Wishes in Catsablanca: 7.22.13 Epcot Wedding PJ&TR! Updated 03/09/15

Your back!
It seems your honeymoon starts to get better, although Brian became seasick?
Shame that the excursions were booked, but you really seem to make the best out of it!

Your food (and drink) reviews really want to make me go on a cruise right now! Especially this delicious soufflé! Mmmmhhh…

Thanks for sharing everything with us! I'm already eager to hear how the rest of the honeymoon (and your at-home-reception?) went!!!

Good to see you again! Shame you suffered from seasickness a bit :( At least you were able to reschedule Palo.

Your relaxing day on the ship sounds wonderful - we're considering doing the same for our cruise, at least a half day. I especially enjoyed the 10:00am drinks :thumbsup2

Sounds like you had a relaxing day while you were in San Juan! That deck area with the soaking pool looks really nice. And Palo seems like a good dinner - that lobster parpardelle in particular looks very tasty!

Hi everyone, I am still alive. Haha! I can't believe it's been (over) a year since our wedding date! DH and I had an amazing little outing in London, England to celebrate.

And we also bought a house and adopted two kittens! (We may or may not have named one Walt Disney in honour of our Disney love. The other kitten is named, well, we're still debating between Wishes and Lilly Belle.) Things have been quite hectic with renovations, so my apologies for the long delay, it's been a very hectic summer!

Anyway, without further ado, here's some more of the TR. We're almost to the best part of the honeymoon, I swear! :rotfl:

Day 9 - St. Thomas

Groom POV

St. Thomas! I know this is a popular destination for contestants of Wheel of Fortune, but, for better or worse, we stayed on the ship and spent another day sunning ourselves on deck. And also Scotiabank?

IMG_0382_zps44bdd2de.jpg

It was like being in Canada in the Caribbean--hey, that sounds pretty good, let's make that happen!

Scenery!

IMG_0384_zps48d9be01.jpg

IMG_0388_zps7e2ba94a.jpg

IMG_0391_zpsda0fb322.jpg

IMG_0392_zps5dfc8085.jpg

IMG_0394_zps2c2632c7.jpg

Rain!

IMG_0397_zps50e274f5.jpg

Nicole's reaction to said rain.

IMG_0379_zpse1142ebd.jpg

Nicole: Reeeeeeeaaaaallly?

(I hope you don't think we're too boring, in actual fact we were really resting up on this cruise because we knew the last leg of our honeymoon would be an intense whirlwind--it was!)

We lined up for the Aquaduck a few minutes before it's opening for the day. (We weren't first in line.) Nicole wrote in her notes that "it could have been more thrilling." It could have gone under the ship! There could be two ships sailing side-by-side and you could ping-pong back and forth between them! It could pop you out of the funnel like a whale's spout in any number of Disney shorts! Whadda ya think Disney? Huh, huh?!

In between the deck-side "sunning," soaking and sleeping, Nicole snuck away to grab lunch from Flo's Cafe. Nicole grabbed a bratwurst with sauerkraut, which was pretty good but not as good as it could have been thanks to a distinct lack of available mustard. She made up for the disappointment by loading it up with olives. And a side of banana and strawberry ice cream from Eye Scream.

I apparently had two sandwiches? A turkey and cranberry sandwich, which was soggy, and a brie, bacon and tomato panini, which was crispy.

In the afternoon we went back inside the ship to watch Iron Man 3 in the Buena Vista Theatre. It's kind of silly to feel good about saving $15 on a movie ticket when you're on a $1000-plus Caribbean cruise, but I can't help it. It felt good. And it was a pretty good movie, too.

The theatre itself has a lovely art deco design. The 3-D glasses are comfy, like the ones you get at Star Tours, and not uncomfy like the ones you get at an actual movie theatre you pay to go to. The seats are wide and gently recline back, and chances are there will only be ten other people in the theatre with you. For some reason, you have to pay extra for popcorn. I can understand charging for packaged candy, but my feeling is they could afford to give you popcorn. Especially after paying $1000-plus for the cruise...

After the show we dressed for, what is, in my opinion, not only the best Disney restaurant on land or sea, but perhaps my favourite restaurant in all the world. I dunno, I just love Remy. Even without the Ratatouille connection, I'd love Remy. With a flat charge of $75, it's a steal and frees you from the otherwise prohibitive costs of fine French dining. It also a allows you to relax a little and appreciate the attentive service and ease into the measured pacing of the meal. I think some folks are intimidated by a dinner at Remy, but, having dined at Michelin-starred restaurants around the world, I can tell you it's about as accessible and enjoyable as fine dining gets.

IMG_0404_zps65dde661.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsa1b2a0e4.jpg

Dinner begins with a champagne cocktail, made table-side. We also got a little tip here, toss in some strawberries, and they'll bring forth bubbles in a flat champagne.

IMG_0408_zps334ee85c.jpg

This amuse bouche is a clever take on soup and bread, with the centre of the cube yielding warm tomato soup when bitten. Yum!

IMG_0409_zps2b996b78.jpg

Next up: bread course. Nicole went for the baguette, and I for the herby brioche.

IMG_0414_zpsd41dbd47.jpg

Herby brioche seen here.

d1869295-f994-4833-8c67-96fce4eb376b_zpsb845a932.jpg

Frenchy, French bread

The French sea salt caddy is a must-have for any fancy bread course. Fancy bread course is redundant.

IMG_0410_zps3f9d9afb.jpg

Part of the accessibility of Remy is that they streamline the ordering of food considerably. You have two menus, each designed by a distinguished chef: Scott Hunnel of Victoria and Albert's, and Arnaud Lallement whose L'Assiette Champenoise was awarded a third Michelin star in February. No matter which menu you choose, you're getting a creative menu executed to perfection. If you don't like a particular dish in your menu, you can swap out that dish for another from the bottom page. You could probably get any combination of any dish, but the chefs know what they're doing, so it's better to go for the menus. Nicole doesn't like fish, so she swapped loup de mer (seabass) for a homard lobster dish.

The last time we were at Remy on the Disney Dream, the French menu was deemed to be the lighter choice and the American menu the heavier one. This time, it was the opposite with the French menu leaning towards heavier ingredients like beef and salmon, while the American menu using lobster, chicken and pork. Ironically, it was the French menu that held more surprises by referencing American fast food.

First course menu was the Tomate. For me, this was the dish was the best thing I ate on the entire honeymoon. This pretty thing is a cheese foam on top of a tomato sauce and a thin cracker. In other words, it's a chef-y pizza--the lightest, airiest, tastier pizza I've ever had. Not pictured is a champagne glass filled with the most delicious vegetable consume. A perfect, vegetarian (!) start to the meal. Nicole diary's notes on this dish are literally, "Yum, yum, yum - complex flavours."

IMG_0424_zps37f4aa15.jpg

Nicole had the Maine lobster. Part salad, part seafood course, an absolutely great start to the meal!

IMG_0426_zps163aa77f.jpg

One lobster dish is not enough, so Nicole's second dish had poached lobster in a cauliflower puree and lobster bisque foam. Let's go to the notes, won't we: "Gorgeous" and "LOBSTER!" "Claw was perfect--sweet salty taste.

IMG_0431_zpscf2c5ce6.jpg

IMG_0428_zps190aa49c.jpg

Insert mandatory mid-meal photo.

A strip of cured salmon with a punchy, bold vinaigrette that balanced very well with the salon. Very tasty.

IMG_0430_zps32cd55e3.jpg

Nicole's third course was chicken with a light crab salad. It smelled wonderful, and even if it didn't hit the tasty heights of the dish she'd had at V&A a few days before, it was still very good.

IMG_0433_zps4154b8ad.jpg

My third course was another fish dish, this time seabass in a light soy sauce with yuzu foam. They do like their foams at Remy. I really missed these Asian flavours after 16 days away from home, and this dish got the balance of meaty fish, tart citrus and salty soy spot on.

IMG_0432_zpsd959c6fe.jpg

Another assembly of various pork cuts, in this case the loin and the belly. Like the others, this dish was good, but still not as good as Nicole anticipates it will be. She always wants pork belly Korean BBQ style, which pretty has two ingredients, pork belly and heat, so it's really a case of the restaurants doing too much with it.

IMG_0435_zps1b9e3d34.jpg

My main was a tenderloin of beef sous vide then seared, with a dollop of avocado puree and crumbled tortilla ships, creating a deconstructed taco. Again, the Mexican spices and flavours were bold, and very much missed during the trip. It was funny to run into them in a fancy French restaurant.

IMG_0434_zps3d29fd85.jpg

Cheese course had very tasty cheese. I couldn't tell you what everything was, so let's all just admire it.

IMG_0437_zps52d4556b.jpg

IMG_0438_zps11cf101c.jpg

Desserts! But first new napkins!

IMG_0440_zpsa70b35ba.jpg

The chocolate praline was a fancy chocolate bar with a chocolate cocktail, spiked with what may have been Tabasco sauce, on the side.

Nicole's chocolate and cherry tart was a work of art, and recalled a black forest gateau. The orange ice cream got left on the plate.

A box of cookies and bonbons finished the meal, but who could possibly have room for them? That's okay, because they were glad to pack them up for us.

Back at the room, there was a box of chocolates, a rose and a 'thank you' card waiting for us.

Day 10 - 2nd Sea Day

Adventures by Disney presentation in The Tube, because why not? You're in the middle of the sea. We're definitely thinking about Scotland... someday. Maybe when we're there, I'll dress like this:

(And not going to lie, the last time we attended a presentation on a Disney cruise we won a $300 onboard credit. That ain't hay! Sadly, we left prizeless. Oh, when will we ever get Adventures By Disney merch?! The Tube also has some pretty crazy decor, and it's a lot easier to see it when the room isn't full of people watching "adult" juggling.

IMG_0447_zpsf12f1fea.jpg

IMG_0451_zpse3a489c2.jpg

Next up we headed back over to Palo for brunch.

IMG_0454_zps95af8cd2.jpg

In our opinion, brunch is the superior Palo experience. Brunch includes a buffet that showcases the restaurant's strengths--antipasto, salads, cold seafood, and desserts. In addition to the buffet, you're offered your choice of entrees including made-to-order pizzas, calzones, pasta and traditional breakfast. We opted out of mains, but shared a pizza, half grape and blue cheese, half Italian sausage. Not bad, but not markedly good. Here's a selection on our plates:
IMG_0457_zps74c2e9a7.jpg

IMG_0458_zps807f29b4.jpg

IMG_0460_zps28944961.jpg

Caviar and cinnamon buns, amirite?!

Desserts were tasting sized, and just fine in a buffet type of way. And we tried them all, y'know, just for you readers!

IMG_0462_zps340e1708.jpg

IMG_0463_zps5dae32b5.jpg

IMG_0464_zps0e657943.jpg

IMG_0465_zps345e5479.jpg

IMG_0466_zps62d7d3fb.jpg

IMG_0467_zpsdb5a98af.jpg

IMG_0468_zps148a3bc9.jpg

IMG_0469_zpsab5adb2c.jpg

We bummed around the ship whilst we waited for a presentation by an ABC executive in charge of reality TV, so you can thank him/blame him for The Bachelor. Now <i>that's</i> corporate synergy! He showed us a sizzle reel for the 2013-2014 ABC Television season, the construction of which, if Futurama is to be believed, involved a series of dice rolls. How else do you account for the inclusion of a show called "Lucky 7?" The executive answered questions about the television industry with a surprising amount of candor, though he didn't explain why they cancelled <i>Bunheads</i> when Sutton Foster is such an absolute delight. Seriously, she's a national treasure.

We bummed around some more while debating the viability of going on an Adventures By Disney tour to Scotland (it's not.) We did get a thrill by staring at this photo from Walt's trip to South America during World War 2:

IMG_0473_zps92e002e1.jpg

Cut to dinner. Having seen three iterations of the Animator's Palette experience, I can say with confidence that this is the best of them all. I suppose this depends on one's tolerance for Crush, but this was a pretty fulfilling Disney experience, what with the screens playing scenes of cooking and eating from Disney films throughout the years. For a Disney fan, it's hard not to get excited when your favourite movie comes on the screen. (DH was very pleased that <i>Ratatouille</i> got an extended showing. Heck, they could have just shown the entire movie.) Predictably, this was the only meal that had all eight honeymooners at the table.

As we sat down, we were all given a place mat and markers to draw a character. DH went for a self-portrait, and, naturally, I went for a kitty cat. The mats were whisked away by our server and replaced by menus.

IMG_0480_zpsced8da20.jpg

IMG_0481_zpsb473f4f9.jpg

Note to self, practice drawing for next time

The food choices were a little safer than before (not necessarily a bad thing, given the badly executed Asian fusion of the previous meal at Animator's Palette.

Popcorn themed food!

IMG_0497_zpsaa2fb120.jpg

Venison with potato croquettes. Don't worry, Animator's Palette: nobody will mind if you call them tater tots.

IMG_0513_zps6b438ac4.jpg

Food schmood! The real star of the show is parade of characters brought to life through the magic of animation. Sure, it's puppetry more than anything else, but it was still a thrill to see the characters moving and interacting in some famous Disney films. And guess whose came out first:

IMG_0529_zpsb0f760e1.jpg

They even have a well-deserved credits sequence. Overall, this was the big highlight of the cruise, because it brought together the cruise experience and Disney into a seamless whole.

Good to see you again!! (I'm still here! I want to see how it ends :D)

In my opinion you're paying as much (if not more) for the ship as you are to visit the ports so I see absolutely no problem in staying on the ship and enjoying a little peace and quiet!

Remy looks fantastic. I'm a little wary of missing a main dining room menu on our first ever cruise but I will definitely be trying to book it on our next trip we can.

Oh Palo brunch - how I love you! Or hope to love you! It looks simply mouthwatering (we're still trying to book ourselves).

So many chances to win stuff on the ship! That's where they get you I imagine :)

The AP show looks so cute and so clever!! I can't wait to see it :goodvibes

Mmmmm, food! :) Love when you get the chance to update - and I'm also interested to see how it ends! Both the Remy dinner and Palo brunch experiences looks great. And I see nothing wrong with spending more time on the ship - considering the amount you're paying, you might as well explore and take advantage of everything offered that you're interested in, even if it means skipping out on a port.::yes::

Glad to see you updating again!

Dinner at Remy looks divine. The Palo brunch sounds delicious too, especially all of those desserts!

I can't wait to try a Disney cruise someday. I'm really looking forward to Animator's Palette, because it's just so Disney!

Yay for the new update! You didn't promise to much with Remy - it looks divine and really makes me want to try it.
Your kitten pic is so cute! I just started collecting Disney kittens at DLP, so I really understand your feline side ;-)

Been showing the DF your cruise pictures all morning to convince him of the merits of going on a Disney cruise. Your pictures are helping my mission. :)

And ADORABLE on your kitties! We plan on having a beagle someday and naming him Walt. So, I approve. :) I think Wishes is a great kitty name.

Tiffiny

Thank you to everyone who is still with me! I promise, one way or another, I'm going to end this thing one day and finish my honeymoon report and at-home reception report. And anything else I'm missing! :rotfl2:

Good to see you again!! (I'm still here! I want to see how it ends :D)

In my opinion you're paying as much (if not more) for the ship as you are to visit the ports so I see absolutely no problem in staying on the ship and enjoying a little peace and quiet!

Remy looks fantastic. I'm a little wary of missing a main dining room menu on our first ever cruise but I will definitely be trying to book it on our next trip we can.

Oh Palo brunch - how I love you! Or hope to love you! It looks simply mouthwatering (we're still trying to book ourselves).

So many chances to win stuff on the ship! That's where they get you I imagine :)

The AP show looks so cute and so clever!! I can't wait to see it :goodvibes
I can see your point about missing the main dining meals, especially if it is a shorter cruise and you only get to eat at each restaurant once. I felt the same way on our first Disney cruise! But yes, I definitely recommend Remy and the Palo brunch and even Palo, they're all amazing dining experiences!

Mmmmm, food! :) Love when you get the chance to update - and I'm also interested to see how it ends! Both the Remy dinner and Palo brunch experiences looks great. And I see nothing wrong with spending more time on the ship - considering the amount you're paying, you might as well explore and take advantage of everything offered that you're interested in, even if it means skipping out on a port.::yes::
Totally agree! The ship is an amazing experience, and the port experiences really do add up in cost if you go on a Disney experience, so it was good for us to save a little money, haha, more for souvenirs! :rotfl:

Glad to see you updating again!

Dinner at Remy looks divine. The Palo brunch sounds delicious too, especially all of those desserts!

I can't wait to try a Disney cruise someday. I'm really looking forward to Animator's Palette, because it's just so Disney!
So true, where else would you find an experience like Animator's Palette. It's definitely an amazing Disney experience!

Yay for the new update! You didn't promise to much with Remy - it looks divine and really makes me want to try it.
Your kitten pic is so cute! I just started collecting Disney kittens at DLP, so I really understand your feline side ;-)
Yay, another kitten fan! We are kitty obsessed, glad to have another kitty lover. And I'm very jealous of the kitty stuff they have at DLP, so much more than the other parks, except maybe Tokyo Disney! :rotfl:

Excellent update. I love hearing about your cruise.
Thank you! :goodvibes

So the reason this one took so long was because we misplaced our trip notes during our move, and neither DH or I could remember what happened on this next day. But I found them today! Yay! So full steam ahead on the rest of the report!

Day 11 - 3rd Sea Day

At some point in the night, the ship's course was diverted to Nassau for a medical emergency. Ultimately this didn't really affect our cruise in anyway, except that we were unexpectedly docked instead of sailing. I wasn't that disappointed about that, not gonna lie, at this point we were getting a little homesick--or at the very least extremely desirous of solid land--and our feelings of longing manifested into this:

Buffet poutine!

Here's the plan: get to Cabanas exactly at the 11:00am opening time, create the craziest buffet hack, a poutine-crossed- with guacamole nacho fries monstrosity we could remember fondly for decades to come. It would be totally gross and yummy in a way that only a truly ingenious thing can hope to be.

We got to Cabanas and… there was no mozzarella or bocconcini. No gravy. No guacamole. I promise you we saw ALL these things the previous day.

Well, DH tried to make do with what was available.

IMG_0595_zps8251fbc9.jpg

DH: If you too would like to replicate this buffet hack, take a bowl, place French fries into said bowl, put some kind of cheese on top of the fries and then put some kind gravy (or at the very least some kind of hot, thick, brown liquid--any decent buffet will have at least five discreet items that fit that description) onto the fries-and-cheese mixture.

Okay, but what you are actually looking at in that photo is fries with bleu and cheddar cheeses, and a sweet hoisin duck sauce. It actually was gross, but not yummy. Buffet hack fail.

Speaking of tasty combinations, next on our schedule was a chocolate and wine tasting. It's not a pairing that one automatically thinks about, so it was interesting to see the different, surprising combinations. We learned a lot. Like John Lasseter has his own vineyard and wine, and it is the only red wine I've ever tried and actually wanted more! And you can't get any in Canada. Fail.

IMG_0596_zpsfdbf0213.jpg

IMG_0597_zpse65882ce.jpg

IMG_0598_zps84b9019f.jpg

IMG_0600_zpsbd31b162.jpg

IMG_0601_zpsc92a6355.jpg

IMG_0602_zps532cfa09.jpg

IMG_0603_zps0504b92b.jpg

IMG_0607_zps297d6ccd.jpg

Also, "Cockburns!" I love English people.

After our history and drinking session, we dabbled in a few onboard activities for the rest of the afternoon. Such as, "Anyone Can Cook" cooking lesson, and movie quotes trivia (we came in third, yay!)

IMG_0614_zps6a8efcda.jpg

IMG_0617_zpsadf649b4.jpg

We prepared for dinner and then went to catch "Believe" one of DCL's pièce de résistance shows so filled with the magic of Disney it will and has brought many a Disney fan to tears. Personally I prefer "Dreams," which actually did bring me to tears. :blush:

Next up dinner at Enchanted Garden (which was actually our first dinner at Enchanted Garden of the cruise) for the "Sea Ya Real Soon" dinner.

IMG_0632_zpsd42c3e7f.jpg

"Sea" ya! I love sailing people.

After dinner we went to Ooh La La for one last celebratory drink--honeymooning, amirite! We went whole hog and ordered the Tattinger Nocture Ooh La La, the Disney Fantasy's exclusive Champagne. Earlier that day the sommelier had told us that the Nocture was meant to be had at night as an after dinner drink, so it felt appropriate. It's also a fairly acidic drink, so it's served with a verrine, which is one of my favourite things about the champagne lounges of DCL.

IMG_0657_zps82566e84.jpg

IMG_0663_zps8ace1f62.jpg

IMG_0664_zpse24b5510.jpg

Unfortunately there was a very rowdy crowd also in the bar, ordering a lot and each claiming loudly they could hold it better. It didn't quite fit the ambiance of the space, so we finished our drinks and headed out.

We went to the Tube for the "adult" magic show. And let me just say, the tricks they did were pretty amazing. Like pulling a guy's $100 bill out of an unpeeled orange--same serial number!

IMG_0667_zpsd1e65b70.jpg

After that was the cruise staff's farewell performance, which we were expecting to be "Disney dirty" but no, it was actually quite dirty, So don't let anyone tell you the Disney cruise experience is just for kids!

Day 12 - Dock and Fly

Alas, the cruise had to come to a close some time. And you know what, not even at our final meal aboard the ship were all four honeymoon couples present at our table!

IMG_0672_zpsfc36e631.jpg

Bye, bye Mickey. For now! See ya real soon… tomorrow.

For some reason, the film the driver chose to put on for the ride to the airport was the noted Disney classic The Little Rascals. I mean, I get that one might assume that every single family film with little, rascally kids might be a Disney movie, much like people think Anastasia is a Disney movie because it involves a princess and has a talking bat. Even so The Little Rascals wouldn't be the first movie I'd reach for on the DVD shelf.

IMG_0676_zps6148602b.jpg

And in case you didn't believe me…

It was a bit of a wait to get from ORL to LAX, a lot of….

IMG_0677_zpsd669cadd.jpg

So why don't we…

7a97cfb1-8a04-41e5-a781-d9d7a4ac237b_zps70ea7cac.jpg

DISSOLVE TO: L.A. Movie stars! Swimming pools! Airport hotels! Parking lots! Darkness!

We opted for an airport hotel to bide our time until the start of the ABD tour the next day. Not exactly the best vantage point to see the glitz of Hollywood, but certainly cheap.

By the time we arrived at the hotel, there wasn't much open, except for an In-and-Out Burger nearby. As much as we'd heard about its artery-clogging virtues, we just didn't have much gumption to go anywhere. Luckily the small café in the lobby had exactly what we needed:

IMG_0696_zpsfc46b7ab.jpg

Fresh fruit and Ramen, dinner of champions. Or like, a slightly healthier poor college student… Actually make that rich college student, those ramen bowls were $7. Each.

That was pretty much it for the day--a long, but ultimately uneventful day.

But tomorrow! Just wait for it!

Yay, finally made it through the last (delicious) update! Be sure I'm still here and patiently waiting for every update that's about to come!

Welcome back! Glad you found your trip notes and glad you enjoyed the end of the cruise (rowdy folks aside). I am SO excited to hear about your ABD portion - on pins and needles here!

I'm glad you found your trip notes! I'm going through the same thing right now where I misplaced my travel journal so I know it's frustrating. Looks like a great end to the cruise - I can't wait to hear about the next part!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter