Would you be upset?

Years ago I went to a doctor that I loved (he up and left CA due to malpractice insurance fees). My daughter developed a severe rash within minutes at school. My sister who has worked in schools for 30 years said it was Fifth's Disease. My doctor admitted he didn't know much but did a prescription. By the time I got home, he called and told me he researched it, changed his diagnosis to fifth's and told me to continue with the prescription he gave.

This seems very strange to me. Fifth's disease got it's name because it is the 5th most common childhood rash. So I find it hard to believe that the doctor had never seen it before. Also, Fifth's disease is a virus, no prescription should be necessary for a healthy child with fifth's disease.

Whoops! This is an old thread! sorry I replied to it. I hope the OP was able to resolve the problem. I'm out.

Your statement that doctors get kickbacks is not true. That is not ethical and also is not legal. Doctors ARE hounded by drug reps and tend to get too much of their "education" from these drug reps, but kickbacks are not something they get.

When I said kickbacks, I didn't necessarily mean of the monetary variety. It's no secret doctors are wooed by drug reps - swag, dinners, sports tickets, concert tickets, golf outings. I had migraines and was on a generic drug that worked well for me. Regardless of this, my doctor switched me to a new brand name drug that was going to be a lot more a month for me so I didn't get "immune" to the previous one I was taking. Incidentally, the new drug I was prescribed was also on the pen I used to sign my receipt at the end of the visit, it was on the magnet the receptionist was using at her desk, etc etc. That drug or drug rep was the flavor of the month. I suspect the more scripts the doctor writes for it, he benefits in some way, shape or form through the drug rep. It is what it is. Medicine is still a business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter