Within 24 hours I left my job, my boyfriend, and life behind to go work for Walt Disney World!

Someday this will all be a hilarious story to tell your friends and family. Right now, I'm sure it doesn't feel like that. I'm so happy that you just keep fighting. You get knocked down, you get right back up. Not many "youngsters" (yep, from the wise old 36 year old) have that today. I just want to give you a big hug and a warm meal right now.

WOW!!!! I am a 47 year old woman and all I can say is "AWESOME"! You inspire me, it is great that you kept such a positive attitude. Believe it or not you are a role model to many.

Okay, phone calls are done with. It's never an easy thing to call your parents when your shaking in tears and can barely talk. "I'm alive. It's not an accident. No ones hurt..." I tried to tell them before I could get to what happened. I'm sure my dad was horrified, I don't think he's heard me cry since I was a preteen - if even! Like I said, it takes a lot to make me upset and feel defeated!

My family was supportive, no lecturing, and told me everything would be okay. It felt good to hear that, but I really didn't believe them.

I could bus down, but I would have to leave a lot behind. I only packed one suitcase and threw the rest of my belongings in my car, like my guitars and what not. I decided even though it would take up every penny I have, I was going to attempt to rent a car. Luckily I was a 25 minute drive to the closest airport, and I figured there should be plenty of rent-a-car options. The taxi to the airport was $50. Ouch. I set up everything with Alamo online. Because I was under 25 the prices were outrageous, but just to be behind the wheel and on my way again would be so relieving. I taxi over to the airport leaving all my belongings in my car except for my wallet, my phone, and my phone charger. I find the Alamo desk to check in. "You got this girl, it's all good." I told myself.

Everything ran smoothly, they asked for my drivers license.
"Unfortunately we can't accept this junior drivers license, and I don't think any of the businesses here will either."
"WHAT!? WHY?!" I rarely got aggressive but I was freaking out.
Because I still had the license I was given when I first got it and I was 17, it has a rule on the back that says something like "Drivers under the age of 18 are not permitted to drive between the hours of 12AM and 5AM"
I still don't understand why the wouldn't take my license even why it was still valid and just reading by birthday could tell you I am 21. "Okay then." I said once again with a smile on my face as I walked away. I went outside and found a place in the corner to sit. I started balling my eyes out one again. I was defeated. I can't rent a car. I wasted $50 getting here in a taxi for no reason. People where starring at me crying to myself as they walked by. I must of looked insane, I was basically having a mental break down.

I gathered myself and went back inside to check with each rent-a-car place to see what my options where. There where plenty of other places that said they would accept my license no problem. However they would need to be able to charge it to a credit card. I have one credit card, and of course it was already not only charge to the highest amount I could, but I managed to even over charge it, so it's not possible for me to use it. After spending 5 hours in the airport between crying, getting myself back together, and talking to rent-a-car places, I was defeated yet again. I was exhausted. I felt alone, and I felt hopeless. Sitting in the small airport food court, I felt even worse than I have all day. Once again I took a selfie to remember this moment. I had sweated and cried all my makeup off along with my hopes and dreams.
Gf5IIqQ.jpg

I was really trying to not get a hotel room for the night to save money, but at this point I didn't care at all. I wanted a shower, a bed, and to wake up with all my problems gone. I got a taxi back to my car to grab some things, and to a Holiday Inn Express. I texted everyone to let them know I was safe for the time being, and passed out.
HsWkO9P.jpg

I thought a night of good sleep would have me waking up with a fresh mind, but my emotional state was the same. I didn't even want to get out of bed. I wanted to stay there forever, sleeping, not thinking. Like I said, I know it seems silly, but it just seems like there is no fix to this.

I rolled out of bed and took another shower. It was 9AM and I had to be checked out by 11AM, so I needed a plan. In the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel the night before I told the driver my story. He was mostly laughing at me because my story was so hopeless it was funny. Maybe someday I'll look back and laugh but not anytime too soon. He told me something similar happened to a family he met before and they ended up renting a U-haul to drive down the rest of the way. I laughed it off at the time, but this morning I was considering it. I went onto their site to see what the deal was. You book it online with a credit card, but YOU CAN PAY IN CASH. Oh my freakin' goodness, I might have to do this. I saw that they had pick up trucks to rent and I got so relieved. I'm not the best driver, and my family was already terrified at the idea of me driving to FL by myself in my toyota corolla, I can't imagine driving a huge u-haul truck! Luckily I booked a pick up truck and called a taxi to come get me.

I was excited that this might work out, but at this point I didn't get my expectations up too high. Maybe they would still need to charge my card, or maybe they won't accept my license. It's the only choice I had so I packed up and headed down to the lobby to wait for my taxi. Since I was in the middle of no where I had about an hours wait.
As I got into the lobby, I saw a few food items for sale. "FOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!" I thought. I just realized I hadn't consumed one thing since yesterday morning. That's how you really know that I was emotionally distressed!!! KHALEE!? Not eat?! That's not a thing. hahaha.
My options where slim picking, but powdered donuts and a redbull it was! Breakfast of a champion, am I right? :cool1:
My taxi got there. It was a 4 minute drive from the hotel room to the Uhaul pickup place but it was on a highway so I walking wasn't an option. The taxi minimum was $50. UGH. :(
We pulled into this place that looked like an old tow yard. Some man came out SCREAMING at the taxi driver "THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY WHAT DO YOU THINK YOURE DOING HERE BLAH BLAH BLAH." "Oh my gosh, please don't be the one I'm renting from," I thought. He was awful. We made one turn to early and the place I was looking for was in the back of the crazy mans place. I got out and was greeted by a nice man. I asked him if he had any daughters, and he said he had 3 in college. "Perfect." I said and laughed, hoping he would give me some sympathy. I told him my story, and what was going on. He wasn't as understanding as I hoped, but he was nice enough.
"Well, Khalee I have bad news for you." He said.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I asked what he was talking about. "Unfortunately the smallest truck we have right now is our 15 foot moving truck." he said. "I'LL TAKE IT. NO PROBLEM." I blurted out.

Within ten minutes I was on the road behind the wheel of a HUGE 15 Foot truck! OH.MY.GOD. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!? I can't even drive for 5 minutes in this huge truck NEVERMIND drive to Orlando....
But I had no other choice. I'm doing it. This is happening. I AM NOT GIVING UP.

I drove around for about 20 minutes to try to get the hang of having to drive while only using mirrors to navigate. I drove to my old toyota, packed up my things and hit the road. The HUGE Uhaul looked hilarious with my tiny amount of things.

I ask everyone for their donations of positive thoughts, and prayers to whatever or whomever you believe in! I can't believe this is what it's come to.
4R1B6zx.jpg

I'm happy, and trying to remain positive, but look at the fear in my eyes!!!!
f4wcmfm.jpg

Here we go.
I don't post a lot but I send you lots of good luck and positive thoughts. I am on the edge of my seat ..... Are you there ?

Good for you! I'm so glad your family was supportive. Keep on truckin'. Lol.
-Lindsey

Wow... I hope you made it to Orlando okay! Do you have a place to stay once you get there? Hopefully you can apply for another credit card to help get you through this transition. You are braver than I am - hope it all works out for you!

Wow... I hope you made it to Orlando okay! Do you have a place to stay once you get there? Hopefully you can apply for another credit card to help get you through this transition. You are braver than I am - hope it all works out for you!

My thoughts exactly! I

I usually don't post a lot. I'm a great lurker, but I have to reply to your trip report. You are one strong resilient young woman! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for news. I have no doubt your going to make it to Disney and start your exciting new chapter in your life!

Holy crap! What a story!! I so admire you & your positive attitude. Can't wait to hear what happens next!

I MADE IT!
I AM IN ORLANDO!!!!!!

The bright blue skies with the white puffy clouds!!! The palm trees!!! The cheap awful tourists shops on every corner!! I'm here and I love it all!!!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support - Each comment helps me more than you could ever know. All of you that want to see me when your down here and give me a hug - I'll take all the hugs I can get!

I can't believe I drove that huge truck! I pretended to have confidence in driving it and it worked. I was so horrified. I didn't even have enough money to buy the insurance on it - so i was so SCREWED if anything happened!
I am just happy to be here. I really am. I am lucky enough to stay with a hairdressing client of mine that used to live back in Massachusetts who just moved to Orlando a few months ago. Luckily, her family is letting me stay with them until I can get settled somewhere. I don't know what I would do without them!

I know you've all come to get to know me and my cheesy, positive personality but I want to be completely real with you right now. As relieved and as good as it feels to be here, I am still feelings so down guys. I have to return the Uhaul and I don't have a way to get around. My friends and family promised me everything would be okay and everything would work out, but no one has answers. No one can afford to help...and it's not their job to do so. I know this is the risk I took coming down here.

But one of the things I was most excited about was actually moving to live in Orlando.. to make a life here. I'm beyond happy to work at WDW and make magic everyday, but I've done that before on the college program. I also took the bus system on the college program, where you would have to leave 2 hours early to make it to work, and get home 2 hours after your shift. I didn't get to explore Florida before. This was supposed to be it. I'm 21 now, I had a car. I was going to not just work, but live. Get out there, explore shows, bars, awful tourist spots, downtown, and ALL the attractions this area has to offer!

What now? I'm here, but I have no transportation. No one can afford to help me. My training schedule isn't enough hours to make any good amount to save, and that's for a few weeks. I just still feel so hopeless, so let down. The anxiety of not knowing how I'm going to get to work is unbearable. I'm beyond grateful that I have all of you to vent to. The positive words and thoughts help so much. I apologize if I sound like a basket case right now - but that's how I feel! haha.
For now - PLEASE KEEP THE POSITIVE COMMENTS COMING. <3
I just needed to let you all know I made it, and vent. I promise my next update will be more exciting - somehow... with pictures!

Your story has been an inspiration to me. I am a 13 year old girl who loves Walt Disney World so much. My dream has always been to work as a Character in the Parks(I have the small size for it) when I get older. Your story has made me realize that it can come true. I also want to do the Disney College Program. I am excited to hear what is up next for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter