Wk of Dec 18--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Warning...Evil Queen advice ahead!
As I predicted, there are a few of us that are trying not to taper! Trying to get more mileage in is not good right b/4 a marathon. Plan the race and race the plan...this includes training too. Don't try to get 1 last LLR in to boost confidence or up the mileage during the week. We are as trained as we can get at this point! Take it easy and trust the training to get you through.

Melissa - We talk like that in NC too!

Helen - Good luck on the run, flight and everything. Have a great time!

We are leaving for WDW Dec. 27th with the family! :love: Staying until the 2nd then driving back (8 hour drive). Then DH, some friends and I are flying back on the 5th for the marathon. WOW! Helen I may see you and not even know it! :goodvibes
I have a new running partner. She is furry, white, 12 lbs, and can out run anyone. She is my little Jack Russel, Zoe. I have taken her out twice and she LOVES it!

Christa

Love the tinsel story Helen!

Good advice Christa!! Zoe isn't replacing zoegril, is she???? :rotfl: Congrats on the new partner!

OK, hated going back to snow, slush and ice after running on dry pavement last weekend. :( There could be rain today and tomorrow, let's hope it doesn't freeze so I can have a clear path for teh Saturday 10-miler!

gatorphipps said:
Warning...Evil Queen advice ahead!

Oh I suppose you are referring to me :teeth: But honest, honest, honest, I have only slightly exceeded Hal Higdon's week 1 taper schedule:
Hal's
M: cross Tu: 5 W: 6 Th: 5 F: rest Sa: 4 Su: 12

I am doing:
M: cross Tu: 8 W: 6 Th: cross F: 12 Sa & Su mostly likely total rest aside from the frenzy of preparing for Christmas.

So EVIL QUEEN don't yell at me :earboy2:

But seriously, this will be a real challenge for me. Because long before marathon training I was obsessively working out, so pulling way back will be difficult. But I promise to heed the advice of thousands who have gone before me and know best. I really will.

But I will also continue to be honest, as this really is my therapy session :grouphug:

BTW, we are only 8 days away from seeing the extended forecast for race day on weather.com Right now Dec 30/31 are predicted to be highs of 70 and lows of 50s. I know that doesn't really mean a thing, the weather dice can roll anyway they chose! But it gives me a warm fuzzy thinking those temps might be real!

Sunny

OMG! Weather reports! That sounds perfect Sunny! Let's hope it is real!

Speaking of regional lingo and such. It dawned on me that currently you all talk just like me :rotfl2: Won't it be funny to hear each other's accents at Trail's End!!!!!!

Actually, Craig probably talks very similar to me being from Colorado and then moving to Mass. I don't have a Boston accent. But Dx has a serious one. When we lived in OH he had to repeat himself over and over because they couldn't understand him!

plutosmyfav said:
Speaking of regional lingo and such. It dawned on me that currently you all talk just like me :rotfl2: Won't it be funny to hear each other's accents at Trail's End!!!!!!

Actually, Craig probably talks very similar to me being from Colorado and then moving to Mass. I don't have a Boston accent. But Dx has a serious one. When we lived in OH he had to repeat himself over and over because they couldn't understand him!
That's funny Sunny! I met an online friend in Georgia. I knew she was from Georgia, but by golly I don't hear it on teh boards! Really caught me off guard with her sourthern accent. Duh....

Can wait to put faces and voices to these names!

plutosmyfav said:
Oh I suppose you are referring to me :teeth: But honest, honest, honest, I have only slightly exceeded Hal Higdon's week 1 taper schedule:
Hal's
M: cross Tu: 5 W: 6 Th: 5 F: rest Sa: 4 Su: 12

I am doing:
M: cross Tu: 8 W: 6 Th: cross F: 12 Sa & Su mostly likely total rest aside from the frenzy of preparing for Christmas.

So EVIL QUEEN don't yell at me :earboy2:
Actually, I was not referring to you. There is someone who said she wanted to get in another 18 - 20 mile run this weekend to build confidence. The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.

gatorphipps said:
The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.
Did not know that. Makes sense.

I finished my 20 miler today!! :banana: :banana:

My time was 3:30:20, so about 10:31/mile pace. I think I may not have been drinking enough water because I got really tight and sore around mile 15 and for the final two miles were just horrible. I'll take it, though. I do feel much more confident about the race than I did before the run, so yippee!! (BTW- I hit the half-marathon mark in 2:10:10-- by mile 17 I was wondering why I didn't just sign up for that!). The wind and cold were pretty bad and there were slushy roads to contend with-- but I'm hoping that won't be the case at Disney.

Now, finally, bring on the taper!

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hi everybody,

Just thought I would post a picture of me so you will recognize me if you see me marathon weekend. I am the tall exhausted looking one! Note the spiffy headgear! The little one with all of the energy is my niece. We were in the MK Sunday night for MVMCP.

Susan

IMG_0110.jpg

So nice to see you Susan!

Congrats Solo! Trust me, you ran that today, marathon will feel like heaven!!!! We purposely upped our drinking for our 20-miler, as we think that was one of many issues for the 18. I think that helped a lot.

wtpclc said:
Good advice Christa!! Zoe isn't replacing zoegril, is she???? :rotfl: Congrats on the new partner!

No Christa's Zoe is not replacing me (at least I hope not) ;) she "inherited" her Zoe recently, and actually this Zoegirl (me) is named after my Zoe (my dog) so now Christa and I both have dogs named Zoe....funny huh?

I just want to agree with Christa on the the taper thing. Most of us seem to be keeping with the taper schedule, but please be careful of trying to do too much betwen now and the race. The general rule is not to run any more miles than days before your race. So be wise in your running decisions the next couple weeks. If you are not trained by this point.......well you know.

Have not done a whole lot this week, have taken cycle class and run short. Our 14 mile is tomorrow and that's the last time I'll run with Christa until the race since she's leaving me and going to WDW after Christmas :sad2: What a stinker! I'm so jealous.

I hope you guys have a great Christmas.

~bree~

Good to hear Bree! That really is funny!

OK, I know you're all worried about me, but you don't have to tell me twice. No going overboard. lol!!! ;) ;) Like I'd ever have that problem! No IC living here!

gatorphipps said:
Actually, I was not referring to you. There is someone who said she wanted to get in another 18 - 20 mile run this weekend to build confidence. The rule of mileage is not to do any more miles than days b/4 the race.

Phew! The Evil Queen is not after me :teeth: I fully understand that training is done, my temptation right now is to endulge in the feeling of power, rather than let it boil up inside until race day!!!! If I skip lower body weights the week of the race (as planned) then my legs will be so powerful they just my pop up and knock down buildings without my permission :rotfl2:

Solo-- Congrats on completing training. Now you are ordered to have your Taper Party of One :cheer2:

Susan-- Is it just me? Your picture is about 1/10th of the size of a postage stamp on my pc. I can't see you :(

I'm just back from my office party. I controlled my eating quite well if I do say so myself!!!! We played a game where you have a name stuck to your back and you go around asking yes or no questions to figure out who you are. They made me Evil kneivel :rotfl: I thought that was a riot! Also very hard to guess but I got it.

Sunny

Keep forgetting to post this. This is what our beautiful bike path looks like now.

IMG_1032.jpg

The pic is huge on my pc. Wonder why. I'm learning this digital thing and I'm pretty bad at it right now.

I think I fixed it but it's probably gigantic again!

Susan it came out great! Wow you really are a Panther girl!!!!

Carrie that's about what my bike path looks like now, too. Except mine is covered in ski tracks. I really want a pair of xt skis for Christmas!

Guess who doesn't have any work today and so is officially on holiday - hooray!! And, being even more smug, by 9.15am this morning I'd done my final bits of shopping, hit the post office and been to the bank. Most people here are finishing work at 12.00 so I figured I'd best get down to the mall before choas ensues - as it was the car park was full when I came out. Haven't done the 12 mile run though - the weather's not great today and so I'll take my chances on tomorrow, then stiffen up nicely on my 12 hour flight!!!.

I am packed and ready - and very happy to hear Sunny's weather forecast as I want to wear pretty clothes in Disney not my jeans and a fleece!!

Christa - you wont' find me at WDW over Xmas (though anyone in Vegas better watch out). Don't get to Orlando until the 29th, but should you be lurking in any outlet malls, or Universal studios on New Years Eve, and see a British girl with yellow Hello Kitty Flip Flops (relying on Sunny's forecast there again!!!) that reveal two black toenails, just come on over!!!!!!

See you soon - ooh isn't that wierd! Helen

Whining alert!

Today was THE coldest day of training for me so far...46 when I left this am (I know, I know... :charac2: ). I felt awful the whole time, like I couldn't breathe, couldn't lift my legs high enough or move them fast enough. I was really worried...what if the morning of the race is below 50? But my pace was fabulous...13:53.! Go figure. :confused3

I have one of those Nike fleece headband things to cover my ears 'cause I get wicked headaches if my ears get cold inside. I tried it today, but had some issues. Can anyone explain the proper way to wear it without looking kinda dorky? My hair was sticking out everywhere :scared1:

Bree...you said something about Xmas a few pages back that seemed familiar. I've kinda not been into it this year, I think because I've been more concerned about training. Now that we're training...and 20 people will be here Sun looking for food...I'm certainly more into it. I think it's more abject terror at how far behind I am than joy ;)

Solo...congrats on your LR! Yes, 4pm at TE to meet and greet, then we start eating at 4:30. I'll have a big Lime green sign so we can find each other.

Helen...the tinsel sounds like a nice touch! Glad we could share some Suth'n inflections with you...after all, you've given us stonker and loo roll!

BTW...I hope no one's disappointed...no one in my family has an accent.

Jennifer...congrats on your book! Now I'll need to get both yours and Helen's autographs ;)

Carrie...that's a pretty amazing photo! Wasn't that a lake last time we saw it?

Susan...what a great photo! Nice to finally meet you!

Sunny...I've been thinking about the 7-day forecast, too. Weather is pretty unpredictable this time of year, so we'll know more as we get closer. I just hope there's no arctic blast coldfront on its way that week...I can deal with your 50s to 70s prediction.

I think those of you who've lost motivation with the taper can add me to your list. Seems like we've trained so hard up to this point, it's odd to be doing less. I'm trying to look at it as a way to stay conditioned and that this part is just as important as increasing mileage and pace, but it's still weird.

1. When do you start your Garmin? As you cross the start line, or for those of us near the back corrals, as soon as the starting gun goes off? I was planning to start when I cross the start line, but wondered if the other way was better.

2. What if we can't find each other before/after the races? I'd hate to miss the chance to meet any of you.

3. If I'm going to be wearing a lot of layers during the dark thirty wait before the race, wearing a few layers to start the race, then stripping them off and tossing them to the side during the race, where should I pin my race number? On my pants?

4. Why can I never remember to put Chapstick on until after I start a run? I always think I should, but don't seem to remember it until I'm part way in.

5. Which bus should I plan to take to the start? I don't really want to get on the 3am bus as getting there too early could be bad. I'm trying to balance waiting in the potential cold too long vs getting there too late to get a good place in the corral.

6. Potty time...I'm going to try to go 3 or 4 times before the race starts, but does that mean I'll lose my place in the corral.

7. Any halfers want to meet at BCV Sun morning to cheer on the fullers? We could grab breakfast/lunch at Boardwalk then watch as our teammates cruise through mile 24.

8. Will I drive myself, my family and y'all nuts with all these ramblings by race day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter