Would you buy a Wii?

the Wii seems more like a game system for kids, I only briefly looked at the Wii, and focused my attention on the PS3, and X-Box 360 when I was looking around X-mas. THe PS3 is nice but very expensive. I went with the X-box 360, and have been very happy.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and what types of games you play.

good luck.

Did you know that Sony has actually come out with a motion-sensing device that will go on sale in early 2010? Not sure if that will sway your decision or not, but in about 6 months or so, you'll be able to have the same kind of functionality that a Wii has out of your PS3.

Now, you won't (of course) get games like Mario Cart and the other Nintendo classics, so that throws a wrench into the situation there, because those games are also a big reason people invest in a Wii other than the motion sensing capabilities.

And for those curious, Xbox also will have motion sensing capabilities in the near future as well. Only time will tell if they're as good as the Wii.

They said they had a PS2, not a PS3. And it is EXACTLY like the Wii, but in HD format. The 360 doesn't even use a controller. Natal (the 360 motion sensing device) is going to be awesome. I would never buy the PS3 device. It looks like they just threw something together for the keynote speech.

But back to the TCs question. I have one, and I play it every so often. I'm a HUGE gamer. I like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Sports. They all are fun to play with guests. They even have a new Wii Sports game coming out in July IIRC. So, I would try to get one. But maybe buy it used from Gamestop or Craiglist. If you have any question, I would be more than happy to answer them. I know a lot about video games. Just send me a PM.

Did you know that Sony has actually come out with a motion-sensing device that will go on sale in early 2010? Not sure if that will sway your decision or not, but in about 6 months or so, you'll be able to have the same kind of functionality that a Wii has out of your PS3.

The OP has a PS2 -- different animal.

I have both a Wii and a 360, I love them both. We don't have any kids, yet. I love sports games and the wii's motion sensor controllers are awesome. i play them both regularly, can't wait for the toy mania game to come out, me and the wifey will play it, she will win of course ;)

Here's the deal: We are 2 adults, no kids with plenty of savings and no debt so this wouldn't be a purchase that puts us in the hole. We've been thinking about getting a Wii now that they are more available but we're torn. I just don't know if we'd find it fun long term or would the novelty wear off and it would just sit there.

We have a PS2 that we enjoy and play with about once a week when we can both sit down and go head to head. We're not serious gamers, not into Halo, Call of Duty, etc. We tend to go for sports games and simple arcade games which seem like the Wii's strength.

I've seen some games for the Wii that look like fun (and the fact that Toy Story Mania is coming in the fall doesn't hurt), but I just wonder if 2 adults with no kids (and no plans for kids) would find this worth the money or would we end up regretting it.

Any of you in a similar situation buy a Wii and love it? Or do you wish you'd spent that money on something else? Thanks for any input.

We are very similar in circumstance, and we don't regret our Wii purchase! We didn't buy Christmas gifts for each other last yr, since we had a Dec trip to WDW, but then we bought the Wii and Wii Fit with gift money we received from family.

We don't play it all the time, but enjoy it when we do. The sports and games that came bundled with the system and the Fit are loads of active fun, and we also have a Party disk with darts/ skeeball/ pool/ shuffleboard (surprisingly fun!). Recently got the Wall-E game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll probably have to check out the Toy Story Mania too.

And just building the Mii's to represent our family and friends (whether they play with us or just populate the background) was a riot! ;)

So I'd say give it a try. Happy gaming! :goodvibes

I bought it played Zelda then never touched it again. Were more of a PS3 family. My Son likes the simple sports games. DH hates it he's a PS3 man 100%. If you don't have kids the controllers wont be an issue we've gone through about 4 of them. The gyro mechanism keeps breaking and causes the aim to wander. In fact I'm selling my unit at a garage sale this weekend.

DH & I are in our early 30's and have a DD 9mos old...We have a Wii and don't use it. I am actually thinking of selling it on ebay. We had talked about getting one for months around Christmans time and never found one in stock. Then two weeks before Christmas, one morning we are randomly in BestBuy and there are 2 there...a sign. So I buy it. Then 3 days later I stop at gamestop...they have 1 Wii Fit left...I buy it. Well, We have played the Wii maybe a dozen times. The Wii fit is still in the box along with the accessory kit. We never even opened it. We even have a few games that aren't opened.
Bottom line is, I guess if you already play PS3 a lot, you will have the time to play Wii. Don't get me wrong, Wii is great. We just don't have the time to right now. DD just started walking and grabbing for stuff. I am waiting for the day she pulls the Wii down..then we might have to pack it up.

It sounds like you and your DH are similar to myself and my DH. We are early 30s no kids although we really didn't play video games prior to the Wii. My parents got DH a Wii for Christmas last year, and we love it. We don't play it everyday (espeically lately) as we are in the process of moving, but we love to play it when we can. We really like Wii Sports, Outdoor Challenge, and Wii Fit.

Well, two adults with three kids and Wii was a HUGE waste of money for us. We have several games, the Wii fit, yada, yada, and it sits and collects dust most of the time. I have used it for Resident Evil 4 and I am probably the only one who has used it during the past month or two.

I immensely regret not getting the PS3. But at the time, the kids really wanted the Wii;
and although I know some people love it, I don't consider it worth the money spent.

IF you have the money to waste if you don't like it, then give it a shot.

We don't use ours at all. DD is 13 and her friends like it, but they don't play for long. DH and I played it a few times. We have the Wii Fit, arcade type games and Guitar Hero, luckily we didn't buy a lot of games.

I come home from work and play a few games of Wii Tennis while I start dinner and talk to my daughter about her day. DD15 and I use the Wii fit, too. Sometimes DBF and I have mock golf tournaments.

We have Wii, and me and DD (age 17!) are obsessed with Animal Crossing. You might like it, too.

It saps up too much of my time, but it relaxes me.

my dh (58) and ds (21) don't play at all, i was addicted to guitar hero at first, played everyday, got wii fit a long time ago and if i turn it on tomorrow it is going to tell me that it has been a long time it has seen me LOL. but i do keep saying i'm going to get back on it. the new wore off for me and bought disney ddr when it came out and i hate it, don't like the songs like i thought i would and the mat is sticky tacky feeling. but... if you both enjoy games i think you will love the wii

I really want to try the Disney DDR - is it on sale anywhere or at Gamestop yet? I'd prefer not to pay full price if it isnt that great....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter