Wk of Dec 18--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Cam WTG - nice pace for 10 miler.

As this gets closer any other first timers getting erally nervous/excited? I am not sure which I am more of.

I did my 10 mile Friday, did maintain a 14:39 pace so I ampretty confident as I begin my taper.

The butterflies are getting really active!!

I got my shirts in the mail this weekend! Yeah! Thanks, Carrie!

I did my 20mile run a week ago. We went to WDW for a long weekend, for my birthday, and mostly to run somewhere warmer than here in MN! The run went well, much better than the 18 miler a couple of weeks ago. Must have been the Disney atmosphere! We did it in 3 hrs and 45 min. and were happy with that. After coming back to the room and showering afterwards, I could not warm up though. I felt like I was freezing inside even though I was curled up with my sweats under the covers!

As for tapering, I did a 10mile yesterday on the TM and I struggled the whole time, kept watching the clock and wondering if it was ever going to end! This Christmas season sure makes it hard to find the time, and I know my eating habits have not been very good this past week. I didn't have much to eat yesterday because we went to 2 Christmas parties over the weekend and probably ate more than I should have. I just had no energy for that 10miler! I've been pretty disciplined for the training part, just need to get the nutrition aspect where it should be!!

See ya soon!

Jodi - I have never done disney, but I did my first 1/2 last year and I was only doing an 11:00min/mile in training. I finished the half (which had quite a few hills) with a pace of 9:59! The most I had done prior to the race was a 10 mile run (with significant hills) and I did do a 15 mile trail run (about 3500 ft elevation gain and 1900ft. loss) I walked most of it. I would think based on my experience that your pace could be faster than your training pace.!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

To everyone who has done the WDW Half before......maybe a dumb question, but I am so new to all this. :blush:

If they are putting everyone in corrals based on estimated finish time, I am correct in assuming that not everyone starts at the same time? Or do they just bring you up to the start line in groups based on your corral?

If this is correct, how do you know how you are doing? Not that I will have to worry about this but how would you know if you were winning then? You wouldn't, right, because if say for instance you were in the third corral, you could be the fastest but not be in the front.

Or am I just amazingly confused???? :confused3

Maybe I should go this year even though I am not entered so I can better understand.

BTW I am already planning on some local halfs so I won't be such an amateur when the WDW Half rolls around. :flower:

Yikes! I had to go back and edit my post.
ETA: I meant I had the TM set to do the minimum speed I needed to "qualify" as a participant. I cannot run fast. But, nonetheless, I DID IT! I will be at the end, but I plan to be there and over within the time permitted!

Thanks to EVERYONE for your support to ALL of us. Those of you who are here and not able to participate are encouraging more than you can imagine. I am thankful that you are helping us along.

Christa, great pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

MickeySP, I love your post. It reminds me of me at this point last year. You will be fine! We will all be with you.

Kelly, about that "WALL," I figured as I am going to be near others along the point of my wall, I am hoping to gain/give encouragement to those around me. (Hope they don't think I'm crazy.) Folks were so nice last year during my half that I am expecting many of the same types of people to "boost" me along. I have learned that I should also give a boost or two.

Thanks to all for sharing in our big weekend reports. I am looking forward to making good use of the taper.

As I get bored, I cheer myself along:

Thunder, thunder, THUNDERATION!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

I had planned a final "long" run this past weekend to increase my confidence to finish the half...but things didn't go as planned. On Thursday evening, my husband's sister called and said "get up here fast, mom has taken a turn for the worse." She was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 months ago with a 6 month to 2 year life expectancy. My husband rushed home (3 hr drive to Va Beach), but she died early on Friday morning. :sad1: I stayed home with the kids throughout the weekend, and we are leaving tonight for Va Beach to attend the funeral tomorrow. I haven't run since last week, and my knee is hurting more than ever despite the "rest" (I made a doctor's appt for this Thursday). There will not likely be any time/energy for exercise this week, and I know I should rest the week after anyway to prepare for the race. The most I have ever done was one day of wogging 10 miles (and then my knee pain started). Before then I was only averaging 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. I feel guilty worrying about my ability to finish the race when there are bigger things to grieve... :guilty: but completing my first half-marathon is about more than just a WDW trip and I still need to do this. I was really counting on this week to build my final endurance. So my confidence in my ability to do the half has taken a nosedive!

Mazzy - I'm so sorry about your loss.

Don't worry about your other LR from an endurance standpoint. You did it last week. Most training programs for a 1/2 only call for a 10 mile LR anyway. As far as your knee goes, I'm sure your Dr. will give you good info, but it could be that rest would be better as you finish your training than putting additional stress on it with another LR.

Hey ya'll! :wave:

WOW can you believe that we are only 2.5 weeks away from our big day or days for those of us that are "goofy"? I for one am so excited! It's wierd, but I feel like Christmas is a hump to get over before the big event. I'm sure I need to ask forgiveness for feeling that way, but I am so focused on this race and Christmas is just in the way!
We did our last double LR this past weekend (12/24). I have to admit after I bonked so hard during the Charlotte marathon I was a little apprehensive about this run. Well....... WE NAILED IT!!! Even in the freezing cold icy streets (temps were in the 20s & 30s) we knocked it out, with little complaints...for me that is a big deal b/c I complain and whine all the time. We finished the big run in a little over 4 hours. Again, for me this is a big deal.

It's really cool to look over your posts and see how everyone is fairing at this point in our training. I don't think there is anyone that doesn't think they can finish their race. Did you ever think you'd get this far when you started training last summer? That's how I felt the first year I ran. Just think how far you have come, and for the most part your training is done. :cool1:

I haven't recieved my shirt yet :confused3 I'm sure it was sent to my old address so I won't start panicing yet.

Today is a rest day for me. After the double LR I'm taking two days off to recoup, then cycle class tomorrow then run short Wednesday.

Until later,
~bree~

Wall, what wall, I see no wall in front of me, just wide clear open spaces, not a brick in sight, la la la la - spot the person not even entertaining the idea of said wall!!!! From what I've been told the wall occurs when you run out of glycogen and can be avoided by eating well a couple of days before and keeping up your sugar levels on the day - and that will be my excuse for savaging the candy man at mile 19 (or wherever he is).

Also, last minute tip I picked up from the training guru here. If, as probably will occur in Fla in Jan, you're running a race where temperatures vary dramatically (ie cold start, hot finish), you must drink more early than maybe you would normally. Apparently, this is tough conditions to run in (more than steady heat) as your body can't catch up with the hydration as fast as the temps can rise - and by the time you get to the end you're dehydrated. Don't want to scare anyone but he said that was the one thing he felt could catch me out - so don't skip those water stops at the start - remember, by the time you feel thirsty you're already dehydrated. That's my lot today: Helen

Mazzy, sorry about your loss. It has been difficult to get it going for you hasn't it? You do what you can and keep in mind you did your 10 miles. Continue doing what you can according to the taper plan. As long as you keep putting steps in and don't overdo you may still be able to pull it off! Strength to you and family as you go through this time.

Helen, there's a candy man! :earseek: Save me some! I have visions of being last and everything will be depleted by those b4 me.

Everyone, Save some for Lily! I'll be behind ya. :teeth:

I got my shirt! It is wonderful. I will try it out this week. Thank you Carrie and Sunny!

Lily said she had visions of the candy being gone b/4 she got there. I have been having dreams AGAIN. Last night I dreamed i had to pack so fast that I forgot to pack any of my running clothes and shoes. I wasn't too worried about getting them in time for the race. I figured I'd go to downtown disney and get them in that store that has the sports clothes, but in my dream, i couldn't find my kind of shoes!!!! My biggest concern (in my dream) was the additional $$$ I was going to have to dish out to pay for something that I had impulsively signed up for! (guess who is feeling guilty about buying shoes, signing up for an expensive race, buying plane tickets and dragging my family on a vacation that we normally would not have taken!!) In reality, i probably will remember my shoes and the boy (age 3) will love WDW so much that it will all be worth it!!! Plus, i really wanted that goofy medal (i'm not sure why, it just sounded cool to me!)

I got my shirt today, too! :goodvibes Thanks Carrie! It looks great!!! :flower:

I did my 20 miles on Saturday. It wasn't a stonker because I actually did it, and finished under a 15 minute pace, but it wasn't exactly pleasant. I'm finishing up antibiotics for bronchitis, so I knew to take it easy. Weather didn't want to cooperate... drizzly rain from mile 5 to mile 17, then it poured the last three miles. My knee did pretty well, although that leg cramped pretty bad at mile 12. Lots of stretching and shorter intervals, and it did okay. But, I figure Disney has to be better than that run, so bring it on!!! :cool1:

DH (wfloyd) did his long run last Saturday - 24 1/4 miles. He is doing awesome!!! :teeth:

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!! See you all SOON!!! :banana:

Melissa - Thanks for the feedback, that's encouraging info! I'm counting on the fact that WDW is all flat & therefore my times may decrease!

Mazzy - Sorry for you & your husband's loss. From what I've read here about tapering, & injuries & resting, I think you'll be ok missing this past run. You just need to get your head in the right place. You can still do it. In light of recent events you'll be spending a lot of time taking care of people in your life, but don't forget to take care of yourself, i.e. training when you can, eating right, & keeping a positive attitude about this race. It 's obvious that it's very important to you & the idea of finishing it makes you very happy...and you know what they say...if Mommy isn't happy, no one's happy! Take care.

Jodi

Mazzy - So sorry for your loss. :grouphug: and :wizard: :wizard: to you and your family.

Carrie - I got my shirts today. They look great and feel so soft. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again to you and to Sunny for the design. :)

BTW - I was out shopping today and found a pair of adidas warm up pants, black with lime green stripes. Would have gotten the matching jacket, but they didn't have any in my size.

Terri

Mazzy - I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Congrats to all the l-lr finishers!! We are going to do this!!!!!

Yes Mel, teh tic's were well worth it.

BTW - There were a couple rubber-necking bkiers who had to read the front of my shirt when passing, as they must have liked the back!

More news - Well, Mom and dad were originally going to come watch teh marathon. They have only mised 2 of my runs ever (and they were taking db to college for those). Well, ddad was diagnosed with colon cancer in June. he had a section of colon removed in July and has been doing chemo since Sept. Now, we have been told this will take care of it and dad is doing very well, but I really wanted them to make it (even though I was afraid at first ti would cramp my WDW style). Well, our awesome 20-miler must have inspired them. Ddad is afraid to fly, as there are too many germs on planes this time of year, but it's his off-treatment weekend and they will drive down (20 hours each way). The will arrive Thur late or Friday and leave again Sunday afternoon. Yikes! That's alot of driving!!!! I cannot believe they are coming! You cannot believe what this means to me. I'm getting sooo excited!!!

I got my shirt on Saturday, the day after my final LR. It brought tears to my eyes, the timing and all. I bought two sleeveless and I may end up butchering one up for the race. I discovered way back, and then again on my 22 miler that I cannot have a shirt that rests against my collar bone. I have two big holes from chafing over 22 miles. Its amazing how long distance can turn a tiny little movement of feather light material into the equivalent of sand paper! So I might try cutting out the neck on one and see how it works. But I love them :love:

I did upperbody weights on Saturday, rested Sunday and then did 50 minutes cardio and upperbody weights yesterday. Today will be my first run since the dreaded 22 miler. And yes, it will be on the TM again :rolleyes: But only 6 miles. phew.

I went to see The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe on Sunday. OK, I think I am just a tad emotional these days. I was blubbering like a baby through the whole movie. I think they did a fantastic job with one of my all-time favorite books.

As for my taper party. Well, Friday I had a very dainty, well planned out, controlled "splurge". Then Saturday night I have my parents over for dinner and somehow lost total control which slid all the way into Monday. I am a blimp. And I can't just run it off! Oh I wish I was a more sensible person sometimes :blush:

Sunny

Mazzy- So sorry to hear about your loss. :grouphug:

Well, i made it back from TO in one piece. The usual 5.75 hour drive took us 8 hours on the way out due to the weather. It took us 3 hours to get from Hamilton to Toronto (which is usually about 45 minutes, tops). :rolleyes: But the trip was very much needed after working so hard. I did manage to get some fantastic workouts in while there, which obviously bodes well.

I will be completing my 20-miler either today or tomorrow depending on if things slow down here for me at work or not. And then it's taper, taper, taper. I can't believe I leave for Orlando in 15 days. Thanks to everyone on this board for helping me get to the start line. :)

Carrie- Atlanta, huh?? Great pace!!

It sounds like everyone had great long runs this weekend!! Can't wait to actually meet a lot of you (4pm at Trails End, right??)

Well, back to work!

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Good luck on the 20-miler solo! FYI - DH and I figure you could at 20% to your mileage btwn snow/ice and dry pavement conditions.

Good luck, Solo!

I'm just back from my first "taper" run. What an odd sensation-- stepping off the TM before I am ready to collapse! The first two miles were awful, I hated every step and tried desparately to come up with a reason to ditch the effort. But by mile 3 I was on cloud 9. By mile 6 I was quite dissappointed that I had to stop! I rounded it out to 6.6 to make an even quarter.

Sunny

Sunny - You must have a much better capacity for recovery than i do. I have not wanted to run an inch since my 20 miles last monday.

I have done 1 5 mile run and i just got back from 4. I am so slow and so tired!!! I did kayak really well today though!! We went this morning while the boy was in school and it was lightly snowing, so the lake was beautiful and cold! We paddled up to a point that we had mountian biked in the past.

I have a 12 miler tomorrow and a short speedworkout later in the week. I think I'm really going to have to rest. I am not feeling the desire to run at this point! my taper may include every other sport!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter