WWYD? Child Left in Car

Parent B is wrong and should MYOB !

Sam81 said:
I totally agree! We have called the authorities numerous times because parents had their children in unsafe motor vehicles. If your automobile does not meet the highest crash test ratings and we see you out - phone call.

Ok, that is not right. If the child is left in an unattended car, that's one thing, but just because you don't think the car is safe, it's really not your business. Especially since you have no idea what crash ratings are for every car.

For example, We have a small Ford Fiesta, that most would think isn't safe; however, it has amongst the highest crash test ratings in America.

Parent A: Drops older child off at preschool and picks up daily. Leaves infant in car. Car is running. Doors are locked. School is located inside a church in a rural area.

Parent B: Notices infant in car and videotapes infant as well as the car's tag number. Reports to the preschool director and threatens to call police if Parent A continues to leave child in car. He/She brings his or her younger child in every pickup/drop-off.

State Law: A child may be left unattended in a car, running or not, for up to 10 minutes.

I'm curious to know why the OP felt the need to use her "sock puppet" to ask this question, and why she has not been back since to comment further.

Why take a chance? I feel better notifying the authorities that a child could potentially be in an unsafe situation. Literally two weeks ago my wife notified that authorities of 2 children in a 2011 Sienna. That mini-van only received three stars on the frontal impact test. Those children could potentially be at risk in a front collision! Again why take the chance!

:stir:

Ok, that is not right. If the child is left in an unattended car, that's one thing, but just because you don't think the car is safe, it's really not your business. Especially since you have no idea what crash ratings are for every car.

For example, We have a small Ford Fiesta, that most would think isn't safe; however, it has amongst the highest crash test ratings in America.

I see a lot of people have their sarcasm meters turned off today.

Yea I would be calling the police if I saw a child in a Fiesta. If you loved your children they would be in at least a Taurus. Sorry, but why take a chance with your Snowshine. Besides my gifted child is allergic to the carpets used in Fords.

I think parent B is a trouble maker. Parent A made a decision that she was comfortable with. It was not illegal. Whether parent B agreed with it or not, it's none of her business. Then she vidoe taped it. What a nut. If parent B was REALLY concerned she would have hung around, watched the car, and maybe chatted with parent A on her way out. Instead, she videos it, than reports the parent. Trouble maker, clear as day.

Why take a chance? I feel better notifying the authorities that a child could potentially be in an unsafe situation. Literally two weeks ago my wife notified that authorities of 2 children in a 2011 Sienna. That mini-van only received three stars on the frontal impact test. Those children could potentially be at risk in a front collision! Again why take the chance!

Why waste your time on the "what ifs?" :confused3

If it were me, I would go and confront Person B for being a busy-body and sticking her oars into other people's business.

Sam81 said:
Yea I would be calling the police if I saw a child in a Fiesta. If you loved your children they would be in at least a Taurus. Sorry, but why take a chance with your Snowshine. Besides my gifted child is allergic to the carpets used in Fords.

You see, there's my point. The Fiesta is rated as a safer car than the Taurus, by a large amount.

Now would I keep my Fiesta when I have kids? Perhaps not, but that's from a practical matter of room for everything.

But the point is that it is none of your business what kind of car I drive with kids.

Now, if a kid, especially and infant is left unattended in ANY car for ANY amount of time, they should be reported.

I totally agree! We have called the authorities numerous times because parents had their children in unsafe motor vehicles. If your automobile does not meet the highest crash test ratings and we see you out - phone call.

You call the police whenever you see a baby in a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Versa? you must have them on speed dial.

You see, there's my point. The Fiesta is rated as a safer car than the Taurus, by a large amount.

Now would I keep my Fiesta when I have kids? Perhaps not, but that's from a practical matter of room for everything.

But the point is that it is none of your business what kind of car I drive with kids.

Now, if a kid, especially and infant is left unattended in ANY car for ANY amount of time, they should be reported.
Based on his last post, he's just stirring the pot. :stir: :stir:

I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do it, if she's taking precautions and running in and out.

cmwade77 said:

For the love of God, he's KIDDING!!!

Based on his last post, he's just stirring the pot. :stir: :stir:

Not true. I am observing a potentially unsafe situation and reporting it. This is no different from anyone else. The general "You" may not like it but that is all I am doing.

In fact I think it is actually safer to leave a child in a parked car than to put them on the highway in an unsafe car.

For the love of God, he's KIDDING!!!

I may be exaggerating a little bit, but the premise is the same. I am observing a situation with limited knowledge. I then weigh the potential risks and if warranted make a call to the authorities. Isn't that what people say they would do.

For example, a child left alone in a car COULD be stolen, another car could hit them, they may overheat, they may freeze.

A child in a low crash test rated/ older model car COULD also be stolen (after the accident the thief would have an easier time getting to the child if an airbag did not deploy), another car could hit them, they may overheat if the A/C is broken, they may freeze if the heat is broken.

Why is it ok to call the authorities on Scenario A and not Scenario B?

:lmao: :lmao: .

Find me ONE legitimate news story where someone smashed a car window to steal a baby. One. Parental "awareness" is a good thing, but it is wasted and dulled when used for worrying about remote "possibilities" like someone smashing a car window to steal a baby :rolleyes2.
No need to fixate on one word. The point is not whether windows are routinely smashed in child abductions. The point is that even if your doors are locked, someone can get in your car and it only takes a few seconds. A car was just stolen with a baby in it a few days ago in an apartment parking lot while the mom was near the foyer. I don't recall if it was reported that she'd left it unlocked or if a window was broken, and really, what difference does it make? It could have happened either way. In that case, the car was abandoned with the unharmed baby inside, so it is assumed the theif didn't know the baby was inside, but that's no comfort to the mom whose baby is missing.

I remember another abduction several years ago where the baby was taken in the grocery store parking lot while mom was 10 feet away putting the cart in the cart corral. Again, it only takes a few seconds. I wouldn't leave my baby in her carseat on the sidewalk while I go into a building, I'm under no delusion that being locked in a car provides much more security.

There is also a (more likely) possibility that you will be run over in the parking lot.

"Hello, I notice you left your baby in the car. I know it's not illegal, but I am uncomfortable with your decisions as a parent, so please do things my way." :rotfl2:

BTW, I've never done it, and carrying 2 infant carseats across a parking lot and down a flight of stairs was not fun that year, especially since I then drove to another school, parked down the street, and loaded those seats into a snap and go to pick up the next kid. However, I do what I feel is best for MY children. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable, so I'm bringing them for selfish reasons. If someone wants to leave a baby in the locked car for 5 minutes - more power to them.
I'm not sure if your second paragraph is also directed towards me, but I specifically said I wouldn't confront a parent about such a decision, either. I can disagree with a parent's choice without getting involved, and I wouldn't unless I felt the child was in immediate danger.

I see a lot of people have their sarcasm meters turned off today.

I agree!

As to the original post, maybe parent A is knowingly taking the miniscule chance of something really scary to avoid an almost certain chance of something pretty bad. - Parent B doesn't know what happens when parent A does take the baby in (maybe it's an awful scene). According to the post, parent A is acting within state law, and the temperature of the car appears to be regulated for the baby's safety. So I do think parent B went too far.

I personally didn't let my child stay in the car alone (even though he repeatedly asked) until was quite old - but honestly, I was more afraid of trouble caused by people like parent B than I was of the actual "what ifs".

I'm curious... is there any situation where 'B' would NOT be termed a "busybody"?

What if the child is in the car for 15 minutes? 30?
What if the car isn't running?
What if the doors are unlocked?
What if it's a summer day (say temperature above 85)?

Do I think 'B' went overboard? Yes.
Do I think she went about things the wrong way? Yes.
Do I think her motives were good? Yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter