Would you be upset?

I called this morning and asked about a cancellation and they gave me a "sick" slot at 3pm. I waited until 415 to see the doctor, I was pretty frustrated, but she was wonderful when I finally saw her. I finally feel like someone is going to help me! She has me scheduled for an MRI on Wednesday of next week, started me on a preventative med daily ( but said it takes 4 weeks to start working), and gave me a new med called Maxalt for if I get a migraine. She said any headaches like last week I need to go right to the ER and have her paged. She said after the MRI she will see if I need a neurologist.

I feel so much relief just knowing there is hope! :love:

So glad you found a good doctor! The other doctor should have given you the same advice to go to the ER and rule out a Thunderclap headache. Be prepared if you go to the ER with the worst headache of your life they may give you a spinal tap. They are like an epidural and not painful but will induce a headache.

I called this morning and asked about a cancellation and they gave me a "sick" slot at 3pm. I waited until 415 to see the doctor, I was pretty frustrated, but she was wonderful when I finally saw her. I finally feel like someone is going to help me! She has me scheduled for an MRI on Wednesday of next week, started me on a preventative med daily ( but said it takes 4 weeks to start working), and gave me a new med called Maxalt for if I get a migraine. She said any headaches like last week I need to go right to the ER and have her paged. She said after the MRI she will see if I need a neurologist.

I'm glad you got in!! The long wait was worth it, especially since they squeezed you in. I hope the new treatments help!

That's wonderful news!

I'm glad you got into the new doctors office. You have to take an active approach to your healthcare. Doctors make mistakes.

Not to worry you, just to give you something else to look into if the meds don't work, but I also had terrible migraines. I quite literally had a migraine in some form or another every day. It turned out I had a heart defect. After open heart surgery, my headaches (along with only a few other symptoms) have mostly disappeared.

I learned you have to keep questioning doctors. If they ignore you, find a new one. It took me about 15 years of symptoms to get a doctor to finally listen and check it out. Most doctors brushed me off, saying I was too young. I did my own research (I'm a scientist with access to reputable sources), and kept on until one listened. Frustrating.

I hope the meds work out for you. Don't be afraid to speak up!

Winapooh what is wrong with your heart? I'm glad they were able to find it!
Does anyone else take nortiptaline for preventing migraines? Just curious if it gives you nightmares? I took my first dose last night and had a bad night with really scary dreams. It might just be a coincidence so I'm going to try again tonight. I'll be honest, I'm scared for the MRI. Im scared they are going to find something. All the headaches have me worried.

Remember, you are the BOSS in your life and affairs...including medical. If the doctor that you employ is dismissing you, then you should dismiss (i.e., fire) them. Yes, I had to learn this the hard way too. Frankly, I pay good money to my doctor (Ok, my insurance helps too), but I'm the consumer... If my doc isn't going to listen to me, and doesn't understand that I'm in charge....then they deserve to be fired. I get they're busy. So am I. This isn't a matter of being "busy." This is a matter of respect. If a doc wants me to respect them, they'll respect me.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the migraines. My son and I both have them. This last week was a nightmare. Also, google migraine weather forecast. Last week had super high barometric pressures in the Midwest and so many of my friends and family had migraines.

Karen

I have migraine issues. On average I get about 8-10 per month. They've gotten worse over the past couple years. I am 43 so I think some of that is an age/hormone this with some early peri-menopausal stuff.

My ENT referred me to a neurologist about 1.5 years ago. Since then I have tried a couple different anti-seizure meds (Topomax and Zonegren) on a daily basis as a preventative. Neither helped and one of them messed up my eyesight. I had Lasik 8 years ago and had 20/15 vision until starting those meds. Vision quickly switched to 20/50 in my left eye and didn't return after I went off the meds. I had to have another eye surgery in October to restore my 20/20. Since that I am very wary of any migraine meds because so many of them bind to the eye and since they weren't helping anyway why take the risk?

I also have a prescription for Imitrex (Sumtriptan) and Amerge (Naratriptan) for when I have a headache. I can only take one or the other, you can't take them both within 24 hours of each other. I have better luck with Amerge. It seems to be longer lasting and I have less side effects.

I did have an MRI last summer and it was fine.

Glad you have a new doctor! One thing I would add to the advice you've been given is to download an app called iheadache. It is free and you can keep track of date, severity, length of headache. You add the meds you used and you can note other things so you can try and find a pattern. For me I would note anything I ate that could be a migraine trigger, my cycle day so watch for hormonal patterns, add a note for different weather situations, etc. If you can find your triggers you can start to learn to avoid them and it may be easier to treat if you know more clearly what is causing the headaches. For me this is how I figured out the hormonal issues and also NOT to drink red wine! ;)

With the app you can email a report to yourself that you can print and give to your doctor. My neurologist was so excited when I brought that in to her. She'd never heard of the app and she immediately got her phone and downloaded it so she could share with other patients. I take my report in to her each visit and she LOVES it!

Good luck! Migraines can really suck!

You need Botox..

I discussed Botox with my neuro at my appt this past week. She did say insurance generally will not cover it unless you are getting 15+ migraines per month. I am not at that rate thankfully!

My other concern is eye issues with Botox. Since I've had issues with the other meds and it is listed as a side effect for Botox I would be too scared to try it. I am hearing impaired and rely a great deal on lip reading so my eyesight is very, very important!

Does anyone else take nortiptaline for preventing migraines? Just curious if it gives you nightmares? I took my first dose last night and had a bad night with really scary dreams. It might just be a coincidence so I'm going to try again tonight. I'll be honest, I'm scared for the MRI. Im scared they are going to find something. All the headaches have me worried.

A friend of mine was having major migraine issues, almost daily. They did an MRI and CT scan and found major sinus issues. Since her sinuses have cleared up, no more headaches. It's hard not to worry, but try not to until you know what is up for sure.

I haven't read all of the replies but I would for sure get a new primary care physician and get a referral for a neurologist. I also get migraines and see a neurologist, over the counter meds don't help me at all but my prescription med does. Your current doctor is not handling this well and there's no reason for you to be suffering with the headaches needlessly.

Is there no way for you to make an appointment with a neurologist yourself with your insurance? Even as out of network or something?

There's no need to be scared until you have something to be scared about. It is very normal to be nervous before a diagnostic test so it is very natural to be scared.

As for Botox, it was one the few things that did work for my bestie. She looks years younger than me now, too.:cutie:

There's no need to be scared until you have something to be scared about. It is very normal to be nervous before a diagnostic test so it is very natural to be scared.

As for Botox, it was one the few things that did work for my bestie. She looks years younger than me now, too.:cutie:

After that last headach, I'm scared there is something wrong.

Just did my first round of Botox for migraines today, hoping it works! I will not lie IT HURT ALOT 36 injections in face, head and neck. It better work as much as it hurt!

Sorry you are dealing with the migraines. I have never had them, but have had some bad headaches before and they are no fun. I can only imaging how bad the Migraines are. I would definitely consider finding a new Primary Doctor that listens to your needs instead of not paying attention to how you feel and what you are saying. I am no Doctor, but if I was one I would start out with getting you a MRI. You have got to see what is going on in there to determine what method of care to do next. Also, you have to have some sort of pain management that works for you. You cannot go all the time with severe pain which most likely keeps you from doing a lot of your regular daily things in life.

Doctors get kickbacks from the drug companies. Sounds like yours is trying to fix your problem with prescription drugs, which is not always healthy OR the answer. Perhaps she wants to exhaust the drug options (in her best interest) first.

Your statement that doctors get kickbacks is not true. That is not ethical and also is not legal. Doctors ARE hounded by drug reps and tend to get too much of their "education" from these drug reps, but kickbacks are not something they get.

Something I got from reading the OPs comments (granted, have not made it through everything) is that the OP has been calling and expecting a call back from the doc. Unfortunately, that expectation is pretty high. in times past, treating patients over the phone was common place. But the world of healthcare is changing drastically and quickly. Doctors no longer have time to deal with phone call after phone call. Also, telemedicine is not a billable service, so for this reason too, you are not likely to get satisfactory service over the phone. Your best bet to get your doctors undivided attention is to make an appointment. Be efficient with your time while you are there, make sure you lay out the points you want to discuss, but don't expect to be able to discuss multiple issues. The doctor may have 15-20 minutes total to spend with you, this includes listening to you, examining you, documenting the visit, decision making and formulating and documenting a plan. That's a lot in a short time.

I wouldn't necessarily fire the doctor yet, I would recommend making an appointment and discussing the matter there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter