Would you let your child wait for you outside of ride???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you think you should or not, whether you think a child can handle it or not - my $0.02 is simply that no ride is worth the risk. And this comes from a single mom of 2 boys who will be traveling solo with them to the park to summer. There will be things I miss out on but so be it!

maxiesmom said:
Not like they are at WDW. And none of those places are set up with manned exits, as are the parks at WDW. Plus I highly doubt your local gas station has undercover security roaming around the place.

There is simply no place safer to allow a child a little freedom than a Disney park.

Then how about football games, baseball games, airports, hospitals? All have cameras and security and all have had abductions.

Whether you think you should or not, whether you think a child can handle it or not - my $0.02 is simply that no ride is worth the risk. And this comes from a single mom of 2 boys who will be traveling solo with them to the park to summer. There will be things I miss out on but so be it!

That's correct. No ride is worth it. But incrementally teaching my child decision making skills and independence definitely IS worth it.

I posted yesterday that I just could not enjoy the ride while my child waited for me. Thoughout the day I would ask folks their opinion and without exception, everyone immediately replied that they would never consider it. We like to think that this abuduction or dangerous acts would never happen in WDW, but I just could not take that chance. Yes, I knew my child, but I also know the world in general.

Let's look at some facts

Missing and exploited children has published these stats
800,000 kids are reported missing each year.
200,000 are abducted by family (so things like custody disputes)
58,000 are abducted by people they know ( so coaches, teachers, neighbors etc)
115 are typical stranger abductions

Even in the case in cleveland there are reports that the victims may have known the abductor. One was hid daughters best friend and the other worked with his son.

Do I teach my kids what to do if a stranger approaches them and tries to take them, sure but I don't hide them away in a tower until they are 18.

mom2rtk said:
That's correct. No ride is worth it. But incrementally teaching my child decision making skills and independence definitely IS worth it.

To be abducted or not!

To be abducted or not!

:confused3

You think I want to help my child to decide whether to be abducted or not? I'm really lost.

I want to teach her to make decisions without mom standing there thinking FOR her. Because very soon the day will come that mom won't be in the room. Because I don't intend to move into the dorm with her when she goes away to school.

I want to teach her to function in the world on her own. You don't just decide to do that when they turn 18. I want to give her the confidence to smartly handle herself in the world on her own without me at her side.

mom2rtk said:
:confused3

You think I want to help my child to decide whether to be abducted or not? I'm really lost.

I want to teach her to make decisions without mom standing there thinking FOR her. Because very soon the day will come that mom won't be in the room. Because I don't intend to move into the dorm with her when she goes away to school.

I thought we were talking about a 10 yr. old, now its 18??

Don't blink. It happens far quicker than you think.

My point is that if you wait until they are 18, you have waited too long. I waited too long with my oldest and 18 was really hard. Sending him out in a car into the city to drive to college was far harder than it needed to be. I'm hoping that when my current 18 year old heads away to college this fall, we will find that we did better with it. My goal is to finally have it all figured out by the time my daughter turns 18.

Gracie09 said:
Let's look at some facts

Missing and exploited children has published these stats
800,000 kids are reported missing each year.
200,000 are abducted by family (so things like custody disputes)
58,000 are abducted by people they know ( so coaches, teachers, neighbors etc)
115 are typical stranger abductions

Even in the case in cleveland there are reports that the victims may have known the abductor. One was hid daughters best friend and the other worked with his son.

Do I teach my kids what to do if a stranger approaches them and tries to take them, sure but I don't hide them away in a tower until they are 18.

1 is enough for me!

To be abducted or not!

The only way to be 100% certian your child won't be abducted would be to watch them 24/7, slep in shifts, ect, and never let them out of your sight even for a second, but it is impossible to raise a functioning productive adult that way. I think the miniscule risk that something might happen to them is worth the benefit of a healthy productive life. At some point, children HAVE to be allowed to do things independently, and honestly from the prespective of someone who works with teens and preteens daily, many of them cannot function inependently well into thier teens. Parents are afraid to let them try becuase "something might happen to them".

More and more over the last decade I have watched kids become less and less capable of doing things for themselves. Mommy is still bringing their lunch to school, dealing with the teacher when Johnny gets a bad grade, washing thier clothes for them, gasing the car so they don't run out of gas, and generally micromanaging thier lives on an increasingly larger scale and increasingly later into high school. Colleges have had to institute formal "break away" sessions to get parents to understand that they cannot micromamage college, professors will not discuss thier child's grade with them, and they cannot call and "fix" anything thier kid screws up.

My boys are 13, 13 & 9. I'm hoping we do everything together on our 1st trip. But, if there is a ride one does not want to go on, I will sit it out w/him. That's just me. I will allow my twins some "freedom" as in if they want to ride alien encounter they can go on while I & ds9 do something else. I will also allow them some freedom at the resort,, pool, arcades, foodcourt. I'm lucky since they r 2 that can stick together. But, I wouldn't allow my 9 year old (mature almost 10) that flexibility. But, I'm over protective.

But when do you start allowing little freedoms? And where? I do think what age and where depend more on the child than on their age. However some posters sound as if they want to watch their kids 24/7 and then suddenly send the off into the world, somehow magically ready to handle things on their own. Without ever having let them learn how to handle things themselves.

Ten may not be the right age for your child. Doesn't mean it is the wrong age for everyone else's child. But at some point every parent has to let go a bit and let their child learn to be alone and handle themselves. And WDW is the safest place imaginable to do that. A place that you have to pay a good amount just to enter. A place where you are always on camera. A place with both uniformed and undercover security. A place with many people around who would step up in an heartbeat if they thought something strange was going on.

kris4360 said:

You have to teach life skills before the child is 18. You can't wait until the day you pack her up & send her off to college to teach all the life survival skills she'll need. My 13 year old ds toured the parks with his 12 year old sister. They did great. They had a hiccup along the way, but nothing that wasn't totally handle-able.

Don't blink. It happens far quicker than you think.

My point is that if you wait until they are 18, you have waited too long. I waited too long with my oldest and 18 was really hard. Sending him out in a car into the city to drive to college was far harder than it needed to be. I'm hoping that when my current 18 year old heads away to college this fall, we will find that we did better with it. My goal is to finally have it all figured out by the time my daughter turns 18.

Exactly this. If you don't allow them to start doing things independently well before college, that first semester tends to be a disaster for everyone involved. The reason I see many kids fail out of their first semester is NOT academic, usually it is maturity becuase they have never had to handle anything by themselves and they are competely lost. Many of them cannot do laundry, get themselves up and ready for school, navigate the campus, manage money, or be smart about thier personal safety because mommy has always done it for them.

We are donig this generatrion a huge disservice by making 10 year olds go potty with mommy, not allowing them to cross the street, walk to a friend's, handle thier own problems at school,or be alone for more than 3 seconds becuase WE are too afraid to let go of the control we have over our kids, and if we are really honest that is what it is about, loss of control. We as a society need to stop micromaaging our kids lives and let them learn to be independent. We are already beginning to see the poor results of helicopter parenting. More kids move home with mom and dad after college now than ever before because they simply cannot function on thier own. Could something bad happen? Yes, but the odds are better that you will get hit for a bus tomorrow. Yet we still walk out into the street and cross. Why can we not apply the same logic to the skills our kids need to succeed?

I posted yesterday that I just could not enjoy the ride while my child waited for me. Thoughout the day I would ask folks their opinion and without exception, everyone immediately replied that they would never consider it. We like to think that this abuduction or dangerous acts would never happen in WDW, but I just could not take that chance. Yes, I knew my child, but I also know the world in general.

If you think allowing a 10 year old to go get something to eat in the Magic Kingdom while the rest of his family rides a ride is just too big a risk, then I respectfully disagree. You do not know the world very well. The percentage of people who would harm a child is minuscule and the chance of one of them grabbing him and dragging him out of a theme park in the 10 minutes his family is away is even smaller. We humans are not very good at assessing high stakes, low probability events like child abductions. The problem with the "I won't take any risk" stance is that over-protection causes very real harm to kids. You can't expect them to suddenly become independent one day. It happens incrementally, and if you don't give them the opportunity to stretch their wings, they can't learn how to handle challenges on their own. What the OP originally described seems a perfectly sensible and age appropriate way for a kid to gain some independence.

cheer25mom said:
Exactly this. If you don't allow them to start doing things independently well before college, that first semester tends to be a disaster for everyone involved. The reason I see many kids fail out of their first semester is NOT academic, usually it is maturity becuase they have never had to handle anything by themselves and they are competely lost. Many of them cannot do laundry, get themselves up and ready for school, navigate the campus, manage money, or be smart about thier personal safety because mommy has always done it for them.

We are donig this generatrion a huge disservice by making 10 year olds go potty with mommy, not allowing them to cross the street, walk to a friend's, handle thier own problems at school,or be alone for more than 3 seconds becuase WE are too afraid to let go of the control we have over our kids, and if we are really honest that is what it is about, loss of control. We as a society need to stop micromaaging our kids lives and let them learn to be independent. We are already beginning to see the poor results of helicopter parenting. More kids move home with mom and dad after college now than ever before because they simply cannot function on thier own. Could something bad happen? Yes, but the odds are better that you will get hit for a bus tomorrow. Yet we still walk out into the street and cross. Why can we not apply the same logic to the skills our kids need to succeed?

I bet your theory would change if you ever had a child abducted.

I bet your theory would change if you ever had a child abducted.

I don't think so.

I see the results of the opposite stance every day and they do far more lasting harm to far more children. I could not in good conscience let what happend to one child allow me to destroy the life of another.

My just turned 11 child could easily handle it. My 9 1/2 year old probably isn't ready.

In general, I do believe in giving children freedom and opportunities for growth. I think it's my responsibility to get them ready for adulthood. And, for me, that means starting young with small steps. And, again for me, I would consider leaving a mature 10 year old at the a gift shop while I rode a ride to be a fairly safe way to give them the opportunity for independence (for my oldest- not sure my youngest will be ready at 10- kids are different). Is it completely risk free? No, very little is. But, she's more at risk of being molested at a sleepover at a friend's house. So, we talk about that, but I'm not going to keep her home from sleepovers. I send her with a phone, so she's never dependent on an adult to call home (especially since so many homes do not have land lines now) and teach her to listen to her instincts. And honestly, I think the risk of abduction in a WDW park is really, really small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter