You Said What to Alice and the White Rabbit?-the end, 1/10 pg 15

Yippee!! You are starting your report! I can't wait to read all about it since we never managed to meet up (and really - with as long as we were both there - how did that happen?!:confused3)

Now, I need to get started on a report of my own!

Not sure! I always have the best laid plans and something never pans out! You need to get that trip started! :)

Great start! I have a "tween" and two teens of my own so I know what you are going through. Not sure which one is better though. :rotfl: There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My DD 19 is so nice and loving now. I think going away to college really helps them grow up and they realize just how much we do for them. You just have a few more years and all will be right with the world again. :)

Can't wait to hear all about the AKL. It looks beautiful.

Glad you are here! It is beautiful. I could have stayed there and explored every day. Boy, I sure hope there is light at the end of the tunnel or I will not survive. :sad2:

I'm here. Going back to read.:cool1:

Great start- A tween boy - good heavens you never know what will come out of their mouth next. :scared1::lmao:

Yes, you NEVER know! I still have to figure out the appropriate way to let you guys know what he told Alice without getting kicked off the boards! :confused3

Can't wait to read along!!!

Caught up to say that I can't wait to see your AKL view, and hope you love BLT as much as I do!!!

These cliffhangers are killing me!

Okay, I am going to do an update today! Part of the suspense will be over then. We :love: BLT. I really want to stay at all the DVC resorts eventually but I could kick myself for giving up that ressie for Thanksgiving to spend a few days the Boardwalk.

Present, and looking forward to your report.:surfweb:

Glad you are here! :)

Checking in before I head off to make pancakes for the camp gang. I will be along for your trip fun.

And you will be an appearance as well!!! :hug:

I'm here!! Thanks for the PM!!

Sounds like a great trip with lots of interesting stories. I can't wait to her them all. :banana:

It was lots of fun--probably one of the best trips we ever took to Disney. I can't wait to share it all with you. :)

Yay! You have started your trip report. I am very excited. :banana:

Thanks! I can't wait to share it all with you.

Here for all the fun!!! :yay:

Joining in :)

Hey your leaving me in suspense! LOL Cant wait to read more!

Post coming later today that will get rid of part of the suspense! Glad you are here for the fun! :)

So glad to see you started your report! Can't wait to hear all about your trip :cool1:

I can't wait to share it all with you. We had the best time. :)

I'm HERE!!:wave2:

I am SO excited to hear all about the Tween-ness, because you KNOW I'm in the exact same boat!!

Your reasons for driving are identical to ours... Atlanta at 2 am is probably the best reason!! :goodvibes

Ready for more! And I'm glad you are feeling better!

I want to know when there became such a thing as a tween! Good grief! Didn't they know it would be more headache for parents! :rotfl2:

Love Atlanta at 2 am! We hit it at about 10:30 am on the way home and Jeremy thought it was really cool to see the big Delta jets coming overhead. That is the only advantage to driving it during the day!

Yes, I am feeling much better! Tom had pneumonia and I had pink eye last week. :sick: It was definitely not a fun week.

great start! im looking forward to hearing more!

Glad you are here! Update coming soon! :)

great start!! Cant wait for more:cool1:

So glad you made it over from the pretrip. Not sure I responded on that one but I am really glad you are here! It is going to be a lot of fun.:)

I'm in! Can't wait to hear all about your trip! :thumbsup2

It was lots fun! Glad you are here! :)

Yay!!! Joining in!!!

Welcome! Update coming soon! I hate that we didn't get a chance to ever meet up. :)

I'm here !!! I'm so excited for this TR!! WOOT WOOT!!!

I :love: your WOOT WOOTS! I may have to still that one!! Glad you are here-WOOT WOOT! :)

I'm here too!! I love the pic of Jeremy under the sign. I did not even realize he was there until you mentioned it.

Cannot wait to hear more about it.

My camera gave me fits the entire trip. I wanted to take another picture but when I looked behind me I noticed we had woke somebody up sleeping in their car. I felt so bad so I didn't dare try to get one where you could really see him.

You even told me about starting your TR and I still didn't make 1st page! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I loved your intro & can't wait to hear more!!! You're doing another update today, right? ;) Just kidding!!! No rush at all! (I am one to talk, right? It took me over 8 months to finish a 10 day report!) I just love reading your reports because you always include the "hints" for the next update & include questions for us to answer! Your reports are soooooo much fun!!! It will definitely get me through the next 55 days I have until Disney!!! Woohoo!!!

I cannot wait to hear what Jeremy said to Alice & the White Rabbit!

You even told me about starting your TR and I still didn't make 1st page! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I loved your intro & can't wait to hear more!!! You're doing another update today, right? ;) Just kidding!!! No rush at all! (I am one to talk, right? It took me over 8 months to finish a 10 day report!) I just love reading your reports because you always include the "hints" for the next update & include questions for us to answer! Your reports are soooooo much fun!!! It will definitely get me through the next 55 days I have until Disney!!! Woohoo!!!

I cannot wait to hear what Jeremy said to Alice & the White Rabbit!

You are so sweet! :cutie: Thanks! I think you made the very first post on my pre-trip didn't you!

Oh, 55 days! I hope they fly by for you. :thumbsup2

What Jeremy said is a doosie! I have to make sure I find a way to tell it in an appropriate way that will not get me kicked off the boards! :confused3

Update will be up in a few!

Before I start the next update, I wanted to add a little more info about the drive down.

First of all, I have renewed a passion of mine this summer-reading! I used to always read all the time. However, the past few years I would push it to the side while I took care of other things. I decided that this was going to be the summer to break that cycle and I have been reading non stop since June. I don't watch a lot of television other than my daily soaps and the news (yes, I am addicted to the news and to soap operas!). You will now find me reading at lunch and before bed and any other "me" time that creeps into the day. I also have a new favorite author--Nicholas Sparks. I have read about every John Grisham book out there so I spent some time meandering over the books at the library and saw where he wrote the books to some of my favorite movies-Dear John, Message in a Bottle, The Last Song. So, 2 of his books made their way with me to Florida. Jeremy also recently checked out Kingdom Keepers 1 at the library which I read and yes, I am addicted to those as well! Kingdom Keepers 2 came with me to Florida as well and I can't wait to get to the library tomorrow as #3 is waiting for me there!

Why do I mention this? Well, it was relaxing to enjoy Disney with my family and to spend some time reading by the pool, the balcony, and most excitedly, in the car!!! I can finally read in a car without getting sick which made those hours of daylight where I was awake and Tom was driving just fly by. And yes, all three books were read by the time we arrived back in Ohio.

So, I am always looking for new authors so if anyone has read a good book lately, please share it throughout my report!

The next thing I wanted to mention before the update is my newly acclaimed Tween. First, when did the word Tween come into existance? I was never called a tween. Didn't even know what that was until recently! Jeremy first took over the title this summer when he signed up for the summer reading program and he was put in the "tween" group (age 9-12). He is 9 and I would have never thought of him as a tween. However, I soon realized that was the oh so obnoxious, know it all, don't need my parents who are no longer cool, mr. independent, want my own way boy who thinks grumbling can be fun who really doesn't consider himself a tween but a teenager! :confused3 The first sign came on the way down when out of the blue Jeremy informed us that meeting characters was for babies and please don't ask him to as it will not happen. No exceptions! Now, you already know that didn't happen as my title suggests he did meet Alice. There were very rare occurences when the child came out and oh, how I did enjoy those moments of seeing the innocence back in him. However, there were many times when the grumbling got the best of me with him and the ride down was one of those. The music we were listening to was not what he wanted to hear, and no way was he watching Chicken Little on the DVD when Pirates of the Caribbean could be watched. Seriously! I was relieved when he went to sleep!

So, enough ranting! We had just arrived at Walt Disney World. We hadn't planned any parks for the day. It was going to be a resort day, but first we had to stop and make a big purchase. We headed to Downtown Disney and stopped at guest services and purchased our very first annual pass!! :dance3: I was soooo excited! I had never gotten annual passes before and this was huge for me! It meant there would be more trips to come. In all of my excitement, I left the camera in the car so there are no pictures. :confused3Tom's annual pass is Mickey, mine is Pluto, and Jeremy's is Donald Duck.

With annual passes in our hand, we headed to the car and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Once again, the camera is tucked away in the back so no pictures as we approach the gate but here is one of Jeremy as we are walking in.

IMG_5215-1.jpg

I had this nice Castmember in training check us in. He was from Michigan and we had a nice chat about the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry. He got a kick that I was not an Ohio State fan but a UK Wildcats fan. When you are born in Kentucky, you naturally bleed blue even when you move to Ohio!!! What can I say! :rotfl2:

He said our room wasn't ready but told me the general area it was. Okay, I panicked but didn't say anything to him. It was in an area of the Kudzu trail. Now, I thought a standard view at Jambo house for DVC was of the pool. I was worried we were going to be looking at a parking lot or some maintenance entrance for the next 5 days. He took my phone number and said a text would be sent once the room was ready. This was about 10:30 am in the morning so no biggie. I quietly conveyed my worries to Tom but also told him that maybe we would have some Disney pixie dust coming our way and it would be a savannah view. We kept quiet with our fears and hopes as to not disappoint Jeremy.

We decided to do some exploring. We toured the lobby, the pool area and went out to see what animals could be seen from the Arusha Rock. This is what I found.

IMG_5217.jpg

Yes, a lizard! I hate lizards. Not too long ago one got in my house and I about died!

I took a few pictures but my excitement was making me forget to take pictures.

IMG_5216-1.jpg

We decided to cool down and enjoy lunch at the Mara. This place was a little confusing to us and we had never done counter service where you order and pick it up later. Tom had a burger, Jeremy the cheese flatbread, and I had the turkey ciabalta (not sure of the spelling) with cuscus (one again, not sure how to spell). I loved the cuscus!!! My dessert was zebra domes!!! Those things were great and did not bother my band like other desserts will. Of course, I couldn't eat it all and the boys shared what was left.

It was about 1 p.m. and we still had not gotten a text. Jeremy wanted to swim so I went and got our bag of swimsuits out of the car and he and I changed in the restrooms and headed to the pool. Tom wasn't feeling it so he was going to sit in the lobby with my phone and let us know when the text would come.

Jeremy and I enjoyed the pool until about 2 pm when the skyies opened and it started pouring rain. We changed and found the rocking chairs to enjoy looking at the Arusha savannah. I sent Jeremy to find his dad and he comes back to let me know he found him but he was asleep in the lobby! :scared1: Okay, I could have died at this point. When Tom goes to sleep he snores---VERY LOUDLY. I sent Jeremy back to wake him up.

Guess what, he was already awake as the snoring was getting so loud that a cast member came over to check on him. :rolleyes1 Once again, I could have died!

(Bare with me, there is a lot of narrative today but the pictures are coming!)

So, 3:00 rolls around and we still don't have a text that the room is ready. Tom decides to go to registration and see what is going on. Now, this is the point where a cast member could have really ruined the beginning of the trip. Thank goodness, Tom was determined to not let people, crowds, and even rude cast members get to him or it could have spelled disaster. He goes up and explains that we have been there since 10:30 and have never gotten a text about the room, it is now past check in time and we still don't have a room. The cast member looks it up and says and I quote "Oh, you are staying DVC, their check in is at 4. We have an earlier check in for our PAYING GUESTS. We have to take care of them first." He wouldn't call housekeeping to see when it would be ready but told Tom to come back at 4 pm. Tom thanked him and walked away. I was shocked that he didn't go off on him!

Here is my comments to this: First, in all my Disney knowledge, how did I miss that DVC check in is at 4 pm. Second, uh, excuse me, I think I have committed to paying for Disney for oh, I don't know 40 years!!!! So, please don't insult me that way.

So, 4 rolls around and still no room. It had let up raining so Tom and Jeremy went to get some of our luggage so we would have it when the room was ready. I went back to registration and got a nice CM who had someone go physically check the room and in fact it was not ready. However, she gave me another one. Once again, I was perplexed as it was at the end of the Arusha savannah and the Uzima savannah.

(continued in next post)

It was a long walk to Room 5547. I took some pictures when we entered.

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

Wait a minute, I took those after we stopped jumping up and down because guess what view we had!!!

We were looking at the end of the Arusha savannah and Uzima was in the distance. :cloud9: :wizard:Pixie dust had come our way!

Those are zebras in the distance.

IMG_5219.jpg

This is where the fencing separates the savannahs. The giraffes are on Uzima.

IMG_5228.jpg

I loved watching these African Cranes!

IMG_5229.jpg

We all got showered as we had a Boma reservation at 6 pm that evening. I had to get some more pictures before we leave.

IMG_5227.jpg

Those are gazelles and a wildebeast in the background.

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

Up Next:

Dinner at Boma
Exploring the Lodge
What is wrong with Tom?
Where do we head the first day?
What goes squeak squeak in the night?
What surprise did the African cranes leave the next day?
Where did we meet the nicest cast member ever?

I'm chuckling at the image of your husband loudly snoring in AKL. :rotfl2: Luckily Marc's snoring has gotten much better but I feel your pain! It is not pretty to listen too.

What an AWESOME view in your room. I think I would have slapped that CM. My goodness, how freaking rude! I'm glad you didn't have to deal with that rude CM, men can let things like that roll off their shoulders much more easily then us women most of the time.

Tween. *Shudder* I can't even imagine that age. I wish you lots of pixie dust! :wizard:

Seriously? That CM referred to you as a 'non-paying' guest?! Tom handled the situation much better than I would have, I don't think I would have been able to let that comment slide :sad2: At least you ended up with a great view for your trouble though!

What a stressful way to start your vacation.

That CM was a piece of work, implying that you are not PAYING customers. I think I was have set him straight and requested another CM to help me. :sad2:

:woohoo: On getting that savanna view after all.

I'm curious to know what was said to Alice. I have a new 9 year old TWEEN also. Boy, is it fun.:rolleyes1

I'm chuckling at the image of your husband loudly snoring in AKL. :rotfl2: Luckily Marc's snoring has gotten much better but I feel your pain! It is not pretty to listen too.

What an AWESOME view in your room. I think I would have slapped that CM. My goodness, how freaking rude! I'm glad you didn't have to deal with that rude CM, men can let things like that roll off their shoulders much more easily then us women most of the time.

Tween. *Shudder* I can't even imagine that age. I wish you lots of pixie dust! :wizard:

Tom's snoring is so bad that if I don't fall asleep first, I have to go to another or be up all night. Luckily for me, he was diagnosed with sleep apnea a year ago and wears a cpap at night so I sleep really well when that is on.

The view was awesome. Honestly, I could have stayed at the resort every day and been happy sitting on the balcony. The animals seemed to always congregate there in the evening and mornings. I know one thing, I will never want to stay at AKL again unless it is savanna view.

Tom was actually a lot calmer than normal. He is not a big crowd person so sometimes people can really bother him at Disney. He promised he would be on his best behavior this trip so he didn't want me upset to begin with. I, on the other hand, would not have left until a manager and the employee had apologized profusely!

Seriously? That CM referred to you as a 'non-paying' guest?! Tom handled the situation much better than I would have, I don't think I would have been able to let that comment slide :sad2: At least you ended up with a great view for your trouble though!

I agree, patience paid off in the end. That view was amazing. Luckily, that was the only rude cast member and actually person we encountered the entire trip.

What a stressful way to start your vacation.

That CM was a piece of work, implying that you are not PAYING customers. I think I was have set him straight and requested another CM to help me. :sad2:

:woohoo: On getting that savanna view after all.

I really think a manager heard him say that to Tom as when we came back to the lobby he was never back out on the front line.

Savanna view was awesome! I have a ton more pictures for the next day and we had something we thought was awesome happen that day as well. However......I probably won't get that post up until later next week. I have a Dis Meet this week in Charlotte.......:rolleyes1 Really looking forward to meeting you! :hug:

I'm curious to know what was said to Alice. I have a new 9 year old TWEEN also. Boy, is it fun.:rolleyes1

Bless you heart! I can really feel for you. It happens on the last day of our trip. I thought Tom's snoring was embarrassing but Jeremy's incident put the icing on the cake!!!

What a great update! Karma was on your side on this one!!! I would have been fuming. Kudos to Tom for not flipping out. Did you go mention this at guest services? The DVC rooms look so nice!!! Someday...

It was great meeting you and your family today. Thank you so much for lunch.
IMAG0046.jpg

Have a safe trip back home.

Jeremy and I enjoyed the pool until about 2 pm when the skyies opened and it started pouring rain. We changed and found the rocking chairs to enjoy looking at the Arusha savannah. I sent Jeremy to find his dad and he comes back to let me know he found him but he was asleep in the lobby! :scared1: Okay, I could have died at this point. When Tom goes to sleep he snores---VERY LOUDLY. I sent Jeremy back to wake him up.

Guess what, he was already awake as the snoring was getting so loud that a cast member came over to check on him. :rolleyes1 Once again, I could have died!

I got a good laugh from this. I am a snorer, too. A LOUD one. Heaven help whoever would be around in a lobby if I were to fall asleep. They'd be checking the Richter Scale to see how severe the earthquake was.

You guys have not even gotten to the good part yet. ;)
You are going to have more 'fun' than you could ever imagine.

The good part is, they do come out of it on the other side of tweendom/teendom, and they actually end up being pretty awesome people. :goodvibes

Sorry you had to wait so long for your room to be ready! But hooray :banana: for Savannah view!!! :banana:

Great view! So nice that you ended up with a Savannah view!

Can't believe what the CM said! :eek:

Too funny about your husband sleeping / snoring in the lobby! :rotfl:

What a great update! Karma was on your side on this one!!! I would have been fuming. Kudos to Tom for not flipping out. Did you go mention this at guest services? The DVC rooms look so nice!!! Someday...

No, I never reported it. I didn't want to let it ruin the trip. Yes, karma was on our side. Savanna view was awesome!

It was great meeting you and your family today. Thank you so much for lunch.
IMAG0046.jpg

Have a safe trip back home.

It was our pleasure. We had a great time!

I got a good laugh from this. I am a snorer, too. A LOUD one. Heaven help whoever would be around in a lobby if I were to fall asleep. They'd be checking the Richter Scale to see how severe the earthquake was.

You guys have not even gotten to the good part yet. ;)
You are going to have more 'fun' than you could ever imagine.

The good part is, they do come out of it on the other side of tweendom/teendom, and they actually end up being pretty awesome people. :goodvibes

Sure hope so! Too funny about you snoring!

I'm here....finally!! :) Cant wait to get all caught up!

Glad you are here Heather! Hope you are doing well. Have you moved?

Sorry you had to wait so long for your room to be ready! But hooray :banana: for Savannah view!!! :banana:

Yes, it was so worth the wait!

Great view! So nice that you ended up with a Savannah view!

Can't believe what the CM said! :eek:

Too funny about your husband sleeping / snoring in the lobby! :rotfl:

Glad you are here! We loved the view. I was so embarrased with him. I am just glad Jeremy was the one who found him!

I'm so curious as to what your DS said to Alice and the White Rabbit.
Props to your husband for not losing it with that annoying CM. Karma pays of in the end eh :)

I'm so curious as to what your DS said to Alice and the White Rabbit.
Props to your husband for not losing it with that annoying CM. Karma pays of in the end eh :)

It is a doosie and quite embarrasing! It happens the last day we are there.

My husband behaved very nicely. It was so unlike him as he normally would have been all upset.

The view was priceless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter