Yikes! Huge price jump in 2018!!

scrappinginontario

Out of curiosity I just looked at opening day prices for the cruise we are taking in 2017 which we booked opening day.

We're on the Fantasy, 7 Night Easter Caribbean, category 5C - Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah

2017 opening day price for 1 Adult, 1 Child was: $3,191.50
2018 opening day price for 1 Adult, 1 Child is: $4,031.94

That's an $840.41 jump for the exact same trip...over 26% more! YIKES!!

So thankful I booked when I did...and sadly not sure I'll be rebooking on board this cruise. I know I'll want to but I hate to think of what 2019 prices will be like when realistically that would be the next time we could sail.

Wanted a 7 day eastern or western for 2018. Was hoping for similar opening day prices but for our family (2a, 1c), it would be 4050 for 5e. My cut off was 3800 :(. Could do a large porthole for 3750 but that's still a lot. This is with OBB credit.

We decided to do a 4 night dream in the 5E for 2350. Easier on the pocket book. Hubby is a little disappointed but agreed it's a lot of extra money..

Check out this price jump for the Fantasy 3/18/2017 vs. 3/17/2018. They are both Western itineraries for the same week in March. Pricing is for 2 adults and 2 children (13yo & 11yo). We paid less than $6K for the 2017 cruise in a category 5B with opening day prices. The 2017 cruise has jumped in price due to SWDAS, but the 2018 rates are even higher than the 2017 current rates!!!!

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 7.33.34 AM.png

Here is a comparison for an MSC European itinerary vs Fantasy, Spring Break also 2018. Standard balcony cabin 1599 for 2.

upload_2016-10-27_12-9-48.png

upload_2016-10-27_12-7-23.png

Check out this price jump for the Fantasy 3/18/2017 vs. 3/17/2018. They are both Western itineraries for the same week in March. Pricing is for 2 adults and 2 children (13yo & 11yo). We paid less than $6K for the 2017 cruise in a category 5B with opening day prices. The 2017 cruise has jumped in price due to SWDAS, but the 2018 rates are even higher than the 2017 current rates!!!!

View attachment 203433
That is just insane. I vacation during school holidays, I would never pay those prices for one week.

Out of curiosity I just looked at opening day prices for the cruise we are taking in 2017 which we booked opening day.

We're on the Fantasy, 7 Night Easter Caribbean, category 5C - Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah

2017 opening day price for 1 Adult, 1 Child was: $3,191.50
2018 opening day price for 1 Adult, 1 Child is: $4,031.94

That's an $840.41 jump for the exact same trip...over 26% more! YIKES!!

So thankful I booked when I did...and sadly not sure I'll be rebooking on board this cruise. I know I'll want to but I hate to think of what 2019 prices will be like when realistically that would be the next time we could sail.
The holidays also change each year.

Yep- you gotta factor in the holidays. A good example is the Disney Fantasy 7-night Western sailing:

2ad/2ch, Inside Stateroom:

April 15, 2017: Prices start at $7,573
April 14, 2018: Prices start at $5,805 ($1700 cheaper!)

HOWEVER Easter 2017 is April 16th; in 2018 its April 1st, so you always have to consider when the holidays fall.

The holidays also change each year.

I agree that they do but I checked and President's Day does not fall that week either year.

Looking just 1 week later for the 7 Day Fantasy sample I quoted in my original post, the same stateroom is starting at $5,081 so $1000 more to travel a week later!!!!! YIKES AGAIN!!!

The March Fantasy sailings are during Spring Break and Easter is April 1, 2018. Higher demand weeks.

The pic I posted of the two cruises is ridiculous. We are booked for the 2017 cruise and paid approximately $5900 and change. The same week next year is a full two weeks before Easter so that doesn't even come into play. No way would I pay an additional $2400 for the same week & same itinerary just because it is DCL.

We are sailing the new MSC Seaside 7 night Caribbean itinerary during our March 2018 Spring break in a Yacht Club Deluxe suite (concierge) for about 12k less than DCL wants for concierge on their Spring Break sailing. IMO, there is nothing DCL offers on a standard Caribbean sailing that makes their concierge experience worth 12K more.

View attachment 203433
we booked the same March 18 2017 7 night Fantasy pretty close to opening day last year for around $6,200 for 2A 2 K 9C, and that same class for the 2018 is $8,200 at opening - That is pretty significant. Of course both are Spring Break for Orlando schools but not Easter.

Cruises during peak times are going up year after year and will continue to do so until they hit the point of diminishing returns. The law of supply and demand at work. Disney is not in business to entertain people; they are in business to make money for their shareholders.

On the other hand prices on off season / off peak cruises have remained remarkably stable. Our 7-night cruises on the Fantasy in October 2013 and October 2015 were nearly identical in price. The 2018 Southern on the Wonder is nearly identical in price to our 2017 Southern on the Magic and what those same cruises were selling for in 2013.

Again, I know I can sail on other cruise lines for less money. Heck, I can sail on Disney for less money in an inside cabin. To me, the premium I pay for a verandah stateroom on a Disney ship is worth it.

Martin

Nobody is arguing that DCL should be giving their cruises away at rock bottom prices. The problem is that they are raising their prices faster than the competition. They did this to the WDW parks & resorts and now they are crashing and burning. Resort bookings are down and park attendance is down. The extras they are throwing at AP holders right now is awesome, but that's because they are hurting for attendance and want us spending money at their restaurants and stores. I adore DCL, but I did not book anything for this release. I'll go back to RCCL which I enjoy just as much.

Nobody is arguing that DCL should be giving their cruises away at rock bottom prices. The problem is that they are raising their prices faster than the competition. They did this to the WDW parks & resorts and now they are crashing and burning. Resort bookings are down and park attendance is down. The extras they are throwing at AP holders right now is awesome, but that's because they are hurting for attendance and want us spending money at their restaurants and stores. I adore DCL, but I did not book anything for this release. I'll go back to RCCL which I enjoy just as much.

I'm not sure I'd say their parks are crashing and burning... at least not yet. Profits were still up over the summer despite their attendance numbers and I had heard resorts were still well filled? Some are speculating it could be a variety of things, zika, olympics in Brazil, a strong US dollar, tiered ticket prices, etc for the quarter. When/if DCL takes a hit they'll have to adjust their pricing.

We are booked on a 7 night out of Galveston, two years in a row, the same week. Price difference for the same stateroom, same party size is an increase of $23 per person for 2017 over 2016. Does not appear to be a huge increase to me.

I'm not sure I'd say their parks are crashing and burning... at least not yet. Profits were still up over the summer despite their attendance numbers and I had heard resorts were still well filled? Some are speculating it could be a variety of things, zika, olympics in Brazil, a strong US dollar, tiered ticket prices, etc for the quarter. When/if DCL takes a hit they'll have to adjust their pricing.

Plus regarding park attendance, they are essentially down to three parks right now with so much of Studios under construction. I personally don't bother with that park - it's not worth the ticket or time (if I have a hopper) for the 2 rides I would do there even if everything else was done, so it doesn't bother me to not go as I wouldn't anyway. But I have heard more than one person say they are waiting to go back until they have finished the overhaul of Studios.

We are booked on a 7 night out of Galveston, two years in a row, the same week. Price difference for the same stateroom, same party size is an increase of $23 per person for 2017 over 2016. Does not appear to be a huge increase to me.
Galveston doesn't count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter