YC questions..nervous

I have to say I am a bit of a theme nut (so WDW in general is pretty much my favorite). Before my last trip in May I had no desire to stay at either BC or YC. In fact, of the two I'd have picked BC first. Then I booked Captain's Grille for my grandpa who loves anything nautical/lighthouses and after that ADR and seeing the YC...LOVE IT. The photos do not do the lobby justice. And, the theming I think is more dramatic so it still has some disney magic.

As for location, BC and YC are right next to each other, connected with SAB. The difference in walking time is incredibly minimal. And, the boardwalk is maybe a 2 minute walk from there, maybe even less! You can see it right across the water. It is a separate hotel, but it is also a themed area with restos, bars, shops, and the bakery. They have performers and little food stands as well.

You can walk through EP to the monorail, you would have to walk through UK and Canada and then you could take the side path over to the big fountain and past spaceship earth to the front. It will take longer though than a bus. I might suggest going to MK for a day via bus in the AM and then taking the monorail back to EP and walking through in the afternoon for a break, grab some food in WS on your way for lunch - since you have hoppers.

The pool is gorgeous. I don't know if I will get to use it in late November?? But the view of it is so pretty.
We stayed at BC over Christmas years ago and several of the days were warm enough to hit the pool...even when the mornings started off a little chilly, in the afternoon things warmed up *a lot* in the parks and the pool was welcome in the afternoon. Better yet, SAB wasn't crowded at all (compared to pics I've seen taken during summer). We hit the quiet pool halfway during the stay to swim and wash clothes (as the coin op washer/dryers are located there) and had the pool to ourselves...with perfect mid-70s weather, sun, and clear skies.

Thanks rosiebean! That is good to hear...My kids are fishes! That sounds like great weather. Lol oh my anxiety will go nutso with the dirty carpets!!

Regarding cleanliness, both are very clean, but what is true is that beach club villas - as opposed to main hotel wing- tend to a little longer between refurbs (like most timeshares), so the appearance is just a tiny bit "worn", but not actually dirty. Similarly, regarding the villas, if you are staying as a timeshare guest (or borrowing their timeshare points), the rooms only get housekeeping every 4 days unless you pay extra. Timeshare owners understand what this means, but many people who borrow or "rent" the timeshare points don't really internalize this, they just wanted a deluxe disney resort for something between value and moderate prices (which u can get from renting points). So then they start to see tissues pile up in trash can and empty food cartons on desk and some small puddles in shower and some toothpaste in sink, etc (all created by them), and then when housekeeping leaves it there for several days b/c that is the "deal", they start to think -even subconsciously - this is not what a hotel room should look like. Also, because both beach clu and yacht do in fact do their theming well, people expect to see some wear, like most "real" beach or nautical locales, so they start to see wear that is not even there, and any actual wear merely compounds their preconceptions. This is also compounded b/c disney hotels have a HUGE price premium versus their offsite counterparts - you are paying ritz carlton prices but not getting ritz amenities, etc. Yes, like any high traffic hotel, particularly with kids, their is some minimal wear, but should not be a cause for concern. (Fyi- from the bc/yc dedicated board, the refurb is starting in bc, and expected to not even hit the yc until very late 2014, if not 2015 - and they start from top to bottom). Have a blast!

Hey guys!!! I know it's stupid to be nervous about a resort. I think because its such an investment, I just want to make sure I am choosing the best place for us.

I had posted about choosing between the poly and yc. I have stayed at the poly and we loved it. But the YC has the dates I want available and the poly does not. Originally was going 11/19-25. But because of school , I am leaning more toward 11/22-11/28. I know the week will be crowded...hopefully it isn't as horrible as people keep telling me. But with my daughter having ap classes, I really need her to not miss that much school the week before thanksgiving.

Anyway, I'm trying to sell myself on the YC. I know nothing about it. I am a tad anxious when it comes to cleanliness. I can't help it..:confused3. I have heard some poor opinions of beach club. Are the bc and YC separate entities?

I know the pool area is supposed to be fantastic...but with the timing ..I'm not sure we will use it due to cooler temps. So the pool isn't too much of a selling point for me.

I hear people talking about the marketplace? What is that?

What do you all think about this hotel? Thanks so much !!!

I just stayed at YC this past April. It was the one Disney Resort I was so excited to try. We usually stay at values so to be at a Deluxe resort with such a great location was super cool.

The hotel was very clean and the staff was great, however, it is VERY run down in my opinion. I think for the price you pay, the common areas and room should have been in better repair. I would prefer to stay there after they get a refurb.

The pool was very cool, however, I didn't love it as much as I though I would. It is very "chopped" up. It was just me and DH on this trip, but if we had our kids and they each wanted to go in different areas it would have been difficult.

I loved being able to walk to DHS and EP. However, DH and I both agreed that we would want to try Boardwalk next time.

yc is a perfect choice, its a beautiful resort. We have taken our 2 teenage grandchildren and they loved it! If you do stay there I suggest taking a stroll over to beaches and cream and ordering the kitchen sink. It is awesome and then some, providing you like ice cream!:thumbsup2

Jenrose, what did you think was run down about it? I think that is exactly what I was worried about...paying so much money for a a rundown hotel. I don't expect robes, slippers, mar ow showers, etc. But I do expect clean and in good shape.

Jenrose, what did you think was run down about it? I think that is exactly what I was worried about...paying so much money for a a rundown hotel. I don't expect robes, slippers, mar ow showers, etc. But I do expect clean and in good shape.

You really need to join in the conversations over at the 2013 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Fun & Friends thread.
You'll see how much love there is for the Yacht Club over there. :goodvibes

The Yacht Club is a gorgeous resort. When we stayed there the place was spotless. It is beautiful and luxurious and in my opinion, much classier than the Poly. You talk about run-down - well the Poly is that for sure, in my opinion, although I've heard it is undergoing a well needed refurb. :)

Run down is like one of those cheap hotels you get for $39 a night. The Yacht Club is not run down. The hallway carpets get worn looking because they clean them all the time. Yes, every once in a while someone gets a bad room, one that didn't get cleaned properly. But I doubt that it happens very often. I've been following the BC/YC thread for almost a year now, and most people love both resorts. I know I do. We have stayed at the BC, BCV, YC and Boardwalk for twenty years, and have always had very clean rooms. One time out of all those years we had a problem with a toilet. But it was fixed right away.

If the YC works out well for your family, then that is great. You'll love being able to walk to Epcot and HS during that busy period. And the Captain's Grille will have a nice Thanksgiving dinner if you want to eat at your resort. :)

You'll have a lovely time no matter which resort you stay at. :)

Totally agree with the Poly being the rundown resort! The ceremonial hall hasn't
been changed since the 1970's! The YC and BC are both beautiful resorts IMO and you will have a great time!

Wood Nymph...will be heading over to that thread soon! Thanks for the link. I was really trying to get overall thoughts on the YC both positive and negative .

Also, I didn't say anything about it being rundown..I was asking why the particular poster thought it was rundown. I guess for me, I like to hear both negative and positive reviews because it helps with my decision. One person may say they hated the pool and that is why they didn't like YC or that the pool is what made them go to YC. For my purposes, that wouldn't phase me because the pool isn't as important to me. I am more concerned with the condition of the rooms. If it's clean..I am good to go. I guess i feel if I am spending this amount of money...I should see it in the rooms. But again that is just me. I am a tad anxious when it comes to dirty. I can't help myself.

For me the Poly was extremely fun atmosphere and after reading about the YC I was concerned that it might be "stuffy"(which is what was said in the reviews). After seeing the pictures it looked gorgeous and more my speed than the Poly. Plus if I didn't notice the Poly looking rundown..then I guess I will be fine..! :rotfl2:

Honestly, if the resort that I paid for was very dirty...it would put a real damper on my vacation. For some, it would be fine because they think of it as a place to lay their head and it's Disney!! But for me, the resort is part of the vacation that I enjoy and is an important aspect of it. That is why I was nervous because the YC is very new to me.

I liked the Yacht Club, don't get me wrong...but I found the entire hotel to be just in need of refreshing. The carpet is old and worn in the hallways. Also the walls and even the elevators look dated and scuffed.

In our room the door that hides the fridge was off one of it's hinges and the fridge itself was uneven because it was missing a caster.

Everything was clean but it still looked drab. There were also lots of nicks and whatnot in the furniture.

It wasn't going to ruin my trip, but I stand by what I said before. With the price of those rooms per night, they should be in better repair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter