Within 24 hours I left my job, my boyfriend, and life behind to go work for Walt Disney World!

DreamLikeWalt

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone :earsgirl: and welcome to my new, crazy, and exciting life! (And first ever trip report...eh.. life report? :thumbsup2)
You read correctly! I did it! I did what I've always dreamed of doing!!! Okay well.. I'm only 21 years old.... but I've still thought of it every day since I stepped my foot in the magical land of WDW!
Well then... Lets start with my past so we can move on to the present!
pPXBk0I.jpg

Hi!!!! My name is Khalee and I am 21 years old. If you can't tell, I'm silly and I love vibrant hair! The perfect way to describe me is "Metalhead meets Disney Princess." haha. I am from a suburb right outside Boston, Massachusetts. I have been going to WDW since I was 8 years old. My mother and I were on a big family vacation, and we decided to go off on our own since we were with younger children who didn't want to do everything. I remember it like yesterday. My mother and I ran off into tomorrow land, and walked right on to Space Mountain not knowing what it was. We walked off that attraction as different people. We were crying so hard we were laughing! We had such an exhilarating time exploring magic kingdom and not knowing what was next! It was truly a land full of adventure and magic! We got the Disney bug, and within a week of being home my mom had booked our first of many many mother daughter trips. From then on, as you all can relate... if we weren't in Disney, we were planning our next trip, on the dis, or listening to the dis unplugged to get our Disney fix. Here is my mom and I back in the day! (2008ish)
VU4XeW1.jpg

Fast forward to 2013, where I lasted one week in college before applying for the Disney College Program. I has an amazing time working in Disney's Animal Kingdom as a photopass photographer for Feb-Aug 2013. As much as I wanted to stay with Disney, I was signed up to start another passion of mine that I did not want to let go of - cosmetology school.
6W5TyL9.jpg

I went through hairdressing school and loved the company I was with so much I was hired to work for them and eventually teach for them! Which FINALLY brings us to the present! Don't get me wrong - I LOVE teaching hairdressing. It fits my personally so well. I LOVED being able to watch others grow as artists and become inspired by the world around them... but there was something in my life missing. As happy as I was with my current life, I still missed the magic. Here is a photo of me as a student in hairdressing school! This photo was on the day of the fundraiser I organized for Give Kids The World!
xO9Hdmu.jpg

Ever since my college program, I often found myself logging on to disneycareers.com just to dream and see what was available. It was the end of April this year, and I was laying in bed at around 2am on my Iphone and decided to see what jobs where available.....and there it was... "Disney Photopass - Seasonal" My heart dropped. OH MY GOD. Without even thinking I applied. I instantly got an email to take the online quiz, and after that I was booking an appointment to go in for an interview. I couldn't speak. All I could think is "WHAT DID I JUST DO AND IS THIS REAL LIFE!?!"

Luckily I had a mother daughter trip planned to go to WDW in the first week of May. This would be the first mother daughter trip we were able to afford to go on after a 2 year hiatus! What are the chances I found this opportunity with a trip just around the corner?!

My interview was booked for May 6, 2015. I was so nervous. I knew that having done photopass before, I had a good chance of getting this role... but what did "seasonal" mean? I thought that meant working 150/hrs a year in WDW. Would this even be a possibility with my (good paying) full time teaching job? I didn't think so. Would it be worth leaving my amazing job at home to work for Disney seasonally? Would it be worth working an okay job at home to be able to make magic at WDW a few weeks a year? I went into this interview, excited but also an emotional wreck. If I got the job I would be depressed about having to leave my fulfilling job of teaching hairdressing.

On the other hand, if I didn't get the job with Disney my hopes and dreams would be crushed, and it's back to day dreaming for me! I wasn't sure what to expect or what to set myself up for emotionally. I went into this interview just to see what my options where. Little did I know that the "seasonal" job was for the summer.... (You'd think that idea would of crossed my mind?! rotfl)

It was May 6th. I was at Disney casting. "Khalee?", I heard my name being called by a smiling face of a cast member named Matt! I walked into his office shaking, trying to maintain my cool. Twenty minutes later, I was shaking his hand accepting a role to work as a photopass photographer in the Magic Kingdom for the summer.... oh and I start in one week.
OH. MY. GOD.
I didn't give it a second thought. MAGIC KINGDOM IS MY HOME FOR REAL! I walked out of casting and decided to quit my life in Boston, take a suitcase, my old 2000 Toyota Corolla and the $300 I had saved up, and move to Orlando for the summer at least but hopefully for good! :earseek:

wCpJCrp.jpg

Hopefully that wasn't TOO wordy?! I apologize! Wish me luck - and I hope you all enjoy following this new adventure I've embarked on! :dancer:

Last edited:

I will do my best to find you next week and just shake your hand for taking this risky and amazing chance in life! You just simply Rock for going for it! So many chicken out!

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

You go girl, i am inspired by you already! :flower1:

Oh boy, oh boy! Big changes! Good luck! Waiting to hear more!

I am so impressed that you decided to take this opportunity, leave Boston behind, and follow your dream of working at Disney! I'm looking forward to following along on your journey over the next few months (& hopefully longer!)

Wow! Congratulations! I'm inspired by how brave you are to completely change your life. Good for you for going for it! Can't wait to read more!
-Lindsey

Following along!! This is all so exciting! I wish I was young so I could do something like this!

Hopefully we see you in September!

AND I AM OFF! I said goodbye to my friends, family, students, coworkers and hit the road! It was a stressful week, my boss wasn't to pleased at my last minute notice phone call of "Heyyyyy..... you know how I'm on vacation in Disney right now? Well.... I'm not coming back." Hahaha. My family was a mix what I felt was 10% supportive and 90% "What the heck do you think you're doing leaving your well paying job you're happy at to move to Florida by yourself?!", Which I can totally understand. I am moving across the country with very little money, a beat up car, and dream! But atlas - adventure awaits! The excuse I keep telling myself is "Hey you're 21, why not?!"

I finished packing up with my mom and my boyfriend's help. I looked around and took in the warm Boston summer breeze. It was 2:30am. I said my goodbyes, got in my car, and drove off. It felt surreal. I wasn't sure when I would be back... 3 months? A year? Maybe 2 weeks if something goes wrong?! But I felt a weird comfort in the unknown. I didn't care. I just wanted to get to Orlando and my new home. All I had to get through was 20 hours and 1,300 miles. I promised my family that I would stop in a hotel room and make the trip into a 2 day experience. However, I really had a different agenda. I planned on driving straight through, unless I really felt like I couldn't do it. I didn't want to spend the money on a hotel room.

I blasted music and hit the road! Before I knew it I was in PA where I made my first pit stop. I was so happy. I was tired but I was on an adrenaline rush. I fell in love with the road. Driving along with my windows down and music up is all ever want in life anyways, nevermind when you're end destination is a new life and Disney World!
maVxOOW.jpg

I made it all the way to South Carolina! I stopped for dinner.. chipotle of course! I had about 7 hours left. It was 7pm and I was thinking about how I could make it to Orlando by 2-3am. I really didn't want to stop to sleep, I was so close. I looked at my gps to see where I was at. I realized that I was only an hour away from myrtle beach. Having grown up with my mom and I doing mother daughter trips to WDW, I never got the chance to vacation at other places. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining!!! But I remember hearing how cheap it can be to stay at myrtle beach, and how so many love it there. The idea of sleeping in a bed slowly started to sound better and better. I thought it'd be exciting to see a new place and SC seemed so beautiful already. I booked a cheap hotel online and headed there! The drive to Myrtle beach was stunning. I don't think I would like to live in SC but I adored being a tourist!

I arrived at the hotel. I hold everything to Disney standards, especially hotel rooms, so I was nervous. The reviews on TripAdvisor summed up to something like, "It's great!..... for the price."

I parked my car and went to check in. Nothing fancy, but nothing bad either. Besides an unexpected $35 room insurance fee everything ran smoothly. I got my room key and went to check it out. The outside of the hotel was pretty run down looking so as I slid my room key in the door I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I was surprised! The room was cute. It was an average hotel room- very beachy. I was just happy to lay in a clean bed and take a shower! I decided that I would go right to sleep and wake up early enough to watch the sun rise (VERY RARE FOR ME:rotfl2:) since you could walk right out to the beach from my hotel.
I1GxNrG.jpg

GOOOOOOD MORNING FROM MYRTLE BEACH! I woke up at 5am, and I FELT AWESOME. Today, I would rule the world! Today, I would make it home to my new life! I put on some cozy clothes and strolled out to the beach. My god, what a sight.

bm6Ohsn.jpg

I pretty much had the entire beach sunrise to myself. I decided to role up my pants to stand in the water. I wanted to feel the cool waves crash against me. It felt refreshing. It felt like a new start. "What a perfect way to start the first day of the rest of my life" I thought to myself. I was never a beach person but god did I feel inspired. I was thinking of all the things I wanted to do, and all the ways I wanted to change myself for the better. I was so ready to prove all the people wrong who said I was making the wrong decision. I want to inspire others to follow their dreams, and believe in themselves. I don't know what it was about this morning but my soul was full of imagination, pride, and pixie dust.

EuXQVhQ.jpg

I went back to my hotel room to shower again, change, and pack up. I hit the road by 8am, and I had 7 more hours until I was home sweet home!

Last edited:
What a beautiful picture of the sunrise and waves! You are right, it was a perfect start to a new life! Can't wait to see where you'll be staying. Wishing you luck on your new adventure.
-Lindsey

You are definitely living the dream! I would love to do this! Maybe after DS15 and DS13 finish high school!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter