Word of Warning re MDE App/Disney Dining Buddy

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
I'm using Disney Dining Buddy to try and get a lunch reservation for Be Our Guest. I already have a 9:55 breakfast the day I'm looking for a lunch and plan on canceling the breakfast if I can get a lunch. I received a notice today from DDB that there was a lunch available at 10:30 so I immediately went to reserve on the MDE app. However, the app made me cancel my breakfast first (not surprising) but didn't at the same time hold the lunch (like the regular website does), so that after I canceled breakfast and tried to reserve the lunch it was already gone, probably to someone else who received the DDB notification as well. Luckily I was immediately able to re-book the breakfast I canceled. I will continue to hold out for a lunch but didn't know this would happen. So keep in mind that when you go to book there are probably many other people receiving the same notification if for something particularly popular.

Good point. The app is probably best used when you have an open time slot that you are trying to fill with a hard to get ressie.

A big risk if you need to cancel one (that you don't want to lose) unless you're absolutely sure you have the new more preferred reservation held.

Dan

I'm using Disney Dining Buddy to try and get a lunch reservation for Be Our Guest. I already have a 9:55 breakfast the day I'm looking for a lunch and plan on canceling the breakfast if I can get a lunch. I received a notice today from DDB that there was a lunch available at 10:30 so I immediately went to reserve on the MDE app. However, the app made me cancel my breakfast first (not surprising) but didn't at the same time hold the lunch (like the regular website does), so that after I canceled breakfast and tried to reserve the lunch it was already gone, probably to someone else who received the DDB notification as well. Luckily I was immediately able to re-book the breakfast I canceled. I will continue to hold out for a lunch but didn't know this would happen. So keep in mind that when you go to book there are probably many other people receiving the same notification if for something particularly popular.

Yep, same thing happened to me the first time I tried to book BOG dinner following a DDB notification. I had a conflicting dinner scheduled at Kona Cafe, and unfortunately I ended up losing out on both because my Kona Cafe ressie was gone when I tried to go back and re-book. I did end up getting a BOG dinner reservation through DDB a few weeks later, and this time I had the spot open (I didn't bother booking anything in the dinner spot after I lost the Kona reservation).

DS tried to change an ADR for dinner from one place to another and he had to cancel the one he had before MDE let him make another. I think if you go to the official web site and make and ADR through there it many not be a problem.

DS tried to change an ADR for dinner from one place to another and he had to cancel the one he had before MDE let him make another. I think if you go to the official web site and make and ADR through there it many not be a problem.

It's not just the app. It has the same issue with the online reservation system. They don't want you holding reservations all over the place if they know you can't make it to all of them. They want to limit people "holding reservations" in the system that will ultimately be cancelled.

I have always used the website to make ADRs and have not had issues with them canceling the first reservation if the new one was already snatched up. In fact, I remember seeing a message that states they will not cancel the first ADR until the second is booked.

In fact, I remember seeing a message that states they will not cancel the first ADR until the second is booked.

This.

Also, for those who use these services, its worth checking DDA first before your use Buddy or Scout. If you see something that fits your schedule there, you don't have to worry about 10,000 other people getting a text the same time as you.

It's not just the app. It has the same issue with the online reservation system. They don't want you holding reservations all over the place if they know you can't make it to all of them. They want to limit people "holding reservations" in the system that will ultimately be cancelled.

You are correct that Disney wants to limit people "holding reservations", but when you use the online reservation system it advises that you have a conflicting dining reservation and do you want to cancel the original reservation before it will proceed. I assume it takes your new choice out of circulation for that time being.

I had to call to make the reservation completely separate from mom's mde for just my daughter and I because mde wanted to default to my moms name and she already had a reservation then. Then I went back in to mde and linked it. So, does dbd not allow you to book without it being linked to your existing MDE?

I had to call to make the reservation completely separate from mom's mde for just my daughter and I because mde wanted to default to my moms name and she already had a reservation then. Then I went back in to mde and linked it. So, does dbd not allow you to book without it being linked to your existing MDE?
Were you trying to book the reservation for you and your daughter under your Mom's MDE account or yours?

My mom's mde because we booked the extended family all under one MDE in her name. So when I book through MDE online her name always shows up. Since she already had a reservation it wouldn't let me make a new one. I called and they told me that is how the system works, but to just book it separately and link it back. Which they did for me while we were on the phone. No big deal. I have never used DBD so I don't know how it works. Do you actually book through DBD or is it just alerting you and you log back into your MDE and make the reservation? It seems like there should be a way to do what I did so that you don't lose the original reservation while trying to secure the second.

My mom's mde because we booked the extended family all under one MDE in her name. So when I book through MDE online her name always shows up. Since she already had a reservation it wouldn't let me make a new one. I called and they told me that is how the system works, but to just book it separately and link it back. Which they did for me while we were on the phone. No big deal. I have never used DBD so I don't know how it works. Do you actually book through DBD or is it just alerting you and you log back into your MDE and make the reservation? It seems like there should be a way to do what I did so that you don't lose the original reservation while trying to secure the second.
I just started using Disney Dining Scout, but I believe Buddy works the same way. It is not linked to a MDE account, it is only notifying you that a reservation is available and you would need to log in to MDE and book it from there.

You could create your own MDE account and book from there if you wanted to have separate ADRs for the same time frames.

Also, Disney is not supposed to cancel the first reservation until the second reservation is booked... but maybe there is a glitch and that doesn't always happen. But if you had enough time to call and make the 2nd reservation without it being snatched up, I don't think the issue the OP had would have happened to you.

We are all using the same to make logistics easier. I am setting it up for 5 different family units. All of whom will have different desires for fast passes and food. I wanted it all in one place so we could see where everyone was when we went to make our dining reservations and fast passes. I am somewhat new to MDE so I spent a long time on the phone with them setting it up. I wanted each family to have their own MDE and connect them to my moms. But, that was difficult for a lot of people to manage together when they really don't care to know how the system works. This way I just log in and set everyone up for everything then they can come back and cancel it if they don't want to Ride THAT ride at least not with THAT person.....

I just looked at Disney Dining Buddy..so $8. No thanks. But then there aren't any must do's for me either.

So, since it is not linked to your MDE, you can create a different MDE or just call and make the reservation with no MDE and then link the reservation number back. <I snicker to myself as I notice 'just call' and realize a call to Disney is never 'just' and who calls these days anyway>

I've used DDB numerous times over the past months to secure multiple ADRs.
My advice:
Sign up for the text alerts, then click on to their link when you get your notification.
It takes you to the MDE sight to log in (my info is saved) and it allows you to book it, or assign a new name if you already have an existing ADR at the same time.
BUT, I have been allowed to book it, regardless if I had an ADR already booked, I just went in immediately and canceled the one I didn't need, b4 Disney did it for me. :teeth:
Also, keep the alerts coming, if you get a time that is close to what you want, but maybe not exact.
Got my Ohana, TH and CM for the EXACT times I wanted. :thumbsup2

I've been able to book all sorts of reservations through the app without needing to cancel existing reservations. If I try on the website & there is a conflict I get the warnings but not on the app. I've been able to book reservations at the same places within 10 minutes of each other on the app & the app doesn't work to cancel them I have to go on the website to cancel.

I think I understand what you are saying now! So everyone in the party does have a MDE since you are booking FP+ for them. Did you try booking the dining reservation under your MDE then linking your mom as one of the guests? I'm not sure if that works (and I'm sure it's answered on this board somewhere), but it's worth a try rather than having to make a phone call.

And the price is exactly why I didn't use Buddy. Scout is much more reasonable IMO.

Sorry multi-quote obviously didn't work- this post was in reply to @IWantDisney

i'd be Leary of this app.

First, Disney Dining Buddy isn't an app, it's a service. Second, many of us have used it successfully with no problems to obtain hard-to-get ADRs. I'd rather pay them $8 to essentially check frequently for me than spend hours upon hours stalking the Disney website on my own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter