Wrong Time, Wrong Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you will find that most disagree with the actions at the funeral. However it was not organized, it was the average police officer expressing their feelings that the mayor doesn't support them and they don't support him. It's great for the mayor to call for a time for everyone to step back and reflect on the memories of the two murdered police officers. Yet he during these times rather than asking for calm, he came out against the NYPD lableing them as Racist, by explaining that he had to have a talk with his teenage son on people of color and the police. de Blazio ran on anti police platform and to expect the rank and file of the NYPD to support him or ignore his past actions and statements is Ludicrous. de Blazio sowed these seeds of distrust of the NYPD, now it is payback time for him.
Well said. I would have had more respect for the mayor if he had not spoken.

That's not what you asked. The time/place question specified this:
They do this at a funeral for "one of their own?" At a press conference perhaps. But at a funeral, it's just wrong!

nypd-turns-their-backs-2.png
- not turning backs on a(ny) speaker.

Person holding the sign is a private citizen.

If this had happened inside of the church then I could understand people being upset about it. But from my understanding, this happened outside on the streets where a television screen was projecting the speech from inside the service.

If this had happened inside of the church then I could understand people being upset about it. But from my understanding, this happened outside on the streets where a television screen was projecting the speech from inside the service.

This.

And concerning the turning of the backs showing disrespect, if the police believe that de Blazio turning his back on the cops helped bring about this police officer's death then where better to turn their backs on the mayor.

It probably would have looked worse if the DeBlasio had not attended, but he should not have spoken unless he was a personal friend of the officer. It just came off as political, and I respect the officers for their feelings toward him due to his lack of support for law enforcement.

A few months ago, I attended the funeral of a deputy who was murdered by a deranged man who fired a high powered weapon through a door when the deputy knocked and identified himself. The deputy was my son's close friend, mentor and coworker, and he left behind three children as well as three additional kids he was raising. It was very difficult. Several elected officials from all over the state attended out of respect and as a show of support, but none spoke. They didn't know him personally, and it would have seemed political and inappropriate. The sheriff spoke, and I wish I had a transcript of his eulogy to share.

I have my own opinion of DeBlasio.....nevermind.

So you think these actions occurred at the right time and the right place?

First off your post made it out like a uniformed police officer was protesting at the hero's funeral, which is false. Im also not sure why you felt the need to put "one of their own" in quotes either. It is one of their own. No quotes needed.

Second off, my opinion of whether it was the right place or time is irrelevant. The man holding the sign felt that it was the right time, and I support that, because I support our constitution. Would I have personally done it, nope.

Im not one to judge people, especially people that are grieving. If the police felt that the mayor turned his back on them and they politely and quietly turned their back on him speaking, then that is fine with me (although honestly my opinion doesn't really matter). It's their right. The right that plenty of men have died for. Who are we to tell them when and where it's appropriate?

Like everything in life, people are always going to have their own opinions about things. Not everyone will agree on everything, and that's ok. The good thing about this country is that we can all agree to disagree and live our own lives.

But to answer your question, no I do not think it was the right place or time to do that, but I didn't do it. The man who did it felt it was. The police who turned their backs think it was. And that is something that I support because it is their right to do so, whether I agree with it or not.

I just watched the Ed Show on MS/NBC where the opening segment was this very topic. Ed had on a Black member of the City Council and A Black NY State Senator. Basically they were trying to say that if the NYPD did this at the funeral who knows what they are capable of doing. They basically said that those officers who turned their backs should not have done it while they were still spewing the anti cop rhetoric.

The rank and file of the NYPD is upset with how de Blazio turned his back on them. The same goes for supporters of the NYPD, peolpe like myself. If it is wrong for a single person to hold up a sign to Dump de Blazio, than it is very wrong for People in Portland Washington to sing a Christmas Carol for Dead Cops. It is wrong for one hundred or so people to walk down a NYC street chanting for dead cops. It is wrong for protesters to shut down streets, bridges, and tunnels. It is wrong for protesters to loot and burn down stores. No outrage for these people, yet one sign in a sea of blue policemant makes a few upset.

The reason these folks are upset are that people are starting to see that these protesters and the rhetoric they spew are nothing but whinners that have nothing to back them up. They are starting lose momentum and turning on the police for some of their actions or a single sign is a way to again badmouth the Police. The NYPD in a given year will have 23 million interactions with the people they protect. What happened with Eric Garner is a tragedy but what about the other 22,999,999 interactions.

Are you seriously asserting that the NYPD is just one fatal interaction away from perfection? Costs of settlements for lawsuits where police abuse in interactions with citizens is escalating annually at the same time NYPD is dismissing more and more criminal and disciplinary charges in substantiated cases of police abuse.

All is not well.

Are you seriously asserting that the NYPD is just one fatal interaction away from perfection? Costs of settlements for lawsuits where police abuse in interactions with citizens is escalating annually at the same time NYPD is dismissing more and more criminal and disciplinary charges in substantiated cases of police abuse.

All is not well.

Did you make those facts up as you were typing? If you did a little research instead of engaging in a smear campaign then you would know that the city routinely settles lawsuits that are winnable because it is easier and in most cases more cost effective to settle than fight a lawsuit.

Now on to the alleged "subrtatiated" cases of abuse, Oh the cilvilian complaint board that is worse than kangaroo court and their determinations are made mostly by listening to astory and basing their descion on that that is hardly a legitimate reference . base your claims on. you should research facts before posting your outlandish claims.

All is not well.

Careful your anti NYPD is starting to show. Why are the protests, it's over one case where a criminal resisted arrest. Should have never happened, the small crime should have been handled with a summons and Garner should have listened to the cops.

I think that you will find that most disagree with the actions at the funeral. However it was not organized, it was the average police officer expressing their feelings that the mayor doesn't support them and they don't support him. It's great for the mayor to call for a time for everyone to step back and reflect on the memories of the two murdered police officers. Yet he during these times rather than asking for calm, he came out against the NYPD lableing them as Racist, by explaining that he had to have a talk with his teenage son on people of color and the police. de Blazio ran on anti police platform and to expect the rank and file of the NYPD to support him or ignore his past actions and statements is Ludicrous. de Blazio sowed these seeds of distrust of the NYPD, now it is payback time for him.

I agree

All is not well.

I don't think anyone thinks that the NYPD is perfect. Because they are human beings, and human beings are not perfect. But the overwhelming majority of the NYPD are good human beings who protect and serve.

And I would say the same about other law enforcement agencies as well. It's very PC right now to hate the police and to stereotype an entire profession based upon the actions of a very small number of officers.

While I am not anti-police or racist I still told my Indian husband I wasn't comfortable with him going out at night with a hoodie on if he thought he might put the hood up. While he's not black his skin is quite dark and given the charged atmosphere these days I didn't feel it would be safe for him to do so. I will be having a conversation with my sons about behavior around cops when they get older. During the summer they tan easily and don't look white. While I understand why the NYPD cops are upset with De Blasio I understand why he felt like he has to have that talk with his son.

As responsible parents, we should have that talk with all of our children, male and female, no matter what race. The problem is that a very large number of young people (but not all) are being raised with no sense of respect for adults or authority (or themselves), whether the adults are parents, teachers, retail personnel, police officers, etc. It is evident in schools, restaurants, stores, etc. The media and elected officials like DeBlasio have encouraged hatred and distrust. If it smells, it sells.

I don't think anyone thinks that the NYPD is perfect. Because they are human beings, and human beings are not perfect. But the overwhelming majority of the NYPD are good human beings who protect and serve.

I get the impression some do believe the NYPD are near perfect. The consensus here seems to be you can't say anything negative about police actions without being a cop hater.
It's somewhat funny that people will defend the NYPD speaking out against their mayor and turning their backs on him but then talk about respect for authority.

I get the impression some do believe the NYPD are near perfect. The consensus here seems to be you can't say anything negative about police actions without being a cop hater.
It's somewhat funny that people will defend the NYPD speaking out against their mayor and turning their backs on him but then talk about respect for authority.

It seems to me that the Mayor has done nothing to earn their respect. They haven't stopped performing their duties, they are simply expressing their displeasure for the Mayor.

The NYPD did respect the mayor by only turning their backs to him. They certainly didn't stand on cars and yell burn the city down. You can respectfully protest against something or someone.

If people are mad that the 2 police officers involved in the Mike Brown case and the Eric Garner case didn't get indicted, then they should be mad at the judicial system, not the police officers in our country. The police are NOT above the law. They were put through the exact same process that a normal citizen would have been put through if they committed a crime and it was determined that there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute.

The police did a silent, orderly gesture in protest. DeBlasio's statements about the police have done nothing to improve the community and may have even endangered the lives of police officers. I am glad he is not our mayor, given what has happened in our community in the past year. The officials here (but not the media) have encouraged open dialogue and tried to make things better, not worse.

My son got a CWP when he turned 21, and he was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled for an illegal turn. He told the officer (who was about 23 years old) he had a CWP and a weapon, and the officer told them to kneel on the sidewalk with their hands on their heads while he searched the vehicle. My son and his friend didn't like it, but they didn't backtalk or challenge the officer; his friend was given a ticket, the weapon was returned to my son, and they were sent on their way. No problem, even when a weapon was present.

JustineMarie, great post.

The police did a silent, orderly gesture in protest. DeBlasio's statements about the police have done nothing to improve the community and may have even endangered the lives of police officers. I am glad he is not our mayor, given what has happened in our community in the past year. The officials here (but not the media) have encouraged open dialogue and tried to make things better, not worse.

My son got a CWP when he turned 21, and he was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled for an illegal turn. He told the officer (who was about 23 years old) he had a CWP and a weapon, and the officer told them to kneel on the sidewalk with their hands on their heads while he searched the vehicle. My son and his friend didn't like it, but they didn't backtalk or challenge the officer; his friend was given a ticket, the weapon was returned to my son, and they were sent on their way. No problem, even when a weapon was present.

Having an open dialogue to make things better means there is an issue and many don't want to see that. That seems to be the biggest divide. It's hard to have an open dialogue when nobody wants to see the other side does have valid points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter