn't been updated in a while. I couldn't find anything about this factoid by searching the forums, but forgive me if it's already been mentioned.

Right in front of the Hall of Fame Tent is a statue of a waterfowl looking character holding up ears of corn. The poem on the base on the statue explains that the figure is "Cornelius Coot," the founder of Mickey's Toontown Fair. Who is this guy? After all, if it's Mickey's Toontown Fair, wouldn't it make more sense to have a statue of the Mouse, or at least one of his ancestors?

Cornelius Coot is a character from Carl Barks's Duck comics. In addition to chronicling Donald's adventures for the comics and creating Uncle Scrooge McDuck, Barks also established that the Ducks' hometown of Duckburg was founded by one Cornelius Coot, who also happened to be Donald's great-great-grandfather. The statue in Mickey's Toontown Fair is pretty much straight out of the comics and may be the only direct tribute to the Good Duck Artist in the Disney Parks (aside from the Barks prints you can find for sale in the various art stores). It was a wonderful surprise the first time my husband and I saw it and we love seeing it whenever we go back to the park.

:welcome: to the DISboards! :) And great fact!

Here's another "secret" I just learned over from the Details POTD thread -

On the fourth floor of the Contemporary, look near the elevators for a model of the Tower of the Four Winds, a structure that was outside of It's a Small World at the World's Fair.

...well, this was new to me. I'd heard Anita Answers talk about this before, but I don't think it's ever been on our thread. From the latest Allears' newsletter:

Cassie and others write:

I love the walks at Animal Kingdom, but one thing seems to be missing. Where are the boats in the river? The docks are there and it looks like it was planned to be an alternate form of transportation to get around the park. Wouldn't it be wonderful to sit back and cruise through Asia and Africa?

Hi everyone!

There must be a discussion about this taking place somewhere on the web, as I've received three questions about the Discovery Riverboats in the last two weeks. Freshen up your beverage and have a seat. This is a long and sad tale of an attraction gone wrong--very wrong.

When Animal Kingdom opened back in 1998, there was in fact a boat ride that circled Discovery Island (http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_di.htm). That's why those docks are there. These boats may actually hold the record for having the most names ever in an attraction's lifetime. It is certainly a serious contender for most short-lived attraction, as it was only open some 16 months, from April 1998 to August 1999, and was closed for retooling for much of that short time. In fact, it may take you longer to read this than the length of time the attraction was actually open! (Kidding, but only a little...)

So anyway, the Discovery Riverboats (http://allears.net/tp/ak/akdrb.htm), Discovery River Taxis, or the Radio Disney River Cruise (depending on the date of your visit during those 16 months) started off as a good idea, but never really had a chance for success. Why? Well, the ridiculously long wait times didn't help increase its popularity, nor did the fact that after your ridiculously long wait, you got to see exactly...nothing during your trip. Well, not really nothing, because you did get a fairly close up look at the Tree of Life, as well as just about the only view in the park of what would have been Beastly Kingdomme, had it not been placed in limbo due to budgetary problems. You can still see the dragon-head shaped rock waterfall from the bridge to Camp Minnie-Mickey, but you can't see the dragon's cave that used to breathe fire well from anywhere but the river. Since the cave hasn't actually breathed fire in nearly a decade, you're not missing much anyway.

During park previews in March 1998, my friend the Czarina and I braved the ridiculously long wait and rode the boats, where we were treated to a view of... nothing. Less than happy about having wasted a lot of time with it for little payoff, we both wondered what lines would be like once the park was opened for real, and how guests would feel about that lack of a payoff. As it turned out, we were not alone in our consternation, as there were an epic number of complaints about the boats once Animal Kingdom opened.

In addition to being the literal "slow boats", did I mention that the six colorfully painted, natural gas-powered boats (humorously named Darting Dragonfly, Otter Nonsense, Leaping Lizard, Crocodile Belle and Hasty Hippo) were difficult to steer and got stuck en route? One day, I sat at one of the Flame Tree's lower dining areas and watched in fascination as one got stuck near Dinoland, and couldn't get free no matter how it was maneuvered. Another one came along to try and nudge it free, and then they both got stuck. I had to leave before it was resolved, but I knew at that moment this was attraction was doomed. Slow loading, long waits, boring rides and getting stuck along the way did not spell success, if you know what I mean. Sure enough the boat ride closed for good in August 1999.

A couple of years ago, I saw one of the boats on Discovery River with a live band playing on it and then a couple of months later with characters on board waving to the crowds on shore, but no sightings since then. Perhaps someday, if those crazy rumors I've been hearing about a revival of the Beastly Kingdomme concept are true, the boats may make a comeback, and we'll finally be able to see... something. Until then, we'll just have to wait to find out what happens, if anything. Meanwhile, RIP Radio-Disney-Discovery-River-Boats-Taxis-Cruise.

A.A.

===================================

Have still more questions? Then you need still more Anita -- read her weekly column on AllEars.Net! This week, Anita answers questions on making ADRs for two combined parties; Lambert the Lion Video; what happened to the Discovery River Boats; Disney's newest Princess; Characters in Flight balloon attraction; the Cinderella Suite; and the answer to last week's trivia question.

http://allears.net/aa/anita.htm

Since I can't email or PM, will one of you who've received the secrets doc please email it to studio2727@ yahoo.com? Thanks.

I would love a copy of the list!!! Thanks for your work in putting it together. I'll PM you!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter