WISH Away the Pounds Outstanding October Challenge -- Everyone welcome!

Funny you should post this question Magdalene.......I'm going to get up at the same time I normally would, although technically it will be an hour earlier...and go for a 'leisurely' run. No worry about speed or timing, just a chance to go out and please myself.

Normally, I would run on a Monday evening, but there is talk of 'hurricanes' and 100 mile an hour winds starting late Sunday here and lasting a couple of days, so I'm going to make the most of the extra hour tomorrow morning in case things are too bad on Monday evening.

I did good at the parkrun again today, no PB this week (came in at 34:03), but I did my longest ever run without a walk break...managed 2.2km and even then I only resorted to a walk as I was sooo hot and had to take my long sleeved overtop off!!!. Couldn't manage that whilst still running or I might have veered off into the lake!!

Oh, and regarding the peanut butter....at least you use a spoon.......I'm a 'just stick my finger in the jar' kinda girl!!!! and we all know where that got me in the past!!!!!

I'm off to do some cooking now. Doing pork chops for tea with mash, parsnips, cabbage, sprouts and carrots. Making cauliflower dhansak for the freezer and preparing my gammon joint to go in the slow cooker tomorrow with diet coke and chinese 5 spice. Might do a batch of veg chilli too if there's actually enough room left to put it in the freezer.

So the question is: If you had a true bonus hour suddenly appearing this weekend which you could use for whatever you wanted, what would you do in that hour? Like me, catch up on sleep? Do something useful? Do something for yourself?

Go for a hike. My DH and I keep talking about exploring a trail but we haven't made it there yet!

Okay friends! Hello and I'm TOTALLY aggravated. Been sitting here on DD's laptop typing replies for 45 minutes and the entire thing just went POOF!! Now we are off to lunch and I do NOT have time right now to re-type it all. Oh well.

Love you all, hugs to those who need it, WOOHOOs to those who had a great week on the scale and CHIN-UP to those who had a bad week.

I will try to find time later today to catch up without a POOF!!

TTYL.................................P

An extra hour. Hmmm the dog still needs to be clipped. His haircuts take 45 min. But that is kinda boring. My floors need to be mopped. Even more boring. We need a new mattress so my back is killing me; a massage would be lovely. Best would be a walk with dh either on a trail or just around some neighborhoods. He really likes to see the various architecture.

Okay. I had more than a smidge of Mac n cheese my last day of work! It was so yummy and I was starving for some reason. Plus she made tres leches cake. Delicious! Back on track now, even if the scale doesn't know it!

:scared: I did not fall off the face of the earth!

actually my week started with a three day trip to Amish Country (Holmes County Ohio) and little did I know that I would be so immersed into simple living, as I had NO CELL SERVICE at all there. my friend did, but Sprint...nada. so, no dis checking for me

I returned home and had a day of running all ding-dong day with appointments for myself and my daughter, then a day trying to recover from such a week!! :crazy2:

so I ate horribly, didn't exercise officially and skipped my WI b/c i'm retaining so much water from being out of my routine. D- for me this week.... but not a failure b/c i'm returning :rolleyes1

In just two short hours I will be leaving for first 5K!
I am feeling okay right now, will try to eat after this to get my blood sugar up before the race! It was a low all day so far, so I have a slight headache, but I will try my best!! And that's what counts!
I will let you all know how it goes!

I am feeling okay right now, will try to eat after this to get my blood sugar up before the race! It was a low all day so far, so I have a slight headache, but I will try my best!! And that's what counts!

Yay!

I just did my first 10K today.

Hope the headache didn't hold ya back

UGH.....as you all know, my scale finally moved this week, but my SIL called this afternoon with upsetting news so what do I do? Yup....if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. Sigh....why is it our hands/mouth move faster than our brains? As Scarlet says "Tomorrow is another day".

Hope all went well -:goodvibes

I am impressed - keep up the good work!!:goodvibes

Yay!

You too!!:cool1:

UGH.....as you all know, my scale finally moved this week, but my SIL called this afternoon with upsetting news so what do I do? Yup....if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. Sigh....why is it our hands/mouth move faster than our brains? As Scarlet says "Tomorrow is another day".

Hope this helps:

What I do whenever I feel angry or stressed - be it at home or at work -

1) I think before I speak or react. For me, this usually takes up to 24 hours. Once I know I am ready to speak, then I do. I do not under any circumstances stress eat or drink in any way shape or form.
Once the stress passes, then I feel soooooo much better about myself as a person because I handled the situation so much better and as a bonus, I don't gain weight.:goodvibes

1a) Now yes, there have been a few times I have felt stress so much that I have reached the breaking point and when that happens, I drink water and lots of it (hand to mouth), go out for a walk or if at work, I delve into my work while listening to the radio.

Again, hope this helps.

T.T.F.N.:wave2:
&
Cheers

1) I think before I speak or react. For me, this usually takes up to 24 hours. Once I know I am ready to speak, then I do. I do not under any circumstances stress eat or drink in any way shape or form.
Once the stress passes, then I feel soooooo much better about myself as a person because I handled the situation so much better and as a bonus, I don't gain weight.

1a) Now yes, there have been a few times I have felt stress so much that I have reached the breaking point and when that happens, I drink water and lots of it (hand to mouth), go out for a walk or if at work, I delve into my work while listening to the radio.

Again, hope this helps.
I so wish I could do that! Maybe I will sometime, but sheesh....we were commiserating over her bad news and since we were both helpless, munch munch munch.

Funny you should post this question Magdalene.......I'm going to get up at the same time I normally would, although technically it will be an hour earlier...and go for a 'leisurely' run. No worry about speed or timing, just a chance to go out and please myself.

Normally, I would run on a Monday evening, but there is talk of 'hurricanes' and 100 mile an hour winds starting late Sunday here and lasting a couple of days, so I'm going to make the most of the extra hour tomorrow morning in case things are too bad on Monday evening.

I did good at the parkrun again today, no PB this week (came in at 34:03), but I did my longest ever run without a walk break...managed 2.2km and even then I only resorted to a walk as I was sooo hot and had to take my long sleeved overtop off!!!. Couldn't manage that whilst still running or I might have veered off into the lake!!

Oh, and regarding the peanut butter....at least you use a spoon.......I'm a 'just stick my finger in the jar' kinda girl!!!! and we all know where that got me in the past!!!!!

I'm off to do some cooking now. Doing pork chops for tea with mash, parsnips, cabbage, sprouts and carrots. Making cauliflower dhansak for the freezer and preparing my gammon joint to go in the slow cooker tomorrow with diet coke and chinese 5 spice. Might do a batch of veg chilli too if there's actually enough room left to put it in the freezer.

Using the additional hour for exercise is a very good idea!! I hope that you don't get hurricane force winds - that sounds scary. But those autumn and winter storms can be very bad. Be safe!

Sounds like you have a lot of delicious food lined up there!

Go for a hike. My DH and I keep talking about exploring a trail but we haven't made it there yet!

That's a great idea! I love hiking and find that it is a great way to exercise! :thumbsup2

Okay friends! Hello and I'm TOTALLY aggravated. Been sitting here on DD's laptop typing replies for 45 minutes and the entire thing just went POOF!! Now we are off to lunch and I do NOT have time right now to re-type it all. Oh well.

Love you all, hugs to those who need it, WOOHOOs to those who had a great week on the scale and CHIN-UP to those who had a bad week.

I will try to find time later today to catch up without a POOF!!

TTYL.................................P

Ah, so sorry that you had such computer troubles. That is always so annoying! I hope otherwise you are having a great time with DD!

An extra hour. Hmmm the dog still needs to be clipped. His haircuts take 45 min. But that is kinda boring. My floors need to be mopped. Even more boring. We need a new mattress so my back is killing me; a massage would be lovely. Best would be a walk with dh either on a trail or just around some neighborhoods. He really likes to see the various architecture.

Okay. I had more than a smidge of Mac n cheese my last day of work! It was so yummy and I was starving for some reason. Plus she made tres leches cake. Delicious! Back on track now, even if the scale doesn't know it!

Oh, a massage would be such a nice way to enjoy an extra hour! But looking at architecture could be something for me as well.

I think someone here once posted a quote or something like that which was something along the lines that we are not aiming for perfection, it is the effort that counts. One day of eating treats is not what made us put on these additional pounds. So if you slip one day, that's fine as long as you get back on track as soon as possible! I think this is the most important survival skill we can get through this weight loss journey as there will always be days when we deviate from the plan. Once we have learned to compensate for these days, we will be able to maintain our weight much better!

actually my week started with a three day trip to Amish Country (Holmes County Ohio) and little did I know that I would be so immersed into simple living, as I had NO CELL SERVICE at all there. my friend did, but Sprint...nada. so, no dis checking for me

I returned home and had a day of running all ding-dong day with appointments for myself and my daughter, then a day trying to recover from such a week!! :crazy2:

so I ate horribly, didn't exercise officially and skipped my WI b/c i'm retaining so much water from being out of my routine. D- for me this week.... but not a failure b/c i'm returning :rolleyes1

I kind of like getting "off the grid" now and then. When I was in Switzerland roaming was so expensive (since it does not belong to the EU, the roaming charges are not regulated as they are in the EU) and there was no wifi where I stayed that I was away from Email for three days. Felt very strange, but also was great to not have the internet as a distraction. I also loved it on the cruise to be away from it all!

But sorry that this all lead to you getting out of your routine!! And I wholeheartedly agree: you are not a failure!! The important part is not to stick to a routine 100% (I don't believe that this is possible, but to get back into it when you got out of!

Have a great run!!! :thumbsup2

Yay!

Congratulations!! :thumbsup2

So sorry about the upsetting news!! Emotional eating is difficult to get under control. I do have trouble with it as well. I think knewton's advise of drinking water is actually something that might help you. If you realise that you start eating, get yourself a drink. It will not as such help with craving comfort food, but it will fill up your tummy and therefore you have less room to stuff other things into it.

Morning all! Up and showered and ready to get dressed and head to the "President's Jazz Brunch" at DD's school.

Yesterday's eating ended up :sad2: It seemed at every turn there were junky treats or tough choices. I didn't go insane but I definitely went over my daily Points and ate waaaaaay more sugar than usual. Fresh start today though!

Off to dry my hair and get moving...........P

Morning all! Up and showered and ready to get dressed and head to the "President's Jazz Brunch" at DD's school.

Yesterday's eating ended up :sad2: It seemed at every turn there were junky treats or tough choices. I didn't go insane but I definitely went over my daily Points and ate waaaaaay more sugar than usual. Fresh start today though!

Off to dry my hair and get moving...........P

Oh - hope you are doing better at the brunch today! But it sounds like a fun event!! Universities here in Germany don't have things like that at all...

---

QOTD:

Since I got my extra hour I can tell you what I did with it! I managed to get up really early, so got already a lot done in the morning. And the bonus was spent with my best friend, sitting in a cafe in the old city in the sunshine with a cappuccino and a chat. It is unseasonably warm still and it was so good to get some rays before the grey November is going to start. The weather is supposed to turn ugly tomorrow...

I also have great news from the scale. I am finally seeing some movement again and now I am hopeful that while I will miss my goal for the month I will at least end it with less pounds than I started out. It is such a shame that there is nothing more motivating for weight loss than if you see a loss on scale - at least for me. So, if things go well, it is easy to stick to the plan. If they don't it is difficult, even though you would need more then. I guess that's why so many people have the best intentions to lose weight but fail in the end. You need to get your motivation out of something else besides the scale!!

Question of the Day (for the weekend):

Here in Europe we already fall back this weekend to winter time. This means that we will get an additional hour. Unfortunately since it is in the night, I usually just sleep through it. But I was wondering what would be a better way to make use of that additional hour. So the question is: If you had a true bonus hour suddenly appearing this weekend which you could use for whatever you wanted, what would you do in that hour? Like me, catch up on sleep? Do something useful? Do something for yourself?

We don't get our extra hour until next week-end but today I am using an extra hour to clean out my car and make sure I am winter ready because our weather is going to be turning rainy and cooler. :umbrella:

Thanks for coaching this week! :flower3:

Sound like fun! :thumbsup2 It is nice to just get out and move without worrying about time. ::yes::

Bummer on the poof, Pamela! :badpc: Enjoy the rest of your week-end. Soon you will be heading to sunny FL! :cool2:

LOL, Linda, I can always think of at least a dozen other things to do besides mopping myself. :rotfl: Way to get back on track! :thumbsup2

Glad that you had a great time and glad to you back here in the wagon! :flower3:

Cool! :cool2: How did it go? Hope you are feeling okay. :flower3:

Yay!

:woohoo: a 10K! :yay: How did it go?

Sorry for the bad news. :hug:

Once the stress passes, then I feel soooooo much better about myself as a person because I handled the situation so much better and as a bonus, I don't gain weight.:goodvibes

Again, hope this helps.

T.T.F.N.:wave2:
&
Cheers

Excellent strategy! :thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing!

Running at 113% for the ActiveLink so far so I should finish this month in good shape. ::yes::

Enjoy your Sunday all!

I also have great news from the scale. I am finally seeing some movement again and now I am hopeful that while I will miss my goal for the month I will at least end it with less pounds than I started out. It is such a shame that there is nothing more motivating for weight loss than if you see a loss on scale - at least for me. So, if things go well, it is easy to stick to the plan. If they don't it is difficult, even though you would need more then. I guess that's why so many people have the best intentions to lose weight but fail in the end. You need to get your motivation out of something else besides the scale!!

Very, very good point to help us break free of the tyranny of the scale! :goodvibes

Well I have to report that my extra hour was used for......sleep!!! I woke up later than normal, so technically missed out!! I did get a little exercise though as we went to cheer on a friend who was doing a 10K and as we were early, we managed a 30 minute walk before she got to the finish line!!! Not quite what I had planned but hey-ho.

Having salad, baby potatoes, cous cous and quiche for dinner tonight.....just seeing how long I can hold off as it's only 5:50pm at the moment, but I'm starving!!!! If I eat too early, I'll be looking for something else before bed time!

Really hoping that the scales will be kind to me tomorrow evening at my slimming club weigh-in.......if I manage to get even half a pound off this week, I will be into a new stone on the scales (remember in the UK we weight in stones - 14lb each)...I started at 17st+, but if I can lose that tiny bit, I will be into the 11st bracket!!! Psychologically that's a big difference. I will be going to the gym to do a quick (hopefully!) 5K on the treadmill before class.

I'll try this again!! My first attempt went poof!

I arrived at the 5K about an hour before it stared. Registration went well and was short so I still had about 50 minutes until the race started. I had already stretched so I did a few warm up laps to warm up. The race started for 7, so we lined up about 10 minutes before. Since it was my first race, I wasn't really sure where to out myself, I knew I was running. But how fast? I stuck myself in the front, not the first line, but the front all the same. It was chilly, but not freezing so I felt okay. The race started and all of a sudden they had these huge speed bumps in the road! No one has warned us, thankfully no one tripped! I started out well, but I noticed so many people passing me up, had I got too far in the front? Or did people not pace themselves? It was the latter. About 5 minutes in, Runkeeper told me my pace, but I couldn't hear it! So I was feeling well, I decided to keep that pace. Soon I passed the 1 mile mark and suddenly felt so excited, this was it! All the hard work was finally paying off, I literally couldn't stop smiling! Soon mile 2 came and I was still feeling okay, thankfully they were giving out water so I walked for a minute to drink. This really recharged my system and I was feeling ready to see that finish line! Runkeeper came back on, and told me I had been running for 20 minutes and I was keeping a 10 minute mile!!!! This was my fastest time ever, and I was already into mile three!! I then decided I was going to put my all into this last mile, and I was going to finish in 30 minutes! I hadn't set a goal time, I just wanted to finish, so to have this well of a time was amazing to me! I could have cried!! So I ran! And soon, I could see the finish line, I was feeling my ankles at this time but I was so close! So I ignored those and picked up my pace! Then suddenly I saw a nice woman who handed me my medal and I was done! My happiness left quickly when I realized my family had figured it would take me longer to finish and had left to go get food. So I didn't have anyone to congratulate me or take my picture, or anything. Here's where I cried, I had totally forgot about my finish time, but I finished in 28 minutes. About 5 minutes after my Dad showed up, he was upset he had missed me and took me to get a water. I know they didn't mean to miss it, but it hurt all the same.
Hopefully next race someone will be there for me. I am excited to have finished and I am so proud of my time, and mostly myself! :)

Thank you all for listening to me rant about my race! I think I will start a running diary this week! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Well done, that is an awesome time.

I'm sure that someone will be there for you at the finish next time, but we're all here for you anytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter