• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Wondering" if We'll Be On the Wonder November 16, 2013

We are not telling the kids until the morning of. My brother lives a hour 1/2 from galveston so we will tell them we are going to Bay City and spend the night there on Friday. Hoping to drive up and surprise them when they see the ship!

That's awesome! I love surprising the kids. I hope you get it on video :)

Oh, and welcome aboard for the next 58 sleeps!!!

Hi everyone! We finally got our room assignment this afternoon. We booked a 7A GTY and was assigned a 5B room, midship. We are super excited and the cruise cannot get here soon enough. If you haven't checked yet, it should be under your reservation summary. Hoping you all are blessed with magical pixie dust like we were!

Way to go! I've just about worn out my keyboard logging in today but so far no stateroom assignment. :sad:

And then checked again but nope, still nothing. I guess they're leaving the *GTs to last :(

Got two of the passport applications sent off, have to wait for the dd's new (First) driver's license to come in to get her's sent off. Dh said that's it now we have to go since we are getting passports. Just 56 more days. So much to do.......

Got two of the passport applications sent off, have to wait for the dd's new (First) driver's license to come in to get her's sent off. Dh said that's it now we have to go since we are getting passports. Just 56 more days. So much to do.......
I have to send off my application too. Cruise time will be here before we know it.

The clerk at the post office said people with a short form birth certificate from Texas and California might need to order a long form just in case they do not accept the short form. Now I have to order to more birth certificates just in case.:coffee:

The clerk at the post office said people with a short form birth certificate from Texas and California might need to order a long form just in case they do not accept the short form. Now I have to order to more birth certificates just in case.:coffee:

For my kids I had to order the long form ( we love in Houston). They did not accept the short form. Not sure the exact reason though.

It's a beautiful cool day in Texas if you can believe it!

What is a port arrival time?
With RCL we always show up at 10:30-11:00 and pretty much board immediately. Disney says I can't show up until 1:30? I wonder if this is true for Galveston? Last year I dropped my kids with my parents at 11:00 and they got right on.

Also, on the passport thing. Children are only valid for 5 years (minus 6 months because they almost always want them to be valid for 6 months after your return date) which makes them pretty pricey. We travel a lot so they are worth it to us but something to consider if you don't plan on traveling outside of the country. We are just within the six month so will have to renew soon. I do love looking at the pictures of my kids though, they look nothing like their pictures anymore, such baby faces.

We were on Magic last year out of Galveston and someone was able to find what night's were what (formal, Pirate) AND what movies were playing.

We will be sailing with brother, wife, daughter, husband, 3 grandchildren all meeting from CT and MO.

It's a beautiful cool day in Texas if you can believe it!

What is a port arrival time?
With RCL we always show up at 10:30-11:00 and pretty much board immediately. Disney says I can't show up until 1:30? I wonder if this is true for Galveston? Last year I dropped my kids with my parents at 11:00 and they got right on.

You can change your port arrival time online. We've scheduled for the 1:30 slot, but slots are open at 12(noon) earlier is all booked up.

It has been posted on the Web page---Jamaica night will be Pirate night. If you don't have a costume each place setting gets a small bandana, but this is so soon after Halloween many people are dressed up.

Sorry to join the party so late and hope we still can. We booked today! This is just a mom and little daughter trip - my youngest daughter is 11 and her older sister has been on several other trips so it is her turn.

This will be my 18th Disney Cruise and Kimberly's 15th.

Does anyone know how to go about or where to book a hotel for the day before? We are coming in on the friday evening and I am wondering if it is more advantageous to stay near the airport and take the disney shuttle in the next day or to stay near the port at a hotel. Never sailed from Galveston so this will be a new experience for us.

Denise:cheer2:

Welcome aboard! Great to see some fellow Canadians making the trek to Texas. Hmmm, escaping Ontario in November? Great idea! :thumbsup2

Which airport are you flying into? DCL only offers transfers to/from Bush (IAH) and not Hobby, but Hobby is closer anyway. We booked a flight into IAH because it was cheaper, but what we saved is now being spent on a car service so guess we should have stuck with Hobby LOL...

There's a link to the FB group a few pages back. There's FE groups being organized if you want to join :)

Oh yeah, and only 53 more sleeps!!! :cool1:

Hi All, Just learned about this site and first time I had time to post. My husband, son (11) and I are booked for this cruise. I'm trying to read all the posts and have gotten overwhelmed. so if I just put some questions here maybe someone can post an answer...

1. What does FE mean? In many of the posts.
2. The passport and "long form" birth certificate questions concern me. I've applied for PP renewal and first time PP for my husband and son. With the potential gov shut down the processing could be impacted. So I'm the only one with a BC and what is a long form vs a short form. OMG, how do I get something I may not have?
3. Did I understand that my boarding time is dictated (scheduled)? How do I figure that out?
4. Booked through Travelocity for a little better rate and additional on board credits. So want to note on reservation we are celebrating my son's 11th birthday. When we did the park to celebrate his birthday he got a big pin to wear and birthday ears. Does the staff do anything on boat, or is it not worth my time to call Disney res.
5. Since I'm a first time cruiser I'm getting tons of advise... get dramamine patches... don't pack much you won't change out of your swim suit... etc. What is your advice for a first time cruiser?
6. My husband is a native Texan and lives on Dr. Pepper. I'm sure it flows through his blood. Do they serve it on board or can I bring a case or 2 with me?
7. Parking at Dock seems expensive so thinking about staying at a hotel night before and leaving car there. Anyone have any advise on that? Are most hotels safe?
8. I'm so excited about this trip, what else do I need to know?
9. Trying to book excursions. really wanted to do Mayan ruins but they seem booked already. How do I pick an excursion and is there a chance the Mayan ruins will open up.
10. I have nightmares about the boat leaving me at a foreign country when I get off for my excursion. Please tell me this is an unfounded / unrealistic fear. How do things work when I get off the boat, will a disney rep be with us on the excursion?

Thanks,
Carol

Welcome aboard! Great to see some fellow Canadians making the trek to Texas. Hmmm, escaping Ontario in November? Great idea! :thumbsup2

Which airport are you flying into? DCL only offers transfers to/from Bush (IAH) and not Hobby, but Hobby is closer anyway. We booked a flight into IAH because it was cheaper, but what we saved is now being spent on a car service so guess we should have stuck with Hobby LOL...

There's a link to the FB group a few pages back. There's FE groups being organized if you want to join :)

Oh yeah, and only 53 more sleeps!!! :cool1:

Hey .. I am in the same boat (no pun intended) LOL - I need to find transportation the night before from Bush (IAH) airport - we come in around 7:00 p.m. - I was looking to see if there was anyone who wanted to share a ride. Man... transportation from that airport seems difficult in comparison to all the other ports we have been at ( and expensive)

I am almost tempted to just stay at an airport hotel and then have the disney bus take us in the day of the cruise. What time are you in and what have you decided to do?

Denise

Hi All, Just learned about this site and first time I had time to post. My husband, son (11) and I are booked for this cruise. I'm trying to read all the posts and have gotten overwhelmed. so if I just put some questions here maybe someone can post an answer...

1. What does FE mean? In many of the posts.
2. The passport and "long form" birth certificate questions concern me. I've applied for PP renewal and first time PP for my husband and son. With the potential gov shut down the processing could be impacted. So I'm the only one with a BC and what is a long form vs a short form. OMG, how do I get something I may not have?
3. Did I understand that my boarding time is dictated (scheduled)? How do I figure that out?
4. Booked through Travelocity for a little better rate and additional on board credits. So want to note on reservation we are celebrating my son's 11th birthday. When we did the park to celebrate his birthday he got a big pin to wear and birthday ears. Does the staff do anything on boat, or is it not worth my time to call Disney res.
5. Since I'm a first time cruiser I'm getting tons of advise... get dramamine patches... don't pack much you won't change out of your swim suit... etc. What is your advice for a first time cruiser?
6. My husband is a native Texan and lives on Dr. Pepper. I'm sure it flows through his blood. Do they serve it on board or can I bring a case or 2 with me?
7. Parking at Dock seems expensive so thinking about staying at a hotel night before and leaving car there. Anyone have any advise on that? Are most hotels safe?
8. I'm so excited about this trip, what else do I need to know?
9. Trying to book excursions. really wanted to do Mayan ruins but they seem booked already. How do I pick an excursion and is there a chance the Mayan ruins will open up.
10. I have nightmares about the boat leaving me at a foreign country when I get off for my excursion. Please tell me this is an unfounded / unrealistic fear. How do things work when I get off the boat, will a disney rep be with us on the excursion?

Thanks,
Carol

Hi Carol,

I am glad you are excited and you should be!! Disney is awesome to cruise with as they really know how to treat their passengers. Just a warning however, that if you are anything like me, you will be starting your Cruise addiction :rolleyes1

To answer your questions:

1) FE stands for Fish Extender - beside your door there is a metal fish and often there are notes clipped on from the staff, however somewhere along the line someone had the bright idea to add a pocket extender to it (thus called fish extender) and have some fun with this. Everyone who participates in a FE exchange brings an item for either the stateroom or for each person in the stateroom - some just do the kids and puts them into the extender sometime throughout the cruise. It makes for a nice surprise when you get to your room as people are very talented and gifted with the types of things that have been found in the fish extender.

2) I am assuming this is the same in the US and in Canada. A long form of a BC is a more detailed version of the Birth Certificate. However, having said that, it is always safer to have a passport and if you can get one for the trip expedited then that is your best bet. You should be able to apply for a long form at your local statistics department or wherever you folks register births.

3) As a first time cruiser and anyone who is not a Platinum (more then 10 cruises completed or concierge guest) receives a Boarding Number. This is to avoid overcrowding as you enter the ship. I have to give it to Disney - they are masters at people moving. You should be able to see your embarkation number as you do your registration before the cruise.

4) Absolutely tell Disney that you are celebrating your son's 11th birthday (Hey my daughter is 11 and she has been on many Disney Cruises - tell your son to ask her anything and she will be glad to help) They have a nice little pin and will come to the table on the night you want to celebrate and bring some cake/dessert thing and sing him happy birthday. Sometimes you can even get a call to the stateroom by a character and occasionally (depending on the staff) you can get a special something at the kids clubs.

5) My advice for you is to RELAX... Don't miss any of the shows especially the Disney themed ones ( I can take or leave the welcome aboard and farewell show) but all the other's are a must. Try to get out to the adult only entertainment - some great fun and don't worry about your son- he will have a blast in the kids club, which is at times open till 1:00 a.m. and sometimes later. At his age he can have permission to sign in and out . My daughter loves this feature but we have an agreement with her that she must have the staff send us a message on the wave phone (portable phone - there are 2 in each stateroom) and they let me know where she is going. She is also not allowed in anyone else's stateroom, nor is she allowed to swim on her own.

6) I am not a fan of Dr. Pepper - tastes like cough syrup to me..but to each his own.. I don't recall seeing Dr. Pepper on board so if he loves it (like I like my Diet Coke) then bring some.

7) I cannot comment on a hotel as this will be my first experience travelling from Galveston and I am finding the entire getting to the port a bit frustrating and expensive. I am sure someone else can give you some ideas - I hear that there is a hotel very close to the pier where you could actually see the ship in the a.m. from the hotel

8) Don't forget to book Palo - Brunch is my personal favourite - so don't miss that - I prefer brunch over the dinner as the views are spectacular from there.

9) I tend to wait till I get on board for excursions - but that is just me as I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman many times - Sometimes they do open up and other times you can get the same tour much cheaper through a local group or on your own. - you can look it up in the stop where you want to see the ruins and see what a private tour would charge. We have done this on occasion and have never had an issue - In July were on the Magic for the 12 day med and did all our own excursions. - No problems in 18 cruises with disney.

10) You will have a card that is swiped and used for everything - charging privileges on the ship, to get in the door etc. You will have to bring one other piece of picture id when you get off the ship and then are swiped off using this card. This way they know who is off and on the ship. Disney is pretty good - if you are on an excursion with Disney they will have a guide with you and you WILL get back in time. If on your own you just need to keep track of the time and get back to the ship. If your child is in the club while you are off the boat the ship will rarely leave, even if you are late. They will page late passengers.

Hope this information is helpful

Denise

My son does have a question or 2 and since your daughter is same age maybe she can help.
1.He's an athlete and was wondering if there will be any opportunity to play basketball or baseball type things. Also curious about ping pong, foose ball, computer games, and internet.

2. It looked like there is a video arcade on the boat, how would she rank it. Big (plenty of COOL games), Medium, small (long lines to play the one good game). Also can you earn points and prizes, how much are games.

And as far as the hotels in proximity to the ship, and transportation from the airport. I live in Texas and have spent past 6 weeks in Houston working. I drove down to Galveston during one of the weekends. I saw a Princess Cruise ship at the dock and took a photo of it. Amazing how big it is. The hotel that is the closest is probably one of the most expensive on the island. Galveston is small and EASY to get around on. Public transportation on the island was really good a few years ago though I didn't try it my last visit. Since the last Hurricane they have really rebuilt and upgraded the area well. I'm personnally going to get a hotel that's less expensive and provides shuttle to the dock. Then I can leave my car there unless someone tells me that's a bad idea. The shopping near the dock is great. But if you want to do something the night before boarding, the pleasure pier looked fun and eating at Bubba Gump Seafood was awesome. Also great restaurant across street from Pleasure pier that has been a Galveston staple for as long as I can remember. Beach is not that great so I wouldn't necessarily plan to spend any time on it. In my experience taking Super Shuttle from the airport is probably your best bet. There are always coupons online and in local publications. Houston traffic is very congested so if you are arriving after 3pm you may want to spend the night in Houston and get transportation the next day or after 7pm.

Good Luck!

WOW this is the coolest concept. Sounds from the posts that I'm a month too late to participate? Plus I don't face book, guessing that also precludes me. I've done some googling and just love this concept. I'm definately going to have one. Just a couple of questions I couldn't find answer. What is the etiquette around putting gifts into other's FE's? Should I drop something into everyone's on my deck? Do I put from the Williamson's? This reminds me of the swaps we make for Cub scout camp. Ours win a prize every year. I'm so excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter