"You should cancel, your kids are too young"

I was thinking about this thread again today and something struck me about the "They are too young to remember anything" argument.
So by that logic I can pretty much ignore my chidren until they develop long term memory?:rolleyes1

"Mom let's go to the park!"

Sorry son.. I don't plan on doing anything fun with you until your old enough to recall every detail should I chose to give you a pop quiz.:rotfl2:

What ridiculous logic. Yes Disney is expensive .. but I am not taking my 4 yr old so that he can give me a full replay of our entire trip in a year. We just want to see him smile and have fun.

I was thinking about this thread again today and something struck me about the "They are too young to remember anything" argument.
So by that logic I can pretty much ignore my chidren until they develop long term memory?:rolleyes1

"Mom let's go to the park!"

Sorry son.. I don't plan on doing anything fun with you until your old enough to recall every detail should I chose to give you a pop quiz.:rotfl2:

Going to the park doesn't cost 100s of dollars.

Just last week I took my 25mo old and my almost 7 y/o for 9 days 8 nights. Everyone gave me a hard time and told me I should leave my 2 y/o @home. I was so nervous before the trip because of everything that they had said. He was a DREAM!!!!! He loved everything about the parks. Loved the boat ride from WL, loved the buses, loved the characters, loved everything!!! I would have regreted it so much if I had left him behind with my aunt. It was an amazing trip. My almost 7 y/o was more trouble than my 2 y/o. He refused to nap & ended up exhausted and comlpained a ton. It was the best desicion ever to bring him.

It's your vacation and your kids. Geesh.

Yes its true your two year old is not likely to remember any of it but hey that kid will have fun none the less. And your four year old will remember it.

Not only that...you'll have the memories! My parents still have memories as do I of visiting Disneyland when I was just a little over four years old...and that was 28 years ago!

Have a great trip :) and take lots of pics of the kids reactions to parades and shows. Those are the keepers...seeing Disney through them!

You're children are the perfect ages, I took both my kids when they were 2 1/2 years old. Your friends and family are jealous. First you going to Disney :cool1:
Secondly you're staying at the poly:woohoo: Don't worry about them and have an awesome time. I feel so bad for you because your so happy and excited to be going and they shoot you down, sometimes you just can't figure people out:confused3 . Anyway have a great trip and you will see plenty of people with children younger than yours. Enjoy and don't listen to them, they wish they were going to stay at the Poly that's all

We took my nephew to DL when he was 11 mos and WDW when he was 2. We went back last year when he was 6 and my niece and DD were 2. I'm taking DD again this year at 3. And I hope to go next year when she is 4 too. Every trip I have had people say they are too young. Why don't you wait? My sister and I tell people, "Every age is perfect for Disney, you just just find something different that you like at each age." Fortunately, my family gets it. But friends and even random strangers that hear us talking about WDW will say that we should wait until the kids are older. For some reason they never seem to be able to tell me what age older is.:rolleyes1 I've enjoyed every trip so far regardless of the age of the children with me. Have fun on your trip. Your kids will love it. I have the cutest picture of DD sitting in Cinderella's lap with the biggest smile ever that was worth the whole trip.

I have heard this many times since I booked our first-ever family vacation for Jan. Our kids will be 2 & 4 when we go for 6 nights, 7 days to WDW. We are staying on the monorail at the Polynesian and plan to just take it easy and do what ever the kids want, no big plans or expectations.

Why do people ("friends & family") feel I want their opinion of what we should do? I NEVER ASKED! I told them about the trip, because we are excited!:banana:

I just had my friend tell me this for the second time today, and I am very irritated.

Any advice?

First time we went my youngest was 2..she still remembers it and she's 8 now. Some 2 yr olds are nightmares...I know...lol.. but ignore everyone and have a blast!!!

My 4 y/o LOVED disney! I don't know if she'll remember it in 10 years, but who cares! I will remember it and we have hundreds of pics to remind us of the trip too.

On the same line, I hate it when people tell you you shouldn't go because it costs too much. I've gotten that a few times. It's not their $$!

It drives me nuts when people say "why would you want to go to WDW with your young kids - wait until they can at least remember it"!!! My answer is "why wouldn't we". Families go on trips to enjoy it while they are THERE. We've been to DW more times than we can remember and each time we explore and discover a new attraction, show, restaurant, special activity - isn't that what it's all about?
As long as I live I will remember the look of awe on my 2-year old daughters faces when they first saw Cinderellla's
Castle, as they say "Priceless".
Anyone who tells you to wait until they are older is just plain 'ol jealous! And who says you can only go once!!!
Enjoy, take plenty of photos and put them in a great scrapbook for your kids to "remember" their trip.

I am 41 years old and remember bits and pieces from my second trip (the first being when I was 6 months old) to Disneyland at the age of 2. I have loved anything Disney ever since!

I think those are good ages. Just remember to keep your 2 year old in a stroller and not running wild in front of you and getting in peoples way. And have your 4 year old in the stroller or holding on to it for the same reason. If they need a break out of the stroller find a play place for them to burn off some steam. Just don't assume your kids are the only ones there to enjoy Disney and keep in control of them.

This from a mom of the most stubborn, run all over, I don't want to hold hands girl you have ever met. If she didn't behave in her stroller or hold on to it or hold hands we left. No funny business, there are other guests that need to be taken into consideration.

Those are the best ages to see the magic through their eyes!!!:love:

We took dd at 8 and I thought she was t old to see the magic of the princesses..We just couldn't afford to do it at a younger age.

We just went again this April dd 12 and dd 2 1/2 My little one had so much fun!! She still keeps on signing the songs and asking to go back to see MICKEY!!
Plus this is something I will never forget!

They're just jealous!

Agreed.....I too got this when we took her to Disney at 4 and when we began to homeschool at 5. Four Disney Trips and three years of homeschooling later no one says a word. Now we homeschool in Disney. :rotfl2:

Agreed.....I too got this when we took her to Disney at 4 and when we began to homeschool at 5. Four Disney Trips and three years of homeschooling later no one says a word. Now we homeschool in Disney. :rotfl2:

Hey! We're starting off our homeschool year at Disney! Aug 25! I'm just starting to HS our son going into first grade. HS'd oldest dd 1st through 7th and we did a lot of homeschooling at Disney he he ie: Epcot World Showcase, Hall of Presidents, Future World, Animation at HS, animal kingdom.

My son LOVES Geography so I have told him that we are getting off the plane and getting on the MAGICAL bus to Disney World and while we're there, we get to go around the WHOLE world in ONE day! He's getting into it!

I got all sorts of grief from family and friends, and still do, for our travel choices and homeschool choices.

My best friend gave me a horrible time about taking the kids to Disney. They JUST went two years ago blah blah. It does hurt.

I have had many well meaning (I hope) friends judge my going overseas for a week here and there and leaving the kids at home (not alone of course)
Took my oldest to Italy this year and got the "she won't appreciate it" speech. Well, then she can go back when she's an adult if she doesn't pay close attention at the Uffizi Gallery! Geesh! Everyone said "wait till she's older" "wow, that's some 16th birthday gift" "spoiled child" etc. We met a lady one night at our hotel lounge and we were talking about this and she said to me "don't wait. you live. and you live NOW. Trust me, I have stage 4 breast cancer and I wish I hadn't purposely 'waited' so much" Chills!!!!

My thoughts are, as others have said, YOU will remember it and you will have those memories. Don't wait. We only have today. We do not own tomorrow.

Don't let anyone ruin your fun or question your choices. You are the parents and you know how to care for your children.

Have fun!

Julie

Everyone told us not to take our then 2 year 10 month old daughter. We took her she loved it and 2 years later she still talks about it, loved it. We're taking her back again in October . Tell whoever says you shouldn't take them tell them to ZIP it.:thumbsup2

I think so many people only plan on one Disney trip. In their minds it makes sense to wait until every child will remember it. For those of us lucky enough to go multiple times, that just isn't an issue. My oldest went the first time at 18 months, my second child was 14 months and the third one will be a little over 2 when we go in November. The two oldest had a lot of fun and my husband and I have great memories. We are of the "we'll be back so we don't have to to it all right now" philosophy and that makes a huge difference. We take afternoon swims or naps--depending on the ages--and don't try to do everything. On some trips we may even skip an entire park. I think one time we tacked on a few days after a Vero Beach trip and just did Typhoon Lagoon and the Magical Kingdom the night of one of the Mickey Christmas parties. Otherwise we spent time at the pool, the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. Both of my oldest girls spent time following the birds on the boardwalk and we have great memories of that.

That being said, if we only planned on doing it once, we still wouldn't have gone. I think by the time we would be ready my oldest would be missing a lot of the magic.

Have a fabulous time!!!

VERY good point, mumto3girls! I never thought about it from that point of view. Even living in the middle of the country, where flights are pretty darn expensive for a family to get down there, we are very lucky to be able to go to WDW more than one time. (Oct will be my 16th trip!)

To me, a 'once in a lifetime trip' might be something like a trip to India or China (name whatever destination is exotic to you and you might only go once). But for many people WDW is that once in a lifetime trip.

I agree with Mumto3Girls, most people think that Disney is a once in a lifetime trip. (My DH tended to have that kind of attitude, till I straightened him out! haha He has NEVER been to Disney and doesn't understand what all the hype is about. Our girls will be 2 1/2 and almost 4 when we go next year and he also thinks they are too young, they won't remember, they won't appreciate it....blah blah blah I have explained to him, however, that this will be just the first of MANY trips and that at this age it will be the most magical!)

My best friend gave me the same lines, "They won't remember anything" but as many others have said "I WILL!" I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces when they meet all the princesses and when they meet Minnie and Mickey and Pooh! DD is only 2 1/2 now and she already asks me, "Mommy are we going to go to Hotel Poly today and play at the beach? Are we going to see Cinderella's Castle today? Mommy I want to go on the plane and eat dinner with Mickey Mouse" She can even remember that she lost her green shovel at the beach over a year ago. Kids DO remember tihngs...maybe not every little detail but they will talk about it for months and years to come. And your family memories will be cherished FOREVER!

Just enjoy your trip. I think most people are jealous for one thing and the other is that I think they feel it's something that can only be done once. Not true at all as WE all know!

I have heard this many times since I booked our first-ever family vacation for Jan. Our kids will be 2 & 4 when we go for 6 nights, 7 days to WDW. We are staying on the monorail at the Polynesian and plan to just take it easy and do what ever the kids want, no big plans or expectations.

Why do people ("friends & family") feel I want their opinion of what we should do? I NEVER ASKED! I told them about the trip, because we are excited!:banana:

I just had my friend tell me this for the second time today, and I am very irritated.

Any advice?

I seem to notice that when it comes to raising kids EVERYBODY has an opinion!:confused3 I really loooovvvee the people with no children who give me advice :lmao:

They all said the same thing to me when we took our daughter for her first time to celebrate her 6th birthday -and she was fine! I didn't push her to do anything she didn't want to and was fully prepared that the hotel poll was the biggest thing to her LOL! Anyway I know how you feel-I just say what I say when my DH and MIL told me they didn't think I should have any pain meds during labor-"thanks for your OPINION, I'm glad you got to express it-now get me the DRUGS!!"

Have a wonderful time with your family!:grouphug:
Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter