Would YOU be offended if your new neighbors put up a privacy fence?

What the heck is privacy fence?? :confused3 :rotfl2:
Eastern%20Cedar%20Privacy%20Fence.jpg

This is the style/kind we will be putting up.

Wow, maybe because I live in S Florida and "niceness: isn't a huge quality in people here but it never would occur to me to be offended and neither would it occur to me that I would offend with a privacy fence. I find them completely acceptable and needed. I had no idea this would be an issue to anyone...

Well, I have planted English Ivy all along the base of the Wall, and I believe that in a year or two it will cover most of the wall (save for the slots where you shoot the arrows, if need be). It will be pleasing to the eye (well, not my neighbor, since the ivy is on my side).

Best keep a careful eye on the ivy, it tends to wander. You may find yourself slapped with a complaint of encroachment.

Best keep a careful eye on the ivy, it tends to wander. You may find yourself slapped with a complaint of encroachment.

I'm sorry, I typed it wrong. It is poison ivy, not English ivy. And, I admit, I planted it next to the wall on my neighbor's side.

Eastern%20Cedar%20Privacy%20Fence.jpg

This is the style/kind we will be putting up.
That seems like a perfectly reasonable, nice fence. (It looks smaller than the stockade fence we have.) I was picturing Fort Knox! :lmao:

(PS I also feel better my DH had never heard of a privacy fence either. It must be one of those regional things.)

Thanks, legalsea.

I'm sorry, I typed it wrong. It is poison ivy, not English ivy. And, I admit, I planted it next to the wall on my neighbor's side.

Well then, hope you have legal counsel on retainer -- or speed dial at the very least. To be safe, you may want to remove your posts regarding this as they can be used against you as evidence of intentional encroachment, deliberate restriction of both access and view, as well as malicious and intentional exposure to toxins.

Oops, so sorry, just realized I have quoted the incriminating details. ;)

Well then, hope you have legal counsel on retainer -- or speed dial at the very least. To be safe, you may want to remove your posts regarding this as they can be used against you as evidence of intentional encroachment, deliberate restriction of both access and view, as well as malicious and intentional exposure to toxins.

Oops, so sorry, just realized I have quoted the incriminating details. ;)

Well, I'm not too worried. It is my mother, after all.............

I wouldn't be offended. Anyone who would be offended is probably the reason you're putting the fence up for in the first place. ;)

No! We are looking a new houses and if we buy a house without an exisiting fence, the first thing we will do is put one up. Not only because of privacy issues, we have 2 dogs.

A fence is actually on the top of our wish list for new house criteria.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable, nice fence. (It looks smaller than the stockade fence we have.) I was picturing Fort Knox! :lmao:

(PS I also feel better my DH had never heard of a privacy fence either. It must be one of those regional things.)

Thanks, legalsea.

Well here in Missouri they treat "privacy fences" like they are the spawn of Satan and most HOA's don't allow them.

We all have fences around here and most every house has dogs. It would be odd to see a house w/o a fence here.

I would still mention it...I wouldn't want our neighbors to put one up because we have nice open yards and it would chop things up. The HOA rule here is that they have to be attached to the houses (so it would actually make my yard "look" bigger). I'm not sure offended would be the right word---but disappointed. However, if you mentioned it to me--at least I'll know you cared enough to consider my feelings. Our neighbors wanted more privacy for their deck (which the previous neighbor never used)....so they put up some fast growing bushes/trees right along the property line reaching just beyond the deck visibility. Thus, they didn't see our yard or deck when they were on their deck, we could see them on their deck---but the yardage still remained open beyond the deck areas.

I would still mention it...I wouldn't want our neighbors to put one up because we have nice open yards and it would chop things up. QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what the sellers told us they and the neighbors thought when we bought their house "we never put up a fence because WE ALL like the open space and don't want to chop up the yards."

That turned out to be code for "the neighbor's kids love playing in your yard because it's bigger/nicer/more interesting.":rolleyes1

Jane

I do have a privacy fence, but it was all ready here when I moved in. However, I would get a fence if it wasn't here and not worry about the neighbors. Nothing against them, if it is what I want and I own the property, it is going up.

I would definetly find out where the properties meet at and take less then that but I wouldn't discuss putting up a fence either.

I do have a privacy fence, but it was all ready here when I moved in. However, I would get a fence if it wasn't here and not worry about the neighbors. Nothing against them, if it is what I want and I own the property, it is going up.

I would definetly find out where the properties meet at and take less then that but I wouldn't discuss putting up a fence either.
Well,they already have a chain link fence up, so it will be 100% on our property no matter where we put it on ours! :yay:

Our neighbor on one side is greatly offended by our privacy fence, but that's OK because one reason (among many others) that we put it up was to slap him in the face.

I'll see if I can dig up my old thread about it and add to this post.

I would say most NORMAL people who have a accurate sense of their own self-importance won't care!

Jane

Found my fence/neighbor horror story!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841740&highlight=gobsmacked

Janey, I remember reading your story when you originally posted it. Have you experienced any backlash in the way of graffiti, broken fence posts or balls continually hitting your fence?

I can't imagine such a neighbor would "go away" quietly! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter