• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you report this as credit card fraud?

Mamato2cutekiddos

Mouseketeer
Here is my sorrid tale- order some products through an at-home direct sales person. They were products I wanted to try and I sought out a distributor.

It's been several days since I placed my order. Upon placing my order I did not receive a confirmation email. I contacted the "rep" and she told me it can take up to 3 hours. That was 3 days ago. I've contacted her every day since and she is not responding. I tried calling the company's customer service line, sat on hold for 20 minutes and never got connected.

I'm getting frustrated and worried. Yes, I initially made the purchase but now I am suspicious. Do you think I can flag this as fraud on my CC? Shouldn't a legit company provide some sort of proof that I bought something? I feel as though I have done my due-dilligence in attempting to resolve the matter with the comapny- both through the rep AND by calling customer service and sitting on hold for over 20 minutes before my lunch break was over and needed to get back to my desk.

I am so annoyed at myself. What on earth should I do?

This isn't fraud. This is you changing your mind about a transaction. If you no longer want to complete the purchase, let the distributor know to cancel the order. You can dispute any charge made after that.

The fraud department will want specifics so once you explain the situation they will know it isn't fraud.

You can't dispute the charges if they haven't been posted yet. Charges shouldn't post until shipping is done.

Does the company have a website? If not then I would be very suspicious as well. If they do, try contacting them through email and tell them you have not received a receipt. If you still don't hear anything for 48 hours then I would mark it as fraud. For peace of mind, credit card companies usually give you 30-60 days to mark something as fraudulent. Debit cards however are usually 24-72 hours.

After 7 to 10 days without receiving the products or hearing from the rep I would report it to the police AND the credit card co. I work for a major credit card company and in order to report fraud we ask for a police report

Thanks guys. I submitted a request through the company website. I'll see where that gets me.

Hopefully you won't have to take it further then this, if you do, at least you have a paper trail now to show you did attempt to reach out. Though if you didn't the first time, any future emails you should cc yourself as well so that you receive a sent copy.

My guess is that everything is probably fine and for whatever reason you didn't get a confirmation email. Is it possible the rep entered in your email wrong when she submitted the order? Honestly, most at-home consultants/reps aren't very professional in my experience so not hearing back from her for a few days doesn't strike me as odd. Unprofessional? Yes. Alarming? Ehh...she's probably just a flake or busy with another job (or kids or whatnot). Has she given you information as to when to expect shipment of your order? When disputing credit card charges you have quite a bit of time to dispute them so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

If you decide to cancel your order, make sure you see the refund and once you get your refund, I'd send an email to the rep as to why you're uncomfortable with her: She doesn't respond in a timely manner and you don't feel comfortable seeing credit card charges post to your account without having received confirmation of your purchase. Hopefully she'll take that into consideration the next time she does business with someone.

Here is my sorrid tale- order some products through an at-home direct sales person. They were products I wanted to try and I sought out a distributor.

It's been several days since I placed my order. Upon placing my order I did not receive a confirmation email. I contacted the "rep" and she told me it can take up to 3 hours. That was 3 days ago. I've contacted her every day since and she is not responding. I tried calling the company's customer service line, sat on hold for 20 minutes and never got connected.

I'm getting frustrated and worried. Yes, I initially made the purchase but now I am suspicious. Do you think I can flag this as fraud on my CC? Shouldn't a legit company provide some sort of proof that I bought something? I feel as though I have done my due-dilligence in attempting to resolve the matter with the comapny- both through the rep AND by calling customer service and sitting on hold for over 20 minutes before my lunch break was over and needed to get back to my desk.

I am so annoyed at myself. What on earth should I do?

Let me see if I understand. You went to a Pampered Chef or Jamberry's party or something, and decided to buy a product from the company, and you placed the order, and you don't have an emailed confirmation yet?

When I've been to those type of things, the sales rep often waits several days to finalize the sales. She probably simply has not put the transaction thru the system yet. How in the world would that be fraud?? Don't you have some sort of an order form that serves as your receipt? That's your proof. Remember the days before we had instant email receipts for everything? We lived. Take a deep breath and relax.

She said the the transaction has CLEARED her bank. That means that the sales rep has finalized the sales. I used to sell Pampered Chef and the credit card was NEVER run until the "party" was closed.

Since it has cleared your bank and you are not receiving a response from the sales rep or the company, I would call the credit card company immediately and dispute the charge since you have not received product or a response. I had to dispute a charge with Chase a few months ago and they did not require a police report. I didn't report it as fraud, I just disputed the charge. They sent me paperwork that I had to fill out and send back in and they contacted the vendor and handled the whole process. Same thing with American Express. I had to dispute a charge on a company card. AmEx took it from there.

Let me see if I understand. You went to a Pampered Chef or Jamberry's party or something, and decided to buy a product from the company, and you placed the order, and you don't have an emailed confirmation yet?

When I've been to those type of things, the sales rep often waits several days to finalize the sales. She probably simply has not put the transaction thru the system yet. How in the world would that be fraud?? Don't you have some sort of an order form that serves as your receipt? That's your proof. Remember the days before we had instant email receipts for everything? We lived. Take a deep breath and relax.

If you read the thread before jumping all over the poster you would have noticed she said that it had already been processed on her card, so she has already been charged. She's been trying for three days, now four to contact both the sales rep and the company. I believe she has a right to be worried if she was not given a receipt.

It's not fraud --- yet.

Write to her, asking about the status of your order, about a week after you think the order should have been delivered. Another week later, write again if you don[t receive the merchandise or a reply. The third week ask to cancel the order. The fifth week put in a dispute with your credit card company. Disputes can be "ordinary" as opposed to about fraud. You should not assume or presume that fraud exists.

(For those using debit cards and eavesdropping, it may be necessary to act on shorter time frames; see your card terms and conditions.)

No. I ordered through her website. I did not attend a party. I do not have a writen or electronic reciept. I currently have no proof that I made a purchase from their company.

In any of your emails to her have you stated that you will be having your credit card company dealing with her from now on? Maybe that will get a response from her...

If you can see the order on your account, is that not "proof" of your order? I'd wait it out, most people wouldn't even be checking at this point? Until it's been a reasonable time frame for the item to be delivered i don't even see an issue...

If you can see the order on your account, is that not "proof" of your order? I'd wait it out, most people wouldn't even be checking at this point? Until it's been a reasonable time frame for the item to be delivered i don't even see an issue...

The issue is she has nothing stating what she actually bought. So if she spent $50 they could send her a spoon and say that's what she bought, or worse send her nothing. If she does receive her items and something is defective how will she return it without a receipt? Just because her card is charged doesn't mean the company or sales rep it was charged to will keep accurate records.

Silly question, but have you checked your spam folder to see if an email from the company could have been routed there?

I really didn't intend on this being such a big issue LOL. All I was looking for was a confirmation email stating I bought something.

If you dropped $500 at target.com and they charged your card but you never received an email providing you with an order number and a list of your items you wouldn't be concerned? (maybe target isn't a good example because it's a well known store... but you get my idea). Even after 4 business days you would think it was normal that they didn't provide you with a reciept?

Of course it takes a week or so for something to actually process and ship. THAT isn't the issue. The issue is that they've charged my card, and I have NO proof that I made a purchase. Not an order number, not a reciept, nothing.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do A LOT of online shopping and almost immidiately after hitting that "buy now" button you get an email thanking you for your purchase, listing your purchased items and the total at the bottom. That is all I am looking for. Even if I called customer service (and got through) how would I identify myself. I have nothing. My name? Chances are they are going to want an order number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter