• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Would I qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of checking on a rollator rental, but the problem I'm having (and haven't had a chance to research it yet) is that we are staying off Disney property and we have to leave the hotel at 4:00 a.m. for our flight home. I need to call the hotel and see if they are willing to hold the rollator until the company can come and pick it up in the morning. I need the rollator the night before because that is when we are planning on Wishes and the Parade so I can't have them pick it up the night before either.

Based on other posts I'm not going with the cane chair as I don't need it for a cane, I need it for a chair and that is against Disney's rules.

I've wrapped my brain around the wc and my DD and I will have a glorious time taking turns pushing each other in it.

I know you will have a great time with your daughter wether you get a roller or a wheel chair and I am sure you will find someone to deliver what every you need and pick it back up ( there has to be someone that has had to leave at some very early morning time)

one thing to remember is that we can tell you what rides we have been given a return time for and then someone will say they never have gotten one for that ride. Somethings just depend on the day or the time. I so wish disney would fix this as there really is a lot of inconsistency ( I go a lot and it changes trip to trip)

I know you will have a great time with your daughter wether you get a roller or a wheel chair and I am sure you will find someone to deliver what every you need and pick it back up ( there has to be someone that has had to leave at some very early morning time)

one thing to remember is that we can tell you what rides we have been given a return time for and then someone will say they never have gotten one for that ride. Somethings just depend on the day or the time. I so wish disney would fix this as there really is a lot of inconsistency ( I go a lot and it changes trip to trip)
As if the life of a disabled person isn't unpredictable enough!!!!!

But they really can't 'fix' it, as it sometimes depends on the number of people waiting at a particular time, so there's no set rule they could have that would be available for the guests to know ahead of time.

But they really can't 'fix' it, as it sometimes depends on the number of people waiting at a particular time, so there's no set rule they could have that would be available for the guests to know ahead of time.
I am talking about the rides that the lines are not assessable so if the wait is 10 minutes or less the guest will go to the wheel chair entrance/ or exit for some rides and if the line is more then 10 minutes then they will get a return time a PP said that they were not given a return time for some rides just told to wait. just like some times you will wait 10 minutes in the FP lines other times it can be 20+ minutes some times the stand by line goes a lot faster then posted or slower in most of my cases. but I do think there can be some more consistency I am not saying that the pixie dust given out is bad at all ( some how CM know when I need it, even when I do not know I need it until after the fact) but all in all disney dose a great job of helping guest with all abilities and that is why I do not do any major vacation from disney

Thanks for trying to help me everyone. I don't know who on here is disabled or not, but the FIRST time you have to give up your independence and feel like you are a burden to others is hard. So many things going through my mind like "Oh great, I get to wear out my daughter and have her push me everywhere." or "If I were to buy a rollator what do I need to do to get it on the plane (will it cost me extra?) or "I'm already on an extreme budget, now I get to have the extra expense of renting a wc or rollator." I'm sure to some, it seems like I'm being a pain and not being open to any suggestions, but please be patient as I deal with this FIRST time I might have to let go of my pride and use a wc. It's not the easiest thing to do! I want to have control and take responsibility for my own health issues and not have to affect others so much. Plus, because my options take away my control, it's a little maddening too. But, I am appreciative of the information and suggestions. I would not have known that portable chairs were not allowed if I hadn't have had this conversation and it would have been a disappointing surprise to find that out in the parks.

We are spending two days at Universal and two days at Disney so by the time we get to Disney, I might very well need that wc. I just need to wrap my brain around it that I'm only 52 and having to use these things!

I completely understand where you're coming from- my husband gets infusions for Crohn's and can just ache. And gets frustrated with the things he knows he used to be able to do a year ago he just can't now due to the treatments.

Just an FYI, either Universal park is a lot of walking compounded by the fact that if you're not in their two flagship hotels there's additional walking. Castaway Cay guests get bus service, which I've heard is a hike to the park entrance, and all offsite guests are funneled through Citywalk BEFORE the park. If you're off site for Universal, and can afford it, spring for the valet parking. It's double the normal rate but it halves the walking- instead of going through the massive parking garage THEN Citywalk, you just get your car right outside the mini golf at Citywalk.

We got our annual passes a couple of weekends ago- the first day parking wasn't included (not activated) and even with the handicapped parking it was a huge hike just to the gates of Universal. Husband compared it to going straight through Epcot- monorail ramp to Japan straight. And there is even less seating in Universal.
:flower3:

That is true.
The return times given to guests using mobility devices are a crowd/access control measure. Sometimes they need them and give them out. Other times they font use them because they are not needed.
I am talking about the rides that the lines are not assessable so if the wait is 10 minutes or less the guest will go to the wheel chair entrance/ or exit for some rides and if the line is more then 10 minutes then they will get a return time a PP said that they were not given a return time for some rides just told to wait. just like some times you will wait 10 minutes in the FP lines other times it can be 20+ minutes some times the stand by line goes a lot faster then posted or slower in most of my cases. but I do think there can be some more consistency I am not saying that the pixie dust given out is bad at all ( some how CM know when I need it, even when I do not know I need it until after the fact) but all in all disney dose a great job of helping guest with all abilities and that is why I do not do any major vacation from disney
If you are talking about Disneyland, there are quite a few attractions which don't have accessible lines and use separate entrances.

Talking about WDW, there are a handful - Big Thunder Mountain RR and Jungle Cruise at MK and Spaceship Earth at Epcot.
There are a few that have an accessible boarding area, but for those, guests wait in the regular line (or Fastpass line if they have Fastpass Plus) until almost at the boarding area, then they move out.

Small World is kind of a hybrid attraction. The regular line is accessible to the last turn on the front side. Guests without Fastpass Plus wait in the regular line until they get to that point. Since the Fastpass line for SW is not accessible, guests with Fastpass go directly to the accessible boarding area.

That is true.
The return times given to guests using mobility devices are a crowd/access control measure. Sometimes they need them and give them out. Other times they font use them because they are not needed.

If you are talking about Disneyland, there are quite a few attractions which don't have accessible lines and use separate entrances.

Talking about WDW, there are a handful - Big Thunder Mountain RR and Jungle Cruise at MK and Spaceship Earth at Epcot.
There are a few that have an accessible boarding area, but for those, guests wait in the regular line (or Fastpass line if they have Fastpass Plus) until almost at the boarding area, then they move out.

Small World is kind of a hybrid attraction. The regular line is accessible to the last turn on the front side. Guests without Fastpass Plus wait in the regular line until they get to that point. Since the Fastpass line for SW is not accessible, guests with Fastpass go directly to the accessible boarding area.
I am 100% I am getting where you are coming from and you are not getting where I am coming from because this is making no since ( and I have a hard time typing what I want to say get things to come out the way I want then to) so I will leave it at that but I am talking about disney world never been to land ( I did have the chance one time and I am kicking my self for not going 13- 15 years latter)

I was in this situation when we went at Christmas. Never had to depend on anyone before, but suddenly because of illness I did not have the stamina to go a whole day at Disney. Up until the very last minute, I had convinced myself that I could do it and I couldn't. I rented a WC from Disney. I am not sure if I would have liked a rollator, as they just don't look that comfortable to sit in.

I pushed the chair around myself for most of the day, and used it as my seat when I needed a break. I also knew that I would need an afternoon nap (yes just like a small child) and it was comfortable to sit in and catch a few zzzzs.

Never needed a DAS, as I just used fastpasses.

Right now I could go and not need a chair, but my illness is chronic and I never know when I may need one again.

From what I read, it looks like you're leaning towards the wheelchair. Try to think of the perks! You can hook a backpack on the back and not have to carry it. I know it's hard to give up your independence, but I really think it leads to a better vacation. :)

Maybe I missed it but why a WC and not an ECV. My mom uses an ECV in the parks and it works great. I cannot imagine having to push her all day in a WC. She wouldn't even ask. If she did I would have to say sorry it's an ECV or nothing. That's a lot to ask if someone who will already be doing a lot of walking while then having to push you around all day.

Maybe I missed it but why a WC and not an ECV. My mom uses an ECV in the parks and it works great. I cannot imagine having to push her all day in a WC. She wouldn't even ask. If she did I would have to say sorry it's an ECV or nothing. That's a lot to ask if someone who will already be doing a lot of walking while then having to push you around all day.

I don't want to speak for the OP but an ECV seems it would not be the best option because they need to be able to switch from sitting to standing at different intervals. So say they are in a long queue line with an ECV, if the OP needed to switch to standing they are then stuck having someone either drive the ECV or putting it in manual mode and pushing it. With a wheelchair the OP could push the wheelchair when they want to stand and even use it as support or a place to lean.

I have to agree.

I use an ECV.

And my husband is pretty strong and doesn't tire easily. But I couldn't ask him to push me around the park.

I don't want to speak for the OP but an ECV seems it would not be the best option because they need to be able to switch from sitting to standing at different intervals. So say they are in a long queue line with an ECV, if the OP needed to switch to standing they are then stuck having someone either drive the ECV or putting it in manual mode and pushing it. With a wheelchair the OP could push the wheelchair when they want to stand and even use it as support or a place to lean.
from reading with the OP has said I think you are right and an ECV would not work it sounds like the OP need to walk sit stand and change what they do about every 30 minutes and a wheel chair will allow this they could walk ( if they need to slowly ) to an attraction get in line and then when they need to sit and push them selfs slowly in line and then they would have the WC to push when needed and it sounds like the OP is good for the first few hours any ways and is planing on leaving the WC is the stroller parking area until they start to need it.

in this case, it appears the OP only needs the wheelchair at certain times, and she can (and needs to) walk or stand at other times. This might preclude use of an ECV unless she decides she wants to stay in the ECV all the time. so she's not talking about having someone else push her around "all day," and it is difficult to bring an ECV along while you are walking.

My mom uses the Ecv to get to different sections of the park then parks it and goes on different attractions. She has one good knee and one bad one so she likes to keep them moving and not sitting all day. I just think a WC is ok if the OP can move herself in it. It's a huge burden to ask someone to push you through the parks. I am mid 50s with my oldest 32. There is no way I'd have her push me around. It just wouldn't be fair to her.

I do not think you have read what the op needs are if she had an ECV what would she do in a line that was an hour since she has to sit stand walk every change about every 30 minutes she can walk and push am ECV she can't leave it behind for a line over 30 minutes ( she did say mornings she is fine ) it should like the op just needs it half the day and even then only half the time I do not think the op daughter is going to be pushing her a lot maybe a few minutes here and there

Maybe I missed it but why a WC and not an ECV. ...

The OP's needs apparently are different from yours or your mother's. She doesn't have difficulty with walking except after sitting for a period of time. Her needs are related to standing still and sitting. She needs to be able to change position frequently. Using an ECV would exacerbate those conditions -- sitting on the ECV for the amount of time to move from one area of a park to another, walking queues that are slow moving or stopped for any length of time. She is capable of pushing the wheelchair around the parks most of the time, and using it to sit occasionally in line.

Let's not be judgmental towards someone making plans to use the tool that will most help her situation.

You sound like you are talking about the DAS here, and what the OP is talking about is access in a wheelchair. As Sue mentioned, there are only a handful of attractions that you don't go in the standby queue (or FP+ queue if you have FP+) and at those 3 attractions, there could be a backup at a certain time, or no one there at all, or no CM to help at that moment, etc. There's no way to make it uniform, as the needs fluctuate all the time.

OP, I understand that you do not want to use a mobility device. How are you at walking 5-6 miles a day, waiting in a queue for a tram, a bus, a counter service queue for food, a show that lasts 15 minutes, waiting in a holding area for a show to empty and reload etc? These are situations that will occur with or without a DAS, and there's no guarantee that there will be seating nearby, or how long you will have to wait. Walking/waiting in a ride queue is just a fraction of what a day at WDW entails.

Last edited:
Actually lanejudy I wasn't being judgemental. That is why I said maybe I missed why the op wanted a WC and not an ECV. I was simply relaying MY experiences in the parks with someone using an ECV. I commented that asking someone to push me around in the parks can be difficult and I wouldn't want to put that on anyone. Again my opinion.

I am in the process of checking on a rollator rental, but the problem I'm having (and haven't had a chance to research it yet) is that we are staying off Disney property and we have to leave the hotel at 4:00 a.m. for our flight home. I need to call the hotel and see if they are willing to hold the rollator until the company can come and pick it up in the morning. I need the rollator the night before because that is when we are planning on Wishes and the Parade so I can't have them pick it up the night before either.

Based on other posts I'm not going with the cane chair as I don't need it for a cane, I need it for a chair and that is against Disney's rules.

I've wrapped my brain around the wc and my DD and I will have a glorious time taking turns pushing each other in it.

Have you thought about checking out local thrift stores? One of our local stores had a half dozen rollators for $25 each a few months ago. Cheaper than renting, and you'll have it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter