• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Writing

I guess but I've never heard it used on a girl before. Maybe they're just uncommon where I live but not other places... Those are cool names! I love coming up with names, that's one of my favorite parts of writing!

I think names can be very defining for a character, some characters I put a lot of thought into their names.

I think names can be very defining for a character, some characters I put a lot of thought into their names.

Definitely! A member of my critique group once suggested that I change a character's name, and I kind of laughed because there's no way I could do that without completely redefining the entire character.

Oh nooo! That's sad :( So you write longhand? I'm perpetually terrified my computer will crash and I'll lose all my writing. (even though I've emailed it to people and such)

Well I moved from PA to Florida so now we just write letters to each other :) I know me too! I may do an edit of the book I already wrote...if I need something to do over thanksgiving break.

I have several beginnings and much more prewritings but I only finished one thing, however it was complete crap so I abandoned it. I'll probably do a rewrite at some point. I also wrote 1 one act play and have just started a two-act play I'm really excited about. And I'm writing a poem collection, meaning I'm writing a bunch of poems and putting them in one document so I can publish them as a book. Yeah, I get nervous about sharing my original work because I'm afraid someone will steal my ideas. I've written fanfics for various fandoms too, but that's nerdy so I'm wary about sharing that. Your voice is very nice. However, that's all I can say. There's no context here. I know nothing about this character. I know nothing about when this happens in the story. I don't know whether Max is a sibling or friend or whether Max is a boy or a girl, as one of my favorite heroines is named Max. And I think the order of the questions/the priorities are a little strangely ordered. What I mean is, assuming your character is a teenage girl, if I woke up and found myself bare, that would instantly be on my mind, as I'd be worried someone did something unspeakable to me. Then I'd look for wounds, and only then would I worry about anything else. And, as should be fairly obvious by now, if it were me, someone else would not be my top concern. My top priority would be making it out alive. But that's just me.[/QUOTE

It's the beginning of the story and I haven't typed it up yet so I will make sure that I use your suggestions. Max is her younger brother, and, he's her number one priority because she loves him and has protected him for years. It'll come later in the story :)

Confession: I usually hate writing...:P
BUT...I've written two short stories for school that I actually 'like'; y'know, ones that I'm interested in rereading or editing.:) Also I've done a few 'group' stories on other forums with online friends.
And I'm working on a fanfiction idea that popped into my head awhile ago...I wasn't going to actually write my idea, but then I thought, "Hey, why not? Might be fun since you don't HAVE to do it" and it's coming along pretty well, I think.:)

That's interesting that you can focus on that much. When I need to get stuff out I fantasize about stories I might write down some day, it's just that they're only in my head for now.

I love unusual names.

If you saw the poetry I've written, you'd be terrified. But some of them are sing song like which I have to fix.

If you saw the poetry I've written, you'd be terrified. But some of them are sing song like which I have to fix.

I'm sure I wouldn't be, not unless it was actually terrifying according to definition (in the Edgar Allen Poe sense). I'm not good at poetry.

I consider myself to be a talented writer. My parents have pushed me in my writing since I was in middle school and it's stuck with me since.

I started writing stories for a board similar to this in 5th grade. I think it was WebkinzInsider or something like that (don't judge me, I was 11 haha) and a bunch of people liked what I wrote so I kept on writing. I never finished anything there, of course, 'cause I was like 11 so what the hell did I know about executing plots well?

So then in 8th grade I won this contest through Barnes and Nobles. It was a Teacher of the Year essay and I won in like June. I only made it to the local store, though, so my prize was a signed copy of a book by an obscure author and a $15 gift card. It was a really big deal to my school (my principal called me down to his office to congratulate me and the superintendent of the school district was there, it was in the local newspaper, people interviewed me from the high school newspaper), and that put a lot of things into perspective to me. So I started being more serious about my writing knowing that I had a bit of aptitude and drive, per se, and that made me want to take a couple of writing courses in high school.

So, at first my central beat was creative writing. But if I wanted to take the creative writing class in high school, I had to take an introductory journalism class as a prerequisite. At first, I didn't like the idea of journalistic writing at all. But in due time, I actually didn't mind it and could see a plausible career as a journalist in my future. So I took my sought-out creative writing class sophomore year and enjoyed that as well. Then finally, this year, my senior year, I decided to take the newspaper class. So I'm now a staff writer for our school newspaper. And I really, really like seeing my name in print at the beginning of every month, so I think I'm gonna consider pursuing journalism in college as well.

I still really like creative writing, though. As of late, I've been typing up all of my stories on my iPad because it's easy to carry them with me wherever I go. I rarely write longhand, but when I do, I have all these cute Japanese notebooks I fill with short little prose and the beginnings of short stories. This usually occurs during my "2 hours" (when I have a study hall right after my lunch period and don't have to be in school) in Starbucks.

TL;DR- I like writing a lot, and I'm good at it, and I want to make a career from it.

I consider myself to be a talented writer. My parents have pushed me in my writing since I was in middle school and it's stuck with me since.

I started writing stories for a board similar to this in 5th grade. I think it was WebkinzInsider or something like that (don't judge me, I was 11 haha) and a bunch of people liked what I wrote so I kept on writing. I never finished anything there, of course, 'cause I was like 11 so what the hell did I know about executing plots well?

So then in 8th grade I won this contest through Barnes and Nobles. It was a Teacher of the Year essay and I won in like June. I only made it to the local store, though, so my prize was a signed copy of a book by an obscure author and a $15 gift card. It was a really big deal to my school (my principal called me down to his office to congratulate me and the superintendent of the school district was there, it was in the local newspaper, people interviewed me from the high school newspaper), and that put a lot of things into perspective to me. So I started being more serious about my writing knowing that I had a bit of aptitude and drive, per se, and that made me want to take a couple of writing courses in high school.

So, at first my central beat was creative writing. But if I wanted to take the creative writing class in high school, I had to take an introductory journalism class as a prerequisite. At first, I didn't like the idea of journalistic writing at all. But in due time, I actually didn't mind it and could see a plausible career as a journalist in my future. So I took my sought-out creative writing class sophomore year and enjoyed that as well. Then finally, this year, my senior year, I decided to take the newspaper class. So I'm now a staff writer for our school newspaper. And I really, really like seeing my name in print at the beginning of every month, so I think I'm gonna consider pursuing journalism in college as well.

I still really like creative writing, though. As of late, I've been typing up all of my stories on my iPad because it's easy to carry them with me wherever I go. I rarely write longhand, but when I do, I have all these cute Japanese notebooks I fill with short little prose and the beginnings of short stories. This usually occurs during my "2 hours" (when I have a study hall right after my lunch period and don't have to be in school) in Starbucks.

TL;DR- I like writing a lot, and I'm good at it, and I want to make a career from it.

Whoa, super cool! Dude, that's awesome! (I did read the whole thing btw). I didn't know you were a serious writer, I knew you were into theatre, but that's awesome! We seem to have a lot in common haha. I'm planning on double majoring in English and Theatre, so yeah! That's cool, I've never really tried journalism but idk, I really really really like fiction writing. I'm kind of addicted to my book at the moment, which is a little strange, but all I've ever really done is fiction, aside from the occasional crappy poem or piece about an experience that happened to me or something like that. What was your essay about?

I'm actually in the middle of writing a story. I out myself on hiatus thought because of school but I might start writing again soon. Here's the link to the sotyr and other stuff for it: http://www.polyvore.com/confessions_ally_witch/collection?id=3327182
And here's about the characters: http://www.polyvore.com/characters_in_confessions_ally_witch/collection?id=3541453

Cool! I've found that it's usually good to take breaks when you're writing because then you can come back to it with fresh eyes and notice things you didn't notice before.

Whoa, super cool! Dude, that's awesome! (I did read the whole thing btw). I didn't know you were a serious writer, I knew you were into theatre, but that's awesome! We seem to have a lot in common haha. I'm planning on double majoring in English and Theatre, so yeah! That's cool, I've never really tried journalism but idk, I really really really like fiction writing. I'm kind of addicted to my book at the moment, which is a little strange, but all I've ever really done is fiction, aside from the occasional crappy poem or piece about an experience that happened to me or something like that. What was your essay about?

I thought about double majoring in theatre and english, but double majoring is SO much work and the theatre department is really competitive in my top choice. I'm gonna major in either Early Childhood Education or Business and minor in Creative Writing or Journalism.

My essay was just about a teacher I had that year who was really, really nice. It was a teacher of the year prompt so I didnt have much to work with haha

I thought about double majoring in theatre and english, but double majoring is SO much work and the theatre department is really competitive in my top choice. I'm gonna major in either Early Childhood Education or Business and minor in Creative Writing or Journalism.

My essay was just about a teacher I had that year who was really, really nice. It was a teacher of the year prompt so I didnt have much to work with haha

Yeah, I talked to people at the college I'm going to, and they said english and theatre is a common double because they have a lot of required classes in common. Theatre could also help me get a job at Disney, which is what I'd LOVE to make a career out of, if not writing, which is basically my passion. Business is a good major though, 'cause it'll help you get a job a lot more than english or theatre will. I kind of worry that I'll end up as a starving artist, but who knows.

That's cool that you write different stuff, I tend to stick to contemporary realistic fiction which is kind of a narrow category when you think of all the stuff you can write about...

Yeah, I talked to people at the college I'm going to, and they said english and theatre is a common double because they have a lot of required classes in common. Theatre could also help me get a job at Disney, which is what I'd LOVE to make a career out of, if not writing, which is basically my passion. Business is a good major though, 'cause it'll help you get a job a lot more than english or theatre will. I kind of worry that I'll end up as a starving artist, but who knows. That's cool that you write different stuff, I tend to stick to contemporary realistic fiction which is kind of a narrow category when you think of all the stuff you can write about...

Do they really? I've thought about doubling up or maj/minor in them, but I was never sure. I'm looking for a voice teacher currently.
What type of fiction do you guys write about?

Do they really? I've thought about doubling up or maj/minor in them, but I was never sure. I'm looking for a voice teacher currently.

Mostly anything but dystopian. I've never been a fan of dystopian fiction :confused3

Yeah, that's what the theatre professor I talked to when I visited my college said. Like classes on Shakespeare or playwriting or whatever could apply to both.

Pretty much only contemporary realistic young adult or middle grade. I've tried fantasy before but idk, I guess I prefer writing about the real world.

Yeah, that's what the theatre professor I talked to when I visited my college said. Like classes on Shakespeare or playwriting or whatever could apply to both. Pretty much only contemporary realistic young adult or middle grade. I've tried fantasy before but idk, I guess I prefer writing about the real world.

Interesting. I hope that's the same for my future college.

Fantasy is hard to write because it's a whole new world (no pun intended :) that you have to create yourself. And then there are the fantasy books that just aren't very good, and you have to rise up to a certain extent (in my mind), yada yada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter