Would you let your child wait for you outside of ride???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the kid but probably. Get him a snack and cellphone and tell him to stay put.

Yep, been there done that and that's what I did. My daughter is now 22 and when she was 11 she didn't like Tower of Terror or Rock n Roll Roller coaster and would wait for us. She's 22 now...so obviously she somehow managed to survive being alone for a few minutes.

I would, we're taking my 13 year old sister to Disney in December with us and I've told her that if she doesn't want to ride something that's fine but if it's one that DH and I love we're still going to ride it and she can wait in the gift shop(every ride that we would do this on has fastpass so we would be gone 20 minutes max unless the ride broke down). I would have done the same with her at 10 because I know I could and still can trust her to stay where I put her. Also, in your situation with other kids I think you can prevent a lot of fighting by taking your other two kids to ride something that your son won't. If they have to miss a ride that they like because of him it could lead to resentment which could turn into arguments which are no fun on vacation. I think as long as the line isn't long and you can trust him to stay put he'll be fine.

You go to WDW for your kids. Let the older children ride and you sit it out or find sometihng else to do while the older ones ride.

Yeah, most likely....especially if the wait time was short and the kid didnt have a problem with it.

I'd trust my 10 year old to sit by themselves for 10-15 mins and play on a phone and wait for us without wandering off.

Plan to go on the ride when the wait time is hardly no wait. That way he wont be there very long. Maybe he can wait by the CM's.

How old are the two that want to ride?

If they are older I would let them ride together and stay with the 10 year old. After they get off I would have all 3 do something together while I rode.

I do not have a problem with children splitting up for a short time in Disney. It is the fact one that age would be totally alone. My main concern would be the length of time he would be alone if god forbid the ride breaks down and you are stuck for 45 min. That could get really scary for him.

I would ride it with the older ones while DH was there and could go on rides with your ds that he does enjoy. Or I just wouldn't ride it. I've yet to ride several things. The girls aren't tall enough and it's not that important to me right now. Is it fear of the ride or just that he doesn't care for it? Maybe just understand that he can't handle the ride and find something you could do as a family. I see making him sit alone almost as a punishment. That's just me.

In 2004 at DHS my wife waited as I rode ToT with another couple on our trip. A little girl, about 6, sat next to my wife and struck up a conversation. "My dad said you looked like a nice lady and I should sit with you while re rides ToT" She was at the park with her dad and her mom was back at the hotel with her brother. Hey, her dad was right, my wife is a nice lady!

I just couldn't do it. Maybe do this: all of you go through the line together until the chicken exit and you and DS exit while the older two ride. Then maybe the older ones could wait with DS while you ride.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a ten year old, but I'm sure that depends on number or factors. But last year when DGD was 12, she was determined not to ride Mission Space (green side), and I mean fit-pitching determined. So we agreed that she could wait in the gift shop that MS dumps into after the ride. It was a slow time of year, very little wait time for the ride. She was fine and we got to ride.

I'm with the people who say - you know your child, do what you think is best.

Our school starts taking kids to Cedar Point in 5th grade (so about 10 or 11) and while they travel down with a couple of chaperones, the kids wander around on their own all day. I started going alone when I was 11, before cell phones, and I'm sure there were plenty of creepy people then too. I had no problems.

If it were my child, my only concern about HM is that there really isn't a quiet place to leave him. On ToT, there's an area with benches near the photo pick up area, so there are CM's around and a shop to pass through on the way outside. HM is in a high travel location. That is the only thing that would bother me. However, it is your child. If you have a good place in mind where he can wait, give him a cell phone and enjoy the ride.

I would- there is a little porch with either a bench or rocking chairs right by the entrance to the line (across from Columbia HH) he could easily sit there, get him a snack and drink or something and have him wait until he sees you. Of course go when the wait is very low, and go through the faster side of the line not the extended interactive side.

I would not let my kids out of sight at a huge theme park, if he didn't want to ride one parent would stay behind with him while the other goes one the ride with the other kid. I would spend the whole ride worrying about him anyway so not worth IMO.

Depends on your kid in a big way..

but it sounds like this particular kid has some issues with anxiety. Granted, it sounds like its the imaginary scenarios in movies and rides are what make him uneasy, but his natural thermostat seems set to "anxious." And kids who are anxious have great imaginations.

So imagine...you're a naturally anxious kid...you've been told where your parents will be and when they'll be back...you acknowledge you understand...they say to text and that they'll text you...and then they walk away.

There are lots of people around. You know about stranger danger, so your imagination starts whirring. You check the clock. It feels like they have been gone forever, but its been 5 minutes. You start to wonder if they'll be back soon. The panic builds up. You text them, no response. Are they on the ride? Somewhere they dont have reception? maybe something happened! You wonder what will happen when they don't come back. If! You meant if!! they don't come back! Your heart races, your palms sweat, you stay planted right where you are and burst into tears when you see them.

Dramatic? yes, but so is the brain of a creative 10 year old. And though nothing happened to this particular kid on the outside, something still happened. He doesn't have the skills to talk himself out of this tree. Why put him in the position to have that anxiety build up?

Not in a million years. It's not that I don't trust my child, it's that I don't trust the hundreds of strangers that will be passing by him or her
While they are sitting there waiting for me. No one wants to think of bad things happening at Disney, but unfortunately they do.
I wouldn't take that chance. Too many crazies in the world today.

I have left our daughters and our granddaughters to wait for us at different times. Your child should be able to walk with you and then, right before the ride, be taken to the exit near a Cast Member. Most 10 year olds should be able to wait; however, if your child is not that mature, it is something you shouldn't do.

I can't believe the people here that are trying to scare people with stories of children being taken at Disney World, but that is just not true.

I have mixed opinions on this as I am a single parent and I travel to Disney with my son DS13 now. The first time we went alone he was 11 and our biggest issue was bathroom breaks he had a cellphone and we met right outside of the bathrooms and went over the plan 90 times and or met at the gift shop where there is CM's. I understand your dilemma. I don't want to be judgemental but it's a family vacation and your spouse should go with you to the parks. If he does not do this, maybe split the ride depending how old the siblings are or you know you own child if he could wait near the ride with a cast member close by like at the end of the ride. Or if one of the siblings are older can stand with the 10 year old and switch off the ride. I do feel Disney is relatively safe my son is very responsible and wouldn't wander off and is aware of his surrounding but he is a little older than 10.

For goodness sake, this is a 10 year old, not a 2 year old. All of my kids have walked to school alone at 10, gone to the store, walked to friends' homes... Have him get in line with you, go through the chicken exit, and join him in 5 minutes. Out of all of the kids who have been to WDW, how many have been abducted?

Heck, I went to WDW ALONE at 10 (took the monorail to MK, tickets in hand). It was so fun! A 10 year old should be capable of being without adult supervision for 5 minutes, especially at a place with park employees everywhere. Give him a cell phone if you are worried you won't find him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter