Would YOU be offended if your new neighbors put up a privacy fence?

Janey, I remember reading your story when you originally posted it. Have you experienced any backlash in the way of graffiti, broken fence posts or balls continually hitting your fence?

I can't imagine such a neighbor would "go away" quietly! ;)

He actually DID go away pretty quietly - as I mentioned in one of the last posts of that old thread, he called the town on us, because when he slunk over to our garage, my DH was building bookshelves out there, so he made a complaint that we had an "illegal commercial workshop" set up in our residential neighborhood. However, the town inspector came and looked in and said "we got an anonymous complaint about this but I don't know why. Have a nice day. BTW, nice bookshelves!;)" So that didn't go exactly like our neighbor planned!

We haven't really seen them since. I honestly think it shocked the cr*p out of him that we scrambled a full perimeter board fence so fast after our encounter - we're quite a bit younger than him, so maybe he incorrectly interpreted that as wimpier and poorer with not a lot of options!

Jane

If you were my neighbor, it would be great for you to put a fence up, that way when I put my fence up, I would already have a 1/3 of it completed.

Yes, I would be - but not on the personnal level - I just HATE them. They destroy the look of the land and are so ugly.

BUT, I would defend your right to do it..... Goodluck!

No it would not offend me if my neighbor put up a fence although I would probably mention it in "casual" conversation. When we got our dog, we put up a fence. Told the one neighbor whose land it would be abutting that we were doing it and would put it about 2 feet in our property so as to not have it be right on the line, just in case the property lines as they were surveyed were "off" a little. She had no problem with it. As a matter-of-fact, that fence is about 15 years old now...almost time to put up a new one, but this one will be vinyl.

Our next door neighbors on the other side put up a fence when they got 2 dogs. Told us about it. Didn't faze us.

Eastern%20Cedar%20Privacy%20Fence.jpg

This is the style/kind we will be putting up.

Around here we refer to that style as a "good neighbor" fence. No one gets the "bad side".

Meg you are perfectly fine in completing the fence around your yard. In Livonia, almost all yards are fenced except the few subdivisions that have a home owners association. Very few neighborhoods here have that open park-like feel where everyones kids play. In some neighborhoods, lots of people have pools that require fencing. The fence you have pictured is nicer than what most people put up. You will not be offending anyone.

When we built our home, we definitely wanted a fence but we wanted new construction, specifically a Cape Cod with an open floor plan. We looked up to 30 miles from here and even up to 3 acres in lot size, and still could not put a fence up. The invisible fence might be great to keep your dog in, if they are a more docile breed, but they don't do squat to keep other dogs or animals out. We ended up with a tear down on a big lot to get the home we wanted and a fence. The one side and back already had chain link fencing. We put up another side of chain link and then did a PVC beige vinyl picket fence on the front fence that adjoins the house.

I want to fence our yard. Our house is in between 2 houses with older kids and they constantly run through our back yard. It really annoys me and they are really loud!

So to answer the OP, I would not take offense if my neighbor were to put one up. It is up to each individual home owner to decide what is right for them

Nope, not one bit. When we replaced/installed our last fence, we just made sure to leave a note for the neighbors whose yards would be affected when we tore down old fencing and added new. No one minded, we just wanted to give them a heads up. We have chain link here and I HATE it; my neighbors have 3 dogs who spend the day waiting to catch any movement from our house and bark constantly. Unfortunately we're living in a rental while I finish school, so I can't build the board-on-board privacy fence that I miss from our last home. I firmly believe that good fences make good neighbors. If we're friends, you'll know you're welcome to walk into my yard at any time, and if not, you've got no business trying to peek into my backyard and see what's what.

For years I had a fenced in back yard because we had dogs. All the dogs have since passed away and in 2005 Wilma (the huricane) destroyed what was left of our fence. My neighbor on the one side had to put up a fence since they put in a pool. The neighbor on the other side put up a fence mainly I think to "hide" a non-registered truck and because they have renters. I wasn't offended that either of them put up a fence - what I was offended by was when the neighbor (the one hiding the truck) put a note in my mailbox asking if we would pay them $200 for "our share" of the fence. Of course I didn't pay them a dime - especially since when they put the fence in they used my old fence posts that were on my property (since my old fence was set in from the property line) Some nerve!!

Good luck OP with your fence issue - if I was your neighbor I wouldn't have a problem with you putting up a fence

I didn't read the other replies, but we wouldn't be offended at all. In fact, we'd like it if our neighbors put up a privacy fence.

Absolutely not. I avtually don't understand people who want everyone to be able to see into their backyard all the time. Because we adored the house, we moved into a neighborhood that doesn't allow a full privacy fence and as a result we do pretty much nothin in our backyard. We're just not hang out and chit chat with the neighbor type of people. We got the fence with the most coverage allowed but you can still see the yards on both sides. If I didn't love the house so much it would be reason enough for me to move.

It's just nice to tell your neighbors that you are putting up a fence. you may not talk to them much, but you never know what the future could bring. Sometimes, by putting a fence up, people could feel like you are closed off and they won't approach you to talk or see if you want to come over for a cook out.

If you have kids they could miss out by not being invited over by the other kids.

Good rule is to explain why you are putting up the fence. We did ours because of our dog. i told the neighbors that we needed to keep the dog in and that we made the fence 5' high so we could still chat.

on the other hand if your anti-social and you want to put up a fence, you're not going to care what your neighbors think anyway.

I'm sure there are a mix of people who commented here that fit into one or the other of these catagories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter