Within the 10 day window, can we reduce our points?

You would have to rescind and DVC would do a new contract. That's easy to do with a fax and I'd also call.

You have this one small 10 day window to do this or your locked in. When there's any question at all I 100% recommend taking advantage of that ability and then taking a little time to examine how you want to use DVC and review if owning is even the way to go. You're lucky to have realized you may want to go a slightly different route while you still have the ability to change it up!

Then, once you have a plan your comfortable with you can either call and do the purchase direct, buy resale or a combination of both, or even not to buy but continue off site, with mods, or even renting.

If buying and you do think you'd like BWV you might think of buying that first and then adding on the poly direct after you close on the BWV. Direct has all the UYs available at the Poly so it's simple to match up to an existing UY but when you're having to match up a resale to an existing UY then you become restricted to whatever contracts people are selling in the UY at the time you're ready to buy. There's usually at least 2 or 3 UYs that will be optimal for a buyer so if your not already tied to one you'll have a larger pool too look at. Then DVC will match that UY for the Poly points.

Poly will be there for quite awhile to buy. You could re-initiate the properly sized purchase tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.
Thank you very much. Helpful info.

Getting back to the original question. Be aware of what your rights are within that 10 day period. You have the right to cancel. You do not have any stated right to change the contract's number of points. That right to cancel can legally only be exercised in writing. Your contract for sale, most likely at the end above your signtures, should provide a statement of your cancellation right, the address you need to send notice of cancellation to, and that you can also fax the notice to a given a facsimile number.

If you fail to properly cancel and the 10 day period passes, then you are bound to contiune to complete the sale made. They will likely let you back out after that 10 day period but the contract provides that, if they do, you lose everything you have already paid as a down payment.

In other words, you might be considering calling your guide and say you want to make it a 50 point contract and he might even agree. That is fine. But if you fail to send that written notice of cancellation, Disney can later require you to go through with the original contract regardless of what the sales rep might tell you. In fact, your contract also provides that the sales rep has no power to waive the written notice of cancellation required to cancel the contract.

In other words, regardless of what you do with the sales rep to do a change, it is imperative that you send that written notice of cancellation on time and also fax a copy when you mail it.

Thank you. We do have the paperwork. I appreciate the recommendation to fax and mail.

So you were able to book just 50 points?

That's determined by the point requirements for the nights you would most likely want to stay so what another person owns or how long they stay may not apply to your uses.

Do you feel comfortable with the ins and outs of membership or would you like direction to some additional info on how things work with UY, booking, point requirements etc? Sometimes guides skip those details or leave things out. Or in all the info being given at once in a spiel it gets jumbled together.

We cancelled a contract bought direct in February. Best decision we made- we weren't the biggest fans of Poly, and something just didn't sit right with us about the contract. If you don't feel 100% certain, cancel it. (We have since bought 2 resale contracts- so obviously DVC was right for us, but neither Poly nor the price were.) Anyhow, as suggested above, we faxed and mailed. Easy peasy- no stress.

Thank you. We've been to Disney World about 15 times in the last six years. Sometimes as a couple only, sometimes as a nuclear family and sometimes as an extended family. We never thought the numbers made since for us to join DVC, as we have a mix of on-site moderate and off-site stays. But after the presentation thought that it could work for us. When we looked closer at the resorts, we realized our family of five (nuclear) would only fit in some of the one-bedroom and studios. Many places we would need two-bedroom units or multiple units. So we were considering lowering our points to use for just couple-only trips and paying cash onsite or staying off-site for the bigger trips until we decided if DVC would work for the larger family. Then our initial contract and mainentace fees would be lower.
Based on this information, I would certainly cancel your purchase and start over.

In particular, if you have been satisfied with offsite accommodations (some of which are nicer than DVC), I would either not buy anything or take a look at a different timeshare. Your costs would be much less and you'd have many more options. Use the money you saved to pay for the long weekend stays for the two of you onsite.

Also, the fallback position of only buying 50 points to use for couple-only trips sounds like you realize the initial purchase is a mistake and now you're trying to come up with some solution that will allow you to buy DVC. In other words, I think you may be trying too hard to make this work. I would really cancel, take a deep breath and then take a longer, clearer look at all the options.

Is this an add-on contract? You cannot purchase only 50 points direct if you do not already have another DVC contract.

This isnt true. We purchased 50 points at SSR direct from disney in april with no prior DVC account. This may be true on their current resorts (Alunani and Poly), I am not sure about that

Thank you all so much for your comments. You've helped focus our thought process and provided insight. We're going to cancel this contract, do some more research and see what is best for us.

Good to know. Our boys are 8, 12, and 15. So, like Bill said, staying five in a studio for a whole week is a bit cozy. As far as we can tell, DH and I plan to go to Disney together at least once a year or every other year. I don't know how long the boys will vacation with us. They enjoy Disney, but I'm not sure if (the two oldest especially) will be adult Disney fans.

So you were able to book just 50 points?

Our boys are 9 (well, tomorrow!), 13 & 15 - so very similar. I think the younger two will continue to be fans, but the oldest is definitely not as into it. We joke about him texting around the world at Epcot. ;) We're don't mind squeezing into a studio or normal room as long as it means more time at WDW - we spend very little time there. Our downtime is spent exploring our resort vs hanging in the rooms.

We actually bought resale, but from what I've read if you're adamant that you only want 50pts they'll do it to make the sale.

DVC high season is from September through January marathon weekend

What makes September high season? That's typically the timeframe my husband and I visit. I understand the rest of the year, just not why September (other than maybe a soft opening for Food&Wine?).

What makes September high season? That's typically the timeframe my husband and I visit. I understand the rest of the year, just not why September (other than maybe a soft opening for Food&Wine?).
For DVC? September 1-30 is part of Adventure Season, which is to say "cheap points." Most kids are just back in school, so for those with liberty to travel then, it's a combo of lower overall crowds (since DVC is only part of actual crowd -- there's on- and off-site resorts, plus locals, who make up a lot of it) with appealing low point costs for rooms.

Food and Wine is starting much earlier now vs a few years ago..

Actually, most of Sep including Labor Day weekend is a moderate DVC demand time when you can find many things open at near park resorts at 7 months out other than possibly certain usual supects that often book even during moderate and slow times during the year before 7 months out, to-wit, AKV value and club level, BWV standard and boardwalk view studios (and resulting 2BRs), BLT standard view, VGF studios, BWV GV's and the OKW GV's in the near Hospitality House booking category.

However, DVC's high demand season begins late September, usually about the last 5 nights, and runs through marathon weekend in January during which time getting anything at 7 months out at a near park resort can be a challenge, and you can even have issues for some things at 11 months out.

I suspect September demand pushes back a bit now that Food & Wine starts the 14th. Those low points are attractive to many.

Thank you all so much for your comments. You've helped focus our thought process and provided insight. We're going to cancel this contract, do some more research and see what is best for us.

good for you. If your not using the points outside of DVC resorts I suggest looking at resales. You can get more pts for the money. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!