WORST DISNEY DINING EXPERIENCE

Coral Reef. DH and I loved this place and it was a "must do" for every trip. Then we had a very bad dining experience. We were seated nearly an hour after our ADR time. Our waiter was inattentive, almost to the point of being dismissive. The food was not at the level of previous trips. Just very disappointing all around. We have not been since (2010) and DH has expressed a desire to never go back.

Worst food, Tony's Town Square. I can't really think off-hand of any terrible service we received though.

I hate to see so many bad experiences at Whispering Canyon. It's honestly one of my favorites! However, I do have a bad experience to share from there. We had a waitress who was very rude. I ordered the all-you-can-eat skillet, but didn't plan to finish it. One person joined our four person table about 45 minutes in and just wanted a milkshake. I offered that she could finish my food since I couldn't, but the waitress emphasized that this skillet is "per person". Okay. Well she had previously offered me a box. However, once we asked for an extra plate and she said no, she took my plate away without asking! The whole point of this all-you-can-eat skillet is that the waitress is supposed to ask if you want more of anything... I had to ask for more cornbread on my own. She was very rude.

Also, Ohana breakfast. It's expensive and its, again, all you can eat. It took so long to even get our drinks. Once we got our food, I knew it wouldn't be enough (it wasn't) but we didn't want to wait around another half hour for food. Very disappointed with the service.

I was so disappointed in 50's Prime Time.
We arrived 30 minutes early for ADR and waited TWO HOURS to be seated. It was a rainy night so the waiting room was overpacked and people fought over where they could sit. Was told once we sat down that they had allowed too many walk ins during the earlier storm and those people just took too long to leave...
Our server was BORING and MIA most of the time. We were just two adults and all I can guess is since we didn't have children with us, she didn't think we deserved to have fun. Because the table with two children near us got the whole treatment.
All that being said, I could have been ok if the food was any good. But, chicken was so dry I couldn't eat it, mashed potatoes were cold, veggies were just mushy. BF ordered a milkshake and it was mostly melted and liquid when it arrived.

Will never go back.

Fortunately I've never had any truly terrible dining experiences like food poisoning, etc. My concern is a growing trend toward a studied rudeness at the podium. It appears that it is part of the "training" and is most undisney-esque. I've run into this at Epcot's Coral Reef and Les Chefs de France. I've heard countless stories about it at Le Cellier. Usually, its a young 21 yr old at the check-in podium who plasters a scowl across her/his face as you approach. In some cases, its comical. Last Fall, I encountered a young 20-something at Les Chefs' podium who scowled, glowered and then growled at me in her lovely french accent, "don't pass without a reservation!" I assured her I indeed had a reservation but given it was 4:45pm and they barely had any guests (I just had to glance in the window), this was over the top. I started to laugh and the more I laughed, the more agitated she became. Park restaurants just ain't all that to require a dragon at the gate. Particularly, a fresh faced baby dragon. Les Chefs has tasty food, but its not as if the barbarians are breaking down the door to grab the profiteroles. Coral Reef . . . even less. My food was good but they just don't have consistently great food and service to ever justify the attitude. We can blame many things: the college program, higher attendance rates and a so what corporate attitude for repeat guests, change in generational attitudes toward service, etc. In the end, especially for those of us who are "of a certain age" and remember when Disney used to mean great service, smiles and welcoming American warmth, its sad. And whoever is teaching or encouraging this behaviour, isn't doing those kids any favour. At some point, they will pull this at another restaurant, whether in their home country or in North America, and they will lose their job. Fast. If you eat at enough Disney restaurants, you will experience highs and lows in food quality and service. Its the bigger trends that worry me.

A lot of the places people have said were the worst-- Chef Mickey's, Tony's, WCC-- we've actually had no problem with? Likely because we expected the worst and ended up pleasantly surprised?

We've had a few less-than-stellar meals. Flying Fish I expected a lot and was let down, Coral Reef was terrible-- basically anywhere I get the fish. Disney doesn't do fish well, I think. We try to make it a point to get to a meal early and on off-times so it's not too crowded or dirty and the staff isn't harried-- that makes a big difference. Once we could only get reservations for Garden Grill later in the evening and that was a terrible experience because it was crowded and dirty. So many things go into making a good dining experience-- at least a few of the things, you have a little bit of control over.

Hollywood and Vine. We went last night and as soon as we walked in my wife and I looked at each other like we should leave. Dirty. Old. Food smelled weird all the way from the table. Place should be remodeled. Nasty old booths. Uncomfortable metal chairs. Food was horrible for a 4 person $140 dinner. Don't get me wrong I'll pay the money if the food and atmosphere is good. Chocolate fountain was okay but guy dipping food was rude. First Disney restaurant in 15 years I went to guest relations to complain about.

When I think "Worst Dining Experience", I don't even really think too much about the food - all of my worst experiences were because of poor service or kitchen management. I expect there will be some meals we like and some we don't, but a hardworking, enthusiastic server or a manager on top of their game can make even a subpar meal enjoyable. Unfortunately, the converse is also true. My worst experience out of about 100 ADRs in the last 10 years was at California Grill in 2011. It was my 40th birthday dinner and I was there with my sisters and brothers in law - a table of 6. We went down during Food & Wine for a 5 day "adults only" trip, and wanted California Grill to be the crown jewel. They were very busy that Friday night, which is to be expected, but we were all in a good mood. We had been at Epcot all afternoon, so we were predisposed to having fun when we arrived. My sister even road the elevator up with Jon Schenider from The Dukes of Hazzard (who was there for his charity, Children's Miracle Network's, big weekend) - so we already had a funny story to share on Facebook before dinner, with all of friends asking important questions like "Did he drive there in the General Lee?".

We were seated in a section with a waitress who was clearly terrible at her job. Our waitress was a very heavy lady who had absolutely no personality, and was clearly having a difficult time both navigating the tables and keeping up with her 5 table section. It took over 40 minutes after we sat before anyone even brought water or bread to the table. I love wine, and since this was my birthday, I really wanted a couple special bottles opened and decanted right away so they'd be ready for dinner. I actually had to get up, go to the bar, ask for the sommelier, and have him get started on the wine, since the waitress hadn't visited our section. By the time she finally showed up, we were starting to get a little irritated, but determined to enjoy the night. We gently let her know we had been waiting a while and it was a special night, and also dropped the fact we had all waited tables before so we knew what it was like dealing with nights like this. Not even a smile from the lady. Over the course of the whole 2 hour meal, we had to flag down the waitress at every stage, to let her know when we needed plates cleaned, when we wanted to order dessert, etc. I felt like I was on the payroll instead of celebrating a birthday. Half the orders were brought out to the wrong spots, and one order was completely wrong, but we didn't even complain about it because we didn't want to wait another hour for the entree to be fixed. I really don't even remember what the food was like, as by then the experience was a total waste. I think my dinner tab that night for my wife and I was knocking on the door of $850, and thanks to TiW, I was forced to leave an 18% gratuity.

On the way out of the restaurant, the manager was at the check in desk and asked us how things were and while I at first just said great and kept walking, after two steps towards the elevator, I turned and let him know how unhappy I was with the service. He seemed apologetic, but really didn't offer much in the way of explanation for the experience. He did give us his business card and say the next time we were in town, to call him ahead of time and he'd make sure they made it up to us. The next day, one of my sisters went to use her credit card and found it was frozen - the waitress the night before had apparently run their bill through twice, and the credit card company had put a fraud lock on it. She spent 45 minutes on the phone with them trying to straighten it out, and then immediately took the business card and called that manager again to really lay into him. This time he stepped up, finding out that we had an illuminations cruise set for that night, and sending a complimentary cheese tray and a bottle of a very expensive wine that we had ordered the night before. It didn't fix the experience, but it did restore some good will.

I know bad experiences happen, but the fact this was such an expensive meal and on such a special night was very disappointing to us. I finally went back and tried California Grill again last summer, with much trepidation, and this time had one of the best experiences ever at Disney. Between the revamped menu and the fabulous waiter we had that night (a Morroccan guy named Tom), it was the hit of our entire trip. We even saw the same manager there and relayed the story to him, and he took a funny picture with my and wife and I so I could text it to my sister who had the credit card issue.

I worry about the direction of Disney Dining these days. Prices keep rising and with the advent of the "Dining Plan", I find what was once a dynamic and eclectic assortment of unique menus and flavors is becoming simplified, homogenized "high profit" fare, heavy on pre-prepared entrees and carbs. People no longer care about the quality of the food or the experience, they care about whether it is a "value" for their credits, so entrees which used to cost $15 5 years ago now show on the menu at $40, so a guest used to dining at Applebees can convince themselves that the dining credit they pre-paid $30 for is a "value". Not sure there is much that can be done to stop that trend, but my hope is that they at least continue to seek excellence in their servers and staff, as the commitment to guest satisfaction has always been Disney's hallmark, and goes a long way towards making the experiences "worth it" in the long run.

I hate to see so many bad experiences at Whispering Canyon. It's honestly one of my favorites! However, I do have a bad experience to share from there. We had a waitress who was very rude. I ordered the all-you-can-eat skillet, but didn't plan to finish it. One person joined our four person table about 45 minutes in and just wanted a milkshake. I offered that she could finish my food since I couldn't, but the waitress emphasized that this skillet is "per person". Okay. Well she had previously offered me a box. However, once we asked for an extra plate and she said no, she took my plate away without asking! The whole point of this all-you-can-eat skillet is that the waitress is supposed to ask if you want more of anything... I had to ask for more cornbread on my own. She was very rude.

Um. That's not rude. You should have taken your box and let your friend eat it somewhere else. You can't get another plate for a meal that is per person, for a friend that "only wants a milkshake". Not getting what you want does not = rude.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall was the worst experience we had. The food was good, but we were upset with our waitress. We used the dining plan to pay for our meal, but paid the tip in cash...which we left on the table. The waitress didn't see the tip and blocked our way out and pointedly asked if we didn't enjoy our meal. I was a little flustered before realizing she was trying to ask why we hadn't left a tip. I told her that we left the tip in the bill folder on the table. She gave us a surprised look and said it was better to give it directly to her b/c other workers would steal her tip. I was left a bit offended and some of the magic of the day was gone. I do want to add that this happened on our first trip about 4 years ago.

After so many years of trips, I can't say that I've had any really bad restaurant experiences on property. Have definitely had some "ok" servers, but that can/does happen everywhere so I don't let that bother me too much.

I have definitely eaten at some "ok" places, but I'd also not say any of them were inedible, just not my taste. Everyone is different.

One experience that does stick out was at San Angel Inn a few years back. My husband had been wanting to eat there for a few years so we made reservations. It was a later dinner and the place was nearly empty. Our server was very inattentive and service was slow overall. The food, however, was very delicious.... except I got violently ill within 20 minutes of leaving. We made the mistake of going "around the world" when we left Mexico so I now have knowledge of the location of every restroom in World Showcase! Definitely not a good experience, but hey, I have a funny story to tell about it now (and my husband had no issues - his food was wonderful).

We've actually loved all the places we've been to with the exception of Tusker House. We've been there for lunch and dinner and the food just wasn't great. The characters were a lot of fun and came by a few times, but we were also there this January for the Marathon weekend and they weren't busy. Chef Mickey's for dinner wasn't exactly fun, but we love them for breakfast.

I'm a little concerned about the reviews for 50s. We're going again this August and have reservations there. All of these comments are making me second guess that decision.

Columbia Harbor House was simply awful. Bought the most expensive things on the menu hoping to get something better than burger-and-dog fare and it was just bad. They didn't scrimp of the amount of lobster and shrimp, which was nice, but they just dumped into into a bowl of kiddie mac-and-cheese and "classed it up" with a bit of bread crumbs. If you think lobster and shrimp swimming in Velveta sounds good this might be the place for you. I don't remember what my wife got but the bulk of it went into the trash. Our worst service ever, also MK, Tony's. They literally had us hold our feet up so they could vacuum in the middle of dinner. MK has always been a food disaster for us and I think I'll be sticking to turkey legs and Dole Whips in future and save the dining for EPCOT Center (ain't changing), AK or the resorts.

Attachments

• 20141112_204123.jpg
    20141112_204123.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 71
We arrived 30 minutes early for ADR and waited TWO HOURS to be seated.
You were way too patient :) No way would we have waited that long. If they couldn't have seated us within 20-30 minutes of our reservation, we would have been out of there and eating elsewhere.

Just happened upon this thread while working on plans for our trip this fall. Love reading the honest reviews.

I have learned over the years never to have high expectations of Disney dining. That being said, I do expect some level of enjoyment at each restaurant, including quick service. So with those qualifications, the worst TS was Cape May last October. Now normally this is a fav but we had dinner there last fall and there was not a single redeemable aspect of it. 6:00 ressie turned into 7:15 seating. Our server was so distracted watching another service that we had repeat our drink order...twice (2 u sweet ice teas and 2 sprites). This also happened when we asked for an additional napkin. The food was meh, but that was expected. They kept running out of crab legs and if you got in line when the filled the container things, by the time we got up there we would only find 3-4 scrawny legs. I d dint care but the crab legs are my 10 yr old sons favorite. The worst part though was when my 10 year old decided to stand to the side to wait for the crab legs. I had to help my 8 year old with his plate so my 10 yr old stood quietly to the side holding his plate, close to where the plates are but well out of the way. I looked up and saw a male CM talking to him. I had my other sons plate in my hands and was making my way over to him, because well, I don't want him talking to strangers. When I got closer I saw him tear up and walk away, back to our table. Apparently the CM told him he could not wait and had to go back to his seat. No big deal, we generally do as we are told. But when I was going to leave my 8 year old by himself to help my 10 year old, my 10 yr old freaked out. It seems this CM told him it was wrong for me to leave my kids by themselves and we could all get in trouble for it. WTH? We were in that first room to the right, at the first table to the right, the one where you can see 80% of the buffet from your seat. My husband was right outside the door,min the lobby, taking a scheduled business call (we thought we would be finished eating 2 hours after our reservations, who knew). We did talk to a manager, but the damage was done and the next 3 days we pretty much had 2 kids who freaked if we were more than 5 feet away. Not sure if we will go back, it's up to my kids, but we are once again staying at Beach Club so, probably at least for breakfast.

Also, not a big fan of The Pepper Market at CSR. Not great food and the 3 times we ate there during our 11 day stay, someone at another table threw up. It was weird, we were starting to take it personally. Also, my boys now call it The Vomit Market, so I doubt we will ever go back.

MOST of the buffets on property leave a lot to be desired, but Chef Mickeys is the worst of the worst... Hollywood And Vine was a CLOSE second.

I've actually only experienced my family eating at Whispering Canyon but it was a good experience and I TRULY wanted to eat all that good looking meat. Only problem was... That was the trip we all got H1N1 (2009) and didn't know it yet. I just knew that I hadn't been feeling great, was blaming it on the burger I'd had for lunch from Cosmic Rays. I had ordered my basket of meat and was hoping to feel better by the time it arrived. I didn't. I sat and watched everyone else eat then I got up, found the washrooms outside the entrance in the lobby of the Lodge and decorated a toilet with jet streams of nasty brown vomit... And in between hurls I stopped long enough to shout out in the crowded washroom "SEE IF I EVER EAT HERE AGAIN!"

However, I think if I had to pick my worst dining experience in all of my years of Disney going, I would have to say Le Cellier at Epcot. I know I will probably get spit roasted for saying so, as it seems to be a renowned favourite, and perhaps it was just an off day, but it was not only a bad Disney dining experience it was one of the worst dining experiences I have EVER had.

We arrived for our reservation and it was clear from the moment our server approached us she had other things on her mind. We waited twenty minutes before she first approached us. Nope, not kidding, I wish I were. She brought the basket of assorted breads and seeing a pretzel bun I asked for some mustard... You ready for this? It was FORTY-FIVE MINUTES to get mustard. PART of the reason was that a table that got seated next to ours about fifteen minutes after us had a pre-teen who was apparently allergic to food... Like, ALL OF IT. So they had to bring the chef out and he spoke with them AT LENGTH and finally ended up having to create something that was totally not even on the menu to appease them. Great guy, I've seen him on morning news shows before. But why the server needed to stand there the WHOLE TIME the chef was speaking to them instead of tending to her other tables, us included, still baffles me to this day.

Having said all that, it was a TWO AND A HALF HOUR waste of time because the food we got, when we FINALLY got it, was sub par. It was NOT what I was expecting from this much lauded establishment to say the least but it was bordering on the level of a Ponderosa. It came out barely warm and everything meat related was overdone and dry and the vegetables were mushy, overcooked, and SMOTHERED in a very oily butter.

Our worst recent experience was probably Mama Melrose. We had a "dinner" ADR at 2 pm as it was the only time we could get for the Fantasmic package. We got there and waited almost an hour to be seated. Once we sat down the service continued to be super slow. The food was just ok. We had a FP for the Frozen sing along right nearby which was 2 hours after our ADR time and my DD and I had to leave the table without finishing our meals in order to make it in time for the show. Luckily my DH and DS didn't care about seeing it and were able to finish.

I think we have also decided not to go back to Biergarten again. My husband loves German food but the quality there has been getting worse and worse over the years. The show is still good but otherwise it's totally skippable.

It's such shame to see so many less than magical experiences. Sadly, it happens, even at Disney. We had a pretty bad experience at Whispering Canyon, we got seated in the farthest corner completely out of the regular dining room. This was with 2 young kids and we had requested to sit in the main dining room. We asked to have our table changed but were told that they would only be able to move us if we waited another 30 minutes. So being a bit later in the evening with hungry young uns we just took it. And then the milkshake machine was broken! Honestly one of the major reasons we go there! The icing on the cake was the fact that our server was very inattentive and not even what I'd call polite. And I worked in restaurants myself for years.

That being said, we attempted to speak with a manager who was too busy to talk to me. My hotel concierge wasn't too busy, she immediately contacted the restaurant about their poor service, etc. She then credited back our dining credits from the meal, which worked out bc we had an ADR at Chefs de France that we planned to pay OOP for. We've since been back to Whispering Canyon bc we love it and the food and service was great. Of course I felt a little less than magical when I drank WAY too many milkshakes once and threw up....LMAO!!!

we attempted to speak with a manager who was too busy to talk to me
This is a BIG problem. Disney has never been perfect, but they used to excel at "guest recovery", handling a problem that occurred and doing everything possible to make the guest happy after the fact. All too often anymore, that is no longer the case. I think that's what folks are upset about more than anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter