World Trade Center Movie - Go or No Go?

Today is the opening of the Movie "World Trade Center". Will you go see it or not?

• Yes - I'll Go See It - I have no reservations about seeing it.

• Yes, I'll Go See It, but I have mixed feelings about seeing it.

• No, I won't See It.

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Planogirl said:
I feel for those of you who went through this. I can't imagine the pain and horror. But it is often said that it's better to talk about these things and to deal directly with them than to forget or avoid them. I don't know really and I wonder what the best approach is?
Choosing not to see the film is not trying to forget it or trying to avoid it. And for many people, going to see a Hollywood movie isn't a way of dealing with it. Every person heals differently. When my grandfather passed away from cancer, I couldn't watch any movie that dealt with death...especially when it dealt with an illness-related death. It wasn't that I didn't want to face it, but I found it way too painful to watch something I could relate to. It's still hard for me a few years later...I can't even watch the episode of Friends where Monica and Ross' grandmother dies without crying. How I worked through the pain and am still working through it was actually participating in the Relay for Life and volunteering with the American Cancer Society.

I'm not trying to compare my grandfather's death to the death of those from 9/11...but ultimately death is death and it will really grieve someone. Five years is still a short period of time...and grief cannot be rushed.

I'm not actually saying that seeing this movie is a way to deal with mourning. I'm really just commenting on those who said that they wished they could just forget. I'm not sure if that is necessarily wise or even possible. But it's true that everyone must handle things in their own way.

Planogirl said:
I'm not actually saying that seeing this movie is a way to deal with mourning. I'm really just commenting on those who said that they wished they could just forget. I'm not sure if that is necessarily wise or even possible. But it's true that everyone must handle things in their own way.

I understand what everyone has said, and thought maybe I should clarify what I said about "wanting to forget". I NEVER want to forget the importance of that day, but for me, personally, I'd like to forget the carnage and devestation I saw at the Pentagon. No human being should ever do that to another human being.

I personally think that it is way to soon to be showing movies like this about 9/11. It is sad to think that there has been a movie in plan probably since the day of the attack.

flipturngirl said:
I personally think that it is way to soon to be showing movies like this about 9/11. It is sad to think that there has been a movie in plan probably since the day of the attack.

I don't think so. I saw the movie last night and it is about two Port Authority Police officers that were trapped in the rubble and rescued. There were 20 people that were rescued from the calapse - they were numbers 18 & 19. Planogirl....I agree with all of your posts.

Ginamarie said:
I can't do it. I know many people who died in the towers that day, and it would be too painful. Even five years later it's like an open wound for a lot of the people I know here in NY. To us, that day is something far more ... I don't know the word, compelling, destructive, life-changing, -- than anyone could portray in a film.

I work for American Airlines. I know what you're saying. I hear it's supposed to be really well done, but it's just still too close to home. I'd like to see it someday, but not right now.

In light of what has happened over the past 24 hours - anyone want to change their vote?

I saw the movie on Wednesday. Truthfully, it wasn't a very good movie. The acting wasn't very good, other then Nick Cage. The family members weren't very believable in their grief and it made it look fake. I tend to cry during emotional movies and there was one brief part where I thought I might cry but didn't because the scene was over too fast.

I think if you know someone that died there it might be more emotional for you but for the general public, it wasn't the tear jerker people think it is.

golfgal said:
I saw the movie on Wednesday. Truthfully, it wasn't a very good movie. The acting wasn't very good, other then Nick Cage. The family members weren't very believable in their grief and it made it look fake. I tend to cry during emotional movies and there was one brief part where I thought I might cry but didn't because the scene was over too fast.

I think if you know someone that died there it might be more emotional for you but for the general public, it wasn't the tear jerker people think it is.
I wonder if they decided to take a softer approach? Maybe they wanted to downplay the sadness to make it not quite so hard to watch? :confused3

As for the events lately, that hasn't changed my mind about seeing it. I'd still like to.

Nope, I won't see it, for the same reasons I wouldn't go see United 93. The wounds are still too fresh. :guilty:

I saw it yesterday and thought it was very good. It brought it all back, which I thing everyone needs to remember. It also, especially after what's happening now with the airlines, renewed my belief in the wars we are fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. Actually, what I really think we should do, I can't say because most people would be shocked, although I know a lot would agree. I just don't see how anyone can see or remember anything having to do with 9/11 and not want to avenge it.

We are leaving on vacation tomorrow morning, and I just spent some time going over our bags to make sure they meet the new restrictions. All thanks to a bunch of religous zealots who hate America.

I don't think I could bring myself to see it. I don't care that the film's been made or that people will go see it, it's just not for me.

I will not be seeing this movie. I saw the planes hit the towers from Greenpoint, Brooklyn where I was working at the time. I saw the fire trucks and police cars rushing towards the city. I saw the flyers featuring people who were missing. I lived through not knowing if my then FIL, who worked at the Trade Center, was alive or not (thankfully he did get out in time). I saw my stoic step-father, who is an electrician and worked at the site in the days immediately after the attack, become a sullen, emotional wreck from what he experienced. When my mother offered to accompany him one morning, wanting to volunteer her time helping those in the rescue and recovery efforts, he told her she did not want to see what was down there. I have been down there since and have seen sky where sky should not be and an empty pit where I once went shopping with my friends. I don't need to see a Hollywood recreation of it. I am bitter about this movie. I understand the need for some to see it, but to me it is just a way for Oliver Stone to make a quick buck while exploiting a sad, horrible time for NYC and for the US.

A coworker saw it last night and said people were bawling and some had to leave for a while. I don't know that I can stand it...I have a very soft heart (I still haven't even been able to watch Schindler's List).

I lost a family friend at the WTC and I couldn't bear to see it. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him and of the pain his family has experieinced since it all happened. Everytime there is a commercial on TV for this movie I feel a pang of pain and think of the thousands of people that are also hurt by this advertisement. I think it is way to early for Hollywood to take advantage of the event. The film makers should be ashamed of themselves. JMHO Jay

I really want to see it, but I'm probably gonna wait until it comes out on DVD. I'll probably cry during it and am not the type to do so in theaters. I prefer to turn into a blubbering idiot in the privacy of my own home.

Not sure if I'm going to see it or not. I don't need a movie to be reminded about WTC -the images are seared into my brain after watching it unfold on tv for days on end. My husband is a fireman, and went to Ground Zero just after it happened. He refuses to watch this movie because he said it's too soon, it didn't need to be made. I tear up just watching the trailer - maybe I'll wait for it to come out on video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter