• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

Had to play catch up so I'll only comment on the Day 2 plans. I'm with the others, I'd start the boys out on a short leash and then lengthen it if they do well. It'd probably be best to sit them all down together, read them the riot act on sticking to the rules and go from there. My kids are 10 years apart so Lacey was a teenager when I started letting the two of them go off alone in the parks. Hunter is 16 and has grown up in the parks and I would have no problem at all letting him go off on his own but I'd still have to have him check in with me by phone every once in a while.

Had to play catch up so I'll only comment on the Day 2 plans. I'm with the others, I'd start the boys out on a short leash and then lengthen it if they do well. It'd probably be best to sit them all down together, read them the riot act on sticking to the rules and go from there.

Oh yes, that is definitely on my agenda over breakfast before we hit any parks after arrival. :rotfl:

My kids are 10 years apart so Lacey was a teenager when I started letting the two of them go off alone in the parks. Hunter is 16 and has grown up in the parks and I would have no problem at all letting him go off on his own but I'd still have to have him check in with me by phone every once in a while.

Right, I'd have no issues with Kendall off on her own (though she wouldn't want to unless she had a girlfriend with her), or honestly even Evan by himself within reason, it's more keeping the group together and younger ones not freaking out.

We LOVED O "Hanas for supper !! I was really afraid Judy wouldn't , but she LOVED the food and wanted to make it a MUST do !!! As fr the Teens lone time , that is a toughie but I kinda go along with the gradual trial time of 1 hour ! Let them know that if they screw it up it's over and each time remind them the same !! I think we let the girls go alone at 13 just a bit bit they really were not keen then, by 16 they were fine and did their thing and we did ours and we met for group attractions > Kyle neither is ready or has any desire to go off alone at Disney!!!

Our first group, Melissa and her boys will take off on a Delta flight that leaves around 6pm. They will change planes in Salt Lake City around midnight and land at 6:10 am. The will likely not check any bags. My folks, Jeff and I and the E's are on an Alaska 9:45pm flight that lands at 6:15am. Thanks to all that fall work travel I finally got status back on Alaska so will be 2 free bags! YAY! We will check 2 for us and then carry on 2-3 depending on how much groceries I pack. My parents will also check a couple. I will drug Evan and Jeff with melatonin for the flight, it doesn't do anything for Eric and I so we will just try to sleep without it. Eric is my problem child in this area but I can always hope. I did at least get a window seat for myself...which increases my odds and Jeff is in a different row behind us (3 to a row) so that increases his. My parents, likely deliberately lol, have seats at the very back of the plane whereas we are near the front.

So I realize they may have not done this on purpose.... and so maybe you could change it so you all sat together? That is assuming you all want to sit together. ;)

All checked bags will be headed straight to our resort. How?

Working the System Part 1.
With my nephew Isaac unable to join us it occurred to me that "technically" my villa can hold 9. While my parents are actually staying at the Swan, they are also listed on my BWV reservation. Why? I've got 3 reasons!

Disneys Magical Express. This saves them dealing with a mears shuttle or cab both hassle and expense. It also lets them skip baggage claim (or clam as Eric called it back in 2009 and weve never let him live it down).

Magic Bands. They will get MagicBands that are good for the BWV dates. This is key as it
  • Will let them go back to the villa on their own for a rest if they prefer a living room to their hotel room at the swan (or an adult beverage on the balcony
  • Allows them to participate in FP+ which, during the holidays I do think we want!
  • Hopefully helps to link photos etc for our photopass

This is quite brilliant!

I am allergic to.

Yes, I have confirmed to the extent that Disney is willing to release their "patented and confidential" material compositions that both the MagicBand and the CoverBands that they sell to make them more comfy if the bands irritate your skin include stuff I am allergic to.

Of course they do.

The band, among other things, includes "hospital grade rubber" (does anyone remember my snorkeling rubber stories?) and the cover, neoprene.
I have also confirmed that the expectation for EMH and for FP+ is that you WILL have your band with you. So while I am told that I can get all the functionality on my KTTW card it is strongly suggested that I have a band with me, even if it is in a plastic baggie. A lovely person from a FB group I am part of has made me a cover and is sending it to me. SO sweet and will make life easier I think. I am crafty. I could make one. But, the time, effort and cost to go get the materials and then make it...UGH. Even though it does sound super easy.

I am sorry that stinks!! But it is nice that someone made you covers! I hope they help. Hospital grade rubber though? :scratchin I may have to see how dd reacts as this may cause her trouble.

1. Check in
  2. Leave carryons with Bell Services
  3. Walk next door to the Yacht Club and have breakfast at the Captains Grille
  4. Walk to IG guest services so I can get a TIW card and pick up my PAP

This will all be done, not necessary in that order, it will depend on timing. I've taken a little bit of heat for my 8am breakfast reservation, plenty of folks seem to think I am insane and we will never make it there in time. To that I say...

We might not. CG is not exactly slammed with folks waiting for breakfast, at least not as a general rule. I can't imagine that late will really be an issue. If it is, it is. It is a non CC reservation made before the 31st and we can always walk in at Kouzzina if for some bizarre holiday crowd reason there is really an issue getting in. That said...

I think I tend to more optimistic when it comes to travel times. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I like to think that things will run smoothly and getting from MCO to a resort for a meal won't take too long. I know for us, I really have a hard time thinking that making an 8pm reservation won't be out of the question when arrival is at 6:30pm... and definitely a 9pm reservation should be fine. Yet... we all know how even a simple transport from park to resort can take a long time. (I gave myself an hour from main St. to AKL and it took a slight bit longer) I guess bottom line you have to take the attitude that you have... if you don't make it, then you figure it out then and don't stress.

We will HAVE to stop and get at least one photo. Or at least I'm sure going to try! I ordered the PhotoPass+ over the weekend and am coordinating a share.

I was just figuring out how shares go and now with the fp+... I am totally not sure again.

It's a first day tradition! Eric and Kolby have 11:30 appointments, Evan at noon. LOVE that you can do appointments now! Per Evan, here will be a pre and post barber shop shot!

What a cool first day tradition!!!

My mom and I are doing CP. While the others would enjoy it, it is not a big enough deal for it to be worth the $$ for the package. If they want to, they can enjoy from outside. Dad will definitely be ready to head to bed after dinner. The rest we will unleash on Epcot to do what they will or, whatever. Jeff and my sister Melissa will be in charge of that decision. They may want pool time or who knows. Mom and I will go to the 8:15 show.

Candlelight%20Processional%20photo(c)Disney%20(Matt%20Stroshane,%20photographer).jpg

Our narrator is Amy Grant. I am beyond excited for this. I was a HUGE fan as a teen and still am. I am a bit of a Christmas music junkie (have over 60 hours of xmas music on my iphone lol) and of all of that, her 1983 "A Christmas Album" is still one of my most beloved and played to death.
Ideally mom and I will be able to stay up and see Illuminations from our special package viewing area and everyone else will let us know what they are up to. Im sure they will be seeing if FP works with cards and the like among other things.

The CP was a highlight of our holiday trip. We didn't even have a narrator that we knew much about.
For me, and most likely for Jeff and Melissa, our day will begin with this

Minus the yogurt

And with a different view

Our view will be more like this

DSC_0531.JPG

That looks heavenly...either view. :goodvibes

And well, I will hopefully be drinking out of a new mug...you know, it's my thing! Ideally I will have found a magical new mug on day 1. So far there is nothing specific I have my eye on. It will speak to me and hopefully quickly as the villa mugs are WAY too small!

I hope you find your new mug on day 1!

I will go out for a quick run and pick up milk and a couple of other things so that the clan can have breakfast and take a little bit of time to clear the cobwebs and get moving. That is a quick run to get milk...not a quick run. While I do plan to run while there...I don't expect to have acclimated to the time change on day 2 yet. It's not entirely out of the question but, unlikely.

:rotfl2: I am glad you clarified! At first I was thinking you meant a "quick run" then as I read I did realize you were just talking about going out for milk.

We have a 6:20 ADR here&yeah I know the food is a little different now

Dinner will take some time. Potentially as long as 3 hours. Frankly, I am not mentioning that to my sister Kerri. I know she is jonesing to head straight to MK, but we all have to eat. I am also not sure how her DH Eric would feel about a meal that lasts that long that is served family style. Although, heaven knows it does at any family gathering so maybe I am worried for no reason. After dinner...I am not exactly sure.

It does take a while, doesn't it. You remind me of this and I wonder if my own reservation is a wise idea. 8 pm would work, but 9pm might be a tad late if we want to hit rd the next day. :scratchin.

When I booked this, it was the only time I could get for that many people. I had thought that fireworks were at 9:30 and that was a big deal, as they will do the MK NYE fireworks twice, once on the 30th and once on the 31st. We would be cutting it close to see it if Ohana runs true to its late form. However, it appears that the Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks Fireworks really will not be until 11:50. Now I am not sure if that means there is a normal showing of Holiday Wishes as well, or what. Right now it says there is, at 8:30. Maybe we will see a glimpse through our window. We may also catch a glimpse of the EWP...which I have never seen and so that would make me very happy.

Not sure how true it is... but the ap I have on my phone lists the "holiday wishes - Celebrate the Spirit of the Season" at 8:30pm

As I've never been during the holidays&when are the castle lights turned on? Is that part of the normal Holiday Wishes?

I am perhaps wrong, but something makes me want to say they come on at dusk?

Which brings me to another point/question. What is everyones thoughts on "freedom"?

I think you are being given some sound advice... for me, it is the fact that Kolby is just 12. In someways, I would feel like the older ones would be more babysitting. That being said though.... I do feel that they should have some freedom. Maybe just letting them branch out slowly to see where everyone's comfort level and competency level is.

I love that you always have a picture of your coffee on the balcony in the mornings while on a Disney trip :cloud9:

I get nervous even thinking about letting DS (or any other future kids we may have) alone by themselves. I would probably let them venture off in the same park that i'm at, but would give them a time limit and place to meet up afterwards - phone on at all times. Who knows! You may change your mind when you're there and feel completely comfortable letting them go wild for a few hours.

That is kind of what we are thinking. Day 1 there won't be much time for it to be tested until after dinner but there is more time on Day 2. They want it, I don't want to be stressed all trip about them checking in..plus do want us all together at least some of the time so there will have to be compromise.

I'll take a quarter!

Really good points on time management (they suck) and ride knowledge. I think they think they know more than they do. At least at 3 out of 4 parks. I think they have a very good grasp of AK as that was recent but the others were 2.5 years ago and at their age, plus all the crowds, no I don't think they have a grasp on both at the same time. They can navigate pretty well (or at least Eric can read a map, he is obsessed with them) and I think do have a good idea where stuff is but there is enough "new" that both of my boys, especially Eric, is likely to have "Squirrel!" moments. (Though typically we call Evan out on that one...it is SO him!).

It might be a case of "We want freedom" until they have it for a short time and they are the ones that pull the plug. :rotfl2: With crowds and having to keep up with each other, they may find it is easier to stay with the adults. If I remember correctly, there was some texting involving some directions. Ds was allowed to hop once he was comfortable. The first time was a short time before a LeCellier dinner where he had maybe an hour at the most. That's when I had to steer him away from Ellen. It was raining on and off and we had to rescue him in a downpour because he didn't know exactly where LeCellier was while he waited in a phone booth in the UK. :rotfl2::rotfl2: He was quite wet and a bit cold at dinner but humbled.

The riot act was phone on and communicating at first when switching rides- text when getting in line with wait time and then again when getting off along with next destination. That increased to changing areas of the park then to changing parks.
He had to have great time management skills, be at dinner ( specifically) on time. Allow plenty of time for transfers and if caught in line then get out of line. no exceptions.
At one point it became a picture text since well he had a hard time texting - writing and spelling not his favorite- so a where am I text. :lmao:
When meeting up I will say - he usually beat me.

If time allows I am thinking the first test could be a Sorcerers thing at MK around their Splash FP and meet back at Space Mountain on the first day. And we go from there.

That will be perfect. Think about the directional "life" skills that will also be learned....priceless :thumbsup2

We LOVED O "Hanas for supper !! I was really afraid Judy wouldn't , but she LOVED the food and wanted to make it a MUST do !!!

I don't see anything here that folks won't like, even Kolby who could live on Yakisoba noodles and that's basically what those are. Between that and the seating being very good for a large group, I think it's a perfect fit. My gang loved it in 2010.

As fr the Teens lone time , that is a toughie but I kinda go along with the gradual trial time of 1 hour ! Let them know that if they screw it up it's over and each time remind them the same !! I think we let the girls go alone at 13 just a bit bit they really were not keen then, by 16 they were fine and did their thing and we did ours and we met for group attractions > Kyle neither is ready or has any desire to go off alone at Disney!!!

The kids didn't ask last trip, I think it's the cousin attraction.... we will start SLOW and see how it goes.

So I realize they may have not done this on purpose.... and so maybe you could change it so you all sat together? That is assuming you all want to sit together. ;)

I mentioned to them that there were lots available farther up (don't know that it's still the case mind you) not sure if they tried to change or not. They booked really early so somehow must have chosen that. They did miles, as did I on some so I know it wasn't a mileage thing. Wierd! I'd never choose the back when closer was open.

This is quite brilliant!

I hope so. I would feel a LOT better if my sister would get their tickets. Oh well.

I am sorry that stinks!! But it is nice that someone made you covers! I hope they help. Hospital grade rubber though? :scratchin I may have to see how dd reacts as this may cause her trouble.

Can she wear the cheapo rubber bracelets? Like the livestrong ones or those shaped ones? That might give you a clue. I have an extra cover, Anna went a little crazy so will bring it tomorrow for Zoe. I don't need 2 red ones :goodvibes and if she doesn't wear it, no biggie at all.

I think I tend to more optimistic when it comes to travel times. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I like to think that things will run smoothly and getting from MCO to a resort for a meal won't take too long. I know for us, I really have a hard time thinking that making an 8pm reservation won't be out of the question when arrival is at 6:30pm... and definitely a 9pm reservation should be fine. Yet... we all know how even a simple transport from park to resort can take a long time. (I gave myself an hour from main St. to AKL and it took a slight bit longer) I guess bottom line you have to take the attitude that you have... if you don't make it, then you figure it out then and don't stress.

I am too, I tend to think it should NOT take more than an hour to get anywhere but...it has. Not often, but it has. I'm definitely erring on the cautious side. Of course, the thing is, we are ALWAYS late. To everything. My folks aren't, nor are my sisters. Jeff and I...always. Not horribly but...late. I figure for Ohana, early is good...time for a drink from Tambu while we wait!

I was just figuring out how shares go and now with the fp+... I am totally not sure again.

I "think" I have figured out the PP share part. Potentially the PP+ share even.

What a cool first day tradition!!!

It is! It really was kind of a fluke on the 2009 trip, something I'd read about on the DIS and the boys really needed a cut. It was so fun, they loved it so much, it's become a "thing".

The CP was a highlight of our holiday trip. We didn't even have a narrator that we knew much about.

Mom and I are SO excited! Kerri is bummed to be missing it. But she got 2 more days out of Eric than she thought she would in total for the trip so it was a good tradeoff.

That looks heavenly...either view. :goodvibes

I hope you find your new mug on day 1!

Me too! I am not opposed to buying more than one...if one speaks to me later on in the trip but really hope there is something fabulous that first night, even though I won't be doing much shopping. It will be luck as much as anything.

I am torn on the whole online check in thing. Historically I seem to have better room request luck when I do not do it. We will be there so early that I guess the only advantage to online check in is...them knowing we will be there that early. I'm just not sure that helps me get my request. Weird to think I could check in now. Other thing is, if I don't pre-check in, I don't have to tie a CC to the room and I do like that. Hmmmn.

:rotfl2: I am glad you clarified! At first I was thinking you meant a "quick run" then as I read I did realize you were just talking about going out for milk.

Well you never know, it could happen, it will at some point during the trip, probably 1x at BWv and 1x at THV, but I am thinking first morning...probably not.

It does take a while, doesn't it. You remind me of this and I wonder if my own reservation is a wise idea. 8 pm would work, but 9pm might be a tad late if we want to hit rd the next day. :scratchin.

It does. I think I allowed 2 or 2.5 last time and it was 2.4 to 3. Then the bus took so long to come before we made it to DHS that we missed TSM before it closed for refurb. Such a bummer!

Not sure how true it is... but the ap I have on my phone lists the "holiday wishes - Celebrate the Spirit of the Season" at 8:30pm

Yep, I saw that on the site last night, it's updated finally to show that, and then the Fantasy Fireworks at 11:50.

I am perhaps wrong, but something makes me want to say they come on at dusk?

What time is that in Dec? I have no idea :rotfl2:

I think you are being given some sound advice... for me, it is the fact that Kolby is just 12. In someways, I would feel like the older ones would be more babysitting. That being said though.... I do feel that they should have some freedom. Maybe just letting them branch out slowly to see where everyone's comfort level and competency level is.

Well, he will be 13 in May. He is also in middle school, same grade as Eric. Socially more savvy but also much less independent or comfortable going off on his own.

It might be a case of "We want freedom" until they have it for a short time and they are the ones that pull the plug. :rotfl2: With crowds and having to keep up with each other, they may find it is easier to stay with the adults.

:rotfl: I can see Evan getting fed up with herding Eric and handing "back" control.

If I remember correctly, there was some texting involving some directions. Ds was allowed to hop once he was comfortable. The first time was a short time before a LeCellier dinner where he had maybe an hour at the most. That's when I had to steer him away from Ellen. It was raining on and off and we had to rescue him in a downpour because he didn't know exactly where LeCellier was while he waited in a phone booth in the UK. :rotfl2::rotfl2: He was quite wet and a bit cold at dinner but humbled.

With Evan, humbling is likely what it would take. He is pretty consistent that way :lmao:

The riot act was phone on and communicating at first when switching rides- text when getting in line with wait time and then again when getting off along with next destination. That increased to changing areas of the park then to changing parks.
He had to have great time management skills, be at dinner ( specifically) on time. Allow plenty of time for transfers and if caught in line then get out of line. no exceptions.
At one point it became a picture text since well he had a hard time texting - writing and spelling not his favorite- so a where am I text. :lmao:
When meeting up I will say - he usually beat me.

He beat you....love that!

That will be perfect. Think about the directional "life" skills that will also be learned....priceless :thumbsup2

Well Eric does plan to be an Eagle Scout....:rotfl2:

Jeff isn't sure he can find his way out of a paper bag though! I do hope it goes ok, for all our sakes. It will start slow though...at least if I get my way.

Ohana has changed their menu?!?! What's changed?

As for the kids I think i'd want to keep them on a short leash up to the 31st when crowds will be insane and then if they have behaved those first 3 days you could give them more freedom from the 1st Jan onwards when the crowds will have gone home.

Which half? LOL
any will do.

The plans sound good. Just remember the 2 younger kids would need an adult to get them in the park as the age is now 14 to enter. Once in they can go free. LOL. I think that is the new rule.

All caught up! :hyper:

As far as freedom goes, yes I'd give it to them. We allowed our midday nap girls to leave us at Epcot and navigate their way back to AKV. They stopped in Epcot, ate some, and made it back just fine. We also let them have park alone time in WDW while all staying in the same park.

At Disneyland we allow them more freedom as it's smaller. They can park hop, go back to the villa, it's a smaller venue though than WDW but we've been allowing them some freedom for years at Disneyland/DCA. They don't always take the freedom as we have the money and they never know when Michael is going to allow for a small spending spree. :lmao:

They're both girls though (and Joshua) and Gabby is very responsible. Very.

It's so dependent on each child and the dynamics between the kids.

What is your main concern with them venturing out on their own? What realistically do you think will happen?

Ohana has changed their menu?!?! What's changed?

The veggies changed, no more broccoli, now it's a mixed stir fry. I feel like there is something else that is different (salad dressing I think?). But am not postive.

As for the kids I think i'd want to keep them on a short leash up to the 31st when crowds will be insane and then if they have behaved those first 3 days you could give them more freedom from the 1st Jan onwards when the crowds will have gone home.

Unfortunately with the 31st falling on a weds...crowds are predicted to be at level 10's all the way until the 5th. I do think the 5th itself will be better but not sure will hit a park with all 4 kids before they get on a plane as that would mean adding a day to the other kids tickets.

any will do.

The plans sound good. Just remember the 2 younger kids would need an adult to get them in the park as the age is now 14 to enter. Once in they can go free. LOL. I think that is the new rule.

Actually they just need to be with someone 14 or older. But I'm not presently planning on letting them be in a park without an adult in the same park. We will see but the crowd levels scare me.

All caught up! :hyper:

As far as freedom goes, yes I'd give it to them. We allowed our midday nap girls to leave us at Epcot and navigate their way back to AKV. They stopped in Epcot, ate some, and made it back just fine. We also let them have park alone time in WDW while all staying in the same park.

They had Gabby. I do think it's very different. And honestly, girls are different. If K was there, that would be a very different story. I do think heading back to the resort is different than letting them hop to a park without us. I might well be ok with them going back to the resort except...I would not be ok with them at the pool without an adult and I can't think of another reason they would want to go back lol. I'm not really worried that anything "bad" would happen, more that they would be separated due to the crowds (level 10's, all days) and it would become a lot of time trying to find folks, reconnect and stressing adults and kids out. Would they really be lost? No. Alone in park, while we are in the same park, we will test. Probably an hour to start and then go from there. If crowds are or were lower I might be willing to stretch it a bit more, especially if it is from BWV to either Epcot or DHS. Not that they couldn't find the bus to the others, just more time in travel (and I pity the others on the bus with them). LOL!

At Disneyland we allow them more freedom as it's smaller. They can park hop, go back to the villa, it's a smaller venue though than WDW but we've been allowing them some freedom for years at Disneyland/DCA. They don't always take the freedom as we have the money and they never know when Michael is going to allow for a small spending spree. :lmao:

They're both girls though (and Joshua) and Gabby is very responsible. Very.

It's so dependent on each child and the dynamics between the kids.

What is your main concern with them venturing out on their own? What realistically do you think will happen?

Separated, Kolby would absolutely freak I think. Eric could wander for 20 minutes before he even realized he's lost the rest. And then handle it but it would waste time for all reconnecting...assuming people are checking phones, hearing phones, phones are charged, etc. I wouldn't say they are (deliberately) irresponsible...they are just boys who have NO concept of time and forget instructions the minute they are given (I'm the teacher in charlier brown I swear). They nod, repeat, appear to understand and then.

within 5 minutes

Forget/ignore what they were just told to do. They are good kids but easily distracted.

Checking in so I know where I left off:rotfl2:

And here you are Rosie!

I love the Vero Beach mug. We are going to HHI in June - I am hoping to get a mug from there. I wish all the resorts had them.

I'm 11 pages late, but finally here.

I am SO excited for you! I know you are going to have a fabulous time! I didn't realize you were doing a Boardwalk view. Very nice!

You know I absolutely love BWV. I think its still my favorite. We absolutely loved our stay there last month. Totally different view from the one you and I had, yet equally satisfying.

I really loved looking at your flashback pictures. The boys are SO adorable. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll get there. Did I miss much drama? Wait, let me rephrase that - How MUCH drama have I missed? :rotfl2:

Gabby is ultra responsible as is Joshua but Chloe is my flighty one. She's not defiant but definitely more of a free thinker, less bound by what I say. ;) I don't know that I'd allow her to go off without Joshua or Gabby. Again, they hardly stray anyway because they know who holds the money. :rotfl:

If you think they'll get separated than I probably wouldn't do it unless you're all in the same park and have a solid meeting time and place and somewhere that's easy to locate. MK and Epcot have easy landmarks. AK would be a bit more difficult I think. I get lost in AK. :blush:

Oh my! Not sure how I fell so far behind!
I love the first day tradition at MK of haircuts. Em wanted to go to the Harmony Barbershop but didn't make an appointment ahead of time and we couldn't wait since we had plans so she was a bit disappointed. I was a little leery of her getting a trim at a barbershop... what if it didn't go well?? Not sure since I'm sure they are fabulous but I didn't want an emotional teen on my hands if it turned out less than ideal. ;)

Great job with the planning and juggling of said plans and people. I'm in agreement about short leashes and seeing how that goes before expanding the teens/pre-teens horizons. (Everyone knows my position on that one since Em did her first solo park time this last trip at 17.5 yrs old!)

Despite the crowds this will be such a magical and memorable trip. :flower3:

I need more DIS time!! I've gotten caught up on your plans. It all sounds good to me! I hope your travel times work out okay. It always seems to take longer than I plan to get anywhere!

Love the CP - we only stood and watched part of it when we went in Dec. 09 and now I own the CD and listen to it all the time at the holidays. Want to go back really badly! Amy Grant will be awesome!

As to the boys and freedom - my biggest worry would be the crowds at that time of year. I agree with saying same park, meet up, give them a little freedom to go ahead to something...That's what we did with our girls last fall and Sarah was 11.5, Paige 9.5. It went pretty well, but not the same crowd levels as you will see.

Looking forward to more plans, I hope to keep up! No more of this getting on the DIS only once a week!!

I love the Vero Beach mug. We are going to HHI in June - I am hoping to get a mug from there. I wish all the resorts had them.

I loved it too...until it melted in the dishwasher! WAH! I want another one and really really wish it was dishwasher safe. I would get them from all the resorts too. I know SSR has them and I may get one but... the dishwasher thing is a deterrent for sure.

I'm 11 pages late, but finally here.

I am SO excited for you! I know you are going to have a fabulous time! I didn't realize you were doing a Boardwalk view. Very nice!

:welcome: Mary Ellen! You aren't late at all.

I hope the BW view is nice. Some of them are actually obstructed a bit or the wall is really high so...we will see. Request is in!!! Very excited for it though and major fingers crossed.

You know I absolutely love BWV. I think its still my favorite. We absolutely loved our stay there last month. Totally different view from the one you and I had, yet equally satisfying.

I haven't tried everywhere quite yet, still missing BLT and SSR (and am thinking THV doesn't count for a comparison to SSR) but BWV is definitely my favorite. We will see what the family thinks!

I really loved looking at your flashback pictures. The boys are SO adorable. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll get there. Did I miss much drama? Wait, let me rephrase that - How MUCH drama have I missed? :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: No new drama at least

Gabby is ultra responsible as is Joshua but Chloe is my flighty one. She's not defiant but definitely more of a free thinker, less bound by what I say. ;) I don't know that I'd allow her to go off without Joshua or Gabby. Again, they hardly stray anyway because they know who holds the money. :rotfl:

:rotfl2:

Oh I love that..."less bound by what I say". Free thinker.

Yep, that's Eric.

If you think they'll get separated than I probably wouldn't do it unless you're all in the same park and have a solid meeting time and place and somewhere that's easy to locate. MK and Epcot have easy landmarks. AK would be a bit more difficult I think. I get lost in AK. :blush:

The crowds will be ugly. As in phased closure ugly. Although honestly they might have a better chance of not being separated at AK as it is likely to be the least crowded of the bunch. The combination of the crowds and distractions I just think really ramps up the likelihood of separation.

Oh my! Not sure how I fell so far behind!
I love the first day tradition at MK of haircuts. Em wanted to go to the Harmony Barbershop but didn't make an appointment ahead of time and we couldn't wait since we had plans so she was a bit disappointed. I was a little leery of her getting a trim at a barbershop... what if it didn't go well?? Not sure since I'm sure they are fabulous but I didn't want an emotional teen on my hands if it turned out less than ideal. ;)

I'd probably be less likely to let a girl get a cut there. A trim, maybe. Like a bang trim. They do a wonderful boys and mans cut but any kind of styling...not so sure. I'd stick to letting them pixie dust her...they do a high phony on the girls and then spray and glitter them. Very cute. They didn't used to take appointments, we've waited before and it can be a long wait. Probably worse now that they do take appointments, it isn't a big space. Truly though, it's the best haircut Eric has ever had!

Great job with the planning and juggling of said plans and people. I'm in agreement about short leashes and seeing how that goes before expanding the teens/pre-teens horizons. (Everyone knows my position on that one since Em did her first solo park time this last trip at 17.5 yrs old!)

Well if they aren't asking, why allow anyway? I don't think Kendall would ask even now (17.5 herself). Evan though is being relentless. :rotfl2:

Despite the crowds this will be such a magical and memorable trip. :flower3:

It will be. I am grateful that we have a lovely place to retreat to should the crowds overwhelm, that gives me a lot of peace of mind.

I need more DIS time!! I've gotten caught up on your plans. It all sounds good to me! I hope your travel times work out okay. It always seems to take longer than I plan to get anywhere!

I know, no matter how much time I allow, I'm always late! Probably b/c I never leave when I actually intend to....:rotfl:

Love the CP - we only stood and watched part of it when we went in Dec. 09 and now I own the CD and listen to it all the time at the holidays. Want to go back really badly! Amy Grant will be awesome!

I am SOOOOO excited for this!

As to the boys and freedom - my biggest worry would be the crowds at that time of year. I agree with saying same park, meet up, give them a little freedom to go ahead to something...That's what we did with our girls last fall and Sarah was 11.5, Paige 9.5. It went pretty well, but not the same crowd levels as you will see.

Looking forward to more plans, I hope to keep up! No more of this getting on the DIS only once a week!!

we've given the E's quite a bit of freedom on the ships but it hasn't come up in the parks until now. It will have been 16 months since they've been, and that was just AK. Really it will have been 3.5 years since solid park time everywhere else and I am not sure they know as much as they think they do. Not to mention those crowds! I would test it out more were it not for the crowds but ugh...I'm having separation anxiety 6 weeks before we leave.

Not really...but kinda.

I hope to have some special times with my new mug, in the morning, enjoying our boardwalk view. Like this
I am completely confident that you'll succeed. :rotfl2:

I figure we should be able to make it into the FP+ line by 11 even if we let kids sleep later than planned. And nothing wakes you up like a little Aerosmith! I do hope it isn'tt 11 but we will live if its getting close to that.
No better way to make sure everyone is awake and ready to hit DHS running!

My dad will probably just go on Star Tours over and over and over if he can...and slide in an Indy show as well.
Nothing wrong with that plan. :thumbsup2

Me, well I will definitely be checking out that single rider line for RRC!
But that one might be even better... :scratchin

Dinner will take some time. Potentially as long as 3 hours. Frankly, I am not mentioning that to my sister Kerri. I know she is jonesing to head straight to MK, but we all have to eat. I am also not sure how her DH Eric would feel about a meal that lasts that long that is served family style.
Just don't jeopardize their trust in you for the rest of the week... :rolleyes1

As I've never been during the holidays&when are the castle lights turned on?
Around 6.

(yes, like salmon swimming up stream I am sure)
But at least that means those you're fighting your way through won't be fighting you for a spot in line. :confused3

The collective may elect to split up too, some in park and some on the beach, and Im ok with that.
Always a good plan with a large group. :thumbsup2

Kerri plans to be at MK until 2am...nothing like throwing her DH in full throttle on day 1 (for them!). I can't wait to see how THAT plays out.
:scared: Between the 3 hour dinner and that, he might just lose it. :rotfl2::lmao:

If anyone has insight into this aspect&all ideas, input and thought are welcome.
Considering my kids are not that old, I obviously have no experience with this. I'd think that it would be fine, like you said, to give them a short leash within the parks. I'd probably just do that a few times and maybe give them the opportunity to earn a little more freedom if they handle it well. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter