Will the Resort Desk keep a laptop safe for you?

bdiddy

DIS Veteran
We are having a heck of a dilemma with this upcoming trip. My husband needs to take his work laptop and from the pictures I've seen it will not fit into the room safe. We can't leave it in the hot car and he can't take the chance of leaving it in the room where it can be stolen.

Does anyone know if you can sign things in and out at the front desk and they keep them safe for you? I know there is probably still a chance it could "disappear" but at least that way they would be held accountable.

We're just not sure what to do. He's trying to work it out with his boss so he doesn't have to take it but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I told him if they make him take it then he should get in writing or something that he's not responsible if it gets stolen out of our room.

Any suggestions?

How big is it? We've been able to fit our laptop into the safes; you just sometimes have to put it on an end, not flat.

Can you deal with NOT having housekeeping come in? That way the risk of theft is much lower because the room isn't open to anyone passing by. When we've left the "do not disturb" sign up (and called housekeeping to let them know) they tend to bring a bag of toiletries and even towels by and hung it on the doorknob.

Would he be responsible for it now, if it were stolen?

I'll have to measure it when we get home but we are staying at a value this time so I'm sure we have the smallest safes. I never thought of not having housekeeping not come in. I figured they'd have to at least a few times if we are there for a week. That's a good idea though. I'm not exactly sure though what would happen if it were stolen in regards to his responsibility, the way he talks it just sounds bad if it were to happen. I'm going to measure it too and maybe call the resort and ask a few questions.

dh used a laptop lock whenever he had to travel. they run around 30-35 bucks and at least may give a light fingered louie a minute to pause and think if it's worth it. dh would anchor it around the clothes rod in the closet and tuck it into the bag as obscurely as possible. I'm sure the hotel does have a safe but if dh is taking his laptop he usually needed it nightly and didn't want to have to sign it in and out.

We always bring a laptop and never put it in the safe. Just down in the suitcase. Color us lucky but it's remained safe and sound.

The hotel has safe deposit boxes at the front desk. But I don't really think there is need to be concerned. They people who work in housekeeping are hardworking and often work many many hours to support their families here and abroad. They are not likely to risk their just above minimum wage job for a $1000 laptop that would be easily noticed to have disappeared. Particularly since Disney knows who's Key opened your door and what time, it would be foolish for them to try to steal. In fact most will not even take money left as tip unless it is left with a note indicating "for you" or the like.

We always lock our valuables in a suitcase. Never had any issues and never had to use the safes. Keep Ipads, cameras, other electronics in the suitcase and use a standard TSA lock. We do this each morning before leaving the room.

I'm going to measure it too and maybe call the resort and ask a few questions.

The issue with that is that you canNOT get to the actual resort. There is no way to call an actual resort. They will say they are there, but there aren't people at the resorts answering those phone calls.

Where are you staying?

They people who work in housekeeping are hardworking and often work many many hours to support their families here and abroad. They are not likely to risk their just above minimum wage job for a $1000 laptop that would be easily noticed to have disappeared.

It's not housekeeping that concerns me. It's the fact that housekeeping tends to work on more than one room at the same time, thereby leaving doors OPEN (with their cart in front of the one they aren't working on) so they can go back and forth easily. The rooms are open to everyone during that time. And THAT is where theft comes into play.

Hi Brandy, I had the unfortunate need to take my work laptop with me to Walt Disney World. I used a laptop lock cable too. Locking it in a suitcase is a good idea. A better idea is having your husband explain there is no secure place to keep it and they'll need to find coverage for him while he is away.

My husband put his work laptop, his hard drive and his tablet all in the safe at POP without any problem. If I were worried about a laptop not fitting, I'd get a laptop lock and secure it somewhere safe (around the pipe under the sink, or around the closet rod, maybe?).

It definitely won't fit in a value safe. Just lock it in a suitcase and it will be fine.

Hate to admit this in a public forum but we just leave our electronics out of sight in the room and we've never had a problem. A locked suitcase should be secure enough.

It's not housekeeping that concerns me. It's the fact that housekeeping tends to work on more than one room at the same time, thereby leaving doors OPEN (with their cart in front of the one they aren't working on) so they can go back and forth easily. The rooms are open to everyone during that time. And THAT is where theft comes into play.

This is very true but the thief would need to know that a laptop is in the room, would need to go around the cart and all that, get into the room, find the laptop, disable any devices linked to the laptop and then walk out with the laptop.

Putting the laptop on a locking device would stave off a lot of that. Also, putting the laptop in a locked suitcase would stave off more than that, especially with a few locked suitcases in the room. And even putting the laptop in the nightstand drawer under the Bible, well, that might be the best :)

I know this is a work laptop so theft is something seriously to be considered. However, I would think the files and software would be backed up so the worst that could happen is the hardware would need to be replaced and, well, the company would or should have insurance. That laptop could be damaged on the plane and then what would happen?

All of the resorts have safe deposit boxes like the kind at a bank behind the front desk where you can store the lap top and other valuables.

I can only speak for the Wilderness Lodge - 12 years, twice a year....

The wall Safe is likely too small for a laptop :).
I've GOT to believe the Front Desk folks would find a way to store it, if desired.
For us? 12 years, twice a year, laptop on the table in plain site, unchained.... no worries :). I log out & leave it there. I worry more about the AIRLINE monkey's stealing it :). HOWEVER - we take a cheap laptop that we can AFFORD to have stolen. All data of significance goes on a USB thumb drive, which goes in my pocket - ALWAYS. Oh - I use Safe House drive encryption on the thumb drive :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter