Wk of Jan 22--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Yikes! 234 posts last week! We are a busy group!

I am finally getting over my cold. I actually had to stay home from work on Thursday because I was too sick to get out of bed.

Work is so busy right now. I am facing a difficult decision. I do not know whether I can commit the time to train for the MS150 bike ride. I really want to do it, but DH signed up three of the DDs for soccer, and they play games on Saturdays when I am supposed to be training with my bike team. So, not only do I not have time to train because of work, I would also be the worst Mom in the world for missing my DDs soccer games. I am sad because I really wanted to prove to myself that I could go the distance on my bike, but I really think the best decision for work and family is to back out of the ride.

Like others, I continue to struggle with my weight and eating things I shouldn't. I tried to go back on South Beach Phase I but only made it 5 days. Tonight I had pizza and sugar cookies. I look at the pictures from the 1/2 marathon, and I see an overweight person. I don't want to be that person anymore, but I don't have the will power to change. I don't want people to look at me and ask "Is she having another baby?" or from strangers "When is your baby due?" I thought that training for the 1/2 would help, but it didn't. I am hoping that bike riding and training for the full will help, but I am not seeing a change. I tried WW but don't have the time to track points and had no success without tracking.

Don't mean to be a downer. Guess I just have the post-marathon blues. :sad2:

I finished off week 4 of MFM with 5 fabulous miles today! Pace was 10 sec per mile better than my 5 miler the week before the half...I did 13:50 today :cool1: .

Lynnda...Lynne had listed some tri websites in one of the post-marathon threads. I cant recall but I think one was something like beginnertriathlete.com. I looked at it, but I swim like a rock so I don't think tri's are in my future :blush:

Beth...wow...sounds like a full schedule! Be sure to let us know how you do. Glad to hear you're breathing better!

Heather...I was behind you most of the half...you didn't look overweight to me. But I think I know how you feel :grouphug: . I had 45 lbs to lose this time last year and thought all the training would do it. I did manage to lose 20, but was disappointed when I didn't just magically melt away the pounds. One of my goals for this season is to eat better during training...I think I tended to eat like crazy on the weekends and used my long runs to justify it all. And I feel a bit sad, too...I'd like to train up for the full with everyone who just did the half, but I don't think I can put that kind of time in with work and family.

Terri...I'm with you. I have a patient that's working on the 50 state thing...up to #35 so far. I have a list of to-do's for the future...Bolder Boulder, Mount Desert Island, Applefest, one of the RnR races...

Christa...let us know if that lottery thing comes through...I'll be sure to email you my birthday and wish list :smooth:

Liz...woohoo :banana: Welcome to the Garmin group!

Celeste...I have the Garmin with the HR monitor and don't use it. I haven't yet learned how to effectively train based on HR, but maybe something I try in the off-season. BTW...don't feel like you have to apologize for long posts around here :teeth:

Lily...your enthusiasm is contagious! I'm torn, just don't think I can put in the training time for the full. I'm kinda sad that so many who did the half this year are doing the full next year, but happy for them advancing their training. I'll sure have lots more people to cheer for in the full next year :cheer2: ...and I'll bring the WISH team sign next time so I'm more recognizable. Then y'all won't think I'm just some crazy chick yelling your names off your bibs :clown: .

Krista...I'm going to try training with the Clif Blocks for my next half. I felt AWFUL :sick: after WDW half and thinking maybe better nutritional support would help. After Sunny's GU experience, the blocks sound a lot safer to carry. I ordered from performancenutritionals.com...box of 12 packs for 17.99. Oh... :wizard: for the Steelers this weekend!

MelR...no wonder you think of parenting as cross-training. You guys always seem to have such a good time!

Nancy...glad to see your training's coming along. The Garmin was a huge help for me!

Tiff...looking forward to seeing you at Minnie! :banana:

Lisa...congrats on your new job!

Howard...congrats on your new job!

Minnie... :wizard: for healing!

Kelly...are you doing any of the Gasparilla races?

Susan...where are ya, dude? What's your 2006 race schedule looking like? And how 'bout those Panthers? :cheer2:

Sunny...I didn't get to see you much over the weekend, but cow wasn't one of the words that came to mind when you were cruising along on the full!

Maggie...on intervals, I do use set the Garmin for short runs and then follow the beeps. On long runs, I prefer to do the intervals myself. When the Garmin's set for intervals, it doesn't do the mile lap pacing and I like to see that on my long runs. My intervals are in 5 minute blocks so very easy to keep up with...I just run for 2 min on every multiple of 5.

Speaking of numbers...anyone else addicted to Sudoku? DD13 got a book for Xmas and now it's quite the rage at home and my office. Our Sunday paper has a particularly evil version that uses numbers and letters :scared1:

Celeste - how hilly is the SF event? Hills and I aren't exactly the best of friends :rolleyes2 .

Chimera - the Bolder Boulder is on my list, too. Want to improve the stamina before I hit that thin air, though.

Terri

Sara - Thank you for checking on the St. Louis one for me! It is only 3 hours away so it would be easy to drive to it.

Lisa - You are such a wealth of information on my back/hip problems. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to try and help me! I really don't think the chiro did much for me as I actually feel worse not better. I'm going to stick with the PT and take her the info on that sacro weggy.

Tomorrow I'm going to the local Y and trying the water hang deal the PT suggested. I'm also going to give some easy swimming a try.

Judy - What type of horses do you have? I have two Quarter Horse mares (very spoiled by the way).

Garmin Questions - I would love to purchase one of these. Should I wait for the new ones to come out or go ahead and get the 201? The amazon deal looks great!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

::MinnieMo

Minnie- the short answer is yes, according to the elevation profile it does seem hilly. A range of 450-625 doesn't seem like much until you think just what it means to got straight up 100 ft. That doesn't seem like much if your doing something like mountain climbing where the vertical climb can be measured in 1000s of feet but I can assure you that you will feel those hills. That being said, it is something that can be trained for so don't necessarily let it scare you off but don't be surprised either by the hills. It really looks like 3 decent size hills and then kind of rolling for the rest of the race for the 1/2.

Lynnda- www.beginnertriathlete.com, www.triathletemag.com, www.insidetri.com. The first is internet only that I found out about from one of the Army tri club guys and the other 2 are the online sites for monthly magazines(Triathlete and Inside Triathlon). Another place that seems to have quite a bit of information is simply www.active.com. Go to individual sports and triathlon is listed along with many others. I tend to use active.com more for a quick and dirty race calender planning tool but I see the articles and such even if I don't actually read them. I found a really cool link/ad on the BT site(www.jamtrisuits.com)- it's a little company that makes women's triathlon race power/skin suits. It's their only product and they are definitely women only when you see the colors(but it includes a lime greenish one).

Heather- maybe you can work out a deal with the DH that signed the kids up for soccer that you can ride with your group every other week while he does transpo and support duties. You really don't need to ride long every week to(or run for that matter) to get the endurance base needed to finish the MS 150. Maybe you can talk your friends into switching which MS 150 ride you do and do the one in Oct from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. There's something to be said for riding to the beach. Basically, just don't get too down on yourself. You've accomplished lots of great things and will continue to do so.

Did 120 minutes on the bike trainer today spinning easy while watching Miss Congeniality 2 and then went outside and ran ~30 minutes. The run didn't feel bad at all- maybe there is something to the concept of not killing your legs on the bike and then trying to run on them :teeth: Unfortunately, races, at least shorter distance triathlons which in my plan this year are olympic distance races(1.5 K/40 K/10 K), are all about pushing from the get go but I have many weeks of training before I need to start putting higher intensity work in. Since my main focus this year, my AAA race by season planning, is an Ironman in September, most of this year will be endurance, endurance, followed by more endurance. My 'high intensity' training most of the time will come from the races I do and since many of those are half ironmans themselves...I'll be getting plenty of my favorite drug, LSD.

Just so I don't get reported to the state medical board- LSD=Long Slow Distance

chimera said:
Christa...let us know if that lottery thing comes through...I'll be sure to email you my birthday and wish list :smooth:
I am just :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:! I was not real clear on the lottery thing! There are so many people who sign up for NY Marathon that they randomly pick people to run. They call it the lottery. So even if I sign up, I may not get in. It is all chance. :confused3
You can still email me the b-day lists. If I win the real lottery...I'll hook all you guys up. :lmao:
Christa

I also had a 5 mile walk/run today-- I did it on the treadmill since it is COLD :cold: here (ok, it's actually warm for January, but still too cold for me!!)-- I had a 14:01 mile pace, but I think this treadmill was way off and needs to be tuned becuase it seemed WAY faster than it usually is when I use the treadmill during the week-- about 2.5 miles in, though, I actually fell into pace, and by the end of the 5 miles, I was ready to keep going!! It was great!!

Heather-- I am having the same problem trying to eat right-- I really need to lose weight, but yet I still keep eating JUNK!!! Once I start on WW, I can stay for awhile, but one day out of sync, and I just stop every day!! I wish I can get to the reason why I can't just make a mistake and move on!!!

pixiedust: to everyone! (I'm not sure I've seen this smilie before, and I wanted to use it :-))

Heather - I'm sorry you feel so discouraged! I think when you look at your pictures from the 1/2, you should see an endurance athlete who accomplished something that most people wouldn't even consider doing!

Christa - I hope you get picked!!!!

My parents are in town, so phil and i went on a date last night to the Hobbs Wildlife Management Area (don't worry, this isn't going anywhere weird!). We met our friends, who also had a baby sitter and did a night navigation course and then a single track mt. bike ride in the dark. We got in at about 11:30 pm and i am tired today. Of course, true to form, I fell several times! I may try to go for a short run today and then a longer trail run on thursday.

By the way, I found a 50 mile trail run in april in Little Rock on some of my favorite trails (anyone game???) I probably couldn't finish it anyway, and I doubt I could make the time cutoffs, but I might try it anyway (just to see)

Mel, so many people are into Sudoku, but sadly I know nothing about it. Maybe, I should learn in my free time! :sunny:

Heather, hang in there! Hopefully, something will work out so you can still train for the bike ride. Is that 150 miles? :faint: Good for you.

Terri, Bolder Boulder, I don't even know what that is, but it doesn't sound easy.

Minnie, we live three hours from St. Louis, too. :) From what I hear, St. Louis is hilly. My friend ran the full a few times. BQ'd once, (but he runs...fast) and dropped out another. :blush:

Lynn, you definately have endurance!!! Your race schedule wears me out just looking at it. Keep up the excellent work!!! :cheer2:

Christa, I've been thinking about entering the NYC lotto, too. It will probably take three years for me to get in. Will I still be running marathons? ;)

Disney Girl, congrats on your run/walk! :woohoo:

As for me, I seem to be having classic over-training symptoms. Did 18 on Friday...shuffled my way to the end. I was so tired, but couldn't sleep well Friday night. :sad2: It's been a long time since I've done high mileage. And to think, I have a 20 miler this week. Help!!!! :crazy:

I did a little research on the new Garmin's. Is anyone planning on getting one? I can't wait to hear about the new vs old. :smooth:

Keep up the good work with training.

Sara

TEK224 said:
My family and friends officially think I lost my mind. I keep telling them, "Life's an Adventure". And I think I convinced 2 of them to do the WDW 1/2 in 2007.

Yours, too? :rotfl2: Actually, though, I think we are all "mini-John Binghams" in our own cirlces, encouraging people to get fit and showing them anyone can do it!

Mel- I'm a total puzzle addict. Sudoko is a huge rage where I work, we can't get enough. DS got Blokus for Christmas and we play it every night. I love seeing him learn strategy. I'm also addicted to Traffic Jam (the grid game you have to move your cars on). That was supposed to be for DS but I take it away from him all the time!

Sara-- I've been having lots of trouble sleeping. Is that a sign of over training? I fall asleep ok, but many nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM and can't go back to sleep. I know I need more than 4 hours sleep per night!

Heather and others on weight: How about an "Accountability Thread?". I'll start one and if you're interested, join in.

I'm getting ready to take DS to the track, or the "Circle of Wonder" as he calls it. Its so gorgeous out again today. I really wish we could have had this weather in December for that 22miler!

Sunny

Happy Sunday!!! These posts sure add up quicking. I'm sorry I don't get to check in very often. :wizard: to everyone on their various forms of training. I love to read about all the WISHers doing Tri's. I'd love to be able to do one at some point in my life...but the swimming portion may be a threat to my life. I'm not very skilled at swimming.

Sunny: I'd love to be a part of a WW accountability thread. I'm only 4.8 pounds away from my WW goal, but I've been playing with those last few pounds for a couple of months now. I'm planning on losing more after reaching my WW goal, but I'd love some motivation to get to that first goal.

I had an ok run yesterday. It was really humid here. I had a hard time breathing. I'm still trying to work up to running a 5K by April. Hopefully, I'll be well past that distance in my training by that time.

Congrats to Lisa and Howard on the new jobs! :cheer2: I will hopefully be checking in soon to let everyone know that I have a new job. I'm still waiting to hear about how my interview went. The woman hiring for the position is still in her first round of interviews.

I have a really busy work week coming up. I'll try to check back in soon. I hope everyone has a great week!!

Trying to keep up here is almost impossible!!

I am trying to get back into the swing too. I just seem to have so slacked since getting back home.

Great motivator I signed up for the a 1/2 here in Boston in March - Race to Remember which used to be Charbo's Run. The guys at worked kinda pushed me into it so I guess I gotta try and improve my time.

I would love to get it under 3 hrs this time, fiure that is realistic now I am know some of the mistakes I made in WDW.

I would love to get close to 2:30 for the DL 1/2, not sure if that is realistic though. I did a 15:03 pace average in WDW, the last mile was at a 17:00 - really bad.

GOOD NEWS though - my son is gonna do the DL with me!! I am so excited her wanted to plus Mom & son trip for my Birthday - RACE DAY 9/17!!

Heather - Please don't get down on yourself!! You've just completed an awesome feat and will only continue to improve. I definitely did not see an overweight person at WDW when we met.

MelR - Mtn biking in the dark sounds like lots of fun!! Glad to hear you & Phil got out for a date.

Sunny - I'm definitely up for an eating accountability thread. I also would like to lose some lbs to improve performance.

I'm also trying to get over my nagging cold. I did go outside for a nice easy run today. It is beautiful, relatively speaking, in NY today. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get outside.

I may have to buy a Garmin tomorrowas a Happy Birthday to me present!!

Happy training to all this week:banana:

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions about intervals. I would really like to get a Garmin. I too am wondering about the 201 versus the new upgraded ones coming out.

Advice from you who have already been there:
I am currently training for my first 5k and would really like to run the whole distance. However, my knees have been aching. Is that just part of being a beginner runner?

Also, does it make sense to train to run the whole 5k (Hal Higdon's plan) and then start a run/walk program when training for the Chicago long distance classic and Disney half. I am pretty sure I will want to start with intervals when training for distance.

Run/walkers: Do you all use the MFM training guide? Do you all run 4min/walk 1min? Do any of you run longer intervals?

Will the Garmin keep track of the distance/pace if I have it set for intervals? I think it was Chimera who mentioned it doesn't do the mile lap pacing when set for intervals and I am not quite sure what that means. :confused3

Thanks for being such a great source to us beginners. I definitely would that many of you are "mini-John Binghams" :cool1:

Have a great day!
Maggie

Someone was talking about the Midnight Sun run in anchorage. Note that for the full marathon--it is all off road on trails for the 2nd half. That might be why Sunny's friend had bad knee problems. Very tough--cannot really be walked.

Terri- have you looked at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco? It looks really cool and what a great city! I'm glad that you are entering more and more races- it gives me hope.

And you get a beautiful Tiffany necklace :)

Oopsy--posted on the old thread:

aladdinsgirl said:
Okay, question time. I don't like sports drinks and I didn't train with it in the half. I used power bars and water and I was completely fine, I didn't have any problems with hydration or electrolyte levels. I plan on doing the full in January, so my question is: can I continue to use the power bar and water only mixture for fuel or do I need to suck it up and learn to drink Power Aid? I know I have 11 months to figure all of this out, but it may take me 11 months to teach myself to drink Power Aid!

Krista

Not sure except to advise that at minimum..per our coaches recommendation--run with one of those salt packets (like at McD's)--be sure to keep it DRY. Take it at about mile 18-20. This will help your salt stores. Obviously drink water with it.

I didn't like ADE drinks either--but I did learn to consume them. They ended up being very welcoming once you are hitting high distances.

I also didn't want to do any sugarry supplements either (and I hate eating during my run unless it is an orange--so bars won't work.). I learned to eat Gu.

Do what you can and if you simply cannot tolerate it--drink lots of water and maybe take 2 hits of salt during your run (1/3 and 2/3's through roughly).

magslite said:
Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions about intervals. I would really like to get a Garmin. I too am wondering about the 201 versus the new upgraded ones coming out.

Advice from you who have already been there:
I am currently training for my first 5k and would really like to run the whole distance. However, my knees have been aching. Is that just part of being a beginner runner?

No aching knees are not normal---it is a sign of either a preexisting condition or taking on too much too soon too fast. Get thee to Barnes and Noble and buy MFM and you can read how John Bingham used to follow this philosophy of wearing his aches and pains like a badge of honor. Yes--when they are supposed to happen they are a badge...when you are starting out---not so much a badge.

Your achy knees may not want to run as fast--may benefit from walk breaks....a whole host of things. I am not sure of what you are doing right now in terms of exercise....so if you wish to post that to see if we can help you, that would be great.

RICE= Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation if it feels like an injury is coming.

Take off 3 days and see if the condition improves---then try exercising again at a slower pace and for a shorter session. If it still hurts--take another 3 days off and try again...and if it still hurts, time to see a doctor to see what the "source" of pain is (b/c the "cause" will be running and some doctors will just tell you to stop).

Some runners benefit from different gagdets that help keep things in place so that they don't grind while running. But if you find yourself relying on such gadgets--an actual diagnosis is good just to be sure that what you are doing will facilitate the running instead of just slowing down the onset of injury.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter