Write four names for thirteen (homework)

Lorix2

<font color=blue>Pixie and Dylan's mom<br><font co
I am stumped, it doesn't look as though it's asking for four different ways to come up with thirteen. Is this how you would understand it?

I'm embarrassed even asking, especially since this is 2nd grade homework.

that is the exact wording of the "problem". Yes, it is included in a math homework sheet, preprinted with problems like "if Susy had $5.00 and spent $2.00, how much would she have left" and equal or greater thans, etc..

1 ten and 3 ones
thirteen
XIII

or what you originally thought.....12+1, 11+2, 10+3, 9+4.....

Good luck. It is bad when you can't even understand the question.

What else are they learning? You may be able to figure out what they want by seeing what other examples are being done

thanks Breezy, that's good. Maybe it is looking for 4 ways to make up 13? but the way it is worded is hard for an 8 y/o.

disneyfan - :rotfl2:

Did you ask the child what "names" means? They've probably covered it in class and maybe they can give an example that would help.

Sometimes, the teacher is using different terminology to help the students more easily grasp the concept. We've had that happen a couple of times this year.

How about in another language as well? Do they study French or Spanish?

I teach third grade and we cover this in our Math curriculum. They are asking to show the number 13 in four ways-such as: 14-1, 13 tally marks, 6+7, 13-0. Anything that represents 13!!!

1. Tenty three!
2. The number formerly known as 12 + 1!
3. The number who has been cheated out of having building floors named after it!
4. And airplane rows, too.

Barb D said:
1. Tenty three!
3. The number who has been cheated out of having building floors named after it!

:rotfl2:

You must be new to "Math Thier Way". A word to the wise. Watch for the parent letters that come out at the start of every chapter. They have the answers in the back! I agree with those who said - anything that represents 13 (14-1, etc.).

Barb D said:
1. Tenty three!

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

as he left for school i asked our resident 8 year old what he would answer if given this question, his response-

"frank, george, yugio and teddy".

(oh that private school education is realy paying off i tell you :rotfl2: ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter