Wonder--10-day Hawaii to Vancouver 9/17/2015

Just booked this AM. Took about an hour on the phone to get it done. We are planning to stay three days at Aulani before the cruise. Just the 2 of us. Leaving the kids at home.

Tacking this on to get home from Aulani. Just booked this morning.

Those of you doing back to backs, you might be fine if you're doing the 2 Hawaii cruises back to back, but it's a violation of maritime law to do the Hawaii-Vancouver cruise back to back with the Vancouver-San Diego cruise. Apparently you can't travel on the same ship between two US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port (North American ports like Vancouver don't count). Although I did read that the bookings are currently being allowed, in the future you may be asked to drop one of those cruises so be prepared. Something similar happened with the Pacific Coast cruises previously.

I believe the Jones act applies to cruises leaving from USA. I checked with DCL this morning, and was told it wouldn't apply since it departs from Canada - the same reason HI is departing from Canada.

We are also doing back to back. I think the two Hawaii cruises are fine. It's just a very lengthy round trip cruise in the end. The one that does the Hawaii to Vancouver to San Diego probably wouldn't be allowed as it would be technically "transporting" a passenger from one US city to another.

Anyway, welcome everyone! We are very excited to do these back to back cruises! We've never done this before. We HAVE been on the DCL Hawwaii cruise in Oct. 2012. That was fabulous. I can't even imagine how great this one will be.

I believe the Jones act applies to cruises leaving from USA. I checked with DCL this morning, and was told it wouldn't apply since it departs from Canada - the same reason HI is departing from Canada.

A Honolulu to Vancouver to San Diego B2B is considered a Hawaii to CA cruise - because you embark in one US port and permanently disembark in another. The PVSA (not the Jones Act) specifies that foreign flagged ships can't transport passengers from one US port to another US port without stopping at a distant foreign port - and Vancouver isn't distant. DCL should've learned their lesson from the May and Sept 2012 CA Coastal repo + Alaska cruise debacle.

DCL may try to get away with this - simply because there is only one B2B cruise like this. After they ran afoul of the law with their May 2012 B2B (LA to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seattle) - they were probably warned not to do that again. That's why those on the Sept. 2012 B2B cruises (Seattle to Vancouver and Vancouver to LA) were told they had to cancel one of those cruises.

Booked - though it's so far in the future, who knows if we'll actually go?

But for now, it sounds good. One way only - with a pre-stay exploring Honolulu....

I have been interested in this itinerary for several years, and even had it booked (and later cancelled) on Royal Caribbean a few times! This cruise isn't a sure thing, but I knew I wasn't going on the Nov. 2014 Caribbean cruise I had booked, and I wanted to take advantage of my onboard booking discount.

I booked this for 2 people, with the 2nd passenger "to be determined." I'll probably spend a few days in Honolulu and Vancouver on each end.

Woo hoo, we are in! Me, DH, and our twin boys, who will be 9. Sailing away from our house two miles away!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We are in!!! Booked yesterday...

We will be doing a week plus at Ko 'Olina...then the cruise!!

I've been wanting this combo for years now...:cool1:

We are doing Aulani, B2B hawaii-Vancouver-San Diego. Sounds like a great trip. Aloha! :yay:

Did they let you book the Vancouver to San Diego along with the Hawaii?
All this talk about not being able to do back to back....just wondering...:confused3

That B2B is not allowed by maritime law.

what about if you change rooms on the second cruise? and have a different reservation number???
I have read all the postings and just don't get it...is Canada not a foreign port?

what about if you change rooms on the second cruise? and have a different reservation number???
I have read all the postings and just don't get it...is Canada not a foreign port?

Read my post #11. Vancouver is not a distant foreign port. DCL has been through this before, and surely ought to know better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter