WWYD - drive or fly

Mshheaddoc

Dreaming of Disney - 2013 with Pluto
We were planning on driving to Florida, a 18+hrs trip, not including stops. We have family about half way so we don't need to pay for hotel. But here are my issues:
1) 3 children under 6, one is ASD and likes the car but gets bored and its 2 days straight of 11+ he driving
2) just found out I will be pregnant with our 4th at about 32-33 weeks. Driving in a car for that long isn't safe (unless stopping every 2 hours or so which adds length to the trip) nor is it comfortable.

I hate to cough up the $2500 for the airfare (5 tickets, ouch) and car rental (we will have 2 strollers and then need to bring car seats). Seems like such a hassle that we could just deal but curious what you would do. The family we are staying with will be the ones we would stay with on the way down there. And to note: My son does ok on planes but it's been 3 years since he's been on one. It won't be pretty either way we chose, were ok with that.

TIA for advice/tips.

Anyway you could start the trip when they would be ready to sleep? Will they sleep in the car? If the answer to that is no, I think I would bit the bullet and fly.

I would probably not drive--I don't know what ASD is (I'm sure it's obvious once you tell me!). I wouldn't call driving that long unsafe while pregnant, but it would sure be uncomfortable and makes my bladder hurt to think about it.

I have driven to Florida many times for a 9-10 hour drive. When my son was 9 months, I drove from Orlando to Columbia, SC. Around the Georgia/Florida line, it began to snow. It was expected to accumulate which is a big deal down south where you can get locked in the house for several days until it melts, so we did not want to stop. Also about that time, my son began to cry continuously. Because of the weather, we really didn't want to stop. The only thing that would make him stop crying was singing "Old McDonald Had a Farm." Did that for 4 1/2 hours. Just keep that in mind with little ones when unexpected stuff comes up. At least on the plane, there is an end in sight. Also, if you change planes, it's a "break" for your kid.

Tough call.... But it seems like the best option for your situation, is to drive.... You need a car anyway, are vacationing with your extended family, have the whole carseat thing to deal with (trying to put the rental carseat in will be frustrating), airfare $. I say schedule extra time for the drive & break it up if you can. If you fly, you still have a ton of hurdles.

I would fly. Trying to keep children that young entertained and happy in the car for that long will be quite a job.

Where exactly are your coming from? Is there another airport maybe a short drive away that would save you money? If you fly, can you check different departure dates? Do you definitely need a rental car?

We were planning on driving to Florida, a 18+hrs trip, not including stops. We have family about half way so we don't need to pay for hotel. But here are my issues:
1) 3 children under 6, one is ASD and likes the car but gets bored and its 2 days straight of 11+ he driving
2) just found out I will be pregnant with our 4th at about 32-33 weeks. Driving in a car for that long isn't safe (unless stopping every 2 hours or so which adds length to the trip) nor is it comfortable.

I hate to cough up the $2500 for the airfare (5 tickets, ouch) and car rental (we will have 2 strollers and then need to bring car seats). Seems like such a hassle that we could just deal but curious what you would do. The family we are staying with will be the ones we would stay with on the way down there. And to note: My son does ok on planes but it's been 3 years since he's been on one. It won't be pretty either way we chose, were ok with that.

TIA for advice/tips.

I wouldn't drive, not because of the kid, but because at 32-33 weeks pregnant I didn't feel comfortable sitting in the car any more than absolutely necessary and I was in need of a bathroom about every 45 minutes.

If I were in your position, I would try to change the timing of my trip to at least 4-6 weeks sooner if possible.

If that weren't possible, I'd plan to stop a lot and I'd leave at night so that the first 6 hours or more of the trip would take place while the kids were sleeping.

What are the restrictions for flying? I know when I was pregnant... long time ago the airlines would not allow you to fly after so many weeks pregnant.

I remember weeks 30 to 40 quite well as I’m sure you do as you have had 2 pregnancies since my last one and I would not want to do that drive. There were times especially during my first pregnancy where the baby moved a certain way and BOOM I needed a restroom immediately. I’m guessing you are staying off site since you say you definitely need a car. 2nd trimester is probably the only time I would want to do that as I felt pretty crappy a lot of the time during the 1st one; and while I felt pretty good 3rd trimester, I just don’t think I’d do that drive past week 30 of a pregnancy. I had to drink a lot of fluids during that time. I think I’d even explore the option of driving to another airport if it is cheaper like someone else said or even driving to where you plan to stay with family half way and flying from there if it is cheaper. If flying truly isn’t an option perhaps adding time to the trip in order to give yourself more time to get there and back; so it isn’t 11 plus hours in the vehicle each day.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant right now, and honestly, I wouldn't want to go at all at that time. Flying would be better, though.

I would not be able to sit that long. It would make me achy, and I'd get varicose veins. I don't even know if I'd feel well enough to do all the walking WDW requires if I had sat in a car that long. And this is coming from someone who doesn't generally mind long car trips. We used to live 20 hours away, and now we live 16 hours away, and we always drive.

What are the restrictions for flying? I know when I was pregnant... long time ago the airlines would not allow you to fly after so many weeks pregnant.

That must have been a very, very long time ago.

There aren't any restrictions for 32-33 months by the airlines.

OP, no question, I would fly. Actually, I would reschedule the trip for after the new baby's arrival.

Stopping every 2 hours would be no biggy for us. We rarely go 90 minutes without someone in the car needing to pee LOL.

I think I'd reschedule for after the baby comes, and then drive down.

That is a tough one. I think how your pregnancy is going might be a huge factor. I'm almost always the fly and get there quicker one, but there are a few factors here that make me say consider driving:

You special needs child:
By stopping at the relatives home for a night, it gives him a chance to acclimate himself to them in a lower key setting before vacationing with them.
If he has difficulties travelings.....at least in your car, you can deal with it in the best way without having to deal with on lookers.

You can simply load strollers and car seats in you car and not have to deal with them again. Car seats in two airports and a rental car will be a pain, especially quite pregnant!

Stopping every two hours might not be so bad. Vary it up, a rest stop for a few minutes of walking and running for the kids, with a fast food place where the kids can run wild on the play ground while one of you grabs food ect.

Good luck.....maybe wait til the last minute to see how the pregnancy is going.

Thank you all for the feedback, you gave me much to think about. I think we are just going to suck it up and fly because I can't justify risking my health in a car for two days. I'd rather be there in half a day than 2 days of driving. :) I wouldn't mind waiting to by the tickets until August but I'm afraid I wouldn't find flights that we would want in a realistic price range. I might have to do a search on best time to buy ....

OP, I'm glad you're choosing flying. We have a 14 hr drive and that's probably my outer limit for drive vs. fly. I think you're right--your pregnancy is probably the deciding factor. We have a 9 yr old with ASD, and the car trip can still be hit or miss with her, so that's another reason I vote fly. Have a great trip!

I would fly, but I also wouldn't go to Disney 32 weeks pregnant. I practically lived in the bathroom at that point when I was pg with my fourth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter