Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

OK, it took me a while, but I made it over here. I'll be back to read the second installment about the Clan. Your first post made me cry. I only have one sister (who lives near you) and her husband won't get on a plane unless he is falling down drunk, so they don't travel. They claim it's because they don't have vacation time or money, but as so many here have said, if it's important you make the time.

We get away with my parents, but I'm envious of you having such a close knit large family. I know there are the trying times which you have already vented to us about occasionally, but this will be such a rewarding and lifetime memory making trip for you and all your family. Good for you for going through the pains to organize it so that everyone has a great time.

I'll look forward to hearing about the rest of the plans falling into place!

I'm the eldest of 6, also; my dad's an only child, as is my DH! I'm not as close to my sibs as you are, though, despite the fact that we all live within an hour of each other....

:welcome: Carolyn! You have been a huge help with insight into our dates, I know you will have some good input on our plans.

Well, your advice about AP vouchers definitely helped us:thumbsup2
The crowds won't. I do hope the weather allows for resort and pool time but I have a feeling that for the adults (other than the occasional jacuzzi), it will not.
Yaay for heated pools! We have visited several times during Christmas and/or NY, and I just took a look back at my trip notes, regarding weather - you will need to pack for a range of temps between 40s and 70s according to our past experience (with some evenings making it into 30s). Kinda sucks, but there should be some swimmable days!

If you are interesting in being in on our photopass too, let me know :) (Carolyn, you too if you want to do a share!)
That's very nice; we've never done photopass so probably won't this time, either, but thanks!

Four pages in! I am here, even though i have finished Aulani!

Loved the bat signal!

:welcome: Mary Ellen!

Oh my gosh i just read your intro post. What great pics of the boys and what a great tribute to your family friend. This is going to be one heck of a trip!!

Aren't they so little there?? It will be a heck of a trip I think

subbing will go back to read!!!

:welcome: Rosie!

More great pics!!! Seems like a very lively crew!! Sounds like we had the same experience at Disney with Grandparents that Jeff did. I also have asked to take my niece same age as my oldest but it was a no go. We are all supposed to take a family cruise to Alaska in July....I cant wait to hear your plans-especially dining!!

Lively is definitely appropriate. :lmao:

I am sure if I, or my folks, were paying 100% for my nephew we could bring him but no one has quite that much extra. My folks are taking him to New Orleans for spring break so he does have that coming up. I just feel they are favoring one of their kids (financially) over the other. I get that they don't see this as important as the other situation but I'm pretty positive my nephew doesn't feel that way. He's made it really clear he wants to go. I'm just mad at my brother is what it comes down to. As are my parents and sisters. It's kind of classic and while I love him...I'd like to strangle him too. He's made a lot of really selfish choices the last couple of years and his inability to send his son is a direct result. He finds money to spend on other things, trust me.

Sorry. Off soapbox.

I'm giggling at the big crews talk. After my great-grandparents health went down hill about 10 years ago, we haven't done the big family reunions like we use to every year. MawMaw has a touch of dementia and anymore than 2-3 people at a time throws her for a loop.

But you still have your GG's, how amazing is that!!

My great-grandmother was one of 9 kids. Her and my great- grandfather got married and pregnant before he went off to give his life in WWII. My grandpa grew up feeling like the 10th sibling. Then my great-grandmother married my great grand-fathers first cousin. (Boy, did I think I was opening up a can of worms when I had to do a family tree and realized she had been married twice, but we all had the same names.) They had 5 other kids... and now all the kids have kids... and some of those kids have kids.... and two of those (me and my 1st cousin) have two for the newest generation... It's a little insane to think we still have that many over 5 generations. My DF has only met the great-grandmother and the 1st cousins... I'm a little afraid for him when we start having family reunions again.

:lmao: I can relate. My GG on my mom's side was one of 14. She was actually my GGP's 2nd wife, his first, my GG's older her sister, died quite young. So....my great aunt and uncle were also my grandma's cousins as well as half siblings. We used to go to reunions for that side of the family and it was insane!!!!!

Loved the intro !!I have to say Disney can certainly make or break a relationship!! I can't imagine how I would feel if someone spoiled my Disney time !!Glad Jeff passed the Disney family trip test successfully!!

Why they would be OUT if they couldn't love Disney! :lmao: He did pass the test. Of course it probably didn't hurt that the 2nd day, we went to KSC or that we lucked into our week being during Food and Wine and we'd had no idea and that our one night on property after a red eye, had the room ready when we got there. Lots of pixie dust that week to make for an amazing trip.

Great update! :)

Thanks!

The guys sure look good in their kilts. I know quite a few kilt wearers.

They do, it takes a strong man to wear a kilt!

OK, it took me a while, but I made it over here. I'll be back to read the second installment about the Clan. Your first post made me cry. I only have one sister (who lives near you) and her husband won't get on a plane unless he is falling down drunk, so they don't travel. They claim it's because they don't have vacation time or money, but as so many here have said, if it's important you make the time.

Aw, thanks Alison and :welcome:!

It is frustrating isn't it? We have similar issues with Jeff's folks on both sides. All are retired. And yet we are the ones that have to go visit them, and get the guilt trip if we do not. Don't get me wrong, we love to visit them but the cost to take 4-6 of us to Denver or SF is a LOT more than for 2 of them to come see us! Not to mention we are not retired and it eats up vacation days!

We get away with my parents, but I'm envious of you having such a close knit large family. I know there are the trying times which you have already vented to us about occasionally, but this will be such a rewarding and lifetime memory making trip for you and all your family. Good for you for going through the pains to organize it so that everyone has a great time.

I'll look forward to hearing about the rest of the plans falling into place!

Well spouses "try" us too at times don't they? And kids too! LOL. Sure, we all have things that irritate the other but at the end of the day there isn't one member of the clan who wouldn't walk through fire for the other. We see each other quite often, 4 of the kids usually are together once a week. It is nice and we do all realize how lucky we are to be "relatively" drama free and actually enjoy each other. Even though we are all annoyed at my brother at the moment, we do love him to death. And I suppose you never know, he could pull through on this.

Here! Going back to read. :)

Hi Camille! :welcome:

:goodvibes

I'm the eldest of 6, also; my dad's an only child, as is my DH! I'm not as close to my sibs as you are, though, despite the fact that we all live within an hour of each other....

Sibling relationships are funny, I have different ones with them than they have each other. All are close in different ways and it kind of moves around a bit. I don't think you have to live near each other to be close, part of it is a state of mind and communication. I have 2 siblings that don't live remotely close by, one I feel very close to and the other not so much.

Well, your advice about AP vouchers definitely helped us:thumbsup2

Yaay for heated pools! We have visited several times during Christmas and/or NY, and I just took a look back at my trip notes, regarding weather - you will need to pack for a range of temps between 40s and 70s according to our past experience (with some evenings making it into 30s). Kinda sucks, but there should be some swimmable days!

I am so glad that helped. I really kind of hate having to do it at all but am feeling a bit forced and yet at the same time, if I don't, we will really really regret it. Of course it may all be a bit moot as several in the group have yet to get tickets so I can only do FP+ for some.

That's about the weather I am expecting. We went President's week one year, upper 40's -80! Layers. We swam twice on that trip, and one night I wore a parka! It sucks from a packing perspective though, big time!

That's very nice; we've never done photopass so probably won't this time, either, but thanks!

No worries!

Ahh!! I'm here!!! AND my mom and I will be in the World January 1-4!!!!! This is so exciting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Before we get into the day by day plan in detail, lets take a peek at the entire BFP at a glance shall we?

As of today, here is what things look like. I currently have each park with FP+ twice but this certainly could change. I can only book full FP+ for me. 5 of the rest have 5 day hoppers so I can book 5 days of FP for them, the rest do not have their tickets yet.

ADR wise it breaks down like this
Breakfast/Brunch. 2. Both new meals but not new restaurants (for me anyway)
Lunch. 2. New for the Es & Jeff
Dinner. 6. All new to everyone but us (I think&not positive about Biergarten). Of those, 3 are new to me and the E's, and 4 to Jeff

Saturday December 28
Everyone except for Kerri and Eric fly out on a red eye. 2 different flights, one direct and one not but all landing about the same time Sunday morning (6:15 am ish). Assuming no delays we all "should" be on the same DME

Sunday December 29
MDE to resort, check in to BWV/Swan, breakfast at Captains Grille
AM at MK (FP+), Haircuts at Harmony Barber Shop
PM at Epcot, dinner at Rose & Crown, Candlelight Processional

Monday December 30
AM at DHS (FP+), Kerri and Eric arrive after red rye
PM at MK, Dinner at Ohana, "pre" NYE fireworks from Poly Beach

Tuesday December 31
AM at AK or ?
Grocery delivery from Kelly (lunch, breakfasts, snacks and adult bevs).
PM at Epcot (FP+), Dinner at Biergarten, NYE at Epcot

Wednesday January 1
AM at AK (FP+), Girls Tea at GF
Dinner at Trails End for all but Kerri and Eric (who have a date night...somewhere), check out Fort Decorations

Thursday January 2
Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter), Breakfast at Three Broomsticks, Dinner at Margaritaville

Friday January 3
AM Possible water park, weather permitting
PM at DHS (FP+), Adult only dinner at Blue Zoo

Saturday January 4
Move to THV
Possible solo DHS morning for C and J (FP+) until 11, pick up rental car from Swolphin, hit grocery store
Universal Studios for Tom, Kathi, Mel and all boys. Kerri and Eric doing solo adult stuff. Jeff possibly flying, C meet rest at Universal after grocery/check in etc. Dinner in Villa

Sunday January 5
AM DTD, Brunch at Raglan Road
Possible Disney Quest for the boys
Kerri & Eric, Melissa and her boys DME to airport and fly home. Jeff possibly flying
PM MK (FP+), Dinner at BOG

Monday January 6
Tom and Kathi check out, Jeff likely flying
AM at AK (FP+), Lunch at Les Chefs for me and the E's
Possible mini golf (surprise for E's), Dinner at Olivia's

Tuesday January 7
Check out, bags to DME
AM at Epcot, return rental car to Swolphin
Lunch at Via Napoli
DME to airport WAH!!!!!!!!!

Up next...Day 1 in detail, and working the system... part 1 :goodvibes

Which waterpark is open while you're there? Blizzard Beach is early December, and then it swaps sometimes in January. I'm too lazy to look. Not sure if you knew one was closed, just wanted to mention it. Mini golf, I still need to do mini golf! The only time I've ever done it down in WDW was when I was 6, I'm in need of a do over :rotfl:

Great plans. How long does Jeff fly? Is it far away?

Who moves to the THV?

Thank you for clarifying the boys are full siblings. I think I just woke up my neighbors from laughing.
Great intros.
The BFP’s look great.

Saturday December 28
Everyone except for Kerri and Eric fly out on a red eye. 2 different flights, one direct and one not but all landing about the same time Sunday morning (6:15 am ish). Assuming no delays we all "should" be on the same DME

Sunday December 29
MDE to resort, check in to BWV/Swan, breakfast at Captains Grille
AM at MK (FP+), Haircuts at Harmony Barber Shop
PM at Epcot, dinner at Rose & Crown, Candlelight Processional

Monday December 30
AM at DHS (FP+), Kerri and Eric arrive after red rye
PM at MK, Dinner at Ohana, "pre" NYE fireworks from Poly Beach

Tuesday December 31
AM at AK or ?
Grocery delivery from Kelly (lunch, breakfasts, snacks and adult bevs).
PM at Epcot (FP+), Dinner at Biergarten, NYE at Epcot

Wednesday January 1
AM at AK (FP+), Girls Tea at GF
Dinner at Trails End for all but Kerri and Eric (who have a date night...somewhere), check out Fort Decorations

Thursday January 2
Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter), Breakfast at Three Broomsticks, Dinner at Margaritaville

Friday January 3
AM Possible water park, weather permitting
PM at DHS (FP+), Adult only dinner at Blue Zoo

We will see you sometime between the beginning and end of these days. Let us know when you and Jennifer H. decide on something, and we may crash that meet. If not, we will work something out sometime on one of the other days.

Plans look good !! Figuring FP+ is a PAIN!!!!

Yes. It is. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. For the most part I'm using it for afternoon/evenings and assuming a different park in the AM.

Which waterpark is open while you're there? Blizzard Beach is early December, and then it swaps sometimes in January. I'm too lazy to look. Not sure if you knew one was closed, just wanted to mention it.

It is TL. Which for us is a bit of a bummer as we've only been to TL (twice) and the kids would prefer to try BB. But since I don't really expect it to even happen, I am not worrying about it all that much!

Mini golf, I still need to do mini golf! The only time I've ever done it down in WDW was when I was 6, I'm in need of a do over :rotfl:

We have never done it and I know the E's would love it. It's definitely a play by ear option but would be a fun surprise for them if it works out.

Great plans. How long does Jeff fly? Is it far away?

It is about 30 - 60 minutes away and it could really vary, 2-4 hours per day I'd assume. It's still a little early for him to coordinate. Probably early December.

Who moves to the THV?

Everyone in our villa. The folks at the Swan will stay there but our whole villa moves. A bit of a pita for my sister and her boys as it is only one night for them but this is really for the E's. They are DYING to staying a Treehouse with their cousins, so they will get that, even if it is only for one night. I considered trying to change the split from a 6/3 to a 5/4 which would make the boys happy but did not make Jeff happy and takes us farther away from everyone at the Swan. Pro's and cons to it but I do think it will be kind of nice to have all that lovely space for just the 4 of us for 2 nights once the rest clear out.

Typhoon is open BB is on refurb....

Yes, I really wish it was the other way around. Well, the boys wish. I vastly prefer the theming at TL but the boys are dying to see BB. Probably irrelevant though.

Thank you for clarifying the boys are full siblings. I think I just woke up my neighbors from laughing.
Great intros.
The BFP’s look great.

I guess I am glad you are amused but have no idea what is remotely funny about that. I've been asked more times than I can count if they are.

We will see you sometime between the beginning and end of these days. Let us know when you and Jennifer H. decide on something, and we may crash that meet. If not, we will work something out sometime on one of the other days.

I will definitely let you know and think the odds of our crossing paths are very high no matter what :goodvibes very much looking forward to it!

The BFP is looking good! :thumbsup2. Just love the parks this time of year. Extra magic!!

I am very excited to see the parks for the holidays, have never been and know it will be magical!

Love the BFP overview!! I am going to have to pay close attention to your PTR. Lots of learning opportunities. The FP+, the magic bands, the transfer and the car... ::yes:: I need to learn more about all of these. Sounds like you are all going to have the BEST time!!!

The plan looks great; just wondering, how are you doing breakfasts/lunches the first couple of days before the grocery delivery?

We love bluezoo, I was actually surprised to see we could make reservations directly through MDE, so that's already set up (usually we just call the restaurant the day of for a ressie).

I'm liking this MDE so far, because we are never in a park long enough to get 3 FP's (spoiled by APs)!! Though, DH had to start over with all our FP+s yesterday - we had made some through me and some through him, and despite the fact that we're all linked, under my name it didn't show 4 people for the ones that DH had set up for all of us.... Seems to me it shouldn't matter, if all in the party are linked?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter