Wine and Dine 2015

This may have been addressed but can't find it...I know you can leave a bag at the beginning of the race with extra clothes, etc. I'm assuming they somehow transport that stuff to the end of the race for you? My DH and I definitely want dry socks, shirts and change of shoes for after party. Should we get a locker at Epcot or is it easy to use the race bag drop off? Thanks

It's a very easy and convenient bag drop. They will give you the bag at the expo (part of your package) ... stuff your stuff into it ... go to the race ... don't tie it up until you go through security (they have the right to go through it when entering the staging area) .... tie it up and follow the masses to the drop. Disney transports it to he end and then you simply pick it up like any other race ... albeit a little more congested.

Am I the only one having trouble making FastPass+ selections for Saturday the 7th? I have no Fast Passes, but when I try to make some it says dd25 and I will be "removed from the party" if I continue. And it won't let me continue. :(

ETA: Nevermind. I figured it out. That day runs into when we are staying offsite so I have to wait for 30 days out. :(

Last edited:
OMG sorry for the HUGE picture of my Garmin! I did it from my iPhone and it was small there lol! This is the first time I have seen it on my computer! Whoops!

I've also been struggling some of late on runs. They are going okay, but I'm just mentally not into it. I always seem to get this way when I'm a couple months out from a race. I'm just over it all. But, like all of you, I soldier on. Just wish I was enjoying it more. After a brief cool down, we are back to warm and humid as heck. This morning at 5 AM it was 75 degress already and crazy humid. It was a miserable run that we shortened. I know cooler weather is coming and it will perk me up, but right now, I'm really sick of running. I know this will pass, but it's a drag right now.

We switched from our on-site plans to off-site, so I'm jealous of those making FP+ plans now. Hope everyone can get what they want!!

Just had the worse training run ever.....

Am trying a new supplement- a thermogenic (cellucor super HD extreme for anyone curious) and while I do okay with those in general; I think the increase in heart rate just did me in. This is the first time EVER that I have aborted a run. I literally was running along and struggling to run more than 45 seconds without needing to stop to catch my breath. Literally. I felt like I was never recovered. The easiest way to describe it is if any of you have ever done a heart rate test or cardio fitness kind of test where you're operating literally at your max heart rate. When that happens, no matter how much harder you push- your heart will not beat any faster. I'm not out of shape, I'm actually in great cardiac shape (thank the lord) but I think considering my heart rate not on thermogenics is typically around 175-180 when running, the addition of the supplement was just too much.

I'm so embarrassed because I made my intervals but at 3.2 miles I had to turn back. Which meant I got my distance to 6.5, but it took me about 1:30 give or take. I've never aborted a run. I've never had a long run day where my distance went negative- my long runs are up at 8-10 miles right now. I can cover those 8-10 miles in the same time it took me to do today's distance. I'm beating myself up pretty hardcore. Every step I took, my muscles felt like ropes on my skeleton. At one point, I felt like pulling to the side of the rail trail and puking. I never felt like my heart was racing persay, I just felt like with every step I'd already run a marathon (no pun intended) and was trying to sprint to the finish line. Mentally, this was a terrible outing.

*sigh*

I guess at least I know if I need to, I can still walk the race and keep less than a 16 min/mi- but that's the only positive of today's run.

Feeling pretty beat up right now :(

Have you googled the side effects of Rauwolfia? I wouldn't be taking this supplement while training for or doing a half marathon.

My sister and I are running the half marathon, and our parents are running the 5k. Besides the start and finish of the 5k, are there any other areas where spectators can cheer on the runners, like maybe inside Animal Kingdom? We'll have park passes if that helps, but I haven't seen anything on the website about spectator viewing for the 5k, it is possible that I overlooked a section.

My sister and I are running the half marathon, and our parents are running the 5k. Besides the start and finish of the 5k, are there any other areas where spectators can cheer on the runners, like maybe inside Animal Kingdom? We'll have park passes if that helps, but I haven't seen anything on the website about spectator viewing for the 5k, it is possible that I overlooked a section.

Your annual pass won't be of an help, as Animal Kingdom will not yet be open. I do not recall ever seeing spectators inside the park for a 5K fun run.

Oops... so, I actually bought one of the designs they released online after the race because I'm a Disney sucker. :o And I had just checked the price of that one in my email before I replied because I thought they were all the same price, and it was $36.95. It was one of the cotton ones. I just went and looked at the ones I actually bought at the expo and the cotton "I Did It!" one was $32.95 and the tech one was $39.95.

I went a little overboard on shirts... it was my first rD race. :o

Wow, looks like I am going to have to take out a second mortgage just to buy souviners! lol

I am definitely not as fast as you, but I also had a rough run on Sat. I currently do about 12 min miles for long runs. My last race was PHM in February. Since then, I took some time off and started my current training in July. Almost a month ago I was up to 5.5 miles. Then I got the flu. Felt horrible for a week and a half, then started to recover, and still kind of have a little tickle cough (at really random times, and not consistently). With the holiday I was short on time, and I had not run in 3 weeks. So I did a 3 mile run on Thursday and 7 on Saturday. The heat I am sure didnt help, but it took me 1:45 to do it. I had to walk a lot. Worst time in at least a year. I decided to finish all 7 even walking so my body could at least get the distance in. Not a great feeling. I know I will be fine having the distance down to finish, but really hoping I can build my pace back up in time for W&D. I was doing an 11 min pace back at PHM and my goal was to improve on it this time around. Looking unlikely! Cursed germs :sick:

I guess it was the weekend for tough runs. :) Mine was ok but not great. It was the longest I'd run since Tinker Bell (9.5 miles), and I was hoping to finish in under 2 hours but I only managed 2:03. Plus like 14 total minutes of stoppage (eating gels, buying water and refilling my bottle, and waiting at lights). Plus I ended the route with a very steep and long hill at about mile 8 (about 0.2 mile long and about 100 ft of elevation gain), so that was unpleasant, too. I had to walk up most of it. I guess if I hadn't planned that hill at the end I might have broken 2 hours, but I have very few choices for return paths for longer distance loops. I need to go further out in the other direction if I want to come back on the flatter road. I don't like out and backs, and the logistics of point to point are kind of annoying, since I run early in the morning before my husband is awake.

Looks like it was indeed the weekend for difficult runs....

I don't even run by my house because we live in a more country setting and I just fear being hit. Lots of other people run and bike and what not; but there is just not a lot of room if two cars are on the road (opposite directions) and they're trying to give you berth too. I run out on a local rail trail, but then I worry that I'm not getting my body used to road running (rail trail won't have camber the way a road would) so I'm praying that it won't make that much of a difference. I'm trying to get the distance in....this weekend really screwed me. And with leaving soon for Tokyo/Hong Kong I just know I won't get distance in while I'm gone.....

I run out on a local rail trail, but then I worry that I'm not getting my body used to road running (rail trail won't have camber the way a road would) so I'm praying that it won't make that much of a difference.

It won't make much difference at all. If you stick to the middle of the road or path during most Disney races, you won't have to deal with any significant camber. Sure, there are places like on-ramps and off-ramps that are severely cambered, but even on those you can run on the very edge and still have relatively level surfaces. Unless your rail trail is soft, which it sounds like it's not, you'll be fine.

I had a horrible run on Saturday, too. Oddly enough, I find reading these other horror stories encouraging. I guess it wasn't just me. I did my eleven, but I prefer to run the distance, not walk run. I forgot my stupid water bottle, and my husband talked me out of going back for it, so I did 11 miles with no freaking water. Not the best plan. On top of that, I was running two hours later than I normally do, so it was about 10 degrees hotter. Also, we were running a new path, because it was relatively flat. Unbeknownst to us, it was also sporadically shaded. I told my husband, next time I am taking the rolling hills over the lack of shade. I ran about 6 miles before I was walk/running. I did finish and was at about the same pace I ran the half last year, so the speed improvement plan is working. But, I can't even begin to describe how deflated I was after that run. Next week will be better I hope. On the up side, I had a delightful run this morning, so I guess it was just a bad day with bad conditions.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the road camber too much. The roads are super wide, unless you are running way at the edge, it won't be noticeable at all.

Okay, I have lost track... Am I the only one on the Galloway Beginner plan? Because of 2(!) previous injuries and adjusting my plan accordingly, my longest run so far has been 6.0 miles. This upcoming Saturday I will be doing a 9.5 mile run. Anyone else along with me?

I had a horrible run on Saturday, too. Oddly enough, I find reading these other horror stories encouraging. I guess it wasn't just me. I did my eleven, but I prefer to run the distance, not walk run. I forgot my stupid water bottle, and my husband talked me out of going back for it, so I did 11 miles with no freaking water. Not the best plan. On top of that, I was running two hours later than I normally do, so it was about 10 degrees hotter. Also, we were running a new path, because it was relatively flat. Unbeknownst to us, it was also sporadically shaded. I told my husband, next time I am taking the rolling hills over the lack of shade. I ran about 6 miles before I was walk/running. I did finish and was at about the same pace I ran the half last year, so the speed improvement plan is working. But, I can't even begin to describe how deflated I was after that run. Next week will be better I hope. On the up side, I had a delightful run this morning, so I guess it was just a bad day with bad conditions.
Eek! I can't imagine running that long without water! Then again, I haven't done a long run on my own without a treadmill before and I absolutely hate running with a water bottle. It's odd, but it totally throws off my stride and my body just hates me for it. I'm gonna have to learn though if I want to train properly. At least Disney provided the water for me this weekend!

Okay, I have lost track... Am I the only one on the Galloway Beginner plan? Because of 2(!) previous injuries and adjusting my plan accordingly, my longest run so far has been 6.0 miles. This upcoming Saturday I will be doing a 9.5 mile run. Anyone else along with me?
I am doing the Experienced just to finish upright one. Starting with this Saturday 9/12, the long run weeks for the Beginner and that one line up the same, but I am a week off because I started my plan with week 2 due to every race I had on my calendar for the summer/fall falling on one of the long run weeks, so I shifted it forward a week so the races all fall on the 4 mile weeks. That's the only other difference between them, the beginner step back weeks are 3 miles and the experienced/upright ones are 4.

I will say that I had a little bit similar experience in distance jump this week and it was a little rough. I did 6.5 instead of the 8.0 two weeks ago because I had a 10K race mid-week that week. So I had kind of a large jump too going from 6.5 to 9.5.

I am doing the Experienced just to finish upright one. Starting with this Saturday 9/12, the long run weeks for the Beginner and that one line up the same, but I am a week off because I started my plan with week 2 due to every race I had on my calendar for the summer/fall falling on one of the long run weeks, so I shifted it forward a week so the races all fall on the 4 mile weeks. That's the only other difference between them, the beginner step back weeks are 3 miles and the experienced/upright ones are 4.

I will say that I had a little bit similar experience in distance jump this week and it was a little rough. I did 6.5 instead of the 8.0 two weeks ago because I had a 10K race mid-week that week. So I had kind of a large jump too going from 6.5 to 9.5.

Yeah, I bumped up my 3 mile to a 4 mile this week, since I was only able to do 6.0 instead of 8.0 the week before. I'm not sure what I will do with the 3 mile run next week as I will be at WDW (YAY!!). My DD25 has told me that we WILL be running at least the 3 miler but probably more, lol. We are staying offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and they have a running path around their lake so it should be a nice place to run anyway. Plus my DH is a bit of a drag on park time, so we may have some idle time. I also have a 10K scheduled on one of the 3 mile weeks in October.

If I jumped from 6 to 9.5 miles it would be the end of my training season. I would add just 1 mile a week (2 miles at most, every two weeks) to the long run and stick with two 30 minute runs during the week. There's a rule, "Don't add more than 10% to your current total weekly mileage." Just picture my best Gene Wilder, "Don't, stop, come back." This is a very gradual, game of patience and moderation we are playing. You will finish the race if you get a 11 miler two weeks out. You don't need to get to 14 miles two weeks out. Don't compare yourself to others, this is your training. I'm a beginner every time I ramp up the mileage; I still hit the wall at about the length of my last long run.

If I jumped from 6 to 9.5 miles it would be the end of my training season. I would add just 1 mile a week (2 miles at most, every two weeks) to the long run and stick with two 30 minute runs during the week. There's a rule, "Don't add more than 10% to your current total weekly mileage." Just picture my best Gene Wilder, "Don't, stop, come back." This is a very gradual, game of patience and moderation we are playing. You will finish the race if you get a 11 miler two weeks out. You don't need to get to 14 miles two weeks out. Don't compare yourself to others, this is your training. I'm a beginner every time I ramp up the mileage; I still hit the wall at about the length of my last long run.

So since I did 6m this past week, do 8m this week (week 10)? Then 10m instead of the 11m that is scheduled for week 12, then 12 instead of the 12.5 scheduled for week 14?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter