• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder--10-day Hawaii to Vancouver 9/17/2015

Looks like Aulani is out, I was hoping to rent points for the stay but there is no availability and I'm not paying 1200+USD for three nights. Will probably end up at the Aston at the Waikiki Banyan or something similar.[/QUOTE]

We are also on this cruise.We tried to rent points with no luck. We received an email last month from Disney with a pre-cruise special 25% off the room and breakfast included.
It came to just over $1,000 for the 3 nights.
Payment is due the same day as the cruise final payment.

Looks like Aulani is out, I was hoping to rent points for the stay but there is no availability and I'm not paying 1200+USD for three nights. Will probably end up at the Aston at the Waikiki Banyan or something similar.

We are also on this cruise.We tried to rent points with no luck. We received an email last month from Disney with a pre-cruise special 25% off the room and breakfast included.

Yikes it is sold out for pre cruise? I need a 1bdrm for Sunday night and thought I had more time to book points.

I was in touch with Vacations by David and they said there was no availability for standard or studio rooms.
You should look into it as soon as you can. I believe DVC owners can book 12 months out for their home resorts, I called at about 6 1/2 months out.

I was able to rent points for a 1bdrm, but thank you for letting me know! I went back and forth, but that would be the easiest. I hope I am not too tired to drive coming from the east coast and landing 8:25pm hawaii time. I should be ok to make a 1/2 hour drive and at least there is no traffic.

That's not too bad but I can stay in Waikiki for less than $500 in a one bedroom, when it was $100~ish difference I would go for it... not sure about double. My cruise is paid in full as I booked a special rate. Might call to see about that though so thanks for the heads up! :goodvibes

Called and they transferred me already to other flights. It was a few months ago they did cancel some direct flights but last time I checked they were still doing Sun. Wed and Fri. (?). Not 100% sure it was Friday. I had booked Sunday, it was a toss up between that and Monday when I booked. Wed. would have left us no time to see Waikiki as the flight arrives in the evening.

They told me they didn't have to let me know until 45 days before the flight, when the last of the schedules are done. I said I was not pleased as I wanted a direct flight and now that it is so close to my trip it will cost a lot more.

I'm not sure I will ever fly with Alaska Airlines again after this. I even have their credit card. I have sent off a message to them telling them I'm not happy with their service.

That really does suck. You should have been notified in some way immediately, not to mention you should have been able to okay the new flight schedule or given alternative options if you didn't like those flights, including the option of a refund! I certainly understand the frustration, hope everything works out well for you.

We would have had lots of options as we could fly out of Vancouver also. It's about the same distance for us. I have the Alaska credit card so we did get a deal on the flight since we use the companion rate for my mom. If I knew earlier I could have switched to West Jet or Air Canada and got a direct flight for a bit more. Now the price is $100 or more for both of us. No word yet from Alaska, I will keep everyone posted.

I was able to rent points for a 1bdrm, but thank you for letting me know! I went back and forth, but that would be the easiest. I hope I am not too tired to drive coming from the east coast and landing 8:25pm hawaii time. I should be ok to make a 1/2 hour drive and at least there is no traffic.

I'm glad you were able to get what you needed for Aulani.
Yes, this time change is gonna be rough, we are from Florida.
We are flying in on the 12th and hopefully we can get acclimated by Thursday to the time change.
When we were there for our honeymoon many many moons ago, we were having breakfast at 5am Honolulu time, and there were plenty of other Eastcoasters doing the same.

I'm glad you were able to get what you needed for Aulani.
Yes, this time change is gonna be rough, we are from Florida.
We are flying in on the 12th and hopefully we can get acclimated by Thursday to the time change.
When we were there for our honeymoon many many moons ago, we were having breakfast at 5am Honolulu time, and there were plenty of other Eastcoasters doing the same.

Going west is an easier transition for me than going east. At least by the time I check into the resort, it is night there as well, so you get to sleep after the travels. In Europe, to get adjusted quickly, you have to stay up the day you land. I never feel good that day at all.

This is my first time to Hawaii, but when I was in Fiji, I was glad to be at a resort for a few days to get adjusted to the time change. If I do any excursions, it will be Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm going to leave Monday to exploring the resort and getting adjusted to the time.

We arrive on Oahu on 9/12 at 11:30 a.m. (lucky!!) We have Charley's Taxi booked for transporting us to Aulani ($55 for 4 adults). I was also told by Charley's Taxi that they will transport to cruise terminal for $75 (party of 4) but that does not need to be pre-booked; I was told Charley's Taxi is hanging around Aulani and we just need to ask for the car.

For those that have been to Oahu/Aulani, I understand traffic is heavy. We have a few off-resort trips we would like to do and plan to rent a car for 2 days: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head area and North Shore. Is traffic worse on Sunday or on week days (for getting through the Waikiki area to Diamond Head)? Same question for North Shore and Pearl Harbor. Or is it bad all days :) Thank you!

Aulani will pick you up at the airport and take you to the cruise terminal, that's what we had done..

Just letting everyone know I heard back from Alaska Airlines and they responded with this:

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines with regard to changes to your upcoming travel in September.

Unfortunately, schedule changes are a common occurrence in the airline industry, as airlines alter their schedules every few months to accommodate seasonal changes in demand. When a schedule change happens, we attempt to find the best alternative arrangements for your itinerary. While we do our best to keep negative changes to a minimum, we understand that our suggested alternative may not work and we will do our best to offer viable options, including itinerary, date or time changes, with no service fee or even a full refund. On behalf of Alaska Airlines, I offer my apology for any inconvenience you experienced.

They did not say they would change their policy to become more like the three other airlines I contacted to find out their policy on changes from a direct flight to a connecting flight. I am not happy and will think twice before booking with Alaska in the future. For the Canadian's that are reading this WestJet has the best policy on this and they send off an e-mail or call with any schedule change as long as they have your contact information as soon as they know about the change.

Alaska has the worst as they won't let you know until 45 days before your flight about any changes to the scheduled flight.

I'm seriously considering cancelling and booking with Air Canada and getting a direct flight, it would cost me about $50 more and we would be on their cheaper airline flight Rouge.

Just letting everyone know I heard back from Alaska Airlines and they responded with this:

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines with regard to changes to your upcoming travel in September.

Unfortunately, schedule changes are a common occurrence in the airline industry, as airlines alter their schedules every few months to accommodate seasonal changes in demand. When a schedule change happens, we attempt to find the best alternative arrangements for your itinerary. While we do our best to keep negative changes to a minimum, we understand that our suggested alternative may not work and we will do our best to offer viable options, including itinerary, date or time changes, with no service fee or even a full refund. On behalf of Alaska Airlines, I offer my apology for any inconvenience you experienced.

They did not say they would change their policy to become more like the three other airlines I contacted to find out their policy on changes from a direct flight to a connecting flight. I am not happy and will think twice before booking with Alaska in the future. For the Canadian's that are reading this WestJet has the best policy on this and they send off an e-mail or call with any schedule change as long as they have your contact information as soon as they know about the change.

Alaska has the worst as they won't let you know until 45 days before your flight about any changes to the scheduled flight.

I'm seriously considering cancelling and booking with Air Canada and getting a direct flight, it would cost me about $50 more and we would be on their cheaper airline flight Rouge.

I am Alaska Airlines as well, but already had a connecting flight. UGH! I hope they don't change it on me 45 days out!! I paid more for the better flight schedule.

I am Alaska Airlines as well, but already had a connecting flight. UGH! I hope they don't change it on me 45 days out!! I paid more for the better flight schedule.
I called a bunch of other airlines to find out their policy on a schedule change like I had - going from direct to connecting and every single one said they contact you or the travel agent if they do a change like that. I then called Alaska back and without me even telling them anything on the phone they knew who I was. If they can do that by call display then they should be able to send off an e-mail. I asked for a supervisor and told him that I was not happy. I have the choice of flying from another city that has direct flights and because they waited and didn't contact me in a timely manner once they knew I didn't have a direct flight, I lost out on options without having to pay a lot more. I also said that I wasn't pleased that they are not going to try and make changes to their policy to become more like the other airlines. He said he could give us each a $200 credit for our next flight with them. If they expire in a year, I won't be able to use them as I can only afford to go on vacation once a year. He said it would take a few days for me to get the e-mail with the credit so I won't know for a few days. Seems crazy that they can give away so much in credit. You would think it would be cheaper for them to give us free baggage for the trip or a lounge pass.

The flight times have just changed again since he gave them to me on Friday. I was checking to see if it was cheaper for them to upgrade us to first class over giving us a credit (it's not). Now we arrive earlier in Honolulu and leave later in Bellingham.

My friend and I, I am from Boston area, she is from Orlando area will be staying at Aulani for a week before cruise. I did book 7 months before, using points and did get what I wanted. We are meeting in LA to spend three days at disneyland-60th anniversary. Then fly out to Hawaii. Looking forward to spending a week at Aulani. last time there only had an afternoon to explore the island.

Last edited:
I called a bunch of other airlines to find out their policy on a schedule change like I had - going from direct to connecting and every single one said they contact you or the travel agent if they do a change like that. I then called Alaska back and without me even telling them anything on the phone they knew who I was. If they can do that by call display then they should be able to send off an e-mail. I asked for a supervisor and told him that I was not happy. I have the choice of flying from another city that has direct flights and because they waited and didn't contact me in a timely manner once they knew I didn't have a direct flight, I lost out on options without having to pay a lot more. I also said that I wasn't pleased that they are not going to try and make changes to their policy to become more like the other airlines. He said he could give us each a $200 credit for our next flight with them. If they expire in a year, I won't be able to use them as I can only afford to go on vacation once a year. He said it would take a few days for me to get the e-mail with the credit so I won't know for a few days. Seems crazy that they can give away so much in credit. You would think it would be cheaper for them to give us free baggage for the trip or a lounge pass.

The flight times have just changed again since he gave them to me on Friday. I was checking to see if it was cheaper for them to upgrade us to first class over giving us a credit (it's not). Now we arrive earlier in Honolulu and leave later in Bellingham.
Delta has changed flight time to an hour earlier. But this is out of LA

Got the $200 credit, but I doubt I can use it. It has to be used in a year. I don't think I can save up enough money to go away 5 months earlier in the year.

Delta has changed my flight home out of Vancouver on the 27th. It originally was supposed to leave at 5:25pm but it is now leaving at 12:55pm but my connecting flight stayed the same. I have to call them to see if there is another flight so I am not sitting in my connecting airport (Salt Lake City) for 6 hours! Seems like everyone's flights are being changed...didn't think that this happened too often, but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully everyone's flight dilemmas are fixed! :)

Delta has changed my flight home out of Vancouver on the 27th. It originally was supposed to leave at 5:25pm but it is now leaving at 12:55pm but my connecting flight stayed the same. I have to call them to see if there is another flight so I am not sitting in my connecting airport (Salt Lake City) for 6 hours! Seems like everyone's flights are being changed...didn't think that this happened too often, but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully everyone's flight dilemmas are fixed! :)
Hopefully there is an earlier flight home so you aren't waiting in the airport for a long time. Delta is letting you know about the changes though aren't they. That was one airline I forgot to call!

When I told my mom that we had a year to use the credit she reminded me I would be using it within a year, as I always book so early. I don't think I have to book and actually fly within the year. So that works!

We arrive on Oahu on 9/12 at 11:30 a.m. (lucky!!) We have Charley's Taxi booked for transporting us to Aulani ($55 for 4 adults). I was also told by Charley's Taxi that they will transport to cruise terminal for $75 (party of 4) but that does not need to be pre-booked; I was told Charley's Taxi is hanging around Aulani and we just need to ask for the car.

For those that have been to Oahu/Aulani, I understand traffic is heavy. We have a few off-resort trips we would like to do and plan to rent a car for 2 days: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head area and North Shore. Is traffic worse on Sunday or on week days (for getting through the Waikiki area to Diamond Head)? Same question for North Shore and Pearl Harbor. Or is it bad all days :) Thank you!

I live on O'ahu. Traffic sucks. It is horrible near Pearl Harbor during the weekdays during commute times. Traveling from Aulani to Diamond Head will not be fun during peak times either. Please know that traffic coming in from Aulani in the morning and back out that direction in the afternoon are a million times worse than anything you have experienced. I went to college in CA so I know LA traffic well. At least it moves! Also, North Shore traffic will be ridiculous on the weekends. One lane. Do not go on the 13th. Perhaps that would be the best day to go early in the morning to Diamond Head? Maybe even for the sunrise since you will be on mainland time?

I live on O'ahu. Traffic sucks. It is horrible near Pearl Harbor during the weekdays during commute times. Traveling from Aulani to Diamond Head will not be fun during peak times either. Please know that traffic coming in from Aulani in the morning and back out that direction in the afternoon are a million times worse than anything you have experienced. I went to college in CA so I know LA traffic well. At least it moves! Also, North Shore traffic will be ridiculous on the weekends. One lane. Do not go on the 13th. Perhaps that would be the best day to go early in the morning to Diamond Head? Maybe even for the sunrise since you will be on mainland time?

What time would you leave Aulani to get to the ship on the 17th, so I am not sitting in traffic? 10-11am?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter