Would you go to Hawaii w/out kids due to 2 free tix?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
Hi....DH had to go to China for work and he earned a free world-wide ticket and hit mileage for Hawaii, Spain etc on freq miles, so we have 2 tickets. The world-wide expires 3/31 (conveniently B4 spring break) We have NEVER earned tickets B4...DH co. flies them on all diff. airlines so we have a ton of miles, just never earn enough to get the perks:rolleyes: anyway, this is THRILLING to us to have 2 tickets, but I am struggling with using these tix w/out the kids as the chances are slim we will earn more in the near furure. Our first thought as a family was Hawaii as DS has been begging us to see Pearl Harbour for years, and DD has always dreamed of swimming w/dolphins. DH has never been, and I was there as a teen in '79. The thing is, these "free" tix would now cost us an extra 1500 to fly the kids along. Had we not just gone to WDW this past Aug. and dropped double that, I wouldn't mind, but the thought of eating the worldwide ticket is killing me! Any suggestions? DD has her Wash. D.C. trip in Feb, ($750) for 3 days...she knows if she went to Hawaii it would be in place of the D.C. trip. She gets a nice trip either way, so I guess we are looking at the extra air for DS ($750) but still alot of $$$$. Also, I thought that at least 10 days was needed for Hawaii....would 6 be a waste? They would miss 3 days of school.
Any suggestions? DH and I thought about heading off on our own to Spain or U.S. Virgin islands but then we have taken away the chance to get the kids to Hawaii....Also, does anyone know of a site like the DIS about Hawaii?
TIA,
Pam
we shouldn't be going anywhere due to $, so I guess I am "kicking tires" here to see how much financial damage it would do

I would try to take the kids. I know you said you just spent a lot on a disney trip but if you wait to take them later then thats 4 tix you have to buy instead of 2. It sounds like a great opportunity for your family.
We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon 4 years back I did it all myself--no package. We got tix from either cheapseats or cheap tickets .com and they were like $600 each when I was going to have to pay $800+ each. I also located some really reasonable hotel--and nice ones also--for a decent price. I bought The Idiots guide to Hawaii and it had some great money saving info.
If it ends up there is no way to take the kids then yes I do think I would go anyway, its just to hard to pass up Hawaii!!
Good luck.

This sounds like an amazing opportunity. It would be a hard decision to go with or withou the kids. Good luck.

I think I'd take the kids if I were you. :)

Sounds like your kids are old enough to enjoy Hawaii too. It is our second favorite place to go! Which Island would you be thinking of? If you say Oahu only, I would probably discourage it. You really need to do at least one of the outer islands to make it worth the expense and time. Maui, Kauai, and Big Island of Hawaii are my favorites. Oahu (Honolulu/Waikiki) is nothing more than a big city, but had lots of things to do, see and learn from. The REAL Hawaii vacation takes place on the outer islands though. Also, do not try to do it in much less than at least 10 days to 2 weeks.

I am surprised you couldn't find better airfare this far out. We have seen some pretty good airfares to Hawaii right now from our area for that time frame.

I probably would jump at the chance at a trip with just my dh to Hawaii. That's easy for me to say since my only child is all grown up.

Whether you take the kids or have a second honeymoon with just you and your husband, I hope you have a great trip. How neat to earn free flights to Hawaii.

I went without the children and DH last year on a free ticket. My sisters went, and we had a great time. If you can find someone responsible to watch your children (and they are all over 3 or 4), I say go and have a great time. If you visit Oahu, put the Polynesian Cultural Center on your list as a "must see" for a full day. It was amazing.

When I had AA certificates, I paid $50 each to extend them for a year. Is this possible to do?

Good Luck on your decision!

Pam, that's great! So, are your bags packed yet?;) Seriously though, this is a great opportunity. I hope you and your family can go!:D

If you have concerns that your miles will expire before you all can go, call the mileage awards service center. Sometimes all you need to do is to purchase additional miles (with United it is $28) to extend the life of your miles. We have taken our kids to Hawaii twice, the oldest is 25 and the youngest is 15 and they STILL want to go. Who wouldn't? :) We will be going again next summer on free miles. Also be aware that although you have the miles, it may not be so easy to redeem them for the exact dates you want to go. I had to get up at midnight and call the airline exactly 330 days before the date of departure and then wait 16 days and do it again. I am still waitlisted for a couple of the segments in first class for DH and myself. The kids can sit in coach. If you can extend the miles, there is no rush to use them. Wait until everyone can go. There is nothing more meaningful than seeing your kids experience Pearl Harbor, Volcano National Park, Haleakala at sunrise and the Aloha spirit. For more info on Hawaii, check out www.fodors.com. They have a very active travel board. Just follow the prompts.

If you could find someone tow atch tie kids, I'd leave them home for such a short trip. 10 days is really necessary to see Hawaii, also for the time change. Depending on which timezone you live in, Hawaii is 6 hours difference from the East Coast, and it does take 3 - 4 days to get used to it. If you're only going to take that LONG flight for 6 days and then have to get used to that timezone and then come home, I think it would be too much for the kids. Also, since you're worried about $$$ I wanted you to know that food in Hawaii is RIDICLOUSLY expensive, even compared to WDW prices. Breakfasts were $15 - $20 PER PERSON, and lunch and dinner went up from there. I want you to be prepared that the airfare might cost you a lot, but that food and tours will cost a lot as well, much more than any WDW vacation. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and plan on trying to get back in 2005, we're not sure if we're going to bring our kids, but leaning toward not, since it is such a long flight to get there.

Originally posted by jel0511
Also, since you're worried about $$$ I wanted you to know that food in Hawaii is RIDICLOUSLY expensive, even compared to WDW prices. Breakfasts were $15 - $20 PER PERSON, and lunch and dinner went up from there. I want you to be prepared that the airfare might cost you a lot, but that food and tours will cost a lot as well, much more than any WDW vacation. .

I am not sure that I agree with your assessment of the cost of meals in Hawaii. Groceries are certainly more expensive, milk $6, cereal etc, however you can plan ahead. We got a Makai card at Foodland, a Safeway Card, all ahead of time, and when we stayed in a condo we didn't spend much more for food than we do at home. I also took condiments, Crystal Light, etc from home. They also have Costco. As far as eating out, for breakfast we went to Denny's. There are the usual McDonalds, Wendy's and Burger King, same price as at home. There are plate lunches on most of the islands for as little as $5. We found a lot of very good moderately priced restaurants. If one doesn't leave the resort, then yes, food prices are outrageous but a Hawaiian vacation, once you are there, is cheaper than a WDW vacation.

Hind sight is 20/20. I never took trips w/o my kids when they were still at home, and really regret it. Stephen and I have vacationed a lot since they've been grown, and we now know, if we'd taken time w/o the kids, we'd have been much happier. Sure, we had a good marriage, but there's nothing like totally concentrating on your spouse, w/o the kids, to make you appreciate them that much more.

I say, GOOOO! Have fun. Enjoy your spouse. Who knows if you'll ever be able to go again. Your kids can have the opportunity to go to Hawaii on their own (my youngest went with her Aunt for her senior trip, and I've never gone). Don't miss this opportunity to put some pizzazz in your marriage. It will be good for the whole family.

Originally posted by DawnCt
I am not sure that I agree with your assessment of the cost of meals in Hawaii. Groceries are certainly more expensive, milk $6, cereal etc, however you can plan ahead. We got a Makai card at Foodland, a Safeway Card, all ahead of time, and when we stayed in a condo we didn't spend much more for food than we do at home. I also took condiments, Crystal Light, etc from home. They also have Costco. As far as eating out, for breakfast we went to Denny's. There are the usual McDonalds, Wendy's and Burger King, same price as at home. There are plate lunches on most of the islands for as little as $5. We found a lot of very good moderately priced restaurants. If one doesn't leave the resort, then yes, food prices are outrageous but a Hawaiian vacation, once you are there, is cheaper than a WDW vacation.
Well, that was my experience, and this was your experience. I can provide you with receipts if necessary, for you to truly believe that Hawaii CAN be very expensive. You stayed in a condo, where there are MANY money saving opportunies wherever you are, whether it be Hawaii, Caribbean, etc. We did stay at a resort, and we did venture off property and these were the prices we were charged. Now, I usually don't eat breakfast at Denny's, or frequent the fast food restaurants while I'm home, so why should I do it on vacation. Hawaii is very expensive IMO, and will remain that way, if you want to experience it the way I experienced it and plan to experience it again. By going to the nice restaurants, relaxing and enjoying myself. I take offense that you can't believe that we did spend $50 total for just breakfast, because we did, and know many friends who also have gone to Hawaii and spent the same amount of money we did. So, just remember everyone has different experiences and can have different opinions on what they plan on doing.

I've never been to Hawaii so I can't speak of the expense first hand,,however I have a very good hawaiian friend who moved to california after her divorce because she couldn't afford to live in hawaii..she was hawaiian born, .. it was a very painful decision for her if the tickets are tranferable, I could go for you and take lots of pictures...

Originally posted by jel0511
I take offense that you can't believe that we did spend $50 total for just breakfast, because we did, and know many friends who also have gone to Hawaii and spent the same amount of money we did. So, just remember everyone has different experiences and can have different opinions on what they plan on doing.
I CAN believe that you spent $50 on breakfast but the point of my post, is that no one HAS to spend $50 on breakfast. I can spend $50 on breakfast at WDW also, but I don't typically do that. We have been to Hawaii twice with all four of our sons. We have stayed at the Maui Marriott, The Outrigger, Hilton Waikaloa Village, Hanalei Bay Resort, Kanaloa at Kona, so you can see, that I have experienced the "resort" and the "condo". If it is a choice of expensive dining for my DH and I or taking our family of six and eating at more affordable restaurants, I prefer to take my kids. I would just hate for someone not to consider taking their kids because they worry about having to spend $300 for breakfast. An egg is an egg, is an egg....no matter who cooks it.
We will be going to Hawaii again next summer and yes, the boys can walk down to the Whaler's Village on occasion and have lunch at McDonalds.

Jel0511, I really don't think Dawn was implying you were lying about Hawaii being expensive. I didn't read where she said she didn't believe you. She was just trying to point out that Hawaii can be done less expensively if you are so inclined. She was trying to point out the "different experiences" you mentioned.

FINFAN, if I were you I'd go without the kids if you can find a reasonable place to stay. (Easy for me to say - but not to do - since I've turned down free tickets before because of not wanting to go without my kids!) If money is a concern, I'd also recommend doing your own cooking and trying to eat like the locals.

Originally posted by MICKEY88
I've never been to Hawaii so I can't speak of the expense first hand,,however I have a very good hawaiian friend who moved to california after her divorce because she couldn't afford to live in hawaii..she was hawaiian born, .. it was a very painful decision for her if the tickets are tranferable, I could go for you and take lots of pictures...

I do agree that it is more expensive than living on the mainland and there aren't a lot of jobs. Many who do live there often need to work more than one job. I found many of the prices in the grocery stores and gas stations very similar to prices in California, which is more expensive than the east coast. Hawaii is not an "inexpensive" vacation. I would say however than I spend less $$$ per day than a WDW vacation and it is possible to feed your family affordably without breaking the bank. We have been able to stay at nice resorts, taking advantage of military discounts, Entertainment book hotel rates, two for one coupons, etc. There are no theme park admissions to purchase because the views are "free". The admission into Volcano National Park is $10 for the car for the week. The hikes are free. There is no charge to drive up to Haleakala for sunrise. The Hana Hwy is there for the price of the gasoline as are the beaches. Pearl Harbor and the Arizona are a must on Oahu. I can't wait to go back.

Thanx everyone, you guys brought up some really imp. points and things to think about. I am leaning towards taking the kids IF it is Hawaii we choose, simply because it is a place they have been wishing to be able to go to. I just wouldn't get past the guilt of choosing to go someplace they REALLY want to see, and not taking them. I am worried about the time tho...to go over the X-mas holidays is absolutely outrageous, yet that is when the kids have a full 17 days off. They have 2 mini-breaks in Nov and Feb, but we would only be able to have 8 days, and 3 of those would involve missing school. I am going to call and see if the worldwide ticket can be extended for a fee as Disneygals and DawnCt mentioned. That would give us a chance to save a little and plan this out better. If we decide against Hawaii, I am trying to talk DH into going to Sydney for a few days...I would love to hear all about Austrailia! The ww ticket is for coach seating tho, and that is a LONG way to go with little leg room when you're 6'3"!:p I know when I was in Hawaii in "79 I called my folks and said I was staying, there was Univ. of Hawaii...I could go there;) Alas, I needed to get on the return flight:( It was an amazing trip, and I know DH would love it. Kids are 13 and 9, and would appreciate and remember it, I think. Whike I am all for parent only trips, I guess we can do that for a shorter amount of time and be closer to home....plus it would cost over $400 to fly my folks in from Fl to watch the kids(another 150 to board their dog) and still be paying for DD to go to DC...I need to put this on paper, pros/cons. We just found out about the tix yesterday so I am still in the WOW! stage...I'll keep you posted, keep the ideas coming! You guys are thinking clearer than I am right now!

FinFan, I think that it would be almost impossible to use your frequent flyer miles for Hawaii for this Christmas. Prices over Christmas will always be at the highest rate. Because of the school schedule, high school and college, we have to plan our vacations to Hawaii during the summer and never go for less than 16 days. We include three islands when we go also. We are going to Oahu for three days, Maui for 7 but the 5 nights in between were a tough decision for us this time. We loved the North Shore of Kauai but the Big Island is calling us back again so we will go back to the Hilton Waikaloa Village for 5 nights. If the lava is flowing where we can see it, we will go back to Volcano National Park. If you go with the kids, I would definately recommend at least a night in the park. Its like being on another planet. Don't rule out planning a summer vacation in Hawaii. Its always beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter