Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

Quite a full day. I think you will be fine time wise but will Guest relations be open before 8 am when the park opens at 9?
I linked my band and in my excitement forgot to go to GS first and yes you need to activate your PAP pass first.

Well, there is some debate about that. Official start hour is 9am (but some seem to think it may open slightly earlier) so my thought (now that I remember my thought mind you...even I can't keep them all straight) was to order, even possibly eat and run over while the rest finish up or relax. I figured if I got there around 8:45 then I might beat lines. If not I can do it all at MK but it'd be nice to have it done and I am quite sure it will be significantly faster to knock it out at the IG, than at MK. I could do it after breakfast and just send the rest on ahead but...I really want us to get there together for that first moment. If breakfast is really fast my other crazy thought is that we all go to the IG at 9 walk into Epcot, maybe see about a Soarin FP for later depending on how late it is already IF paper FP is still working in addition to MB. Or be really crazy and all hit the TT single rider line and then hop the monorail to MK.

Working the system :thumbsup2

I am glad you think the times look ok...you are well versed at packing it in so I appreciate that feedback a ton!

I hope you make it all day and keep to your timeline. ;)

We will see huh! We've done it before so have a pretty good feeling about it but you never know. Last park trip red eye we managed breakfast at WCC, MK, haircuts, pool time and lunch, a stroll on the beach, 4pm room ready, drinks on the balcony (would have been more pool but it rained), AK and then dinner at Sanna. I think it was closer to midnight by the time we got to bed but that was brutal. I did learn NOT to do a resort to resort dinner on arrival day after a red eye. :rotfl2: Amazingly though the kids still remember that dinner fondly and want to go back.

I'm not counting last summer's one as that wasn't a park trip, all we managed that day was pool, lunch on the balcony, pool, dinner ADR and watching the Olympics. BUT we did manage to stay up until 11 that day as well.

Wow that is one intense first day following the redeye!!! I don't know whether to :faint: or :worship:

Possibly both. LOL!

Really though, I don't expect our room to be ready until right at 4, possibly even later given the holidays etc. You never know but I've no expectations of an early room at all. With that you really do have to keep busy or you'll pass out in the lobby or something. We will NOT be going to HOP, Philarmagic or any of the like (not that we'd have time anyway) to try and stave that off. :rotfl: In summer we could go hang at the pool and nap/lounge while we wait but that's not an option in December that we can count on so it's best to keep moving. :rotfl2: I will make them put suits in carryons...just in case.

At the end of the day, I am flexible. If everyone dies and the room is ready, whatever works for the group works for me. This trip isn't about me and lucky for me, I get to have some that are so I can be generous like that. If we bail on stuff, the world will not end (except for the CP package and haircuts). At the end of the day those are really the only things we HAVE to do. But...it is in our best interest to suck it up and plow through and they get it, are vested and pro commando's...all 9 of us for this day. I would never try this with Jeff's family or frankly, with my BIL Eric (so it is good they arrive a day later....except they are sad to miss R&C...and maybe want it for their date night...but haven't made an ADR....:crazy2:).

Breakfast, haircuts, rides, DISmeets right off the bat, two parks, more coordinated meals and closing your evening with the Candlelight Processional......you are really hitting the ground running! :cool1: Hope everyone adjusts to the time change quickly and gets plenty of rest! Can't wait to see what you have in store for them come Day 2! :scared:

CP this night is NOT ideal but...it's either this night or not at all. The 30th is the last night for it and I really really wanted the pre NYE fireworks at the Poly Beach, which meant Ohana for dinner and well, CP on the 30th just didn't fit into that plan at all. Much as I might say or like to think it isn't about me...there are a few things that are and CP is one of them. The one really good thing is that it's an early dinner, at least uber early for us. We typically eat 7:30-8:30 and 5pm FL time will feel like 2 (or lunch) so really as long as Mom and I are ok...the rest can go crash anytime after that as the room will definitely be ready by then. In the past we've tried to eat at normal time the 1st night after the red eye and well...we had some kids whose faces almost fell into their Chicken Tikka. :rotfl2: not helped by waiting forever for cabs back after either. This time at least they can walk home after at any time, a vast improvement.

Day 2 will likely not be rope drop :rotfl2: but then again...if we are in bed by 11 which is very likely, it's not totally out of the question either. That said, I'm NOT booking FP+ for 9am. After that well, they need to get up. Good thing is, they know it. They are all rope drop pro's so that really really helps.

Just reading about your plans & logistics make my head spin! I can't imagine doing all of that for vacation. Did some major planning for a trip to Montana that dealt with two separate airport drops & pickups along the way. That was nothing compared to your plans!

No...that sounds worse. That involves driving and maps. Two things that are not my friend! :rotfl:

Such a great introduction and plan list! :thumbsup2

Your family looks like they are a lot of fun. :goodvibes

Thanks Camille! They are a lot of fun, I rather like them.

I'm exhausted just thinking about the first day!

Jill in CO

See, this is my strategy...run them hard so they SLEEP LIKE ROCKS!

The energy of the cousins combined could...run my car for a month. Sleeping boys means...

Supersonic hearing light sleeper Jeff sleeps

I sleep (Mel sleeps through anything :rotfl2:)

We all make the time change

And all is right with the world.

No...that sounds worse. That involves driving and maps. Two things that are not my friend! :rotfl:

Thanks Camille! They are a lot of fun, I rather like them.

See, this is my strategy...run them hard so they SLEEP LIKE ROCKS!

The energy of the cousins combined could...run my car for a month. Sleeping boys means...

Supersonic hearing light sleeper Jeff sleeps

I sleep (Mel sleeps through anything :rotfl2:)

We all make the time change

And all is right with the world.

:worship::worship::worship:

Jill in CO

Good question! I could get a delivery earlier but the service I like to use is on vacation until the 31st and I'd rather use her and don't really need that much before then. On the 29th, we have a breakfast ADR and an early dinner so figure snacks/counter service over at MK for lunch as needed. For the 30th, I actually plan to pack cereal, oatmeal and coffee so we will just buy some milk at the resort for breakfast. We will pack some other things as well, probably at least one bottle of wine and rum lol. I'm packing the PB&J but not the bread and not everyone will want that so....most likely lunch will need to be CS. It may come down to room. Theoretically I could pack chips and bread, tuna and mayo and maybe get by but the idea of packing lunch meat...probably not going there! Never know though. We plan to check 2 bags and carry on 2-3 so may bring an extra large one and bring more food that way.

On the 31st we will still have the breakfast items that we brought and lunch....with the crowds I am not sure. Our delivery will not be until around 3pm so we will have to figure out something for lunch that day as well. While I could probably save some $$ those first 2 days with lunches delivered...knowing the gang it might be very hard that early in the trip to get them back to the resort for lunch so I figured I'd be ok. If crowds allow (i.e. no closures) we would be able to do an afternoon snack/drink on the 31st before heading into Epcot. Our ADR isn't until 8, first FP+ at 4 so I am hoping we can do an afternoon break/breather from the crowds at the resort

We have never had groceries delivered...we usually rent a car so no need. Do you find that the delivery service is worth it vs. car rental? I've never really priced it. BTW, the last few trips - just in case we can't make it to Publix right away - I bring a package of bagels, a box of pasta, a stick of butter that I have frozen the night before (in a 4 oz. Glad container) and a salt shaker. We don't check bags, so we're more limited that way (i.e. no alcohol until we get to the the store!) Just having that bit of food, it's peace of mind. If I were you, I'd bring the tuna & mayo!

This trip, I've set up DME for both ways, though we have rented a car twice, first from MCO through National for 1 day which will get us from the airport, to Publix (love them!) and to AK the next day (we prefer driving to AK) before turn-in. Then, we'll get a car again halfway through for more groceries (each rental will cost us ~ $40), but most likely we'll be on DME for the ride back to MCO.

I was surprised to see that as well. I love it too, no one else has been and the rest of the gang liked the menu better than flying fish. For 7, and on the weekend, reservations seemed wise.
I agree, the menu is better, and especially for 7 adults, bluezoo (IMHO) is more adult-friendly than FF!

I gotta go read your latest post now....

That is quite the first day you are planning. I am tired only reading about it.

Love your idea of putting your parents on your reservation as well. What a good idea. :thumbsup2

Absolutely love the intros!

So I just found out something new about you....according to your intro pictures, you also like colors from the red/pink family! :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Phew! Your first day sounds filled, yet amazing. I, too, was/is a big Amy Grant fan. I remember in 5th grade, me and my BFF did a talent show to her song, "Hats":cool1:

My parents, likely deliberately lol, have seats at the very back of the plane whereas we are near the front.
And who "deliberately" made the call that you be on opposite ends of the plane? :confused3 :lmao:

Working the System Part 1.
With my nephew Isaac unable to join us it occurred to me that "technically" my villa can hold 9. While my parents are actually staying at the Swan, they are also listed on my BWV reservation. Why? I've got 3 reasons!
Well done! :worship:

I am allergic to.
:headache:

Per Evan, here will be a pre and post barber shop shot!
I'm glad he's still excited about it! :thumbsup2

On day 1, in December, prior to being in our room, after a red eye..yeah, I dont feel like getting wet.
Well, they do tend to turn the "splash" down a little bit during that time of year, but yeah... being tired, possibly irritable, walking around wet. Not exactly my idea of a good time. :lmao:

If time, a shower may be in order but I don't really expect there will be.
I might need that just to wake me up and keep me going

Question is...do I call and 1) change it to 7
No. :rolleyes1

It is a commando day...which honestly helps. A lot. So, really, will the 4 teen energy/excitement feeding off of each other. Historically the wall will hit between 10-11, we will see if that holds true.
It certainly is a commando day! I hope that everyone can sleep well on the plane so that they can make it through the day. It will definitely help out with being able to do things a little more leisurely later in the week as the crowds continue to build.

:worship::worship::worship:

Jill in CO

:lmao:

We have never had groceries delivered...we usually rent a car so no need. Do you find that the delivery service is worth it vs. car rental? I've never really priced it. BTW, the last few trips - just in case we can't make it to Publix right away - I bring a package of bagels, a box of pasta, a stick of butter that I have frozen the night before (in a 4 oz. Glad container) and a salt shaker. We don't check bags, so we're more limited that way (i.e. no alcohol until we get to the the store!) Just having that bit of food, it's peace of mind. If I were you, I'd bring the tuna & mayo!

Well, the service I use charges a flat $10 fee and then a 20% markup on actual cost. I like her as then I am not limited to the list on Garden Grocer or trying to figure it out with WeGo. I've used GG before but the one I use will shop brand specific and I can be a little quirky sometimes about things. I think it depends on how long you'd have a car, how much groceries etc to compare the costs truly. For me, it's the time as much as anything. I don't like spending my vacation time at the grocery store. At a minimum you lose an hour to do that (unless it's on the way from the airport and then it could be less). We don't need a car until the 4th so to get one earlier would either mean the hassle of a one day rental just for groceries for paying for the car for longer. I find the one day rental thing to eat up a lot of time depending on where the pickup/drop off is. Ultimately it all comes down to how much groceries you need :rotfl: for this trip I'll probably be at a $40-50 fee including delivery and markup so the same as the one day rental (ish) but less my time. Since we do have the car anyway for later in the trip for Jeff to go fly, we will do a second run but I don't expect us to need that much other than for the villa dinner that is planned that night...and possible restocking of adult beverages. No matter what I do I will overpack and order something and run out of something else. I need to coordinate the grocery list with my sister in the near future.

This trip, I've set up DME for both ways, though we have rented a car twice, first from MCO through National for 1 day which will get us from the airport, to Publix (love them!) and to AK the next day (we prefer driving to AK) before turn-in. Then, we'll get a car again halfway through for more groceries (each rental will cost us ~ $40), but most likely we'll be on DME for the ride back to MCO.

So you've set up DME but won't actually use it on arrival? I suppose the best thing would be for us to hike to the Hess and get Milk, adult beverages for day 1 but UGH that does not sound like fun. Maybe I can bribe Jeff to go?

:lmao:

We would normally only check one bag, I just have too many liquids these days with various medications for my stupid skin, so we check one for that purpose. Thanks to finally hitting mileage status, we will check 2 which may well increase how much groceries I can pack. Dec is tough though as you need layers.

I agree, the menu is better, and especially for 7 adults, bluezoo (IMHO) is more adult-friendly than FF!

I gotta go read your latest post now....

I think both are pretty good for adult only though at the Holidays FF may have more kids than I experienced while there. I do love FF but Blue Zoo does feel very adult, and away from the Disney craziness and I think for my BIL in particular, it may be very needed by then! Plus they have WAY more interesting adult cocktails!

That is quite the first day you are planning. I am tired only reading about it.

It's only three rides...:rotfl:

Love your idea of putting your parents on your reservation as well. What a good idea. :thumbsup2

I think so, for some reason the idea of them having to do a shuttle, etc was stressing me out. This just makes it SO much easier all around.

Absolutely love the intros!

So I just found out something new about you....according to your intro pictures, you also like colors from the red/pink family! :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Hmmn. I do like red though honestly don't own much from it and always mean to get more. I do have a LOT of orange though. LOVE orange! And yellow. Yellow is my very favorite color though I don't own a ton of it either. Pink...only if it's more on the hot pink/magenta side and generally mixed in with other colors. Generally. Although I seem to be buying more hot pink these days for running gear so perhaps I am in a phase?

Phew! Your first day sounds filled, yet amazing. I, too, was/is a big Amy Grant fan. I remember in 5th grade, me and my BFF did a talent show to her song, "Hats":cool1:

I think it will be good, if it does go as planned we will be too busy to even feel tired until we sit down for dinner. It will be carrying on after dinner that may be a little tough but I'm hopeful given the time change it will still feel so early to all that we will be ok.

Howdy C!

Glad to see you have another trip in the works. I'll be interested to read along to see how the FP+ works for a large group and how touring with multiple families goes.

Looking forward to another E&E report!

And who "deliberately" made the call that you be on opposite ends of the plane? :confused3 :lmao:

Well my dad booked their tickets before we did so I have NO idea why the chose seats at the back of the bus, but they did.

We did not.

I'm glad he's still excited about it! :thumbsup2

Me too! I only hope that Quin doesn't regret his "I refuse to cut my hair" stance that he is currently in. The E's LOVE the barber shop, it is a must do and I do hope it always is, no matter how old they get. Plus, they give a great haircut! I cracked up at Evan's comment that we HAD to get a before and after picture this trip.

Well, they do tend to turn the "splash" down a little bit during that time of year, but yeah... being tired, possibly irritable, walking around wet. Not exactly my idea of a good time. :lmao:

No. Not at all. We will see if the boys change their mind.

I might need that just to wake me up and keep me going

It will really depend on when the room is ready. With a 5:05 ADR, if the room is ready by 4 then we will have time as we are so close but if not...it won't happen. I do hope it is. I hope it is ready before that of course and that we hit that last FP+ right at 2 and can head over but we will see!

It certainly is a commando day! I hope that everyone can sleep well on the plane so that they can make it through the day. It will definitely help out with being able to do things a little more leisurely later in the week as the crowds continue to build.

It is a commando day, one of 2 officially scheduled. The rest will, to a large degree, be as commando or not as people want.

I don't expect anyone to sleep well. As long as they sleep "some" we will likely be ok. At least the 4 of us will. I don't know how Mel and her kids will do. She can power through anything, Kolby has the energy of 10 people. Quin...Quin could end up heading back solo to be honest at some point. The crowds could overwhelm him before the sleep deprivation does. Which if he needs to, is fine. However he has done DL at Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas before and has been just fine as far as I know so I think we will be ok. It is very possible that it may be difficult to pull him away from Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. They will all want to play for sure and I'm not sure that really fits in to day 1...although it could be something he could go pick up for all while haircuts are going on since it is right next door? Maybe?

Hmmmmnnnn

Howdy C!

Glad to see you have another trip in the works. I'll be interested to read along to see how the FP+ works for a large group and how touring with multiple families goes.

Looking forward to another E&E report!

Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:welcome:

I am so happy to see you here!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it will be um...interesting...to say the least!

They will all want to play for sure and I'm not sure that really fits in to day 1...although it could be something he could go pick up for all while haircuts are going on since it is right next door? Maybe?

Hmmmmnnnn
Absolutely! That's a great idea. :thumbsup2 Even if he can't play, that's an extra set of cards for him. And if there is an adult or 2 around to go with him that might not be as interested in playing, he could get even more cards to use later. :rolleyes1

I am already running into it with our Summer Trip. I think I blew their minds when I told them I need firm dining plans by New Years.

:rotfl:

Oh I know how THAT goes!

I needed ours by July 2nd and yeah...didn't have it. What I got was a lot of we trust you and whatever you pick will be fine. So I picked my battles, I pushed them hard on CP...who wanted in and who didn't and then the adult only dinner. The only other feedback I got was my sister opting out of Trails End for a date night. They all say they like what has been chosen so....hope so! Kolby is a ridiculous difficult eater so I planned around that to a large degree. Honestly though between Biergarten and Rose and Crown they were happy enough and didn't much care about the rest.

:thumbsup2

Good luck!!!!

Absolutely! That's a great idea. :thumbsup2 Even if he can't play, that's an extra set of cards for him. And if there is an adult or 2 around to go with him that might not be as interested in playing, he could get even more cards to use later. :rolleyes1

Good point, I am quite sure folks can go over and get adult sets of cards to share with all the kids, great idea!!! You can get the cards one day but use them another? Yes? That is very good to know. I am excited now, I was a bit worried as to what Q would do during this hour...other than drive us all batty being bored and I have a feeling my folks might want to watch the barber and my sister will want to be there to see Kolby get his done.

Good point, I am quite sure folks can go over and get adult sets of cards to share with all the kids, great idea!!! You can get the cards one day but use them another? Yes? That is very good to know. I am excited now, I was a bit worried as to what Q would do during this hour...other than drive us all batty being bored and I have a feeling my folks might want to watch the barber and my sister will want to be there to see Kolby get his done.

Sure! You can even take cards that you have from previous trips and use them. A lot of people are making a big deal of collecting all of them, but as far as the game goes, you can use any and all cards you can get your hands on. It's just that you're only allowed to pick up one pack per day per guest. If he might be interested in the game, he should definitely try to make sure he picks his cards up every time he goes to the MK, even if he won't be playing that day.

It might not work with the magic bands being in place now, but with the KTTW card, I've taken a few of them and grabbed multiple sets of cards for the group before. Not sure whether that might be an option or not. :confused3

We did the CP on Dec 29th in 2009, and found that the Illuminations viewing area included was packed full of people and that we'd walked past much better viewing areas so if you spot a good spot i'd view from there rather than walking to the viewing area which if its still the same place is opposite where the concert is and you don't have much time to get there.

Sure! You can even take cards that you have from previous trips and use them. A lot of people are making a big deal of collecting all of them, but as far as the game goes, you can use any and all cards you can get your hands on. It's just that you're only allowed to pick up one pack per day per guest. If he might be interested in the game, he should definitely try to make sure he picks his cards up every time he goes to the MK, even if he won't be playing that day.

I think they all will be interested..good news is that the adults will actually outnumber the kids here so we can definitely pick up one for each adult and then distribute them out to the kids so they all get 2 sets per time we go. Can you split up the card sets? We will have 5 adults and 4 kids... so the kids could each have 2 but then there is one extra. Maybe that is Quins.

It might not work with the magic bands being in place now, but with the KTTW card, I've taken a few of them and grabbed multiple sets of cards for the group before. Not sure whether that might be an option or not. :confused3

Yes, it will be interesting to see, in theory it all should work on cards too and I am going to try to get both for everyone.

We did the CP on Dec 29th in 2009, and found that the Illuminations viewing area included was packed full of people and that we'd walked past much better viewing areas so if you spot a good spot i'd view from there rather than walking to the viewing area which if its still the same place is opposite where the concert is and you don't have much time to get there.

Good point and I have heard that as well. CP is at 8:15, Illuminations isn't until 10:30, how long does CP last?

Can you split up the card sets?
::yes::
You can split them and trade them. With as many potential cards as there should be in play for the group, they can even trade cards with each other if they get multiples of the same one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter