• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Woohoo, The Northern Lights/Golden Compass Film is out!!

I get the impression you're a little bit excited Matt?? :yay:

I can't go tomorrow as DBF has got a job interview on Thursday and so wants to stay in the night before.

:yay: IT'S OUT!!! :yay:

Anyone that is going soon, please give a review of the film for us (hiding any spoilers for those yet to go see or even read the book). Thanks. :)

I get the impression you're a little bit excited Matt?? :yay:

What makes you think that? :rolleyes1 :lmao: :yay:

I can't go tomorrow as DBF has got a job interview on Thursday and so wants to stay in the night before.

It's OK. :) It'll still be there. :goodvibes

I won't be going until Saturday 15th so looking forward to reading some reviews on here before then. :goodvibes

Here we are, a Review!! :goodvibes

For Someone Who has read the books, I enjoyed how they managed to tell the story to someone else. They managed to explain the major concepts of the film in less than 5 minutes, and managed to explain gaps in my own knowledge!! :thumbsup2

The only downside is what I am putting in White, so highlight if you dare.

It is annoying how the changed the order of the whole movie, and even the ending too. I was saying for awhile "That didn't happen!" and "No, it's not called ___" etc while they were talking through.

Despite all the film's flaws, it was a good experience, and if it managed to convert people who had zero knowledge of the books at all to His Dark Materials, you know it's good! :goodvibes

I'm going to see it this weekend so won't read your highlighted part until afterwards.

I really enjoyed the book so I'm looking forward to watching the film. I've now started The Subtle Knife which I'm enjoying even more. :)

I am thinking of giving it a miss ~ I am a book person so don't think I will enjoy someone else interpretation of it. I too will be like "no thats is not right" lol:rotfl:

Matt, I agree entirely with your highlighted comments ~ yesterday I was really annoyed :rotfl: but today I realise it probably did help the film flow better for those who haven't read the book and (hopefully) set the scene for the next film.

I'm glad I went to see it, I really enjoyed it ~ I'm pleased they managed to get some of the quotes from the book in and now I want a daemon of my own more than ever!!! :rotfl2:

I saw it last night and thought it was OK. DH who hasn't read the books enjoyed it more than I did. I found the story telling bits rather annoying, but I suppose it was the only way to get so much info into a relatively short film. My biggest problem though was that I didn't warm to the child actors playing Lyra and Roger, so didn't really care what happened to their characters.

The ending was a bit cheeky though, I suppose they didn't change it but ...

All in all I'll give it 7/10, it was a pleasant evening out.

I'm glad I saw it - thanks Matt I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't been raving about it.

Libby

I'm glad I went to see it, I really enjoyed it ~ I'm pleased they managed to get some of the quotes from the book in and now I want a daemon of my own more than ever!!! :rotfl2:

I thought how it was need how they put them in..

...And showed the pixiedust: as they Died. :rotfl:

Sneaky Directors! I've just noticed an Excellent Reference! Highlighted to avoid spoilers

In the begining parts where Lyra is going through to the Retiring Room, Pan see a regular cat and shapeshifts into a regular cat to scare it. He then says "That's odd; that cat acted like they never saw a daemon before", which references to the Subtle Knife because of the cat in Will's world that shows him how to get into Cittagraze!

AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup2

I haven't seen the film yet but I just finished all 3 books (only got them because of the film trailers!) in ereader format. Not bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter