Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Three... C 32, P 39 - The End...Or Is It?

I got the boy French Toast. And getting him to eat it, even loaded with syrup, was no mean feat. He finished one slice, had some bacon, and was done. I know that little booger was holding out for something "better." Well, he wasn't getting it. French Toast is a nice junky breakfast as far as I'm concerned. But then the couple next to us sat down with a huge slice of cake. He saw it, and wanted cake. Or a doughnut, or other crap. Yes, I used the word crap. That's how mad this made me. I was starting to lose it and it was showing. I honestly don't remember what I was saying other than "this is ridiculous."

It's moments where nothing works that are the most frustrating! :hug:

And then, as we were waiting, he uttered words that made me jump into action.

"Mama, I need to poop.":scared1:

With that slightly panicked feeling, right?

So next we coaxed him over to Nemo, where he loved the seagulls. "Mine, mine, mine." Now, we have a little Spiderman action figure, actually he's more like a Lego type figure, but biggger. So, DS was "showing" Spiderman the seagulls. Hmm...this could work to our advantage. In all fairness, I believe it was my husband's idea to show Spiderman things. I knew I married him for a reason, this concept became a godsend.

So now, we were going to show Spiderman the Nemo ride, and the queue is very dark. At which point, DS starts saying, "Don't be scared Spiderman...don't be shy, Spiderman." Well if that's not an insight into a three year old's world, I don't know what is. So we told Spiderman there was no reason to be scared, and pointed out some neat things along the way.

Too stinking cute!

The ride went well, and I got my first glimpse of DS' amazed face. The face that he would use for almost every single ride, a face so filled with awe and wonder I wish I could capture it, bottle it, and keep it with me forever. Half the time on rides or at shows, I would watch him instead of the ride. Because that face is priceless, friends, and it doesn't last forever.

I am the exact same way -- I love watching the kids on rides or during movies!

We were "those" parents.:lmao:

No, "those" parents try to reason with their children -- you just left which was the right response.

Except it wasn't DS. It was me. And it wasn't out loud. It was internal. A totally internal snapping of something vital. Something inside me just broke. Thank goodness for dark sunglasses. I cried. Not big, not loud, not even audible. Just a quiet, silent cry, looking over the World Showcase lagoon.

Psssttt...I have cried at WDW before, too. :hug:

Oh I TOTALLY anticipate there will be Disney tears in January - how could there not be when our kids outnumber us?!

LOVE the Spidey talk... Stasia is painfully shy sometimes and I think if she had some kind of character she loved like that it would help IMMENSELY.

Dude, the candy... bane of my existance. I've mastered this slight of hand trick that works 99% of the time though. I let the kid (pick one, any one) hold the item as we walk through the store, looking at everything and becoming desensitized to having to have EVERYTHING... slowly but surely, when my OWN spidey senses feel the time is rightI nuzzle up to the kid, coerce said kid into giving me the candy/toy/what-have-you so I can buy it, keeping them calm and distracting them with "Oh, look at this!" and "Isn't that cool!" and we slowly slip out of the store and start talking about something completely different and utterly distracting. Seriously, only about 1% of the time does the kid in question ever catch on, and usually at that point I truly AM in meltdown mode myownself...

Oh I TOTALLY anticipate there will be Disney tears in January - how could there not be when our kids outnumber us?!

LOVE the Spidey talk... Stasia is painfully shy sometimes and I think if she had some kind of character she loved like that it would help IMMENSELY.

Dude, the candy... bane of my existance. I've mastered this slight of hand trick that works 99% of the time though. I let the kid (pick one, any one) hold the item as we walk through the store, looking at everything and becoming desensitized to having to have EVERYTHING... slowly but surely, when my OWN spidey senses feel the time is rightI nuzzle up to the kid, coerce said kid into giving me the candy/toy/what-have-you so I can buy it, keeping them calm and distracting them with "Oh, look at this!" and "Isn't that cool!" and we slowly slip out of the store and start talking about something completely different and utterly distracting. Seriously, only about 1% of the time does the kid in question ever catch on, and usually at that point I truly AM in meltdown mode myownself...

OMG woman, you are a genius....I will def. give this tactic a try:thumbsup2

With that slightly panicked feeling, right?

It was quite the annoucement! Since he hadn't yet, I was waiting for it. :lmao:

No, "those" parents try to reason with their children -- you just left which was the right response.

We basically tried to explain that he couldn't have it, and when the huge all out tantrum occured, DH scooped him up and we left.

Psssttt...I have cried at WDW before, too. :hug:

Is it a rite of passage? I mean, who hasn't?:lmao:

The odds are sadly, in their favor.

Does she have any little doll that she loves or something like that?

I've actually done this before as well. But for some reason, Disney DS was completely different (at least this day) than at home DS.:lmao:

OMG woman, you are a genius....I will def. give this tactic a try:thumbsup2

That Lara does have some good ideas! :goodvibes

I am sorry that your DS had a meltdown, but fortunatly, most kids do in Disney. That is what I always tell myself when my kids are sliding down my leg into the floor in a full on tantrum!

Anyway, it does get better. This year my 10 year old didnt have 1 breakdown. Neither did DH!:rotfl:

I am sorry that your DS had a meltdown, but fortunatly, most kids do in Disney. That is what I always tell myself when my kids are sliding down my leg into the floor in a full on tantrum!

Oh, I know! But I just never pictured us dealing with it, at least on such an all out level. How silly was that.:lmao:

Anyway, it does get better. This year my 10 year old didnt have 1 breakdown. Neither did DH!:rotfl:

So, you're telling me, there is hope!!! :goodvibes

Sorry about your DS's breakdown. I think there are moments at Disney that bring that out in all of us. Probably a combination of the heat, crowds and expectations. My trip 2 years ago, in which it poured for the majority of every day, I watched a poor little boy having a breakdown because he was sick of the rain. He was screaming he didn't want to put on his poncho any more.

I could so relate! All I was thinking about was that I was inches away from the same breakdown.

I finally found you!!

And I just read your whole TR to date!!

First of all, let me say right now that I had no idea what all you went through just to get in that 5-minute chit chat session with me.... I feel so bad, but even more grateful now! If DH hadn't already done one Pool Duty sans Mom that week, I would've asked to just stay in the MK all afternoon and wait for your call. But I didn't feel I could.

I will also say that on my next trip to Disney, I will have my own car....:headache: Stay tuned to my own TR. There's much more on the buses yet to come!

Your last installment has you in Epcot, which if I've followed correctly, would be the next day - Monday. We were also at Epcot that day, but even though my first reaction would have been "Oh we should have met up that day!", after reading about the BOOM!....well, looks like it might now have worked out anyway.

I think one of these days all of us New Englander Lapus ought to plan a get together! :thumbsup2 Sit down with some REAL coffee and have us a good ol' fashioned gab fest.

GREAT report so far!!!

Oh TK, so sorry about the boom! I can feel your pain---even the tears---I think most of us can definitely relate with the usual--"Been there, done that"--type of mentality!!! I DO so hope that things got exponentially MUCH better for the rest of the trip!!! Can't wait to read more!!!

Sorry about your DS's breakdown. I think there are moments at Disney that bring that out in all of us. Probably a combination of the heat, crowds and expectations. My trip 2 years ago, in which it poured for the majority of every day, I watched a poor little boy having a breakdown because he was sick of the rain. He was screaming he didn't want to put on his poncho any more.

I could so relate! All I was thinking about was that I was inches away from the same breakdown.

Oh, I so know what you mean. I think we've all seen people and just thought, man I feel your pain.

And now I completely empathize with parents of screaming toddlers. :lmao:

I finally found you!!

Welcome!

And I just read your whole TR to date!!

Bless you!

First of all, let me say right now that I had no idea what all you went through just to get in that 5-minute chit chat session with me.... I feel so bad, but even more grateful now! If DH hadn't already done one Pool Duty sans Mom that week, I would've asked to just stay in the MK all afternoon and wait for your call. But I didn't feel I could.

Oh, honey! Meeting you was a high point, thank you very much! You don't need to feel badly at all.:goodvibes

Your last installment has you in Epcot, which if I've followed correctly, would be the next day - Monday. We were also at Epcot that day, but even though my first reaction would have been "Oh we should have met up that day!", after reading about the BOOM!....well, looks like it might now have worked out anyway.

That's so funny, I didn't even realize you were in Epcot then. It's because you flip flopped plans, right? And you're right, that so would not have been the day to meet us. Although...there was a nap on the horizon...

And that's all I'll reveal before the next chapter. :rolleyes1

I think one of these days all of us New Englander Lapus ought to plan a get together! :thumbsup2 Sit down with some REAL coffee and have us a good ol' fashioned gab fest.

I totally agree, that would be awesome! And preferably soon, while the leaves are changing. We could have some really nice drives then. :goodvibes

GREAT report so far!!!

Aww, shucks. :blush:

I DO so hope that things got exponentially MUCH better for the rest of the trip!!! Can't wait to read more!!!

See above hint regarding a possible nap...;)

After realizing that we couldn't escape ourselves, we were resolved. To live with them. Ourselves, I mean. But hopefully in better spirits. Still upset, I set forth. DS was calm. DH was calm. I was nervous. But I wanted to do something. I had my cry, and was ready to journey forth. It was only the second day, after all. We had the whole vacation still ahead of us.:thumbsup2

With that type of attitude, we headed towards the World Showcase, starting in Canada. Which we ran through. Quickly. Because of ZZUB. Or did we?;)

We stopped in France, Japan, Germany, China, & Mexico. Wouldn't it be funny if I ended it right there? There you go, folks, that's what we did. :lmao:

Can you guess what we did in each of those countries?;)

While you ponder that, I'll describe France for you. As we headed over, there was a performance going on, a balancing act if you will, which I'm sure has some official name that I'm not aware of. It involved a lot of chairs and someone standing on top of them all. We sort of caught the tail end. And stopped. And watched. In the heat, but with the good sense to stand in the shade. :cool2: Because this was interesting to DS, and if it was interesting, we were doing it. Savvy? pirate: At least we could be somewhat accomodating now that rational thought had appeared to return to him.:banana:

As we were getting ready to leave France, we happened upon the character line for Belle. Surprisingly, I ended up in the line. Who'd thunk it?;) Anyway, we did offer for DS to meet her, but he was still feeling character shy and we did not press the issue. Belle was quite gracious, and I was loving my photopass. It came in so handy on this trip, allowed me to go through lines by myself, DH could be with DS, and nobody had to worry about cameras. Heaven.

In Japan, we browsed, because we really love that store. Even though everything is SO expensive. It's just fun to look. And DS had so much fun browsing, and was being very good about putting things back.:banana: He and DH had a ball playing with a variety of little plastic wind up toys. They were so cute, I debated getting him one, and then let it pass, thinking we'd be back later. I had the pleasure of watching someone pick a pearl. No matter how many times I've seen it, it just doesn't get old for me. We were a little wiser, as well. We completely avoided the back room. You know the one I'm talking about? The one full of candy? Yup. Because even though it was Japanese candy, if it looked like candy, it wasn't coming within a 10 foot radius of the child. End. Of. Story.

Now, DS was developing another curious habit. He figured out all those little carts MUST have something good. And so he would ask if he could have something. The first time it was cute. The second time, I was suspicious. By the third time, I was onto him, and we figured out our way around it, or how to work with it. I told you we were getting wiser. Since, however, his first request was for Kaki Gori...which shockingly enough, I have never had, we gave in. For a couple of reasons. I'm fairly aware that there's no nutritional value and probably loads of sugar in this lovely shaved ice concoction.

But it was HOT. I really don't think there's a smilie to convey how hot it was. Well, maybe this guy. :furious: Except not so angry. Anyway, we were feeling a little peaked. Dehydrated, if you will. And I figured, well, if it is just glorified frozen flavored sugar water, at least it'll get some liquid in the little nut. He picked orange, which was a tangerine flavor of sorts. I was worried it would be too exotic for him, but he just loved it. Nice, cool, and refreshing. We stopped in some shade over by the cart to eat it, and we have some great pictures of him eating it. He did share a bit with me, and there's this great photo of us with our heads both bent down to it at the same time. All you can see is a brunette head and red head, and this little ice cone in between. And even though there's no smiling faces, I think it's one of my favorite pictures. Because it's just funny. And that's my DH. Grabbing those shots that no one else would necessarily think of. Of course, I was not surpised to note I was sporting some fairly decent cleavage in that photo as well. Which really leads me to wonder about DH's intentions. :lmao:

Now, I'd gotten some water for DH and I, so we were feeling a bit better. Or so I thought.

As soon as we started walking again, bam! NoEmeril.

I just did not feel right. Nauseous, even. We had to stop in Italy. The boys ran around the piazza and played a bit while I sat on a bench in the shade, reapplied sunblock, and slowly got some water in me. It was so funny, I could feel people staring at me while I was putting the sunblock on. What you've never seen a partially Irish girl reapply the only thing that will keep her from burning to the color of a ripe tomato??? I know I'm Italian too, I just didn't get the olive skin gene, okay!!! ;)

After sipping the water, I did feel a bit better. I think my initial unease was just drinking the water a bit too fast, and it hit me. Sort of like when you work out and chug your water after, it just doesn't sit right.

I watched DH and DS playing, and just enjoyed that for a bit. And people watched. Because that's what I like to do. And I'll admit it. After I got my sunblock on, I reapplied my pressed powder and lip gloss. I swear, I'm not that girlie. Okay, maybe. Sort of. But I was sweating! And sunblock makes you have this weird sheen to your face, and if you don't put pressed powder on to cut down the shine...well, let's just say you probably could have seen your reflection.

And the lip gloss just made me feel pretty. So there.princess:

When we started walking again, we found ourselves in Germany, where DS spotted another cart. Fortunately, it was the cart where they sell those big ole yummy pretzels. Bread! At least slight healthy! If not covered with yummy salt. Which he picked off and ate. Now I knew that we had a reservation tonight at the Coral Reef, and that DS had pretty much half eaten his breakfast/lunch at 1100. Although it wasn't necessarily what I would have picked for him an afternoon snack, it really wasn't that bad. So he ate a fair portion of it. I was proud of the boy, at least he was eating something!

In China, we browsed again, and DS had so much fun playing with those puppets. You know the different animals on strings? They are so much fun. Again, I made a mental note. Obviously, we'd be back again, so no big deal. We stopped and got him a mask at the KidCot station there, and they wrote his name, and also gave him two stamps for his birth year. Like they do every year. Because of his birth date, he is sort of in between two years for them, and therefore is represented by two animals. However, I know none of you will be shocked when I tell you what they say the true animal is, the one most closely related to him.

Try to hold the laughter, okay?

Or just let it out, why not.

The Monkey.

:rotfl2:

Well, he certainly is my little monkey, that's for sure. But my little monkey was starting to look, well...a little tired. Is it wrong that I was relieved?

As we headed toward Mexico, I knew one thing. I was singularly purposed my friends. There was a cart that was just for TK, and TK alone.

Oh yes, my friends. I NEEDED a margarita. Not wanted...needed. And DH was happy to oblige. I wonder why?

Perhaps he felt the need to loosen me up, who can say? As he balked at the price a bit, I said something to the effect of it being liquid happiness, and that he'd probably never noticed the price before because his dad always buys mine for me. It wasn't a dig, just a statement of fact, and a little tribute to the member of our party that was missing. That I wouldn't be able to toast with. Ah, FIL. I did miss him then. He's one of the most laidback people I've ever vacationed with. DH runs a close second. Hmm...you'd think they were related or something?:rolleyes1

For some reason, DH was opposed to salt, but that's how I like 'em, so that's what we got. Standard lime margarita with salt. I shared. A little. Okay, I shared pretty well. For me.

It was DIVINE! How many different ways can I say yum? Seriously. I so needed that drink right then. DS was starting to nod off, I had a margarita, and I was a happy TK.

I will add right here, that DS tried to ask for some of the margarita. We had to explain it was an adult drink. He got it. I was surprised! No whining, or fussing. He still had half his pretzel left, so we redirected his attention to that.:banana:

We wandered back toward the front of the park, and just as DS was getting ready to fall asleep in his stroller, the fountain show was starting, the music kicked on, and he sat bolt upright! :eek: Uh oh. I was worried. Da da da dum! Enter DH, Super Dad!!!! Perhaps I should call him Batman, that's his favorite. At any rate, Super Dad gets DS to sit back down, and just strolls him around the fountain until he falls asleep.

Meanwhile, I have the margarita. With salt. And it's lime. And so good.:love:

I'm sitting over by Club Cool, having hoisted myself up onto one of the rock partitions, just taking it all in. With my margarita in hand, and a toddler about to fall asleep. Life was feeling pretty good. :cloud9: I struck up a conversation with the family next to me. Their two little girls (tweens, I would guess) were just dying to take their grandfather (who they'd just met up with) in to try some Beverly. Poor guy.

I sat, enjoying my divine libation, and eventually (not too long), DH came back with a sleeping DS.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Handel's Messiah playing in my head, I asked DH if it was wrong to look forward to nap time. No joke, those were my exact words. At which he responded a resolute, "No." And we laughed. For a couple of hours (we hoped) we were off the hook. So we headed into Club Cool, finishing off the margarita and ready to try some sodas of the world. There were no Beverly jokes to be had, folks. We're both fully in the know. With DH's family being from Italy, he's actually known about it since before it was on tap in Epcot. So DH tried it first, and then I thought, well...let me just have a taste to see what all the grousing/crazy photos/complaining is about.

And you know what, folks?

Brace yourselves, okay?

It's not that bad. Honestly, I didn't see the problem with it. It's meant to be a cleanser, something you drink in between courses to get your palette ready for the next thing. Taken in that light, I think it's actually...sort of...good.

Proving we are a little bit weird.

Pirates.pirate: pirate:

Up next - So what do you do in Epcot when your toddler is sleeping?

I'm so glad you got a margarita (with salt... as if there is any other way????) following the stress of the afternoon. And that it coincided with nap?!? :cloud9:

Dude, you like Beverly?? I've actually never tried it (never even been in Club Cool) but will do so in Oct and think of you!

I'm so glad you got a margarita (with salt... as if there is any other way????) following the stress of the afternoon. And that it coincided with nap?!? :cloud9:

It was like a little bit of heaven on earth. It was.

Dude, you like Beverly?? I've actually never tried it (never even been in Club Cool) but will do so in Oct and think of you!

I mean, I wouldn't drink it by the gallonful, but I really didn't feel that it tasted as bad as all the photos I've seen would lead me to believe.

Awww and snicker, snicker, snicker about the sweet photo with the cleavage!

Don't you just love World Showcase? Glad to hear that your spell passed though -- the one where you had to sit down in Italy.

I would love one of those margaritas right now.

Can't wait to hear what you did in Epcot with your little monkey asleep.

Alright, guys, I've been a little lax in the photo department. Mostly because I don't post pics of my family...well, with heads anyway, and so I didn't realize there were some shots you may be interested in from my first two days. Without further ado, here they are.

DisneySept08-0172.jpg

Did I ever mention that I did rub Humphrey's nose for luck? Well, I did. And took a picture too! :goodvibes

DisneySept08-0182.jpg

Seriously, I didn't even know about the LL light fixture obsession before I took this. I just love how pretty the lanterns are at night.:thumbsup2

DisneySept08-0222.jpg

I loved our turndown service. This was the first night, and I so needed a picture!! :thumbsup2

DisneySept08-0252.jpg

Epcot, prior to the tick, tick, tick, boom. I was hoping to catch the monorail, but didn't want to spend too much time just waiting. Thankfully, someone else has gotten that shot! ;)

So there you have it. Some pictures from my trip. :goodvibes Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter