"Wondering" if We'll Be On the Wonder November 16, 2013

9. Trying to book excursions. really wanted to do Mayan ruins but they seem booked already. How do I pick an excursion and is there a chance the Mayan ruins will open up.

Yes, with the exception for Jamaica, I would feel confident with planning your own shore excursions. Now "On your own" means something different to me than others. To us "on your own" means not contracting with any tour group or company. We hop in a cab or on a bus and go where and when we want.
In Cozumel it's almost always Mr. Sanchos. We leave the port area to get the cab along the road and it's almost always cheaper (prices are supposed to be set so YMMV). On the way back we ask another group to share a van and it's even cheaper. The whole day cost $75 for the four of us and that's with plenty of beer. There are several resturants around the melicon and square that are good if you just feel like walkign around and shopping.

In GC we use the public transit $2.50 each (white vans) and head to Sea Grape or Cemetary Beach both are free. We stop at a store and get drinks and snacks. Everything is expensive so usually about $50 total for the day. We have done snorkling and sting rays before so if it's your first time contract with Moby Dick tours. MUCH cheaper than DISNEY. My kids LOVED the turtle farm and swimming with dolphins here too, but that is very pricey.

In Jamaica I would book a tour with someone, doesn't have to be disney but probably not a great idea to hop in a cab if you don't know the area. Dunn's River Falls is far away as is Ocho Rios, Montego Bay is 20-30 minutes but the cab fare is high ($80-100 RT). We will take a cab ($15-20 each way) to a dive bar on the beach that is about 15 minutes away. I do worry a little about making the trek past the port gates with my two kids but we have been to Falmoth before on RCI and have a good feel for it. If you haven't then PLEASE DO NOT go wandering. If you get off the main road things can be very dicey. There is a really great bakery on the main raod where we will pick up treats for the kids. The the rest of the day it's Red Stripe for us and sodas for the kids. Maybe some Jerk chicken if we stay a long time. Whole day $80.

We don't always do things cheap but this time we are and I kind of see it as a challenge. How much fun for how little money?

Lots of good info, Liltx. Thanks! I hadn't realized Montego Bay was that close to Falmouth...DH wants to go there, but mostly just to say he's been there. I'm trying to figure out what we'd do there if we went and nothing is really appealing to me. We do have a private driver booked for things around Falmouth so was trying to decide whether to let DH have his way or make a push for what I want to do :lmao:

I have a follow up question though for those of you that are more local or at least familiar with Galveston... We have the Friday before to sightsee and just wondering what we could expect for weather? Would it be shorts & outdoor pool swimming weather or jeans & rainjacket weather? Trying to decide if my kids would get any use out of an outdoor pool if I switched to a different hotel :crazy2: ...

Hi my name is Jenny I am new to both this forum and Disney cruise line. I've sailed on Celebrity, HAL, Princess and RCL in the past but now after 13 years of marriage and giving up trying 6 years ago, we have a beautiful son who is almost 5 months of age. I know my son won't remember this cruise, but we want to take a family cruise (i.e. me, DH, DS and our Thai Au pair (who also LOVES everything Disney)! I know we will all have lots of good memories, and photos/videos/memorabilia for my son to see when he is older. I don't care if I'm somewhat confined to my cabin during the cruise, I love watching movies and knitting anyway. My son travels and sleeps very well and I can not think of a more fun and relaxing for our family to take a vacation. I'm fortunate that James is a very happy and easy baby, so please don't think you will have a screaming monster on board waking you all up at all hours of the night :). I'm hoping Disney cruises will become a new tradition for our family.

I'm new to the forum and the nuances of Disney cruising. I heard about the fish line extender groups and they sound awesome! Is anyone part of a group that could fit us in? It sounds so much fun. If so, how does a group work and do you all give out information about children's ages & gender to help with choosing gifts?

Also, with this cruise being in Holiday season, can anyone give me advice regarding whether we can have a special family Disney portrait, or a portrait package taken for our holiday cards. I had a beautiful portrait session and package done with my husband when I was pregnant and cruising on Celebrity last year, and would love to have something similar done again.

On a final note, does anyone know anything about how I can determine the visa requirements for our Au pair? Travel agent of zero use.

Cheers and thanks for all your input.

Jenny :) :hourglass

Hey .. I am in the same boat (no pun intended) LOL - I need to find transportation the night before from Bush (IAH) airport - we come in around 7:00 p.m. - I was looking to see if there was anyone who wanted to share a ride. Man... transportation from that airport seems difficult in comparison to all the other ports we have been at ( and expensive)

I am almost tempted to just stay at an airport hotel and then have the disney bus take us in the day of the cruise. What time are you in and what have you decided to do?

Denise

Hi Denise, my husband and I are going with my 5 month old son and Au pair. The flight I'm planning to take arrives at 6:00pm. I was planning to take a town car/limo to Galveston Friday evening anyway, because our bodies will still be on PST. That way, we can also sleep in and go to the terminal in a leisurely fashion.

Given the cost of bus transfers for us all being > the ca/limo cost, and my not wanting to arrive at the pier on mass with a bunch of other people at the same time, my decision was a no brainer. How many people are with you? Based on any "up size" of the car/limo/van we were taking, I'm very willing to just ask that you pay for any increase in cost (if applicable).

Cheers,

Jenny :hourglass

Hey guys! I am Brandi from Louisiana. I am new to the forum and the DIS app! I just booked our vacation aboard the Wonder for the November 16th sailing. It will be My grandma and grandpa, aunt, great aunt, and myself traveling with you guys. We are all kids at heart and are looking forward to participating in the fish extender group. If you guys know anything about it please let me know and include me and my family. We will be in two seperate rooms and have yet to be assigned a cabin number. I'm already thinking of things to give out in the exchange. My grandpa is 85!! He has Alzheimer's but still lives to go. You can see some of his outings on Instagram at #clemsgrandadventure he sure is a mess! Can't wait to meet you guys and have a vacation of a lifetime!

Lots of good info, Liltx. Thanks! I hadn't realized Montego Bay was that close to Falmouth...DH wants to go there, but mostly just to say he's been there. I'm trying to figure out what we'd do there if we went and nothing is really appealing to me. We do have a private driver booked for things around Falmouth so was trying to decide whether to let DH have his way or make a push for what I want to do :lmao:

I have a follow up question though for those of you that are more local or at least familiar with Galveston... We have the Friday before to sightsee and just wondering what we could expect for weather? Would it be shorts & outdoor pool swimming weather or jeans & rainjacket weather? Trying to decide if my kids would get any use out of an outdoor pool if I switched to a different hotel :crazy2: ...

Montego Bay is like 18 miles away, of course if there is traffic it could take longer, maybe much longer. My main point is that it is much closer to Falmouth than Ocho Rios.
The weather question is hard. For us it would be way too cold to swim but we are used to the heat. For you it might be perfect. It will probably not be cold but cool and breezy is possible. Sorry, that's not much help. I don't let my kids swim before a cruise because I don't like carrying wet swimsuits. I know that when we board they will be in the pool cold or not. Crazies!

Does anyone have a list of all of the participants in the fish extenders group? If so could you get me a copy? I am trying to get little gifts together to distribute on our cruise. I am so excited. Also, is there going to be a meet a greet for the people who have "met" per say on the forum? Only 51 days left!!pixiedust:

I agree! I'm so excited for my boys to see the cultural difference in the places we visit. It's why we picked this itinerary. Jamaica is beautiful, however the socio-economics are tragic. It's good for kids to understand there's more to life than the newest game system or whatever. I was an adult before it raveled out of the USA and I want to be able to instill a lust for adventure I these boys from the beginning.

I also really want to do panama but am waiting till youngest is 6 or 7.......

Welcome aboard!

That is such a great attitude to have and to instill in your children. That passion for adventure and travel allows children to know that there is so much more to life tha:woohoo:n their little communities and school. I have lived in South Africa and Japan for a few months and I learned that there is a great big world to see and that there are many people that have very little. It has helped me to be a little less selfish. Also it makes my huge problems in life seem not so big! Keep nurturing that passion for adventure!

This is our first time on a cruise. Work in Galveston at Shriners Burn Hospital for children. SOOOOOOOO excited. My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary on the 22nd. We are also bringing our soon to be 18 year old so mama does not have to worry what she is doing. Of course she thinks she is Arielle in disguise so little chance to keep her home.
Cannot wait.:wizard:

I am applying for a PRN position at the Shriners Hospital in Shreveport, LA!

I will be hitting up the Halloween stores towards the end of October when they are clearance(ing?) the costumes. Sucks that is between the longest two port days, does anyone know why?

Disneyland is amazing at Christmas time. Second weekend in December is the best in my opinion. Hours are late like summer, yet not as crowded with parents waiting til kids out of school to go. The candle lighters ceremony is one not to be missed with whatever celebrity at the time. It's truly magical if you get sentimental about Christmas stories and songs.

Looking forward to seeing a DCL ship; I'm hoping it has some of the Christmas magic. :love:

Happy Girl,
If I have done my research right, we will be on a holiday cruise!!

Hi y'all! Well today I booked I think the last 2 OGT rooms they were offering... we went on our first Disney cruise in Feb 2013 and planned on being on the last Wonder cruise out of Galveston in January. 2014 but as we went to make final payment I found these rates and had to switch! So lets see... we are from about 30min from Galveston... on this cruise will be my mom ; Patti (52); me; Jennifer (30); my son Grayson (5); my sister Serah (32); her husband Brian (36); their son Aiden (12) daughter Avery (7).

I'm so excited about this trip... we are gonna try to surprise the kids but I'm no good at keeping secrets!

That is such a great attitude to have and to instill in your children. That passion for adventure and travel allows children to know that there is so much more to life tha:woohoo:n their little communities and school. I have lived in South Africa and Japan for a few months and I learned that there is a great big world to see and that there are many people that have very little. It has helped me to be a little less selfish. Also it makes my huge problems in life seem not so big! Keep nurturing that passion for adventure!

Thank you skirtgirl25!!!

How do I get the DCL nametag style countdown ticker for my DIS posts? All I can find are the linear kind.
Please and thank you!

Looking forward to sailing the seas with you all and bringing our two little girls on their first cruise! Nothing but the best, Disney all the way!! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter