Would I qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a busy dsy yesterday and was not able to read all these responses until now. So let me clarify for some. Im quite mobile at home. I walk two miles a few times a week and ride my bike in good weather. I went hiking (nothing longer than two miles in November). My problem comes when I stand/sit/or lay down for long periods or bending forward or backward. The ECV won't work for me because I do need to get up and down a lot and actually walking short distances followed by sitting for awhile would be best. So I will be pushing the empty wc through the park while we go from place to place. The only thing that concerns me about that is the leaning forward, but I will have my daughter help. Exercise actually loosens up the arthritis in my back as long as its not overly (which I know it will be in the parks, hence the help of the wc). Standing/sitting/laying without movement is where problems get exacerabated. That's why I wondered if my situation would qualify for DAS. I must get ready for church, but I will add more later.

I had a busy dsy yesterday and was not able to read all these responses until now. So let me clarify for some. Im quite mobile at home. I walk two miles a few times a week and ride my bike in good weather. I went hiking (nothing longer than two miles in November). My problem comes when I stand/sit/or lay down for long periods or bending forward or backward. The ECV won't work for me because I do need to get up and down a lot and actually walking short distances followed by sitting for awhile would be best. So I will be pushing the empty wc through the park while we go from place to place. The only thing that concerns me about that is the leaning forward, but I will have my daughter help. Exercise actually loosens up the arthritis in my back as long as its not overly (which I know it will be in the parks, hence the help of the wc). Standing/sitting/laying without movement is where problems get exacerabated. That's why I wondered if my situation would qualify for DAS. I must get ready for church, but I will add more later.

There's not much bending backwards at WDW, LOL! But for the other issues - standing still for a long period of time, how long is 'long'? One minute? 10 minutes? Also, if you can't sit for a long period of time, avoid Ellen's Energy Adventure. You can check the WDW website to see if they have ride times listed so you know which attractions have a long sitting period so you can avoid those.

Hi Scooterbritches.

Just a few quick thoughts for you, after reading all 4 pages... :)

First, if you are going to use a wheelchair at WDW, please remember to bring along a set of bicycle gloves to help protect your hands (or those of the person who pushes you). Regardless of whether you self-propel, or push with the handlebars, your hands can blister and become sore and tired much quicker than you might image at someplace like WDW where it is easy to go 10 miles in a single day.

If you are not used to self-propelling in a wheelchair, it can be (and will be) very tiring, very quickly. WDW has far more hills and ramps (even gentle inclines seem giant when your arms are tired).

If you decide to use a wheelchair, another tip is to pad out the seat with beach towels, or bath towels; not only does this help prevent that uncomfortable sweaty feeling from sitting in a plastic sling, but it also helps keep you comfortable as the day stretches on.

Remember when using any wheeled device to cross the tracks that embedded in Main Street (in the Magic Kingdom) at an angle to prevent the wheels from getting stuck in the tracks. Approach all ramps and hills slowly, regardless of whether traveling uphill or downhill.

Regarding Rollators, some can act as both a walker with a built in seat AND a transfer chair, making them potentially more useful to you. The dual-purpose Rollator will have wheelchair-like handlebars for pushing a seated rider on the "front" that often swing inward and lock when not in use.

I recommend checking with local service agencies, charitable groups and religious organizations (especially the Masons) to see if they have any equipment that you can borrow for the trip. Remember that you may find that airport lines are troublesome as well; We waited for 45 minutes on the way home at MCO just last month (on an early January Wednesday afternoon) to get through TSA screening; the lines are MCO are just stupidly long and slow sometimes. If you are unable to borrow the equipment for any reason, in addition to local thrift stores, check CraigsList to see if you can find low-cost gently used equipment. Needless to say, any used equipment should be cleaned thoroughly prior to your use.

Finally, an option you may want to consider, and that I have not seen mentioned, is a "transfer chair". These are typically quite lightweight, and can fold down to a relatively compact size. They are meant to be pushed by someone - the person sitting in the chair is a rider, and does not self-propel due to the fact that all four wheels are the same (smaller) size. These can often be purchased new for about $100, making them a very economical solution as well. Because the transfer chair is so lightweight, it makes it easy to push when you need to walk, and because it folds down so nicely, it makes it very compact for travel and storage.

As others have mentioned here, any personal mobility device you take on the plane with you will fly at no charge. If you take a wheelchair or Rollator, you may want to take along a couple of Velcro straps to keep it folded in the cargo hold of the plane; this helps prevent damage to your device, as well as to the other devices and strollers that may be flying along in that hold.

I understand your distress; I was 51 the first time I had to rent an ECV at WDW. It nearly killed me to do it, but it made our day so much easier - suddenly, I could move at the same pace as everyone else, instead of holding up my family while I struggled along bench-to-bench. I had to accept that my ECV is a tool that I use to accomplish a task, and nothing more. Just like I need a calculator to do math (because I *suck* at math LOL) I need an ECV to cover longer distances because my legs suck at walking. My particular needs are met by using an ECV, but you alone know what device or solution makes the most sense for you. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter! :)

Hi Scooterbritches.

Just a few quick thoughts for you, after reading all 4 pages... :)

First, if you are going to use a wheelchair at WDW, please remember to bring along a set of bicycle gloves to help protect your hands (or those of the person who pushes you). Regardless of whether you self-propel, or push with the handlebars, your hands can blister and become sore and tired much quicker than you might image at someplace like WDW where it is easy to go 10 miles in a single day.

If you are not used to self-propelling in a wheelchair, it can be (and will be) very tiring, very quickly. WDW has far more hills and ramps (even gentle inclines seem giant when your arms are tired).

If you decide to use a wheelchair, another tip is to pad out the seat with beach towels, or bath towels; not only does this help prevent that uncomfortable sweaty feeling from sitting in a plastic sling, but it also helps keep you comfortable as the day stretches on.

Remember when using any wheeled device to cross the tracks that embedded in Main Street (in the Magic Kingdom) at an angle to prevent the wheels from getting stuck in the tracks. Approach all ramps and hills slowly, regardless of whether traveling uphill or downhill.

Regarding Rollators, some can act as both a walker with a built in seat AND a transfer chair, making them potentially more useful to you. The dual-purpose Rollator will have wheelchair-like handlebars for pushing a seated rider on the "front" that often swing inward and lock when not in use.

I recommend checking with local service agencies, charitable groups and religious organizations (especially the Masons) to see if they have any equipment that you can borrow for the trip. Remember that you may find that airport lines are troublesome as well; We waited for 45 minutes on the way home at MCO just last month (on an early January Wednesday afternoon) to get through TSA screening; the lines are MCO are just stupidly long and slow sometimes. If you are unable to borrow the equipment for any reason, in addition to local thrift stores, check CraigsList to see if you can find low-cost gently used equipment. Needless to say, any used equipment should be cleaned thoroughly prior to your use.

Finally, an option you may want to consider, and that I have not seen mentioned, is a "transfer chair". These are typically quite lightweight, and can fold down to a relatively compact size. They are meant to be pushed by someone - the person sitting in the chair is a rider, and does not self-propel due to the fact that all four wheels are the same (smaller) size. These can often be purchased new for about $100, making them a very economical solution as well. Because the transfer chair is so lightweight, it makes it easy to push when you need to walk, and because it folds down so nicely, it makes it very compact for travel and storage.

As others have mentioned here, any personal mobility device you take on the plane with you will fly at no charge. If you take a wheelchair or Rollator, you may want to take along a couple of Velcro straps to keep it folded in the cargo hold of the plane; this helps prevent damage to your device, as well as to the other devices and strollers that may be flying along in that hold.

I understand your distress; I was 51 the first time I had to rent an ECV at WDW. It nearly killed me to do it, but it made our day so much easier - suddenly, I could move at the same pace as everyone else, instead of holding up my family while I struggled along bench-to-bench. I had to accept that my ECV is a tool that I use to accomplish a task, and nothing more. Just like I need a calculator to do math (because I *suck* at math LOL) I need an ECV to cover longer distances because my legs suck at walking. My particular needs are met by using an ECV, but you alone know what device or solution makes the most sense for you. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter! :)
Thanks for all your tips! I appreciate the time that you've taken to write them up. I'm sure I'll have a great time!

Many people walk 2 miles regularly but cannot handle the level of activity of a day at Disney. I often walk 2 or miles going back and forth at work. It's not the same as walking around a theme park. I plan differently for those activities and some people may need a mobility aid for one and not the other. You can ask your wheelchair rental company if they have handle extensions which should help with pushing the wheelchair. But many people of different heights push them with and without people in them without having to bend over. As you said in another thread,my ou want a DAS to shorten your days. You do not need a DAS to shorten your days. If you choose to use a wheelchair or not, you can still shorten your days without a DAS. You may want to also bring food with you, so that you can walk around and eat it without having to stand in line at CS or sit while ordering and eating at TS. In my experience the wait for food is often longer than the wait for attractions. At CS you will undoubtedly stand in one place longer while ordering than you would while waiting for the next ride vehicle to load.

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts, tips, and suggestions. At first I wasn't sure how this was going to work, but I am feeling much better. There will be extra pain and stiffness no matter what I do, but then I got to thinking about the other recent trips i've taken and I realized i'm going to be fine. It will be nice to have that wc to rely on when I need it. Standing causes me the most issues so I'm glad for it in long lines. I was also a bit concerned that other people would see me pushing an empty chair and think I didn't need it or something. After sitting for awhile, I get really stiff and the best thing to do is to walk it off, so after I've waited in a line and ridden a ride, I will need to walk. I need to quit worrying what other people who don't have the facts think.

Last edited:
you need a WC all though not all the time but for some of the time so since that is what you need who care what other people think and if someone says some thing to you just can a little snappy come back I have a friend that is like you she needs a wheel chair some of the time when someone said some thing to her she just said some disabilities are invisible but you stupidity is starting to show she said the last part under her breath and a few guest heard it and we were all laughing so hard and my friend goes to disney more then I do she lives about an hour a way and she said that was the first time any one said or even gave her a dirty look at disney because of the wheel chair most of the time people are very nice to her.

If you only need a rollator or wheel chair just for this trip, if you happen to belong to a church or the like they may have one to borrow.

I have been thinking of you and that you said you do not know if you could be in the parks all day and that you want to hurry and do as much as you can one thing you can do ( and if you have park hopper option and was going to park hop any ways this can save you a lot of time) is do a DVC tour and not you do not have to get one they will pick you up where ever ( as long as you are on disney property) it takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours it is inside you get free ice-cream at the end and then they drop you off where ever you want so you can have them pick you up at MK and drop you off at EPCOT and you get 3 extra FP after the tour. that you can use any time over the next 3 days. this could give you a nice after noon break so you could rest some and it really was fun got to see some mock up of some DVC and the guide was very nice.

I have been thinking of you and that you said you do not know if you could be in the parks all day and that you want to hurry and do as much as you can one thing you can do ( and if you have park hopper option and was going to park hop any ways this can save you a lot of time) is do a DVC tour and not you do not have to get one they will pick you up where ever ( as long as you are on disney property) it takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours it is inside you get free ice-cream at the end and then they drop you off where ever you want so you can have them pick you up at MK and drop you off at EPCOT and you get 3 extra FP after the tour. that you can use any time over the next 3 days. this could give you a nice after noon break so you could rest some and it really was fun got to see some mock up of some DVC and the guide was very nice.
you should not count on getting 3 extra Fastpasses because they are not always given.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not staying on site nor do I have a park hopper ticket. Sounds fun, though!

If you only need a rollator or wheel chair just for this trip, if you happen to belong to a church or the like they may have one to borrow.
Just today I was at my dad's. He is 89 and doesn't go out much. I was telling him about renting a wheelchair and he goes into the other room and brings out a rollator that he's recently bought. He says I can use it for the trip! He uses a cane and of course, I knew that I just didn't know he had recently bought a rollator! So I'm set and he just saved me $50!

I wasn't able to get one for my 81 year old mother who has a heart condition and was having trouble with the heat and walking. She had to get a wheelchair. Even though she had issues being in long lines in the heat...still no.

Just wanted to add that I totally understand how you ar feeling. I'm 50 and recently started having severe back and hip issues. I've been concerned about keeping up on my upcoming trip. It's tough to admit when we need some help. I hope you have a wonderful trip and use whatever you need to make it easier for you to manage the parks.

you do not need to be staying in sit or have park hopper option to do the tour but it sounds like you have a roller that you got for free that you are going to be using so yah what a bonus.

I think you are going at a great time a year the week after easter all though it can be busy I do not think you will have the crowds that the easter weekend has and also the weather should be good all thought the weather has been warmer then normal down here. I would bring something to cover your roller with for if/when it rains so like a big garbage bag since you will have to use it as a seat

I wasn't able to get one for my 81 year old mother who has a heart condition and was having trouble with the heat and walking. She had to get a wheelchair. Even though she had issues being in long lines in the heat...still no.

Just wanted to add that I totally understand how you ar feeling. I'm 50 and recently started having severe back and hip issues. I've been concerned about keeping up on my upcoming trip. It's tough to admit when we need some help. I hope you have a wonderful trip and use whatever you need to make it easier for you to manage the parks.

I can actually see why this was denied. In my experience the lines are cooler (inside and air-conditioned) then most of the "other" places you might wait (a park bench for example) Walking in heat would be an issue between rides more then in lines as I can think of very few lines that are actually outside.

One thing to remember is if you want to walk for a while you can "Park" your wheelchair or rollator in any stroller parking area. I would advise putting some bright ribbon or something to make it easier to spot yours (CMs will move things around to keep them neat and help others get their devices)

My mom went after her knee surgery and she also was the same way, she can't sit too long or her knee locks up and she can't move but she can't walk all day either. So she rented a wheelchair and just would park it when we knew we would stay in an area for a while. This also works better the more people are in your group since you have others that can push the chair or even if they are really tired ride for a bit if you want to walk.

A rollator is your answer. You can sit when you need to & stand when you want to.

CVS, Walgreen's, Target, & WalMart sell rollators. I have taught children using rollators - there is no age qualification. It is simply a device to help you when you cannot stand for long periods.

At Disney World I use a rollator or an ECV to get me through. I have never had any issues with either one.

Just today I was at my dad's. He is 89 and doesn't go out much. I was telling him about renting a wheelchair and he goes into the other room and brings out a rollator that he's recently bought. He says I can use it for the trip! He uses a cane and of course, I knew that I just didn't know he had recently bought a rollator! So I'm set and he just saved me $50!

Isn't that wonderful!! The Lord does provide :-)

Although it's an adjustment, I find that a positive attitude is key. By the time I decided I needed help at Disney, my knees were completely shot and visits became a question of sheer endurance. What I discovered was that using the assistance device gave me back the joy I had lost in visiting. It's been 10 years and I now have a pair of bionic knees but still use the ECV at Disney. I park it and walk more than I did in the past but certainly appreciate the help that it continues to provide.

Keep that positive attitude and you will have a fabulous trip!

Scooterbritches:

I have a similar problem: sciatica and arthritis in my hips and back. The problem isn't walking--regular walking is actually really therapeutic. It's standing or sitting still for any length of time . Basically, a wheelchair or ECV is out because if I'm in it too long, I lose the ability to walk AT ALL for the day--a risk I cannot run while travelling. Pushing a wheelchair would also exacerbate the problem because I'd be hunched over rather than walking upright. "Mobility issue" is a bit to broad a term for everyone who cannot stand in a line, and "wheelchair" isn't a solution for everyone they put under that broad term. :( Seems like they are doing a good job at trying to tailor accomodations for many people...having a kneejerk reaction to this one seems a bit odd.

Scooterbritches:

I have a similar problem: sciatica and arthritis in my hips and back. The problem isn't walking--regular walking is actually really therapeutic. It's standing or sitting still for any length of time . Basically, a wheelchair or ECV is out because if I'm in it too long, I lose the ability to walk AT ALL for the day--a risk I cannot run while travelling. Pushing a wheelchair would also exacerbate the problem because I'd be hunched over rather than walking upright. "Mobility issue" is a bit to broad a term for everyone who cannot stand in a line, and "wheelchair" isn't a solution for everyone they put under that broad term. :( Seems like they are doing a good job at trying to tailor accomodations for many people...having a kneejerk reaction to this one seems a bit odd.

There are ways to raise the handles of a wheelchair so one does not get hunched over pushing it. There are extenders, etc. There's no rule stating one has to stay in the wheelchair for any length of time. It's just there when needed, especially at WDW where there is very little open seating around the parks, and none in line. Also, even using the FP+ queue, etc, there are other times where there is a lot of standing still, or where one would need to have a little space maintained to pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter