• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you buy a Wii?

Disneefun

DIS Veteran
Here's the deal: We are 2 adults, no kids with plenty of savings and no debt so this wouldn't be a purchase that puts us in the hole. We've been thinking about getting a Wii now that they are more available but we're torn. I just don't know if we'd find it fun long term or would the novelty wear off and it would just sit there.

We have a PS2 that we enjoy and play with about once a week when we can both sit down and go head to head. We're not serious gamers, not into Halo, Call of Duty, etc. We tend to go for sports games and simple arcade games which seem like the Wii's strength.

I've seen some games for the Wii that look like fun (and the fact that Toy Story Mania is coming in the fall doesn't hurt), but I just wonder if 2 adults with no kids (and no plans for kids) would find this worth the money or would we end up regretting it.

Any of you in a similar situation buy a Wii and love it? Or do you wish you'd spent that money on something else? Thanks for any input.

We just bought a Wii last fall. We have a DD, age 7. She enjoys it. She goes in spurts, will want to play it every day for a couple weeks and then will not even ask about it for over a month. There are lots of great games for her to play. But it's so hilarious, we have an old PS1, and she still asks us to take it out every now and then so she can play Frogger. As a matter of fact, it just came out today - LOL!:rotfl:

Hi. Dh & I bought one before Christmas and played it alot at first. It's great to have during the holidays & when company comes over. We do play about once a month & I keep saying I'm going to get up in the morning and play wii fit.. hasnt happen yet:) I'm still glad we bought it..

Did you know that Sony has actually come out with a motion-sensing device that will go on sale in early 2010? Not sure if that will sway your decision or not, but in about 6 months or so, you'll be able to have the same kind of functionality that a Wii has out of your PS3.

Now, you won't (of course) get games like Mario Cart and the other Nintendo classics, so that throws a wrench into the situation there, because those games are also a big reason people invest in a Wii other than the motion sensing capabilities.

And for those curious, Xbox also will have motion sensing capabilities in the near future as well. Only time will tell if they're as good as the Wii.

I think you'd love it. Me and DH play it more than the kids. That includes things like Mario Kart. Hook it up to WiFi and get some competition going....hours will pass before you know it!

You can go to the nintendo store on the wii (wifi) and buy the old Nintendo classics. I bought Super Mario Bros. (the first one ever) for $5.00.

We love our Wii! It was a family Christmas gift this past Christmas, and has gotten tons of use. Honestly, my df and I love it, maybe more than the kids. We play Mario Kart a lot :lmao:

I would get it if you like video games. The Wii is great for playing games together/competition type games. We have boxed each other, played tennis against each other, raced each other, even played mini golf against each other. It is a lot of fun :thumbsup2

DH and I bought one for Christmas and use it much more than I ever would have thought! We especially enjoy the Ravin Rabbids games, which are goofy, but fun!

Frankly, I think I play a little more than he does. He likes the super duper violent games, which he has for PC, and which I won't get him for the Wii.

I'm 21 and my boyfriend is 26 and we are always playing the Wii! I'm not a serious gamer either, but the Wii is so addicting!

We are both obsessed with Mario Kart. Mario Party is another favorite and is fun to play when we have friends over. We also have Wii Music, which is entertaining but not worth the money.

My boyfriend spent 4000 Wii points downloading the old nintendo and super games. It is a money trap though. We've spent more on games and accessories than on the console itself!
A really cool thing is that you can play Gamecube games on the Wii, which are REALLY cheap to find at used game stores. We just bought Mario DDR with mat for $12 and can use the mat for Wii DDR games. Very economical! :thumbsup2

If you are looking into buying a game system, I'd definitely go for a Wii. My boyfriend plays it more than his Xbox 360!

My husband and I play it, our kids don't yet (the 5 yo a little.) He enjoys a lot of solo games. Together we play Mario Kart (love it) and some of the wii play games like the cow racing one, I like all of those really. We also love the hula hoop one for the wii fit.

We got one the summer they first came out, we bought plenty of games for it including rock band. It losts its charm for our family almost instantly. We traded it for credit at gamestop. Our xbox 360 is used far more by us and eceryone in the neighborhood including girls and adults. IF it broke I would have to go get a new one asap.

I think it sounds like you'd use it -- especially since you already play games together on another system regularly and you like the sort of games that the Wii offers.

My DH loves games and has had one (or several) game consoles ever since I met him. I am not a gamer, but I'm not opposed to playing now and then as long as I don't have to remember 16-button combos to make any moves! I play the Wii with him more than I played any of the other gaming systems. For the most part, the controls are pretty intuitive so there's not a lot of effort required to "learn the controls" for a game.

love it... dh and i use it all the time. We just bought wii active ... which is amazing!

like someone said... a money sucker thou!

my dh (58) and ds (21) don't play at all, i was addicted to guitar hero at first, played everyday, got wii fit a long time ago and if i turn it on tomorrow it is going to tell me that it has been a long time it has seen me LOL. but i do keep saying i'm going to get back on it. the new wore off for me and bought disney ddr when it came out and i hate it, don't like the songs like i thought i would and the mat is sticky tacky feeling. but... if you both enjoy games i think you will love the wii

Here's the deal: We are 2 adults, no kids with plenty of savings and no debt so this wouldn't be a purchase that puts us in the hole. We've been thinking about getting a Wii now that they are more available but we're torn. I just don't know if we'd find it fun long term or would the novelty wear off and it would just sit there.

We have a PS2 that we enjoy and play with about once a week when we can both sit down and go head to head. We're not serious gamers, not into Halo, Call of Duty, etc. We tend to go for sports games and simple arcade games which seem like the Wii's strength.

I've seen some games for the Wii that look like fun (and the fact that Toy Story Mania is coming in the fall doesn't hurt), but I just wonder if 2 adults with no kids (and no plans for kids) would find this worth the money or would we end up regretting it.

Any of you in a similar situation buy a Wii and love it? Or do you wish you'd spent that money on something else? Thanks for any input.

We like Wii for when we have guests, DD loves the Princess Wii game. I just got the Wii Active, which is a work out type of thing for the system. I have been enjoying that. If you do the specific workout incorrectly the system picks it up and shows you how to do it. I also have a 30 day routine. So far I am on day 3...haha.

Thanks, had no idea they were coming out with TSM for the Wii, I am so excited now, Fiance will be too. That was his fav. ride in Disney.

DH and I frequently make the kids go to bed so we can play Wii. I kick his butt at Wii sports. It drives him mad. We are extremely competitive. Maybe that's why we play so much. And I do the Wii fit quite a bit.

the new wore off for me and bought disney ddr when it came out and i hate it, don't like the songs like i thought i would and the mat is sticky tacky feeling. but... if you both enjoy games i think you will love the wii

Off Topic: Play DDR with socks on! I know it says to use bare feet... but I think that is just the legal reason so you won't slip, hit your head on something, die, and slap Nintendo or Koami with a lawsuit. You can also buy generic mats that are padded and made of more fabric material rather than plastic.
Try getting ahold of the Mario Mix DDR made for gamecube. It is the perfect "starter" DDR with a cute little interactive story line.
I've never played Wii fit, but I've lost a lot of weight playing DDR. I bought a PS2 just for ddr. I don't own any games for my ps2 except for every DDR.

Anyway, to OP: you should totally buy a Wii! It is awesome :) Another tip is that you can find cheap Wii remotes on craigslist or at flea markets.

As a plus, Nintendo has a good reputation for quality items. playstations and xboxes mess up a LOT more often. It is also a GOOD thing that Wiis don't play Dvds, because that'll mess up a game console's senor fast. You see gameboys, nintendos, and supers still working from 15+ years ago. I've had several PS2s mess up on me and have many friends who saw the red ring of death on their xboxes/360s.

I at 1st said i would never buy a wii, we have a ps2 no need for it.. but DH and the boys wanted it so they got it for xmas.....

OMG I LOVE THE WII... I think i play it more then anyone LOL. Guitar hero is my favorite and I keep saying I will do wii fit everyday but well so far I do that once in a blue moon, I love it when I do play it, im just lazy with the whole workout thing LOL

Mario cart is my other fav! I think you should get it, its lots of fun, great for parties!

Wii is the best, you can have all the old and the new. If you like the old nintendo games you can have them all to play. The other piece of equipment that I bought was 1 new controller to play Super Mario. Add a charging station for the controllers. Very cheap if you buy at walmart or Fry's.

The bowling is the best. Very fun and addictive. We have had our Wii for almost 2 years and still love it. We don't play everyday but probably a couple of times a month at least.

The old NES games and others cost from about 200 points to 800 points each and you can just buy Wii points on line. At last look I think that I paid about $20 for 4000 points.

The Wii also has a photo album that will let you play with and play with your photos (add color or write on them) you just use SD card to view them on your TV. Very cool if you want to share photos with a group.

I have recently added the Wii Fit (about $80) and I like it, it has some exercises but is mostly for fun. Balancing games and stuff, very intertaining. You do get a workout.

The Wii is very easy and fun to play with. :upsidedow

Love Wii Fit and Wii Active.......DH & I also like Raving Rabbits. We bought it for the kids but we like it more than they do. lol

We're 2 adults with no kids and so are my brother and his wife. He owns one and I own one. We use it everyday whether it's to play games, go fishing with Animal Crossing or do a workout with EA Active. It's great and is the most interactive system I've found. We really work up a sweat playing some of the games. Then we relax and catch bugs or go fishing with Animal Crossing. It's great and I'd recommend it. In addition to the Wii, we have 2 PS2's (we each had one before we got married), an XBox 360 and a Game Cube as well as 2 original DS systems. We love games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter