Women & Children Seated First?

Good thing it wasn't in my bus last night. I can guarantee I walk more than most people in the parks and at the end of the day I will sit. If it is an elderly woman, man or small child I will move but don't tell me when I should move. There are plenty of men who need to sit just like women for various reasons and they may not be noticeable just by looking.

The rudest thing I ever saw on a Disney bus was a woman, her litter of kids and her packages all firmly planted in seats while people stood. So I am firmly opposed to people using seats to hold their shopping bags while people stand.
I'm one who if I really want a seat then I wait for the next bus, if I don't care whether I stand (eg getting back to my resort or to my ADR is more important than resting my aching feet) I make that decision when it's obvious the seats are all taken and I get on anyway expecting to stand. We also don't tend to try getting around at very high crowd times, except the occasional park closing. The waiting for the next bus would be a lot easier if they gave us more seats to sit on while we waited or things to lean on.

Her "litter" of kids. Wow, now that's extremely offensive.

Gracious NO.

What exaclty is it about your random pregnant woman, child, or older person that makes them so fragile?

When I was pregnant I HATED sitting down. To sit meant pain on standing. If I had decided to go to Disney then, if I had felt strong enough to go, I wouldn't have wanted that pity from anyone.

Well, as a pregnant woman, I can say that I'd rather not have a bad fall being pregnant were the bus to slam on the breaks. You're safer sitting. Pregnant women aren't fragile, and I don't think anyone is saying pregnant women are fragile. But growing a baby is a ton of frigging work- most people know that, which is why they offer to help.

What's next, women and elderly mandated to the front of the line on rides by orders of Disney. I think there are people dragging babies around the park in the heat way too young but guess what? It's none of my business! Berating anyone anywhere because they don't think the way you do is teaching his kids rudeness and intolerance. I believe that is what the original post is speaking to, rudeness and intolerance.

You know, my mom always told me never to tell my husband "Oh, you don't need to get me flowers." Because guess what? He'll stop the nice gesture. Same can be said for manners. Offering up your seat is simply polite- it doesn't imply that someone is fragile, infirm, or a sexist gesture. It's simple old fashioned manners. Kind of like men opening up a door for a lady, and using please or thank you. Keep telling people that simple manners are offensive or outdated (HUH?!), pretty soon no one will have manners at all.

No one should ever be berated by a stranger for not giving up their seat- although if my kid ever stayed seated and there was an elderly person who needed a seat, they'd sure hear about it from me.

I won't sue you, but I will feel judged and insulted by archaic notions that because I have XY chromosomes I'm weak and frail and fragile and can't stand up.

I think you mean your lack of XY chromosomes (or presence of XX). Or else I'm totally confused. :)

For my part, I've never felt insulted or judge if someone offers me a seat - happened today, actually (and the person offering was another female and looked to be about my age - I did have a headache and maybe looked like it). I will offer up my seat to someone who needs it more than I do - but honestly in the situation described in the OP (i.e. if someone tried to guilt me not it - especially someone not asking for a seat for themselves), my butt would likely stay firmly in the seat.

If I've seen you running past people and pushing through the crowd to get to the bus stop you have no mobility issues. It's the same people that get pissed when someone in a wheelchair get loaded before them because they were first.

This isn't exclusive the busses it's just a general inability to focus on anything but ones self displayed in multiple areas of the park. I've seen adults knock down kids coming out of the libraries in ToT and HM because they're in their way to the ride. You're all going to same place so if you need to stand or wait so someone else can sit down or go first then do it. I'm glad there are so many capable people on here that don't want a seat but regardless of my age if my Momma saw me not offer my seat to someone who appears to be in need she'd be all over me.

In cases like those, I can see where you are coming from. I just think that sometimes people--like the guy from the OP's original anecdote--come on a bus with people they have NOT previously seen running around in the parks and judge. (Even if they stood in line with someone for a half hour at the bus line, that doesn't mean anything. Standing stationary in a line is a lot easier than standing on a moving bus for someone with a hidden disability, whether permanent or temporary. For instance, I injured my knee before our last trip, had to see an orthopedic doctor a couple of days before we left, and have a cortisone shot and everything. The shot helped somewhat, but I was still having some issues. No one said anything to me on the buses because I was sometimes holding my toddler son too, but I would have given that person an earful if he/she would have assumed to know my medical history.)

I think it is polite for others to give up their seat if they can and am proud of my husband for offering to do it the majority of the time, but it is not anyone else's place to judge if he did not because they would not know why.

I do not think Disney should have a policy regarding this and I absolutely think it is rude for guests to lecture other guests on this topic.

With that being said... DH will always stand on a full bus. He knows there are people who need the seat more than he does, so he offers his seat. Before DD was born, I offered my seat to anyone that I thought might need it more than I did. There was one ride last trip where I had a baby in my arms and no one around me offered their seat, so I planned to stand (all other bus rides either a seat was available or someone offered their seat). On that same bus ride, the driver said that she would not move the bus until all moms with babies in their arms were sitting down; I appreciated that.

I would never be offended if a man offered me a seat. I may not always accept the offer, but it would never offend me.

You know....from reading this type post, you would think the WDW buses were chock-a-block full of seated men, while women and children and the infirm were left to stand, bouncing around like pin balls! I'm in WDW 3 time a year, I ride the buses all the time.....yes, I sometimes see women standing, while men are seated. BUT.....that's the minority of the time! Most of the time, I watch as men and teenage boys get up and offer their seats. I've even seen some women offering their seats!
The thing I see a lot more often than able adults not offering up their seats? Families with huge strollers that have dad insisting on standing right in front of his family, stroller by his side, in the front of the bus.....while there are a ton of empty spaces close to the back door, where there is more room for those stupid strollers!!! And now, if you get two of these families on the bus? You can't get past them, the driver is yelling move to the rear of the bus, but no one moves because the aisle is blocked off...so, many people are left at the bus stop when there was room for them, in the back!!! Sometimes, even seats were available. Yes, I have been the mouthy one who looks at a family and says 'move to the rear means move to the rear!' and I get dirty looks. One father even told me he intends to stay with his family in case he's needed...seriously? It's a 10 min bus ride!!! That drives me nuts. As does the driver turning a blind eye to guests boarding through that rear door!! I watched as a dad started putting his stroller, with baby, in through the back door. The driver closed the door, as they normally do after everyone is off the bus, and that stroller made it onto the bus, dad didn't!!!! Evidently people can't read 'do not enter'. Not to mention the fact that he had left his child in the stroller!!! The driver got off bus and asked the man if he didn't see the 'do not enter' sign. Dad was really peeved.

I'm, for all intents and purposes, 66 (in a week, and yes, I hate saying that!!!), and the only time I sit is if the bus is pretty much empty. I usually stand if it looks like the bus is going to be crowded. I'm kind of strange and enjoy standing on moving vehicles...it works my balance skills!! But, I can't tell you how many times I've had men and teenage boys offer me their seats....happens more often than not. People are going to do what they want. You can not force them to have, what you consider to be, good manners. On the other hand, my dh, at the age of 55, had a knee replaced. Now to look at him, you would have thought he was the picture of health! But, you certainly didn't want to be anywhere near him if he was standing on a crowded bus....he had a lot of trouble with balance until that knee got replaced!

And as far as the buses being too crowded? They are public transit.....they are perfectly safe. If that bus stops suddenly, yes, people are going to be shoved around. My issue is more of a flying stroller issue!!! I wish there was a way to tie them down, or store them beneath the bus. Even when a bus is cut off or somehow involved in an accident (and it's usually not the buses fault!), those on the bus are seldom seriously injured. Bumps and bruises, but seldom more than that. If anyone is really concerned about this, they may be better off renting a car. These buses are designed for standing guests. I remember back in the days when there was more seating available and much less standing room. And you didn't get on a bus nearly as often. Adding more buses adds to costs, and if Disney is paying for more buses out on the road, someone is going to have to pick up that addtl cost....and it's going to be the guests.

I'm 51 years old, maybe a little old school, but I will always stand next to my wife and daughter when getting on the buses. If the bus is getting kind of crowded, my daughter will stand also. I feel uncomfortable if I'm sitting and a woman or elder person is standing.

I'm 51 years old, maybe a little old school, but I will always stand next to my wife and daughter when getting on the buses. If the bus is getting kind of crowded, my daughter will stand also. I feel uncomfortable if I'm sitting and a woman or elder person is standing.
Can I ask you why? I'm just curious. Is there a reason your wife and dd need you close by? If several guys do that, then the aisle gets clogged, and people are less inclined to move back, to where there is actually space. Not being argumentative, just genuinely curious.

I'm amazed that women are insulted by men giving up their seats, sigh.

DH and both our DS' would do so. DH does it a lot and I totally respect him for it. Chivalry is not a bad thing and I'm tired of the "offended" woman who makes men feel like being chivalrous is wrong. It's sad how many women treat men like crap for being polite. Both my DS have said women have actually said to them "I can get my own door". Wow. DDIL loves the fact that DS is like that. It does not demean women to have men open doors, give up seats etc. It's a sign of respect and caring.

It does not mean you aren't equal if a man opens a door or gives up a seat. It tells me a lot about a woman that is offended by that behavior and that's mainly that they have never had a man in their lives do that for them.

I don't need a seat or a door held open for me just because I'm a woman. Being chivalrous is about thinking that women are the weaker sex, not about respect.

Perhaps the driver should announce 'standing room only' once the seats are gone.

I'm over sixty and most times I can stand. But sometimes you are getting on a bus and until you are on, you don't know the seating situation.

Disney just wants to get you on the bus. They don't really want you waiting.

And there are capacity numbers as far as standees on a bus goes. There is a little plaque on the wall near the driver.

So your solution is that I should stand, holding her, in the heat instead? Like a PP said, you can't dictate common courtesy, it's a shame it's long gone away. Your attitude perfectly demonstrates the entitlement I was speaking of. And I don't judge anyone for sitting, I merely said I was a little miffed, because, as I said, I am the type that would offer my seat in a heartbeat to anyone who looked as though they needed it more than me. Not that it matters, but it was at the end of the MNSSHP, the only late night we did on any of our 4 trips. I've already told DH that when we do MVMCP this year, we are taking a taxi home, however I traveled to the park empty handed and bagless, which means no cash for a taxi. It's not a matter of me expecting others to take care of me, SMH, some people are so ignorant. And heartless. I'm sorry, but in an entire bus, you can't argue that EVERYONE has an ailment. Forcing a mom to stand with a sleeping child is a jerk move, I don't care who you are. I will continue to give up my seat and see the positive in anything. I hope when you are in need of a seat you are given one, and not forced to deal with others with your same attitude.

Actually, I do need a seat on the bus the majority of times. I have severe back and hip issues that make standing on the bus difficult and dangerous as I can easily lose my balance and fall on someone. However, I never expect or get upset when someone doesn't give up their seat because I don't know what is going on with them. They have as much of a right to that seat as anyone else. If I end up standing then that is my fault and my fault only. No one elses. I have only myself to be miffed at because I didn't think ahead and ended up in a bad situation. NEVER would I be upset with anyone else!

Then again, I will and have waited for the next bus in the heat. Or I take a taxi. It's MY responsibility to be sure that I am safe. Too many people in these sorts of threads seem to believe they have more of a right to a seat then another person, but that's not how it works. Just because you have a medical reason (like myself), have a small child, are pregnant, or are old doesn't mean that you are more important then some random healthy person.

And if you are miffed at other people not getting up, then you are judging them. Otherwise you would have no reason to be upset with anyone else.

I don't need a seat or a door held open for me just because I'm a woman. Being chivalrous is about thinking that women are the weaker sex, not about respect.

I agree. If a guy will hold a door for a man as often as he'll hold it for a woman, then I think he is being polite. If he makes sure to hold it for women and cares less when it's a man... that's not logical to me. I don't flip out about it, but it does frustrate me a little. There is no reason that my gender makes it more difficult for me to open a door or stand on the bus.

If I'm carrying something, look more tired than you, or seem less stable on the bus, then offering your seat makes sense. But I'd expect you to do the same for a man if he was carrying something, looked more tired than you, or seemed less stable.

Do I freak out about it or respond rudely? No. Because I understand it is most often someone attempting to be polite or do what they were taught when growing up. But I do think they either see women as "the gentler sex" or they aren't actually thinking about why they are doing what they are doing.

I agree. If a guy will hold a door for a man as often as he'll hold it for a woman, then I think he is being polite. If he makes sure to hold it for women and cares less when it's a man... that's not logical to me. I don't flip out about it, but it does frustrate me a little. There is no reason that my gender makes it more difficult for me to open a door or stand on the bus.

If I'm carrying something, look more tired than you, or seem less stable on the bus, then offering your seat makes sense. But I'd expect you to do the same for a man if he was carrying something, looked more tired than you, or seemed less stable.

Do I freak out about it or respond rudely? No. Because I understand it is most often someone attempting to be polite or do what they were taught when growing up. But I do think they either see women as "the gentler sex" or they aren't actually thinking about why they are doing what they are doing.

I just asked my DH if he gives up his seat on the bus because he thinks women are the 'gentler' or weaker sex. He just laughed and said *expletive* no! Please, he has seen me give birth twice with no drugs, BF 2 babies through the age of 2. Suffer a miscarriage on my birthday. Go through many other trial and tribulations in our 16 years together as well as fight for my family and children tooth and nail. He has seen his mother battle cancer twice and win. Does he give up his seat because he thinks women are weak? No way! He respects women too much to think they are weak. THAT is why he gives up his seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter