World Trade Center Movie - Go or No Go?

Today is the opening of the Movie "World Trade Center". Will you go see it or not?

• Yes - I'll Go See It - I have no reservations about seeing it.

• Yes, I'll Go See It, but I have mixed feelings about seeing it.

• No, I won't See It.

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I lost it durning a preview on TV. I can't ever see it.

Imzadi said:
I am a native New York City person. My apartment had a direct view of the WTC looking out my window. I strongly oppose this film or any other "dramatization" of the events or people involved with 9/11. It is EXPLOITATION plain & simple. :furious: This is not a documetary. This is a dramatization and they are making money off of it. :badpc:

Documentaries, with ACTUAL footage of events, I will see. There was a fabulous, touching, heartbreaking one, where Robert DeNiro was in the introduction. The filmmakers just happened to be there, doing a different film on "probbie" firefighters and caught the events. That was tastefully done. That was shown for FREE on tv the year following 9/11. They didn't reach into out wallets. At the end, DeNiro said if you want to DONATE money to the Widows & Orphans fund, he gave a number.

Simple, direct, a choice. none of this dramatization crap & reaching for money up front. :furious:

Did you see Pearl Harbor?

The emotions are still too raw for me....and I'm a cryer in general (see tag) so I don't think I'd be able to get through that one yet. I actually get teared up at the previews.

I just got back from seeing World Trade Center. Wow is basically all I can say right now. It's very well made and I don't think it exploits anything about that day.

I voted undecided, not because of whether or not I want to see it because I do. I'm undecided about going to the movies or waiting for DVD to come out.

It's not one of those movies I'd spend the money on but I will watch it when it comes out on DVD. I don't have any qualms about watching it anymore then I do about any other disaster movie.

I would like to see it. Dramatization or not, the heroes from that day deserve to have their stories told IMO.

Planogirl said:
I would like to see it. Dramatization or not, the heroes from that day deserve to have their stories told IMO.

I understand what you are saying, and I know the Pentagon was not as horrific as the WTC. But having said that, I worked at the Pentagon and was also tasked with SAR for a few days afterwards. I WISH I WISH I WISH that I had taken my boss' advice and not gone for it was 1000% more horrific than any thing that was shone on TV - and for good reason. Most people could not stand to witness the detailed horror of that day. Having told you that I had a upclose and personal encounter with 9/11, does that make me a hero. Not in my mind - I was just doing what I was told to do, and wishing, to this day, that I didn't see it and that I could forget. I've talked with a lot of other SAR and police and FD and EMTs who weere at WTC, and most of them feel the same - they'd just like to forget. But again, that's just my opinion.

Imzadi said:
Documentaries, with ACTUAL footage of events, I will see. There was a fabulous, touching, heartbreaking one, where Robert DeNiro was in the introduction. The filmmakers just happened to be there, doing a different film on "probbie" firefighters and caught the events. That was tastefully done. That was shown for FREE on tv the year following 9/11. They didn't reach into out wallets. At the end, DeNiro said if you want to DONATE money to the Widows & Orphans fund, he gave a number.

Documentaries (like all other films) are made for profit. The film you are talking about by the 2 French film makers is available for sale. They've made plenty of money from it.

As for the current movie. I saw it today. Very good film. It tells the story of 2 survivors. I recommend it.

documentaries, dramatizations, whatever...all made for profit, and all told from a specific point of view. I've been to museums where I've viewed dramatizations of the events commemorated by the museum. some of our best films in recent years have included Schindler's List and Life is Beautiful -- and I wouldn't consider them exploitive of the Holocaust.

though I am happy that Stone is donating a portion of the profits to the memorial and to several WTC charities. and I've heard very positive responses from the first responders who saw special previews of the movie.

I've spent most of my career in various jobs in lower Manhattan. I was quite lucky not to be in the city on 9/11. right now I travel through Ground Zero on the PATH train on my way to and from work every day. five years later, the emotions are still kind of raw, and I can well understand why some of us won't want to see the movie. on the other hand, I just saw a WTC survivor on TV who said that she escaped from one of the towers...and felt seeing the movie had brought her some closure.

I intend to see it. for me, it's a way to memorialize the events of the day.

and as a historian I feel the need to documet the event for future generations.

We won't go see it...there are really few movies that we see in the theatre, and this isn't the type we go to see. Maybe once it hits DVD...

But in all honestly, I think it's way too soon for a movie like this. It was only five years ago and this is still a relatively new tragedy for so many people....especially with the war still going on. I really think this is something that should have waited.

I cant go see it. My DH & I lived in NYC when it happened. My DH used to work in the trade center & we lost a lot of friends & coworkers that day. There are just to many images from that day & the weeks after, still to fresh in my mind. My DH wasn't there that day only by chance. I feel lucky & truly blessed to still have him here. I can't bring myself to see the movie or any other movies about it now.

My brother worked in the World Financial building, directly across the street. The plane passed right by his window, and he watched many, many people falling or jumping to their deaths. My husband was working as a reporter, and was there as World Trade #7 collapsed later that day, and everyone ran for their lives. I don't know anyone who would go to see it. For those of us who lived through it, watched it from our windows and smelled it, and are reminded of it each day by that gaping, empty space in the sky, a Hollywood movie is the last thing we need.

I feel for those of you who went through this. I can't imagine the pain and horror. But it is often said that it's better to talk about these things and to deal directly with them than to forget or avoid them. I don't know really and I wonder what the best approach is?

I plan to see the film and face it head on. Sure, it wasn't as "bad" for me but it was bad. I still plan to see it, I almost feel like I have to.

Five years ago the tragedy of the world trade center touched every American and people in other countries. We felt so much sorrow but it also brought us together and made us stronger. We flew our American flags and wore our red white and blue ribbons. We sent our money, prayers, and love to New Yorkers . I feel it is time to remember and once again put them in our prayers. I hope there will allways be things to remind us of this tragedy so that we can remain strong and bound together.

Scraper said:
Five years ago the tragedy of the world trade center touched every American and people other countries. We felt so much sorrow but it also brought us together and made us stronger. We flew our American flags and wore our red white and blue ribbons. We sent our money, prayers, and love to New Yorkers . I feel it is time to remember and once again put them in our prayers. I hope there will allways be things to remind us of this tragedy so that we can remain strong and bound together.
Nicely said. :thumbsup2

I was just thinking too, what about those who died? If we try to forget as some have said on this thread, what about them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter