• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD? Child Left in Car

ACMommy

Earning My Ears
Parent A: Drops older child off at preschool and picks up daily. Leaves infant in car. Car is running. Doors are locked. School is located inside a church in a rural area.

Parent B: Notices infant in car and videotapes infant as well as the car's tag number. Reports to the preschool director and threatens to call police if Parent A continues to leave child in car. He/She brings his or her younger child in every pickup/drop-off.

State Law: A child may be left unattended in a car, running or not, for up to 10 minutes.

Maybe my cars are old and cheap, but how do you lock your car and keep it running at the same time?

Extra key? Keyless entry?

OP, I don't know how safe it is for "A" to leave the kid in the car, but "B" is totally out of bounds in videotaping. Really, who does that? :confused3

Maybe my cars are old and cheap, but how do you lock your car and keep it running at the same time?

1. Two sets of keys.

2. Take the door locker gadget and leave the ignition key in the ignition.

3. Keyless entry

If it isn't against the law the person should mine there own business.

I coudn't imagine video taping someone's car for that. Why not just approach the person and state your mind.

I'm guessing you're Parent A. State law or not, the preschool may have their own policy, for liability sake. I'd chat with them to find out and follow whatever it is. If it mirrors the state law, ask the preschool to tell Parent B to MYOB. I would not confront the other party.

Extra key? Keyless entry?

OP, I don't know how safe it is for "A" to leave the kid in the car, but "B" is totally out of bounds in videotaping. Really, who does that? :confused3

1. Two sets of keys.

3. Keyless entry

I coudn't imagine video taping someone's car for that. Why not just approach the person and state your mind.

Got it. My car doesn't have keyless,so I won't be able to do it.

I agree videotaping is very inappropriate.

1. Two sets of keys.

3. Keyless entry

Agree with this.

Parent A should bring infant in during drop off and pick up. Even if the law is 10 minutes, sometimes parents get waylaid and the child may be left alone longer than intended.

KennesawNemo said:

We have a remote start. Our doors MUST be locked in order for the remote start to work!

Parent A: Drops older child off at preschool and picks up daily. Leaves infant in car. Car is running. Doors are locked. School is located inside a church in a rural area.

Parent B: Notices infant in car and videotapes infant as well as the car's tag number. Reports to the preschool director and threatens to call police if Parent A continues to leave child in car. He/She brings his or her younger child in every pickup/drop-off.

State Law: A child may be left unattended in a car, running or not, for up to 10 minutes.

Parent B did the right thing IMO. There is no time EVER that I would have left my son inside a car, locked or not, by himself. Just because the school is located inside a church in a rural area does not make it any safer. I would have done the same thing.

If my car is running, the doors wont lock even if your inside or outside. My car is brand new too, 2012. I dunno how she managed to lock it with the car running. :confused3 Anyway, I think video taping was out of line.

I dont agree with leaving a child alone inside a running car, but if state law says 10 min or under is acceptable, then thats fine.

But I think the parent should have minded their own business thou.

If my car is running, the doors wont lock even if your inside or outside. My car is brand new too, 2012. I dunno how she managed to lock it with the car running. :confused3 Anyway, I think video taping was out of line.

I dont agree with leaving a child alone inside a running car, but if state law says 10 min or under is acceptable, then thats fine.

You can't lock your doors when you're in the car with it running?

Around here, there is no ten minute law.

I think parent A is insane to leave the child unattended in a running car. But if parent B has called the police, presumably the police will explain that it is legal for parent A to leave the kid for ten minutes.

If the state law says it's OK, then it's not illegal.

However, with all the nuts around today, even in rural areas (Newtown CT is suburban to rural in nature depending on where you live) I probably wouldn't leave a child unattended in a car, locked or not. Too much can happen in a short period of time.

If I saw a child left in a car, I'd probably hang out and keep an eye on the car/kid till Mom or Dad came back...not stand next to the car waiting to berate you, but just wait in my own car with my eyes on the other car until I saw someone was back with the kid.

But I think the parent should have minded their own business thou.

That seems odd. So you can't lock your doors while driving? A child could open the door while going down the road or someone could open your door at a stop sign and just hop in?

My doors lock automatically as soon as the vehicle is moving and I have keyless entry so it is very easy to lock and have the car running.

That's very strange. My car automatically locks as soon as I put it into motion.

That seems odd. So you can't lock your doors while driving? A child could open the door while going down the road or someone could open your door at a stop sign and just hop in?

My doors lock automatically as soon as the vehicle is moving and I have keyless entry so it is very easy to lock and have the car running.

Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps I am mistaken. Your right, I know for a fact that my doors automatically lock once i start driving. That much I do know! So your right about that. But I remember one instance where I tried to lock my doors but couldnt cause they kept unlocking on their own. Why would they unlock on their own? I cant remember. Thats why im confused. :confused3 Anyway, carry on.... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter